7 D'haquille Takeaways

Dual-Threat Rigby

Please stop with the "Duke was a cancer that sowed seeds in the locker room" conspiracy talk. Nobody is in the know. We don't know how other players felt about him. I doubt the locker room will be divided about this decision but I also think that the team is not all of a sudden gonna start playing 100 times better

I've actually heard there might be some issues in this realm before the season started. Some players feel Duke got special treatment and got away with things that a lot of other folks wouldn't have - and not just with the mouthing off and off the field stuff. He could give half effort in practice and then later even in games, and still get playing time while others who worked their asses off didn't.

So I wouldn't discount it. Let's just say that I believe one could safely say that Duke certainly wasn't helping the locker room culture overall. People admired him for being a warrior against Bama and the work he did on the field last season. But he was definitely wearing thin on many.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol at your assessment of Sammie....where do you get it? It's not from the field. It wasn't a game you saw Sammie not giving his all and duke then picked up the effort for both of them... Duke can't operate without Sammie

Is Sammie your baby daddy or something?

He's right. Sammie has more speed and Duke is a better pass catcher and more physical, but Sammie didn't loaf. And Duke can't take the top off the defense like Sammie could. Sammie's speed and deep threat ability helped Duke have more openings and vice versa.

Lol at your assessment of Sammie....where do you get it? It's not from the field. It wasn't a game you saw Sammie not giving his all and duke then picked up the effort for both of them... Duke can't operate without Sammie

He's right. Sammie has more speed and Duke is a better pass catcher and more physical, but Sammie didn't loaf. And Duke can't take the top off the defense like Sammie could. Sammie's speed and deep threat ability helped Duke have more openings and vice versa.

Let's not forget that Sammie had (and still does, if you saw that third down drop Thursday night) hands of stone. Duke would've operated fine in this offense if there had been a competent QB running it. Sammie may have drawn some attention to his side of the field, but I guarantee you Duke freed Sammie up more so than the other way around, especially in the Iron Bowl. Also, Sammie gave up on tons of catchable balls that were slightly overthrown.

What happened? This comes as a big surprise to me.

It shouldn't have. Duke has been suspended twice before since January. But this time, he got into a fight with the bouncers at Skybar in Auburn on Saturday night. There may or may not have been another altercation later that evening. He was on zero-tolerance after the second incident so he's gone.

It shouldn't have. Duke has been suspended twice before since January. But this time, he got into a fight with the bouncers at Skybar in Auburn on Saturday night. There may or may not have been another altercation later that evening. He was on zero-tolerance after the second incident so he's gone.

And who knows how many other incidents have occurred and kept under wraps.

7. We need to ban Auburn players from anything bad near the Auburn area. Don't go to Montgomery period unless it's for family (which I feel bad saying because I like Montgomery, but I know it and I know the locations), don't go to no "night clubs", etc etc. We have guys fighting, guys getting shot, guys damn near getting shot, guys ruining their careers, I don't think this'll dispel all trouble, but maybe when we got an Auburn athlete riding down a neighborhood, maybe with these words in the back of his head, he'll keep it pushing instead of stopping and perusing the location at all. I don't know it seems like a solution to me

Gus for sure need to ban all players from the Skybar. There have been enough incidents there over time to justify that.

Let's not forget that Sammie had (and still does, if you saw that third down drop Thursday night) hands of stone. Duke would've operated fine in this offense if there had been a competent QB running it. Sammie may have drawn some attention to his side of the field, but I guarantee you Duke freed Sammie up more so than the other way around, especially in the Iron Bowl. Also, Sammie gave up on tons of catchable balls that were slightly overthrown.

I'm loathe to get into it with you, but this is one of the most inaccurate posts I've seen in a season full of them.

My understanding is the bouncers pushed the issue, but Duke had to know it wasn't a good idea. Zac Etheridge tweeted this out (which adds to what I was told).

Zac Etheridge

18 mins ·

Now that I've heard the real story behind Duke Incident.. And If I was in Dukes shoes I must say I would've done the same thing.. But Praying for that kid it's bigger then just Football..‪#‎IStillSupportGusDecision4ourProgram‬ ‪#‎WDE‬

I have heard Skybar's bouncers can be buttholes without much provocation. But the recurring issue with Duke is controlling his emotions. Even when he feels he's in the right. Once again, he showed he hasn't learned, or refuses to learn, that lesson.

So Duke was fighting over you in the club? And what football did you play where the inside slot freed up the outside way more than outside freed inside....I really want an answer to that.

And lastly Duke has been dropping passes since A day....what about his hands of stone you failed to mention?

Lol dudes like you make me laugh, two different opinions, which is cool, but because mine not in line with yours as far as duke I get the stupid comment when you are doing THE EXACT SAME THING as far as Duke. But you can't even see it lol

I'm loathe to get into it with you, but this is one of the most inaccurate posts I've seen in a season full of them.

Seriously just talk football to him. Ask about concepts or how he came to a conclusion he will either shut up or attack you either way you'll pull his card

My understanding is the bouncers pushed the issue, but Duke had to know it wasn't a good idea. Zac Etheridge tweeted this out (which adds to what I was told).

