Heard Pat Dye on XM

kickemintheB3

Coach Dye was on XM's college football channel (I forgot the number, sorry) and he was talking about our defense. It was pretty funny, he said that he watched the scrimmage the other day and the offense didn't score. He let that sink in for a bit (the inference being that a Malzhan offense had trouble scoring against them) then he said that it is probably the best defensive unit he's seen there in the past 10 years.

He was very complimentary on JJ saying that he is really good, and has the elements for being great. He said the true test will come during the road games. He said that the QB "earns his spurs" when he can play and win in a hostile environment. He said that JJ looked great in the first half against the hogs, but that was in front of a friendly crowd so when he starts on the road, that will tell us a lot.

Speaking of that, he mentioned that last year, when he saw that LSU was starting a freshman QB on the road at AU, he felt like Les Miles had given up. He said that there was no way a freshman QB could come in and play well, making his very first road start in Jordan-Hare.

Did anyone else hear this interview? I came in near the end and I'd like to know what else he said.

Coach Dye was on XM's college football channel (I forgot the number, sorry) and he was talking about our defense. It was pretty funny, he said that he watched the scrimmage the other day and the offense didn't score. He let that sink in for a bit (the inference being that a Malzhan offense had trouble scoring against them) then he said that it is probably the best defensive unit he's seen there in the past 10 years.

He was very complimentary on JJ saying that he is really good, and has the elements for being great. He said the true test will come during the road games. He said that the QB "earns his spurs" when he can play and win in a hostile environment. He said that JJ looked great in the first half against the hogs, but that was in front of a friendly crowd so when he starts on the road, that will tell us alot

Speaking of that, he mentioned that last year, when he saw that LSU was starting a freshman QB on the road at AU, he felt like Les Miles had given up. He said that there was no way a freshman QB could come in and play well, making his very first road start in Jordan Hare.

Did anyone else hear this interview? I came in near the end and I'd like to know what else he said.

Good stuff. Gracias

Wasn't Texas A&M's QB playing his first game on the road when they came into J-H and walked out with a win last season? If not, it was close to his first.

Wasn't Texas A&M's QB playing his first game on the road when they came into J-H and walked out with a win last season? If not, it was close to his first.

That's actually what I was thinking when he made that statement. I'm pretty sure he was a freshman making his first road start against us.

Kyle Allen did look good against us last year (as did Tyler Wilson a few years back when Ryan Mallett got hurt). The question is was his success due to his poise and acumen or due to our defense's inability to execute (i.e., get a good pass rush)?

It was his first road start. He started the week before against ULM at home. An embarrassing loss for sure.

Mitch Mustain with Arky came to JH as a freshman a few years back and walloped us. It may not have been his first road game and then of course he had Coach Malzahn as his OC.

Kyle Allen did look good against us last year (as did Tyler Wilson a few years back when Ryan Mallett got hurt). The question is was his success due to his poise and acumen or due to our defense's inability to execute (i.e., get a good pass rush)?

Probably a mixture of both. Had our defense rung his bell a time or two, that game could have gone wildly different.

Freshman Kyle Allen threw for 4 first half touchdowns against us when we were ranked #3 in November. fwiw, we'd of course shut down LSU 41-7.

From 2009-2014, Auburn was the team you wanted to start your FR QB against. Man, I hope that's over with.

Thanks for sharing your notes, kickem. Sounds like Coach is saying that this is the best defense since Muschamp was last here. I hope he's right. That's good enough to win with Gus's offense.

I heard part of the interview too. In addition to the stuff kickme shared, Dye compared the Duke situation to a similar one with Aundray Bruce during his tenure. Bruce had some discipline issues his senior year (missed a meeting, stayed out past curfew and put a dummy in his bed) and was given stadium steps to run. He balked at it -- showed up one day in flip flops and said he wasn't gonna run stadiums. Dye told him he didn't have to run the stadium, he was free to go home. Bruce relented and did what was required of him. In part because of the extra work, he was stronger and had a phenomenal season. He was the #1 pick in the draft following that season. Dye pointed out that the person Duke will hurt the most is Duke, and he has several million reasons to get with the program.

eta: Dye also mentioned that the team chemistry will be harmed if the team sees that there is a different set of rules for the stars. If you have the same standards for your #1 superstar that you have of your freshman walk-on, everyone on the team will get behind the star when he does what is required of him.

2012 that freshman QB from ULM took us into overtime in just his second start. His first was a victory at Arkansas the week before.

One thing I forgot to mention that I thought was a great statement by coach Dye. He was talking about Bama getting the #1 recruiting class for the past few years and how that really doesn't equate to winning on the field. He had a great quote, "It's not the players on your team, it's the team in your players."

