I know I haven't been around much of late, but...

Rednilla

I disagree. I'm a Gus fan, and I hope he turns things around. The team hasn't quit, and Saturday's loss to Ole Miss is a far cry from what we saw in 2012. Moreover, inexperience and misfortune have hurt this team. So I'll be happy if he's back for 2016.

But I am very, very concerned. We haven't beaten anybody good in over a year now. That's the simple fact. Some of the losses have been really embarrassing. Gus' start was amazing, but his overall record isn't particularly relevant: the trend we're on right now is just as bad as the start was good.

Your opinion. Aside from losing to Auburn, the teams Louisville has lost to this season have a total of 1 defeat amongst the three of them, and that includes both Clemson and FSU...

Louisville's signature win is a 7 pointer over NCState. They aren't good.

They gave Clemson plenty of fight. They're the only team that's held them to 20.

Yeah. Great loss. They aren't good.

ALL IS LOST!!! ALL IS LOST!!! WE SUCK!!! OUR COACH SUCKS!!! OUR PLAYERS SUCK!!! OUR FANS SUCK!!! OUR STADIUM SUCKS!!! OUR...wait, I need to stop. I'm approaching "Realist" levels of debbie downer syndrome.

But I'm glad you enjoy getting your jollies educating us fools of precisely how abhorrent our pedestrian propensities for comprehending pedantic performance might be, but seriously, just stop with the sarcasm.

Or, well, don't. Keep on pressing the issue. Because negative realisim is just so much more righteous than positive realism (and please don't pretend you've never heard the expression "there are two sides to every story" before), so you NEED to educate us. As a matter of fact, we'd be lost without you!!!

After all, what band of superheroes is complete without a foil? ;)

spot on, except we really don't need him (or want him for that matter). Anybody that puts realist in their screen name is just trying to justify their pessimistic outlook on everything. They go to extremes to convince others they are actually objective. What perfect way to advertise the pessimistic attitude than to use Realist in your screen name here. Realist title justifies negativity.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I disagree. I'm a Gus fan, and I hope he turns things around. The team hasn't quit, and Saturday's loss to Ole Miss is a far cry from what we saw in 2012. Moreover, inexperience and misfortune have hurt this team. So I'll be happy if he's back for 2016.

But I am very, very concerned. We haven't beaten anybody good in over a year now. That's the simple fact. Some of the losses have been really embarrassing. Gus' start was amazing, but his overall record isn't particularly relevant: the trend we're on right now is just as bad as the start was good.

Your opinion. Aside from losing to Auburn, the teams Louisville has lost to this season have a total of 1 defeat amongst the three of them, and that includes both Clemson and FSU...

They gave Clemson plenty of fight. They're the only team that's held them to 20.

ALL IS LOST!!! ALL IS LOST!!! WE SUCK!!! OUR COACH SUCKS!!! OUR PLAYERS SUCK!!! OUR FANS SUCK!!! OUR STADIUM SUCKS!!! OUR...wait, I need to stop. I'm approaching "Realist" levels of debbie downer syndrome.

But I'm glad you enjoy getting your jollies educating us fools of precisely how abhorrent our pedestrian propensities for comprehending pedantic performance might be, but seriously, just stop with the sarcasm.

Or, well, don't. Keep on pressing the issue. Because negative realisim is just so much more righteous than positive realism (and please don't pretend you've never heard the expression "there are two sides to every story" before), so you NEED to educate us. As a matter of fact, we'd be lost without you!!!

I haven't once called for Gus' head. In fact, I think he should get two more years minimum to make this team all it can be. Fans? Stadium? All is lost? Hyperbolize much? What are you talking about?

Who's complaining about seeing both sides to an issue? You are. You seem to think Louisville is good because they lost to FSU. GT beat Florida State - the one loss you mentioned above. Is GT good? If a team were to play the 12 best teams in the country and lose to each by 1 point, should they be ranked 13th?

Just what issue is it you think I'm pressing other than I don't agree with your logic in that statement?

Perhaps in the future you could mention in the OP that you'd rather not have people who disagree with you post in your threads... :headscratch:

I DID mention in the OP that we need both sides of it, didn't I?

I don't believe I accused you of calling for Gus's head. And yes, I was using hyperbole to show where your line of thought goes in order to cut off that direction of thought, which would undoubtedly have sprung up for real from someone else building upon what you said.

I was trying to give that indication with my final line; the entire reason I believe The Dark Knight was so spectacular is how amazing a villain Heath Ledger played, giving Batman the chance to rise above such a fantastic foil. I didn't actually mean any harm with my post...my apologies for not coming across that way.

spot on, except we really don't need him (or want him for that matter). Anybody that puts realist in their screen name is just trying to justify their pessimistic outlook on everything. They go to extremes to convince others they are actually objective. What perfect way to advertise the pessimistic attitude than to use Realist in your screen name here. Realist title justifies negativity.

