7 D'haquille Takeaways

Dual-Threat Rigby

I feel like Duke knew he could go to the NFL last year but the iron bowl made him want to come back.

He looked so pumped up on every play late in that game. even when he was hurt, he continued to put his body on the line.

He thought he'd come back and have a QB who would throw the ball to him constantly (except for when he was triple covered, Duke probably couldn't have ever pulled those out)

And once he realized JJ couldn't do it and the coaches weren't gonna change anything, it made him mad. Couldn't get the recognition he deserved whether he was "loafing" or giving it his all.

Thus came depression and anger, fights, mouthing off to coaches, arrogance, etc.

Duke is the most talented receiver auburn has fielded in a while. No offense to the rest of the team but Duke knew with Carl on the sidelines, that he was by far the most talented player on our team. (And on the field in many cases)

And when no one helped get him going, he quit helping everyone else.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel like Duke knew he could go to the NFL last year but the iron bowl made him want to come back.

He looked so pumped up on every play late in that game. even when he was hurt, he continued to put his body on the line.

He thought he'd come back and have a QB who would throw the ball to him constantly (except for when he was triple covered, Duke probably couldn't have ever pulled those out)

And once he realized JJ couldn't do it and the coaches weren't gonna change anything, it made him mad. Couldn't get the recognition he deserved whether he was "loafing" or giving it his all.

Thus came depression and anger, fights, mouthing off to coaches, arrogance, etc.

Duke is the most talented receiver auburn has fielded in a while. No offense to the rest of the team but Duke knew with Carl on the sidelines, that he was by far the most talented player on our team. (And on the field in many cases)

duke was a baller. No doubt.

We all know Auburn will go on continuing being the great university it is and has been but for this young man he sounds like he has some serious anger issues, which coupled with bad circumstances, can lead to serious trouble. (see death and injures caused by these types of situations already at Auburn) I guess what I'm trying to say is even if Titan says he is unteachable we as great Auburn men and women should keep him in our prayers, sounds as though he is going to need them.

can they not take these guys with that rage in them and treat them with an antidepressant or something? i just cannot see some kids needing help that way and not getting it. depression is more often anger than sadness. are they afraid it would steal his edge? i can only imagine what runs through dukes mind. not taking up for him but curious. are mental issues off limits or something?

Basically

I don't see any talents Duke had that Courtney Taylor didn't. I don't see ANYTHING to suggest Duke is an all time great or did things or had gifts that other receivers didn't possess.

I don't see any talents Duke had that Courtney Taylor didn't. I don't see ANYTHING to suggest Duke is an all time great or did things or had gifts that other receivers didn't possess.

7ac.jpg

And that's the difference between a Leader and Follower. In his case, other younger players had to be looking up to him. And for him to act as such a parasite to the moral of the team, he needs to be somewhere else.

can they not take these guys with that rage in them and treat them with an antidepressant or something? i just cannot see some kids needing help that way and not getting it. depression is more often anger than sadness. are they afraid it would steal his edge? i can only imagine what runs through dukes mind. not taking up for him but curious. are mental issues off limits or something?

Dr. Hankes is in his eighth year working with Auburn University Athletics serving as sport psychologist with the OPS Team. He also serves as the director of Auburn University Student Counseling Services and is a licensed psychologist.

http://www.auburntig...kes_doug00.html

As a student-athlete enters their career at Auburn University, there can be times where the ability to adapt quickly to escalating demands brought on by the fast-pace life of college can seem overwhelming. It is critical that a team of knowledgeable healthcare professionals with a diverse background be available to help the student-athlete construct an appropriate management style to help them consistently achieve their best level of performance.

Created in 1994, The Optimum Performance in Sports (OPS) Team encompasses an array of health care professionals. The purpose of the OPS team is to serve as a resource so that Auburn athletes can improve their abilities in the classroom and in life as well as on the playing field. Our team consists of physicians, nutritionists, dietitians, psychologists, and other health care professionals who work collaboratively, each utilizing their experience and skills so that Auburn athletes receive the very best care, when they need it.

The OPS Team points of emphasis include but are not limited to: stress management, confidence-building, motivational techniques, health promotion (nutrition, alcohol education), competition concerns, mental training/sport psychology, anxiety, burnout, and eating disorders.

http://www.auburntig...e_ops_team.html

And depression is not more often anger than sadness. Anger is the way that men cope, deal, hide and express their depression.

Dr. Hankes is in his eighth year working with Auburn University Athletics serving as sport psychologist with the OPS Team. He also serves as the director of Auburn University Student Counseling Services and is a licensed psychologist.

http://www.auburntig...kes_doug00.html

As a student-athlete enters their career at Auburn University, there can be times where the ability to adapt quickly to escalating demands brought on by the fast-pace life of college can seem overwhelming. It is critical that a team of knowledgeable healthcare professionals with a diverse background be available to help the student-athlete construct an appropriate management style to help them consistently achieve their best level of performance.

Created in 1994, The Optimum Performance in Sports (OPS) Team encompasses an array of health care professionals. The purpose of the OPS team is to serve as a resource so that Auburn athletes can improve their abilities in the classroom and in life as well as on the playing field. Our team consists of physicians, nutritionists, dietitians, psychologists, and other health care professionals who work collaboratively, each utilizing their experience and skills so that Auburn athletes receive the very best care, when they need it.

The OPS Team points of emphasis include but are not limited to: stress management, confidence-building, motivational techniques, health promotion (nutrition, alcohol education), competition concerns, mental training/sport psychology, anxiety, burnout, and eating disorders.

http://www.auburntig...e_ops_team.html

And depression is not more often anger than sadness. Anger is the way that men cope, deal, hide and express their depression.