One thing I forgot to mention that I thought was a great statement by coach Dye. He was talking about Bama getting the #1 recruiting class for the past few years and how that really doesn't equate to winning on the field. He had a great quote, "It's not the players on your team, it's the team in your players."

No offense, but using bama as an example of how having talented players doesn't equate to winning on the field is... how to I put this...

...They've averaged a record of 11-2 in the 8 years that saban has been there. That includes his first season when he went 7-6 with somebody else's scrubs. That means they've averaged twelve wins a season for the last seven years. They've won 3 national championships, would've played for a 4th if we hadn't beaten them at our house, and they were in the playoffs another year. Not only are they winning with the most talented roster in college football, they're doing it at a historic level in the toughest division in the toughest conference in college football. Think about that. At least 4 of their 11 losses in the last 7 years were to a conference opponent who would go on to win or at least participate in the national championship game, 3 of which being extremely close games to divisional opponents (and two of those requiring 4th-quarter comebacks by national championship-contending teams that will live forever in Auburn history). A fifth loss was last year to Ohio State, who also won the national championship. The last time they truly played a bad game was probably in the Sugar Bowl in 2008.

And all this from a coach who allowed 11 fat guys to be on the field to cover a long distance field goal attempt. It hasn't been coaching winning all those games.

I certainly hope coach dye is right. I respect him as much as anyone. But it seems too early to make that claim to me.

I also hope he's right but he's made some not so accurate assessments in the past. I mean this is the same person that said he though Chizik was a better coach than Saban.

He didn't say Chizik was a better coach than Nick Saban; he said he would take Gene Chizik over 5 Nick Sabans. I prefer to interpret that as Pat Dye's commentary on their character and as mentors of young men rather than strictly on their coaching ability. Granted, Chizik ended up not being very effective with regard to team discipline, but I still think he's a high character guy.

He didn't say Chizik was a better coach than Nick Saban; he said he would take Gene Chizik over 5 Nick Sabans. I prefer to interpret that as Pat Dye's commentary on their character and as mentors of young men rather than strictly on their coaching ability. Granted, Chizik ended up not being very effective with regard to team discipline, but I still think he's a high character guy.

Fair enough but he did state in the same interview "we couldn’t be better off than we are right now with Gene Chizik." Just saying Dye plays the homer at times for the press.

No offense, but using bama as an example of how having talented players doesn't equate to winning on the field is... how to I put this...

...They've averaged a record of 11-2 in the 8 years that saban has been there. That includes his first season when he went 7-6 with somebody else's scrubs. That means they've averaged twelve wins a season for the last seven years. They've won 3 national championships, would've played for a 4th if we hadn't beaten them at our house, and they were in the playoffs another year. Not only are they winning with the most talented roster in college football, they're doing it at a historic level in the toughest division in the toughest conference in college football. Think about that. At least 4 of their 11 losses in the last 7 years were to a conference opponent who would go on to win or at least participate in the national championship game, 3 of which being extremely close games to divisional opponents (and two of those requiring 4th-quarter comebacks by national championship-contending teams that will live forever in Auburn history). A fifth loss was last year to Ohio State, who also won the national championship. The last time they truly played a bad game was probably in the Sugar Bowl in 2008.

And all this from a coach who allowed 11 fat guys to be on the field to cover a long distance field goal attempt. It hasn't been coaching winning all those games.

:thumbsup: If anything, UAT is an example of what great recruiting CAN do for you. "Nobody can win consistently without outstanding talent. Some can't win with it, but nobody can win without it."~~~John Wooden, from his book, They Call Me Coach.

Shame on both of you .....trying to spoil the common in-house perception that Saban is just lucky and a poor coach though I doubt it was NS that sent those 11 fat guys onto the field for the FG try. Who's the Special Team coach....?

And in general "great recruiting" occurs because the players and their mommas are able to see the results on the field. A few years ago Texas as a recruiting powerhouse....but Brown failed to deliver for a few years...so he is gone and UTx is an also ran. I think Ole Miss will suffer the same fate....a couple really good recruiting years and then back to normal when the team can't get over the hump against the better SEC West teams.

Could you tell if CPD was sober during the interview?

wde

Maybe like someone once said about Bear Bryant..."i didn't know he drank until I saw him sober one day"....

.most guys like that are more quotable after a little something to loosen them up.

Could you tell if CPD was sober during the interview?

wde

Maybe like someone once said about Bear Bryant..."i didn't know he drank until I saw him sober one day"....

.most guys like that are more quotable after a little something to loosen them up.

LOL. True.

wde

Archived