Gus on ESPN

Ber798297

"Auburn is a place where we expect to win championships. We're young and inexperienced, but we're talented young."

He ran into another at ESPN.

"Hope to see you in Atlanta" in the SEC Championship Game, said South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier, who turned with a smile and said, "we'll try to hold you under 50."

Malzahn and Spurrier have been known to tee it up. Malzahn says Spurrier wins that day. "Family over golf," Malzahn said of the current state of his game.

Eight SEC coaches were on hand Tuesday, all in for a coaches roundtable, then they were individually dispatched to various studios. That was for interviews Four, Seven and 12. Or was it Two, Three and Six?

One topic: Providing players with cost of attendance checks. "I'm just happy to give the players something," Malzahn said. "Their parents will be able to go to road games."

But, mainly, Malzahn said the real benefit is the education the players will receive.

On the field, he said Johnson, his quarterback, is ahead of the game.

"I'm very pleased he's in our offense," he said, predicting Johnson will suprise people with his running ability, because everyone knows he can throw.

Maybe as importantly, he said he was pleased how Johnson waited his turn for two seasons.

"I'm real proud of the way he handled himself. He wanted to play, but he never complained or let it be a distraction."

Malzahn was asked how many tackles the energetic Muschamp might have this season.

"He's a pretty aggressive guy," Malzahn conceded.

"The great thing for me is been a head coach. I think he's very happy."

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/072115aaa.html

CKbjYE8XAAAXDQZ.jpg

via @AUGoldMine

CKb3FnKUwAAYbdP.jpg

via @AUGoldMine

CKcTe6FWEAADBu4.jpg

via @AUGoldMine

CKcXeWAWoAEHAFv.jpg

via @AUGoldMine

CKcbQL_WsAAxd3M.jpg

via @AUGoldMine

CKchyw_WwAAhfyM.jpg

via @AUGoldMine

CKckJiiWIAA3zG9.jpg

via @AUGoldMine

CKcwIEMXAAEvdyh.jpg

via @AUGoldMine

CKc3wySWIAACUsd.jpg

via @AUGoldMine

CKdTlLIWgAEEdKP.jpg

via @AUGoldMine

CKd_7ZyUEAAeBgL.jpg

via @AUGoldMine

CKem5IgUMAABmtj.jpg

via @AUGoldMine

I set my DVR for the 10 o'clock hour of Sportscenter to catch him at his 10:40 time slot while I was out running errands and fixing lunch for the kids. I sit down to watch and see Jimbo instead. So I missed Gus. Did anyone else catch him? What did he say?

The only thing I heard is that the anchor asked him if he'd named a #1 QB yet. Yes, you read that correctly.

I set my DVR for the 10 o'clock hour of Sportscenter to catch him at his 10:40 time slot while I was out running errands and fixing lunch for the kids. I sit down to watch and see Jimbo instead. So I missed Gus. Did anyone else catch him? What did he say?

The only thing I heard is that the anchor asked him if he'd named a #1 QB yet. Yes, you read that correctly.

Must be pretty easy to get a job at ESPN if you can be that clueless.

Finescum works there....so...

Finescum works there....so...

WarTim, media days are now over and fall practice begins soon. I just moved into a house about 3 miles from the stadium. I drive by often to look at the new video board. I can't speak for you or others...and the weather ain't right yet...but I got my first nip this past weekend. 46 days away.

What a band of idiots (BSPN that is) Do you know the name of the anchor?

What a band of idiots (BSPN that is) Do you know the name of the anchor?

Egor

Video here - ESPN

he said: best recruit - CWM
    QB - named in spring

(yes, they're clueless)

plus ^^^^

Of note, he was firm in saying that the College Football Playoff should be expanded to eight teams because it would “guarantee” entry for two SEC teams.

He also agreed with the idea that the SEC is at a disadvantage in the playoff because of the rigors of its conference schedule, even though other power conferences already aren’t happy that the SEC plays eight league games as opposed to nine.

“Compared to everyone else? Yeah [we’re disadvantaged],” Malzahn told me. “Look at the SEC West. All of the teams are in the top 25. What other conference can say that? Then, if you win that, you’ve got to play another really good team from the East. And then you’re in the [playoff] semi, having to win two more games. That’s why I think it’s critical that we move to eight teams [in the playoff].”

I actually wouldn't mind the 8 team format too much...that would allow for all power conference champions (probably with a stipulation that the champ have no more than, say, 3 losses), as well as three open spots for mid-major teams and a second deserving team from any power conference. :dunno:

Was that live or a replay ?.....nothing new on there and most of the comments from Gus sounded like his interviews during the SEC media week.

First time i disagree with Gus. I liked the BCS better.

So...it didn't bother you all that much when we went undefeated against the fourth most difficult schedule in the country, beating 4 top 10 teams along the way (one of them twice), and still got left out of the BCSNCG?

So...it didn't bother you all that much when we went undefeated against the fourth most difficult schedule in the country, beating 4 top 10 teams along the way (one of them twice), and still got left out of the BCSNCG?

no that was the system , but that was the only time it missed. The teams ahead of us earned the spot as well.

no that was the system , but that was the only time it missed. The teams ahead of us earned the spot as well.

It was the only time it missed? Are you forgetting that an Alabama team which didn't even win its own division somehow backed its way into the national championship game anyway?

I could be wrong (I am most of the time), but I believe that bama and FSU would have been in the championship game last year if we still had the BCS. Neither one of them would have deserved it either. I am happy with the four teams for now and will be happy if the expand it to 8. War Eagle!

It was the only time it missed? Are you forgetting that an Alabama team which didn't even win its own division somehow backed its way into the national championship game anyway?

and won it handily. I don't know any bcs champ that didn't deserve it.

and won it handily. I don't know any bcs champ that didn't deserve it.

You don't think the psychology of being given the chance for payback might have played into it? Or the LSU players remembering that they'd won in Tuscaloosa causing them to believe, even on a subconscious level, that they had it in the bag, thus giving Bama the chance to take the momentum from the very get go?

The fact of the matter is that Alabama did not belong in that game. They might well have been the best team in the country, but they didn't earn the right to play in that game on the field, which is where it counts. Their inclusion in the game was the very reason that the playoffs came into being so quickly in the first place.

I could be wrong (I am most of the time), but I believe that bama and FSU would have been in the championship game last year if we still had the BCS. Neither one of them would have deserved it either. I am happy with the four teams for now and will be happy if the expand it to 8. War Eagle!

Agreed with the happy with four and happy if they expand to 8. I don't like any farther than 8 no matter what, though, because that's approaching the point where all a team must do is be average to good for the first half to three quarters of the season before catching fire at the right time to win it all after not even winning their conference. THAT would diminish the importance of the regular season tremendously.

osu was a huge surprise. Bama was a heavy favorite. If bama played fsu or Oregon it wouldn't have been a miss. Osu improved and shocked every one.

osu was a huge surprise. Bama was a heavy favorite. If bama played fsu or Oregon it wouldn't have been a miss. Osu improved and shocked every one.

And that's why they play the games on the field rather than on paper. Which only further proves the point about Bama not having earned their place in the NC game after not winning the West, much less the conference. I mean, using your logic regarding 2012, OSU proved that they belonged FAR more than Bama did.

And that's why they play the games on the field rather than on paper. Which only further proves the point about Bama not having earned their place in the NC game after not winning the West, much less the conference. I mean, using your logic regarding 2012, OSU proved that they belonged FAR more than Bama did.

was there any doubt bammer was the best team after the smoke cleared in 2012?

Archived