Randy Campbell

AuCivilEng1

Sorry if this has been posted. And if it hasn't I'm sorry I can't post it. I don't know how. Randy Campbell did a nice little phone interview this week where he talked about what he thought was going on with JJ. Has anyone seen it yet? And could a mod post it if it isn't on here?

the 15 min. portion with:

Former Auburn quarterback Randy Campbell joined GameDay Bunker Tuesday with Jack Crowe and Rob Pate where he discussed the play of Jeremy Johnson, Auburn's win over Jacksonville State and the Tigers' remaining schedule.

auburn.247sports.com/Bolt/Randy-Campbell-weighs-in-on-Auburn-Jeremy-Johnson-39476955

Good interview and guess he was not quite as hard on JJ as aubaseball suggests...but did indicate that Gus needs to give him the word..."perform...or someone else will be out there". Campbell did indicate that after the JSU game, if he were the QB coach at AU he would be really worried about JJ.

JMO but if you want to understand AU's QB problems and JJ's problems too, just look at the 2012 and 2013 Rivals QB ratings. Check the 4* and 5* QBs from those years who are mostly seniors this season......see how many of those names you recognize....players who were rated the best in nation coming out of HS ...and are virtually unknown now. The step from HS to Power 5 football is much larger than some folks admit...and what these guys did in HS does not always (or typically) translate to their college performance.

Interesting points, especially about QB play in the SEC right now being the worst it's been in a long time.

Nobody respects former wishbone wizard Randy more than me but his opining on JJ is like Jeremy Shockey commenting about some highly touted but struggling college wide receiver.

I listened to the podcast last night, and the way I interpreted it was more that Jeremy needs to be 'bloodied in battle' a little bit. Get out there and knock heads a little bit more and get up and knock the dust off and do it again. Realize that you're a football player and you're as tough as anybody out there and let your teammates see that, too. I get the impression that Randy believes that, while the team is behind Jeremy and believe in his ability to lead them as the QB, unconsciously, there's still some doubt because he hasn't done it yet.

I listened to the podcast last night, and the way I interpreted it was more that Jeremy needs to be 'bloodied in battle' a little bit. Get out there and knock heads a little bit more and get up and knock the dust off and do it again. Realize that you're a football player and you're as tough as anybody out there and let your teammates see that, too. I get the impression that Randy believes that, while the team is behind Jeremy and believe in his ability to lead them as the QB, unconsciously, there's still some doubt because he hasn't done it yet.

Good point...AND, there does not seem to be anyone else on the offensive side of the ball to step up as "team leader"....and JJ appears to be a mild mannered guy.. So who is going to be the spark plug for the team?

Interesting points, especially about QB play in the SEC right now being the worst it's been in a long time.

Nobody respects former wishbone wizard Randy more than me but his opining on JJ is like Jeremy Shockey commenting about some highly touted but struggling college wide receiver.

IDK, Randy probably threw 30 or more passes as AU's QB.

It was more jack Crowe saying the bloodied part and getting Randy to say that and he just said yeah. Randy said different qb respond different ways, he said he responded better to getting chewed out.

What I don't understand is they mentioned they don't know what the coaching staff is doing now, so how do they know jj hasn't been chewed out?

Jeremy comes from a military family, and also has quite a few brothers and sisters. I doubt he has trouble receiving instructions. Jeremy has been the leader of his football and basketball teams since a sophomore, I doubt he has trouble being a leader. Not to mention they said he took over the Alabama all star team and how he took a leadership role in recruiting. He may not have been giving us the results we want but trying to make him mentally weak or question his character doesn't make sense to me. I also find it somewhat appalling that apparently people have a problem with him still being confident after this start. Whereas if he lost confidence it would really be bad as well.

Lastly I noticed Randy said he didn't get nervous until after the second game, most of you that's on meltdown mode did that after the first. What I don't understand them still bringing up the int that was called back....It was clear as day jj saw they were offsides so he took a shot. I find it weird that apparently nobody on this show understand that....

It was more jack Crowe saying the bloodied part and getting Randy to say that and he just said yeah. Randy said different qb respond different ways, he said he responded better to getting chewed out.

What I don't understand is they mentioned they don't know what the coaching staff is doing now, so how do they know jj hasn't been chewed out?

Jeremy comes from a military family, and also has quite a few brothers and sisters. I doubt he has trouble receiving instructions. Jeremy has been the leader of his football and basketball teams since a sophomore, I doubt he has trouble being a leader. Not to mention they said he took over the Alabama all star team and how he took a leadership role in recruiting. He may not have been giving us the results we want but trying to make him mentally weak or question his character doesn't make sense to me. I also find it somewhat appalling that apparently people have a problem with him still being confident after this start. Whereas if he lost confidence it would really be bad as well.

Lastly I noticed Randy said he didn't get nervous until after the second game, most of you that's on meltdown mode did that after the first. What I don't understand them still bringing up the int that was called back....It was clear as day jj saw they were offsides so he took a shot. I find it weird that apparently nobody on this show understand that....All good points. Everything I have heard of JJ tells me he is a great human and an example of a true AU man. He is also very talented. I look forward to His Success.

Lastly I noticed Randy said he didn't get nervous until after the second game, most of you that's on meltdown mode did that after the first. What I don't understand them still bringing up the int that was called back....It was clear as day jj saw they were offsides so he took a shot. I find it weird that apparently nobody on this show understand that....

I don't get the last part either. It was a free play! If anything, he would've been wrong if he didn't throw it up for grabs.

I have seen teams that knee or spike it when a defender is offsides instead of taking the free play. That makes zero sense IMO

I don't get the last part either. It was a free play! If anything, he would've been wrong if he didn't throw it up for grabs.

It was discussed after Randy hung up that the one pick Jeremy threw was a freebie. I will take that pass all day long except if I had an arm like Jeremy I would throw it straight to my receiver and let him make a play on it rather than try to lead him to the endzone. No biggie though just a different way of thinking.

I agree with Randy, if JJ has more than one INT, we will not win. IMO, if he has 2 or more in the first half, we need to give Shaun White a shot. JJ might be better coming off the bench after he gets to sit and watch for a while.

And I don't see Shaun doing any worse. War Eagle

Just for the record, it is Sean. Unless y'all are talking about the snowboarder, Shaun White. If y'all are, it is five o clock here and I definitely need to catch up with y'all.

Interesting, from Charles Goldberg's article:

Johnson's five interceptions have distracted from his game. But want to know who has thrown for the most yards through the first two games of a season since Cam Newton showed up at Auburn in 2010? Not Cam Newton or Nick Marshall.

The answer is Barrett Trotter.

Trotter passed for 407 yards in the first two games in 2011. The runner-up? Jeremy Johnson this season. Johnson passed for 373 yards against Louisville and Jacksonville State, completing 60.4 percent of his passes.

Archived