Dean a 'Bama Fan

rexbo

Hey, I've seen Confederate stickers pasted next to AU stickers on many a pick-up truck! My support for Dean remains intact. :)

Can you imagine the replies of Tiger AL and his left wing associates on this board if this had come from a conservative, or Republican, or even...GEORGE W. BUSH!?!?!?!?

TigerAL would have sprained a finger or two trying to get the article and a follow-up response posted!

What's funny about this is that the pick-up drivers, both with Confederate and American flags, are not going to vote for Dean. They will never agree with Dean's policy of sitting around a table in Paris and negotiating with Osama and Saddam.

What's funny about this is that the pick-up drivers, both with Confederate and American flags, are not going to vote for Dean. They will never agree with Dean's policy of sitting around a table in Paris and negotiating with Osama and Saddam.

Is that what his policy is? He has never said that he was against going into Afghanistan. Quite the opposite, really. My pickup has a flag on it and I'm voting for him and you should, too.

I do follow politics when it's time to. I just don't bore myself a year in advance with who might be a presidential candidate. Besides, they're probably all the same anyway. Dean is probably just like any other. Let me guess, get out of Iraq, grow the economy, blah blah blah......

My pickup has a flag on it and I'm voting for him and you should, too.

I would vote for Al Gore before I voted for Howard Dean. But, I would vote for Chirac before I voted for Al Gore, so that isn't saying anything. The lives and safety of my children are way too important for me to waste my vote on someone who would give our country away to the United Nations and the terrorists...

BTW, I do not own a pickup, I drive a vehicle that gets better than 30 miles per gallon; to help preserve the environment, and to reduce our dependence on foreign oil...

My pickup has a flag on it and I'm voting for him and you should, too.

I would vote for Al Gore before I voted for Howard Dean. But, I would vote for Chirac before I voted for Al Gore, so that isn't saying anything. The lives and safety of my children are way too important for me to waste my vote on someone who would give our country away to the United Nations and the terrorists...

BTW, I do not own a pickup, I drive a vehicle that gets better than 30 miles per gallon; to help preserve the environment, and to reduce our dependence on foreign oil...

So you drive a ricer? ;)

Thanks, no wonder I haven't heard of him.

jaydub, i've never heard of him either....so you aren't alone.

I hate politics so i really couldn't care less who howard dean is.

CShine, This is more bait, isn't it?

I do follow politics when it's time to. I just don't bore myself a year in advance with who might be a presidential candidate. Besides, they're probably all the same anyway. Dean is probably just like any other. Let me guess, get out of Iraq, grow the economy, blah blah blah......

For the Democrats it's not a year in advance. The primaries begin in January.

Then what compels you to post about topics that you have no interest in or knowledge of? It was the same thing with the World Series thread. I'm not bitching at you, it just doesn't make sense.

Then what compels you to post about topics that you have no interest in or knowledge of? It was the same thing with the World Series thread. I'm not bitching at you, it just doesn't make sense.

Lighten up dude....just letting a fellow poster know, he wasn't the only one that has no clue who that guy is....

c'mon Al...you gotta admit that the PC police would indeed be all over this if it had come from someone of the conservative persuasion.

yet, this is just another example how out-of-touch dean is with the people he wants to vote for him.

at best, he's stereotyping...

at worse, he's a racist.

i thought both of those were taboo according to the PC crowd...oh wait...i forgot about the double-standard...

c'mon Al...you gotta admit that the PC police would indeed be all over this if it had come from someone of the conservative persuasion.

yet, this is just another example how out-of-touch dean is with the people he wants to vote for him.

at best, he's stereotyping...

at worse, he's a racist.

i thought both of those were taboo according to the PC crowd...oh wait...i forgot about the double-standard...

If you noticed, Gephardt and Kerry WERE all over him. I didn't interpret his comment as stereotypical because he was talking about a real segment of Southerners, not Southerners as a whole. I think he's being overly optimistic about getting those votes, though. Those votes left the Democratic Party the moment Johnson signed the Civil Rights Act of 1965.

of course he was stereotyping!

your 'real segment' comment doesn't make any sense...any stereotyping is done of a 'real segment' isn't it?

he evidently believes that there is some innate characteristic in people who fly confederate flags in their trucks that makes them all think/vote/feel the same....

why didn't he just say, "I still want to be the candidate for guys who wear shirts on Mondays" ???

and you are right in pointing out that kerry & gephardt are bashing him for it...

think about that, too, Al... exactly what are they bashing? THEY must be buying into some type of stereotyping, if they are bashing him for his comments, no? they evidently believe that a "good democrat" can't get that vote.

now, interestingly enough, stereotypes don't really bother me... hypocrisy does. i do believe you could develop a strong list of ideals that most 'flag-bearers' believe in...

as far as believing the democratic party lost the "southern vote" in 1965, do you hold out the possibility that there may be just ONE other reason why the democratic party hasn't fared well in the south in the recent past other than the "they must be racist!" idea? just ONE, al?

this whole bru-ha ha is just another example of symbolism over substance.

rather than talk about ideas, they're talking about southern white families not voting the 'right' way.

He was only stereotyping if he was painting all Southerners with the 'confederate flag-waving' brush. I don't think he was and I didn't take it that way. If you meant that he was stereotyping all confederate flag-wavers as being non-Democrats, maybe he was. I don't think it was said maliciously. In all honesty, I have never met anyone who supports the confederacy to the point of displaying its' flag on shirts, stickers, etc. who was a Democrat. I'll always allow for the possibility, though.

The CRA of 1965 was a very polarizing piece of legislation which drove vast numbers of Southern Democrats away from the party. Is it the ONLY thing the Democratic Party supports that is unappealling to voters in the Bible Belt? No. But, much of the discord is caused, I think, by misperceptions about what the Dems are about.

... I don't think it was said maliciously....

i wholeheartedly agree.

i think he genuinely thought he was making a statement that would help him in the upcoming elections.

in fact, i think that kerry & geph's reaction is an opportunity for dean to zing them back.

their reaction pretty much alienates them from the voters dean seems to be courting...

yet, i'm not sure any of the 3 have much of a chance in the deep south unless they align themselves w/ one of the southern candidates... could that be what edwards is looking for... a VP slot? clark??

Archived