The Cross and the Confederate Flag

TitanTiger

I just drove 11 and a half hour. To cocoa beach. I will have plenty sun here then will have a forrest of a yard next Sunday when i get home.

Going to PCB in two weeks. One more mow should carry me through until I get back assuming the rain holds off. It was bad today. Couldn't mow last weekend after all that rain because I was on call at the hospital.

i like PCB. We will probably come here from now on. Cheaper and much less crowd. Gonna check out cape canavral more too.

We go to the same condos my family has gone to for decades on the far western end of PCB close to 30A. Away from the high-rises and nowhere near as crowded. My parents picked it because my older brother, who has 7 years on me, needed a kiddy pool.

Down past Sunnyside?

Yeah. Right on the edge of the Hollywood Beach-Sunnyside boundary.

Latitude 29. Love the place.

Yep! I have been to that part of the beach A LOT! Of course....I've been to nearly every other spot from Dauphin Island to Cape San Blas. I'm a big fan and plan to live somewhere near the coast in 13 years. Yes....I'm counting down the days. :)

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just drove 11 and a half hour. To cocoa beach. I will have plenty sun here then will have a forrest of a yard next Sunday when i get home.

Going to PCB in two weeks. One more mow should carry me through until I get back assuming the rain holds off. It was bad today. Couldn't mow last weekend after all that rain because I was on call at the hospital.

i like PCB. We will probably come here from now on. Cheaper and much less crowd. Gonna check out cape canavral more too.

We go to the same condos my family has gone to for decades on the far western end of PCB close to 30A. Away from the high-rises and nowhere near as crowded. My parents picked it because my older brother, who has 7 years on me, needed a kiddy pool.

Down past Sunnyside?

Yep! I have been to that part of the beach A LOT! Of course....I've been to nearly every other spot from Dauphin Island to Cape San Blas. I'm a big fan and plan to live somewhere near the coast in 13 years. Yes....I'm counting down the days. :)

The Chateau is where the fun stuff happened when I was 18-21 years old. That has to be the hotel that Corey Smith was singing about in his song, "If I could do it again." Four or five dudes, one room with one bed, and a 40 dollar fee per night pretty much just to store our alcohol and our clothes while we were away. Is that place still around?

Down past Sunnyside?

The Chateau is where the fun stuff happened when I was 18-21 years old. That has to be the hotel that Corey Smith was singing about in his song, "If I could do it again." Four or five dudes, one room with one bed, and a 40 dollar fee per night pretty much just to store our alcohol and our clothes while we were away. Is that place still around?

It's alive and "well"....so to speak. Still kickin' it.

Like I said, some people are not going to be content with just taking down the CF. On and on it will go. They have to ALWAYS have something to complain about.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/07/14/atlanta-naacp-chapter-calls-for-removal-massive-confederate-sculpture-in-public/

Down past Sunnyside?

Yep! I have been to that part of the beach A LOT! Of course....I've been to nearly every other spot from Dauphin Island to Cape San Blas. I'm a big fan and plan to live somewhere near the coast in 13 years. Yes....I'm counting down the days. :)/>

It's alive and "well"....so to speak. Still kickin' it.

wow chateau, memories I'd rather forget. It was 18-23 for me. We're there always a ton of Cajuns there when you went. Early 90's

Saban on the CF at media days:

"My opinion is anytime we have a symbol that represents something that's mean spirited or doesn't represent equal rights for all people, that I'm not for having that symbol represent anything we're involved in," Saban said. "It's not my decision what the governor does or what our university does. It's just my opinion and how I feel about symbols that are not positive towards human rights and everybody having equal opportunity."

and there is Thomas Donuts.............

Down past Sunnyside?

I will be right there with you good Lord willing. And yes, my countdown has begun.

There is nothing sad about it. The people that believe the flag has a deeper meaning than race has every right to buy it.

I neither said, nor implied, anything about rights.

And it's still sad.

Well then you need to give an argument for why it's sad. The cross is a horrible argument so keep that in my mind

There is nothing sad about it. The people that believe the flag has a deeper meaning than race has every right to buy it.

And it's still sad.

Well then you need to give an argument for why it's sad. The cross is a horrible argument so keep that in my mind

Not sure what that has to do with anything, but...

It's a flag that was borne of a country that really only existed because it wanted to preserve slavery. Their own words at the time make it abundantly and undeniably clear that slavery was the reason they were seceding. Regardless of any other good or noble things you think the CSA stood for, that massive stain overshadows everything else. Then in the decades after the defeat of the Confederacy, it was a flag adopted by the KKK and other white supremacists who helped enact Jim Crow laws to disenfranchise and subjugate blacks - not to mention intimidated, terrorized, beat and murdered blacks and those who sympathized with them.

As society began to awaken to this grave sin and moral blight and called for the end of these oppressive laws and segregation, those who still championed the ideas of white supremacy, segregated (but unequal) schools, restaurants, theaters and water fountains chose this same flag as their symbol. They changed state flags to incorporate it into the design. They added it to municipal and state seals and symbols. They raised it over capital domes. They waved it at their pro-segregation rallies.

