Camera work

johnnyAU

What's the deal with the camera shots during the gams lately? You can't see anything between plays anymore. The camera will zoom into a player or coach on the sidelines, or even the fans for like 8-10 seconds it seems for no reason while the announcer is talking and won't pan over to the field until a half second before the play starts.

It's beyond maddening.

Anyone know the reasons for this?

What's the deal with the camera shots during the gams lately? You can't see anything between plays anymore. The camera will zoom into a player or coach on the sidelines, or even the fans for like 8-10 seconds it seems for no reason while the announcer is talking and won't pan over to the field until a half second before the play starts.

It's beyond maddening.

Anyone know the reasons for this?

not sure I missed an entire first down because they were showing some kid from the other team sitting there.

It is annoying as hell for sure. Unless you work for espn or one of the networks there's no way to know the reason for it. Regardless moving this to the media section.

How about the conjectures about the football playoffs while you're in the middle of a one score ballgame in the 4th quarter. And is there some kind of media clause to mention Alabama in every football game somehow?

How about the conjectures about the football playoffs while you're in the middle of a one score ballgame in the 4th quarter. And is there some kind of media clause to mention Alabama in every football game somehow?

I'm right there with you. ESPN coverage this year is really off and I'm not a conspiracy theorist. The Ole Miss talk was just ridiculous considering the game was still in hand

The networks are all about showing people in the stands and on the sidelines, especially if they are celebrities or the parents of players. So they are constantly cutting away to show those people on the sidelines. I understand them showing the coaches after a significant play or penalty, but they will also zoom in on an offensive or defensive player sitting on the bench to see how they react. Who really cares about all that? We want to see the game!

The other thing they do is bring some ex player, ex coach, or celebrity into the broadcast booth and talk to them during the game for 5 or 10 minutes. Not during timeouts when they show money commercials, but while plays are being run. So we have to listen to announcers talk to somebody about the good ole days with the color guy usually, and the announcer can't talk over them to call the game.

People have various ways to sync the game's radio broadcast with the TV broadcast so you don't have to listen to the TV announcers (DVR delay, radios with sound delay). I wish there was a simple way to select the sound through the TV. The radio announcers are almost always better.

The blame isn't on the camera guy. It is the producer's fault. I have also noticed less replays this year than in year's past. It seems like they won't show nearly as many. But yeah, the producer is the one calling up the shots and telling the director which ones to take. I don't know why it is being done like that. It may be something ESPN asks their crews to do.

Archived