Egyptian Court Sentences 3 Al Jazeera Journalists To Prison

homersapien

And I'm sure that Egypt has a thing against top notch professional reporters.

Yep.

Well, the opening link says the were convicted of "operating without a press license and broadcasting material harmful to Egypt". Neither of those laws is even permissible under our 1st Amendment.

I don't know about the current Egyptian government's overall attitude toward reporters in general, but requiring a government license to report the news and imprisoning someone for material 'harmful' to the government certainly doesn't fit my definition of a free press or free speech. Most of us posting in this forum, liberal or conservative, could be convicted of the latter.

People use to think, and many still do think, that the mainstream media , everybody but Fox, just reported the news and did not give opinion. That changed when the FOXNews appeared on the scene, and everybody could now see that what was once considered unbiased was in fact slanted and very biased.

Bizzaro world.

A blatantly conservatively-biased broadcaster comes on the scene so by definition, everyone else is leftist. :-\/>

Which broadcaster would that be? If you're trying to refer to FOXNews, then you do have it completely backwards and you are in bizarro world, Homie. FOXNews is kicking everyone's ass in the media simply because they are the only moderate/conservative view in news. You just can't grasp the concept.

People use to think, and many still do think, that the mainstream media , everybody but Fox, just reported the news and did not give opinion. That changed when the FOXNews appeared on the scene, and everybody could now see that what was once considered unbiased was in fact slanted and very biased.

Bizzaro world.

A blatantly conservatively-biased broadcaster comes on the scene so by definition, everyone else is leftist. :-\/>

Which broadcaster would that be? If you're trying to refer to FOXNews, then you do have it completely backwards and you are in bizarro world, Homie. FOXNews is kicking everyone's ass in the media simply because they are the only moderate/conservative view in news. You just can't grasp the concept.

Have you ever noticed just how many people fail to "grasp your concepts"?

Nope. Only those of a certain political point of view.

And board trolls.

Nope. Only those of a certain political point of view.

And board trolls.

Well I certainly agree your "concepts" require a "certain political point of view" - Obama Derangement Syndrome or the wing nut, reactionary, right wing thinking that accompanies it.

Knowledge isn't a four letter word, homie. Don't fear it.

We're not addressing knowledge, we are addressing your "concepts".

And most of those are a little scary.

I'm not in favor of jailing reporters but the idea that Al Jazeera is some great example of true fair and balanced journalism is laughable.

No it's not. That's an ignorant thing to say. They are one of the most highly respected news sources in the world.

It's OK not to know that, but you shouldn't speak to it as if you know what you are talking about.

Honestly, anyone that talks like that has never bothered to actually watch Al Jazeera.

I'm not in favor of jailing reporters but the idea that Al Jazeera is some great example of true fair and balanced journalism is laughable.

No it's not. That's an ignorant thing to say. They are one of the most highly respected news sources in the world.

It's OK not to know that, but you shouldn't speak to it as if you know what you are talking about.

It's sad that the best news outlets for US news are located outside this country. BBC/UK news used to be the same way, no idea if they're still just as good.

They were all in for Morsi and the Muslim brotherhood when they were in power. Oh sorry I forgot the MB were good guys. Maybe at one time they were respectable journalists but that has long since faded into history.

They were all in for Morsi and the Muslim brotherhood when they were in power. Oh sorry I forgot the MB were good guys. Maybe at one time they were respectable journalists but that has long since faded into history.

That's just BS.

It's sad that the best news outlets for US news are located outside this country. BBC/UK news used to be the same way, no idea if they're still just as good.

BBC is still good.

PBS is best for US news but they certainly don't have the reporter coverage of Al Jazeera in the ME. PBS seems to mostly contract reporters for their global coverage. But they do a decent job.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/topic/world/

http://www.pbs.org/topics/news-politics/world-news/

Archived