Can we get them to come some of our posts?

i do. I think he was as fast, much stronger and had more ability to adjust his body to the ball. He played hurt at the end last year and the offense just couldn't get out of the mud so far this year. I really hate to lose him. I don't think he is a terrible person. He just had too much too overcome culturally. He definitely needed to stay out of bars.

JMO but at no point was Courtney Taylor ever considered more than a fringe NFL draft prospect as Duke certainly would've been selected in the first 5 rounds of the draft IMO if he finished the year. He still might be actually, depending on how much other BS he did that NFL teams will find out about.

But after reading Johnny Manziel's NFL draft scouting report by one of the teams I'm sure there will be all kinds of stuff uncovered about Duke...I just hope most of it is from prior to him getting to AU

Duke's lowest draft projections were middle second round, and nobody voiced those until after his dismissal.

Dude made at least 4 catches last year that I've never seen an Auburn receiver make, and a couple that I've only seen Calvin Johnson or Odell Beckham make.

Duke's lowest draft projections were middle second round, and nobody voiced those until after his dismissal.

Dude made at least 4 catches last year that I've never seen an Auburn receiver make, and a couple that I've only seen Calvin Johnson or Odell Beckham make.

Duke is an overrated talent. Solid possession receiver with poor effort and bad route running; he wasn't going "first round" regardless.

Duke is an overrated talent. Solid possession receiver with poor effort and bad route running; he wasn't going "first round" regardless.

I was negligent to leave out "before this season". Easily a first round pick if he had maintained his production from last season.

I was negligent to leave out "before this season". Easily a first round pick if he had maintained his production from last season.

Not easily at all. His production from last season wasn't impressive at all. You know how many receivers across the country put up gaudy numbers that make Duke's look like nothing?

He wasn't going to test incredibly well at the Combine either. Nor would he impress physically as he looks hilariously pudgy for a receiver.

He's got obvious ball skills (when he's trying), and some strength/toughness, but he lacks elite athleticism, lacks the ability to create separation, and he's an average at best route runner. Guys like that don't get drafted in the 1st round. Its not like he's 6'5 and therefore presents serious mismatch potential either; he's only about 6'2. Receivers that get drafted in the 1st round are either freakishly athletic (explosive/fast), or they create serious mismatch potential (ie: size, or speed).

Not easily at all. His production from last season wasn't impressive at all. You know how many receivers across the country put up gaudy numbers that make Duke's look like nothing?

He wasn't going to test incredibly well at the Combine either. Nor would he impress physically as he looks hilariously pudgy for a receiver.

He's got obvious ball skills (when he's trying), and some strength/toughness, but he lacks elite athleticism, lacks the ability to create separation, and he's an average at best route runner. Guys like that don't get drafted in the 1st round. Its not like he's 6'5 and therefore presents serious mismatch potential either; he's only about 6'2. Receivers that get drafted in the 1st round are either freakishly athletic (explosive/fast), or they create serious mismatch potential (ie: size, or speed).

this is why i think he didn't go last year. he was out of shape at the end of the season after the injury and suspension. sammie was so far ahead in measurables.

i do. I think he was as fast, much stronger and had more ability to adjust his body to the ball. He played hurt at the end last year and the offense just couldn't get out of the mud so far this year. I really hate to lose him. I don't think he is a terrible person. He just had too much too overcome culturally. He definitely needed to stay out of bars.

I don't think he was close to being as fast, he may have been stronger, he couldn't jump higher. He does have great body control but to be honest he didn't do anything I can see to say he's the most talented wr we've ever had. I wish we could've seen with a better offense if he could handle being a number 1 or not

But he can get open, get u first downs, and most importantly catch the damn ball.

You just described about a hundred NFL receivers. "Getting open" in College is entirely different than the NFL. He doesn't create real separation.

I realize that our expectations for a receiver are super-low and that his hype out of JUCO was enormous; but his ability really isn't even close to what Auburn fans seem to assume it is. I mean, is he even one of the 3 or 5 best receivers in this Conference? He's probably around 3rd-5th if he even makes that list. He's not even close to Amari Cooper from a year ago,and that is basically your baseline for a truly "elite" Collegiate receiver.

A wr that doesn't have elite athleticism needs to be amazing at route running in the NFL. Really practice their craft and a fantastic work ethic

I was thinking the same thing about Courtney. Would rather have 3 of him.

But he can get open, get u first downs, and most importantly catch the damn ball.

You just described about a hundred NFL receivers. "Getting open" in College is entirely different than the NFL. He doesn't create real separation.

I realize that our expectations for a receiver are super-low and that his hype out of JUCO was enormous; but his ability really isn't even close to what Auburn fans seem to assume it is. I mean, is he even one of the 3 or 5 best receivers in this Conference? He's probably around 3rd-5th if he even makes that list. He's not even close to Amari Cooper from a year ago,and that is basically your baseline for a truly "elite" Collegiate receiver.

Exactly a hundred NFL receivers, he could easily be in that group...so barring him screwing up again he will get a chance to play. He has the skill set and ability to play at the next level.

Not to mention that every single number from last year was directly proportional to Sammie Coates' performance on the other end of the line. Duke was able to do what he did because defenses had to double Coates, and when Duke started getting some action they switched their attention to him. I don't think he was nearly as viable a threat without Coates to take the pressure off him. Couple that with a below average work ethic, and an affinity for off-the-field shenanigans....

And for those who mentioned never seen Auburn receivers make catches like him, or he's the best ever in Auburn history...go do your research. Check out Frank Sanders, Courtney Taylor, Terry Beasley, Karsten Bailey, Tyrone Goodson...

Archived