When they lost those battles in the wake of the Civil Rights Act and the Voting Rights Act, it still was used as a symbol of defiance of those changes.

In spite of all of this, some still try to somehow blot that from their minds and claim it merely represents history and heritage, bravery and valor. But it means none of those things to our black neighbors, brothers and sisters in Christ (for those of us who claim to be Christians). For the overwhelming majority of blacks, it has no honor, no valor, no heritage. It is a symbol of a country that saw them as property, broke up their families, stripped them of their history, and for 100 years after they were technically freed, did everything in its power under that symbolic banner to keep a white boot on their necks. There are no visions of Scarlett O'Hara, cotillions and mint juleps on the veranda. There are visions of hard manual labor in the sweltering Southern summers, being called n***er, being lashed with a bullwhip, poverty, lynchings, rigged jury trials, treated as unclean, and hooded mobs terrorizing them in the night.

This flag has no prior history to the Confederacy that can be recovered. The Cross has that. Heck, even a swastika has that. It is a symbol whose origin and most of its implementation have been associated with nothing but suffering, pain, oppression, subjugation, dehumanization and death for black people in this country.

So in light of all that, I find it sad that the only thing that matters to some (at best) is their feelings, their associations of what the flag means and at worst is a purposeful thumbing of the nose and a middle finger to those for whom it is an inevitably and logically a wholly painful symbol. It's sad that they feel their right to display and fly it is more important than what it means to their neighbor.

And it's still sad.

Not sure what that has to do with anything, but...

It's a flag that was borne of a country that really only existed because it wanted to preserve slavery. Their own words at the time make it abundantly and undeniably clear that slavery was the reason they were seceding. Regardless of any other good or noble things you think the CSA stood for, that massive stain overshadows everything else. Then in the decades after the defeat of the Confederacy, it was a flag adopted by the KKK and other white supremacists who helped enact Jim Crow laws to disenfranchise and subjugate blacks - not to mention intimidated, terrorized, beat and murdered blacks and those who sympathized with them.

As society began to awaken to this grave sin and moral blight and called for the end of these oppressive laws and segregation, those who still championed the ideas of white supremacy, segregated (but unequal) schools, restaurants, theaters and water fountains chose this same flag as their symbol. They changed state flags to incorporate it into the design. They added it to municipal and state seals and symbols. They raised it over capital domes. They waved it at their pro-segregation rallies.

When they lost those battles in the wake of the Civil Rights Act and the Voting Rights Act, it still was used as a symbol of defiance of those changes.

In spite of all of this, some still try to somehow blot that from their minds and claim it merely represents history and heritage, bravery and valor. But it means none of those things to our black neighbors, brothers and sisters in Christ (for those of us who claim to be Christians). For the overwhelming majority of blacks, it has no honor, no valor, no heritage. It is a symbol of a country that saw them as property, broke up their families, stripped them of their history, and for 100 years after they were technically freed, did everything in its power under that symbolic banner to keep a white boot on their necks. There are no visions of Scarlett O'Hara, cotillions and mint juleps on the veranda. There are visions of hard manual labor in the sweltering Southern summers, being called n***er, being lashed with a bullwhip, poverty, lynchings, rigged jury trials, treated as unclean, and hooded mobs terrorizing them in the night.

This flag has no prior history to the Confederacy that can be recovered. The Cross has that. Heck, even a swastika has that. It is a symbol whose origin and most of its implementation have been associated with nothing but suffering, pain, oppression, subjugation, dehumanization and death for black people in this country.

So in light of all that, I find it sad that the only thing that matters to some (at best) is their feelings, their associations of what the flag means and at worst is a purposeful thumbing of the nose and a middle finger to those for whom it is an inevitably and logically a wholly painful symbol. It's sad that they feel their right to display and fly it is more important than what it means to their neighbor.

Nice read.........but it goes both ways. And people should respect others and their rights in spite of their differences.

Nice read.........but it goes both ways. And people should respect others and their rights in spite of their differences.

It goes both ways how? Again, I'm not speaking of "rights." People have the right to be uncaring, selfish and insensitive. But let's call it exactly what it is: uncaring. selfish. insensitive.

It goes both ways how? Again, I'm not speaking of "rights." People have the right to be uncaring, selfish and insensitive. But let's call it exactly what it is: uncaring. selfish. insensitive.

If merely flying a flag.....or dangling it off the front porch, is selfish, uncaring and insensitive......this country is in deep feces. Actions mean something different.

If merely flying a flag.....or dangling it off the front porch, is selfish, uncaring and insensitive......this country is in deep feces. Actions mean something different.

If it was merely flying "a" flag, then I would agree with you. But purposely flying *this* flag, knowing what it symbolizes and is associated with for so many of our neighbors *IS* uncaring, selfish and insensitive.

Well, if I have the right to fly it, I will. Your long winded "this is sad" rant was really nothing more than a waste of time. I guess that is "sad" too. My wife bought some Dixie shorts just recently. Funny thing though was that it was a black guy that sold the shorts to her. I guess that guy didn't get the memo that he was supposed to be offended. Go ahead and write me a dissertation on that comment.

Archived