Zac Etheridge

18 mins ·

Now that I've heard the real story behind Duke Incident.. And If I was in Dukes shoes I must say I would've done the same thing.. But Praying for that kid it's bigger then just Football..‪#‎IStillSupportGusDecision4ourProgram‬ ‪#‎WDE‬

I just wrote in the other post before I saw this one as far as fights you can't rush to judgment. You never know

I have heard Skybar's bouncers can be buttholes without much provocation. But the recurring issue with Duke is controlling his emotions. Even when he feels he's in the right. Once again, he showed he hasn't learned, or refuses to learn, that lesson.

Agree. By putting himself in this situation regardless of the circumstances he broadcasted continued poor judgement. This was most likely an opportunity to go ahead and cut-ties as they should have.

This has been suggested before by some of you last week, but since the Duke dismissal, I'm suggesting it again: I would like to see Roc tried some in that slot position just to see how a powerful fast back like him would do there. If it does not work out, then we would know. When another RB like Barber is in there, try Roc there a few times to give the other defense another unusual look to try to stop.

Agree. By putting himself in this situation regardless of the circumstances he broadcasted continued poor judgement. This was most likely an opportunity to go ahead and cut-ties as they should have.

He could've walked it away. I am not going to waste my time for dealing with the buttholes!

Inaccurate in what regard? That Sammie was a terrible pass catcher, that Duke would thrive in an offense with a competent QB or that Duke helped Sammie more than Sammie helped Duke? Or all three? I'm prepared to defend any of the three, I just want clarification before I start.

5. I believe his incident has something to do with the performance by Auburn. I'm sure he went to the wrong scenery (not necessarily a nightclub, which has basically become the name for any seedy area if you're a coach), and heard some insulting things, possibly pertaining to the team, and he popped off. Duke obviously is from an area where you had to have quite a bit of fierceness to survive and/or thrive. Unfortunately, he was provoked/put himself in a situation to be provoked one too many times.

I'll take issue with this. His attitude has been a problem from day one. He has always had a hard time controlling himself. He got suspended before the Outback Bowl. Then this August, before we'd had any poor performance to bother him and when preseason predictions for Auburn and Duke were sky high, he gets himself into trouble at practice and is suspended again. This was the last straw.

Duke is gonna Duke. He doesn't have to be provoked because anything to Duke can be a provocation. Coach Craig has taken him under his wing, tried to mentor him, tried to teach him how to handle his emotions, channel his emotions. Duke doesn't want to be taught. He wants to act on whatever he's feeling right now, in the moment, whether that's shooting off his mouth or getting into a fight.

I get that the season has been frustrating, but that simply doesn't explain Duke getting himself into yet another situation. Duke can invent new ways to get into situations because he's not teachable.

damn, i will have to remember this for certain political thread discussions! :rolleyes:

I got it from the fact that Sammie was crippled over half the season. Sammie wouldn't have been able to operate that entire season without Duke either. Obviously Sammie (or this offense) had some games where he had flashes of being healthy and out gained Duke many of those times, but that doesn't constitute a half of the season likely.

Sammie's job was to take the top off the defense. He was doubled and was still able to do that. Only thing that helped Sammie do his job was the run game. We saw Sammie do the same things without duke. Can't say that the other way around

Im tired of the one trick ponies we have at receiver. I don't like deep threat roles and speed sweep guys. Duke was the closest receiver we had to actually being somewhat well rounded.

Exactly

I got it from the fact that Sammie was crippled over half the season. Sammie wouldn't have been able to operate that entire season without Duke either. Obviously Sammie (or this offense) had some games where he had flashes of being healthy and out gained Duke many of those times, but that doesn't constitute a half of the season likely.

Sammie's job was to take the top off the defense. He was doubled and was still able to do that. Only thing that helped Sammie do his job was the run game. We saw Sammie do the same things without duke. Can't say that the other way around

Im tired of the one trick ponies we have at receiver. I don't like deep threat roles and speed sweep guys. Duke was the closest receiver we had to actually being somewhat well rounded.

Exactly

Did y'all get the part about mental issues? Nobody is saying he doesn't have talent...it is the between the ears thing... get it?

You write: "Duke was personally my favorite player on this team"

This surprises....... No one!

You write: "willingness to throw his everything out on the field"

You were one of the few, maybe the only person that saw this. With Dukes talent, if he had J Walls personality he would be a multi, multi millionaire next year. This one is all on Duke and his multiple chances that he pi$$ed away.

I was referencing last year you dolt.

Since Duke gets no love for not diving at every ball, Sammie rarely did the same last year.

Exactly

Did y'all get the part about mental issues? Nobody is saying he doesn't have talent...it is the between the ears thing... get it?

No. You're not getting what I'm saying. I'm just saying I want more well rounded receivers. Duke was all we had to come close to that.

Exactly

What does that have to do with Duke's ability? I didn't bring that up at any point, dude gets in some bad situations and responds to bad situation badly

Since Duke gets no love for not diving at every ball, Sammie rarely did the same last year.

If you can't see it was MUCH more than just diving for balls...Duke loafed on backside of plays, constantly missed blocks or half assed it.

Archived