7 D'haquille Takeaways

Dual-Threat Rigby

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Duke's lowest draft projections were middle second round, and nobody voiced those until after his dismissal.

Dude made at least 4 catches last year that I've never seen an Auburn receiver make, and a couple that I've only seen Calvin Johnson or Odell Beckham make.

Duke is an overrated talent. Solid possession receiver with poor effort and bad route running; he wasn't going "first round" regardless.

I'm assuming regardless is ignoring "if he continued playing like he did last year" because in that case, then yeah you're correct

A real man could come up with 8 takeaways.

#8. This forum really knows how to switch it up when a guy gets dismissed and if Auburn also happens to be bad around that time, then that guy immediately becomes the sole reason Auburn is bad.

That's 8

Duke isn't the reason the team was bad IMO, but I do think it is possible his presence soured the locker room and the number of chances he got coupled with his always being on the field rubbed quite a few guys the wrong way which probably eliminated that "extra effort" that is really needed to get into the next gear. Maybe we see a little more energy from the players but I'm not expecting the team to magically look like the first half of Arky last year

Duke isn't the reason the team was bad IMO, but I do think it is possible his presence soured the locker room and the number of chances he got coupled with his always being on the field rubbed quite a few guys the wrong way which probably eliminated that "extra effort" that is really needed to get into the next gear. Maybe we see a little more energy from the players but I'm not expecting the team to magically look like the first half of Arky last year

This. However; even IF Duke was the only bad apple in barrel, it is Gus' fault for allowing it. Gus knew what Duke was long before this past weekend and allowed him to remain on the team.

wde

If that's the case every person on the team needs to be replaced.

Surely in your basketball experiences you have seen how team chemistry or personal issues between players can affect the teams performance on game day on some level. I think it's natural to just tend to go harder for the guys around you if you guys have a good bond. IMO anyways. I think thats why team chemistry is such a big deal in team sports.

Maybe I'm drawing from my own experiences and I just had weak minded teammates lol

Surely in your basketball experiences you have seen how team chemistry or personal issues between players can affect the teams performance on game day on some level. I think it's natural to just tend to go harder for the guys around you if you guys have a good bond. IMO anyways. I think thats why team chemistry is such a big deal in team sports.

Maybe I'm drawing from my own experiences and I just had weak minded teammates lol

i somewhat agree. i didn't earlier when it seemed Duke's problems were away from the field. But punching a teammate, if that happened especially at practice the day after you punch four people in a bar is psychotic behavior. there is no telling what all he was getting stirred up. i disagree with previous posts that downplay his talent, he is very talented.

Had strong chemistry with some teammates that I never hung with. Even pick up games in the ACT strong chemistry with guys that I didn't know at all. But I've NEVER been on a team football or basketball where people didn't try their best because of a guy on a team. Been part of plenty of teams where some highly talented players are butt holes. Long as those guys performed on court or fired there wasn't ever a problem. I remind you of Kobe and Jordan both punching teammates before. Cam and Norman got in a fight this summer and both are leaders on the Panthers offense and defense....

Peyton was a butt hole in college, everybody knows Brady isn't treated like everyone else....why this board is so gullible as far as fighting and attitudes of football players idk

Had strong chemistry with some teammates that I never hung with. Even pick up games in the ACT strong chemistry with guys that I didn't know at all. But I've NEVER been on a team football or basketball where people didn't try their best because of a guy on a team. Been part of plenty of teams where some highly talented players are butt holes. Long as those guys performed on court or fired there wasn't ever a problem. I remind you of Kobe and Jordan both punching teammates before. Cam and Norman got in a fight this summer and both are leaders on the Panthers offense and defense....

Peyton was a butt hole in college, everybody knows Brady isn't treated like everyone else....why this board is so gullible as far as fighting and attitudes of football players idk

It's very rare one player brings down an entire team, attitude wise, in any sport. Even in basketball, teams composing of 5 people, find ways to survive once one person gets hurt or is traded. This team didn't have an inability to block, or an inability to flow, or an inability to read coverage, or an inability to stay healthy in the backfield because one guy had an accident back in preseason. To even consider that would be ludicrous.

And before someone says "oh he was a leader", well according to coach speak, he wasn't the ONLY leader. Jeremy was extremely vocal too, and QBs are from the jump, your offensive leader almost anywhere. Other leaders said they adjusted w/o Duke the first time, so I have no reason to believe that affected them weeks later.

Sounds to me, from all this, that Duke may have some kind of bipolar disorder. That might make people tentative around him, not because of his attitude, but more because of not being sure when that explosive temper would show up. It seems like they tried to support him as a team, but it was more than the guys could keep in control. I'm sure that is a major mental disruption. If JJ was his roommate, imagine being on pins and needles all the time. Duke probably needs to be medicated and definitely needs to stop drinking. Wish him the best.

I was negligent to leave out "before this season". Easily a first round pick if he had maintained his production from last season.

Not easily at all. His production from last season wasn't impressive at all. You know how many receivers across the country put up gaudy numbers that make Duke's look like nothing?

He wasn't going to test incredibly well at the Combine either. Nor would he impress physically as he looks hilariously pudgy for a receiver.

He's got obvious ball skills (when he's trying), and some strength/toughness, but he lacks elite athleticism, lacks the ability to create separation, and he's an average at best route runner. Guys like that don't get drafted in the 1st round. Its not like he's 6'5 and therefore presents serious mismatch potential either; he's only about 6'2. Receivers that get drafted in the 1st round are either freakishly athletic (explosive/fast), or they create serious mismatch potential (ie: size, or speed).

Not to mention that every single number from last year was directly proportional to Sammie Coates' performance on the other end of the line. Duke was able to do what he did because defenses had to double Coates, and when Duke started getting some action they switched their attention to him. I don't think he was nearly as viable a threat without Coates to take the pressure off him. Couple that with a below average work ethic, and an affinity for off-the-field shenanigans....

And for those who mentioned never seen Auburn receivers make catches like him, or he's the best ever in Auburn history...go do your research. Check out Frank Sanders, Courtney Taylor, Terry Beasley, Karsten Bailey, Tyrone Goodson...

Ben Obomanu....

Obomanu dropped some passes too. I've always thought DW was overrated. He's a big, and very physical possession receiver with good hands (not great) above average speed average route runner and blocker. Doesn't equate to a 5*. Not a deep threat unless it is single coverage where he can go up and out physical the 5'-9" corner.

Sounds to me, from all this, that Duke may have some kind of bipolar disorder. That might make people tentative around him, not because of his attitude, but more because of not being sure when that explosive temper would show up. It seems like they tried to support him as a team, but it was more than the guys could keep in control. I'm sure that is a major mental disruption. If JJ was his roommate, imagine being on pins and needles all the time. Duke probably needs to be medicated and definitely needs to stop drinking. Wish him the best.

im sure Duke is not all bad.

Neither was the Trailer Park 4, right? Duke has a far greater chance of being in prison than the NFL.

wde

Neither was the Trailer Park 4, right? Duke has a far greater chance of being in prison than the NFL.

wde

Smh

wde

Smh

Why are you smh?

wde

wde

i would bet $ he is in prison or dead. In five years. You yourself said bipolar. Bipolar means two extremes.

I never said Duke was a bad guy. IF he has a medical disorder, he needs to get it under control. If not, some counseling or something. All I was saying is, that when people are unpredictable, it makes the others around them nervous. I would think that would have at least a minor effect on the team.

Archived