I really expected better from a mod on an internet fan website. SMH

I haven't once called for Gus' head. In fact, I think he should get two more years minimum to make this team all it can be. Fans? Stadium? All is lost? Hyperbolize much? What are you talking about?

Who's complaining about seeing both sides to an issue? You are. You seem to think Louisville is good because they lost to FSU. GT beat Florida State - the one loss you mentioned above. Is GT good? If a team were to play the 12 best teams in the country and lose to each by 1 point, should they be ranked 13th?

Just what issue is it you think I'm pressing other than I don't agree with your logic in that statement?

Perhaps in the future you could mention in the OP that you'd rather not have people who disagree with you post in your threads... :headscratch:

I DID mention in the OP that we need both sides of it, didn't I?

I don't believe I accused you of calling for Gus's head. And yes, I was using hyperbole to show where your line of thought goes in order to cut off that direction of thought, which would undoubtedly have sprung up for real from someone else building upon what you said.

I was trying to give that indication with my final line; the entire reason I believe The Dark Knight was so spectacular is how amazing a villain Heath Ledger played, giving Batman the chance to rise above such a fantastic foil. I didn't actually mean any harm with my post...my apologies for not coming across that way.

You're right about the Gus' head thing. I originally had written a couple of hyperbolic sentences of my own before that one. My bad. However, I still think your response was overkill for reiterating my opinion that Louisville isn't good. I was simply responding to a response to my response of your response to DCA's post.

You did mention that you were open to other opinions which is why I was surprised at your response. If you want to make that point, great. Why go off against something I didn't even come close to saying? Make those points some other way.

I guess we can just agree to disagree on whether or not Loiusville is a good team at (4-4).

I'm fine with that.

I've never considered the "righteousness" of either negative or positive realism. Truly, you have a dizzying intellect.

Let's bury this hatchet.

What do you reckon the spread would be if we played Clemson?

What do you reckon the spread would be if we played Clemson?

No idea. What would it be against NC State?

Good stuff Red! ;D

It's funny how people tend to gravitate toward extremes - we are terrible and the only teams who are worse are those we've beaten :-\ .

What a defeatist attitude. You nailed it with "negative realism". I don't understand why some seem to enjoy wallowing in it - latent masochism? - but it's hardly productive.

We all need to contain our emotionalism and enjoy the show. As long as this team keeps fighting and continues to improve, I'm with them. I choose to believe our future is bright. If I'm wrong, I'll deal with it then.

You're right about the Gus' head thing. I originally had written a couple of hyperbolic sentences of my own before that one. My bad. However, I still think your response was overkill for reiterating my opinion that Louisville isn't good. I was simply responding to a response to my response of your response to DCA's post.

You did mention that you were open to other opinions which is why I was surprised at your response. If you want to make that point, great. Why go off against something I didn't even come close to saying? Make those points some other way.

I guess we can just agree to disagree on whether or not Loiusville is a good team at (4-4).

I'm fine with that.

I've never considered the "righteousness" of either negative or positive realism. Truly, you have a dizzying intellect.

Let's bury this hatchet.

Dizzying...yes, that is an apt way to describe my thought process. And I do sincerely apologize for anyone who actually tried to figure out the cockamemie progression my mind sometimes takes when going down the rabbit hole.

To try to put it in simpler terms, I was going overboard with the hyperbole specifically to create effect; not to belittle you (quite the opposite, in fact), but to provide an example for the board of how easy it is to jump from even a slightly pessimistic, if still realistic, point of view, straight to one of utter panic. More likely, however, is that it further chips away at the morale of the fan base, not just for those who read it, but for those who hear echoes of it from the ones who read it and started thinking more negatively about it.

There is a time to be the voice of reason and keep people grounded. That is something I, personally, sorely needed back in 2003 when we opened with loses to USC and Ga. Tech after having such high expectations.

Conversely, there is also a time to be the voice of reason and keep people from digging the grave for us. Those are the times when real men and women of Auburn stand up and smirk at all comers who think because their football team temporarily has some sort of upper hand on ours, that ACTUALLY makes them superior to us somehow.

Now, that isn't to we're always the best (even if we are...lol); it's to say that anyone who uses the performance of an athletics program as the primary measure of a university isn't even in the same category as Auburn. We have a LONG history of success, not just in football or baseball or engineering or agriculture, but in all things we do.

I'm guessing you probably already understand this; unfortunately, not everyone does, and negativity can have detrimental effects on all of us if it hits us wrong.

That's all I'm getting at...even if I did just write a whirlwind of whittled wordplay that makes no sense to anybody. :laugh:

I'm fine with that.

Let's bury this hatchet.

Dizzying...yes, that is an apt way to describe my thought process. And I do sincerely apologize for anyone who actually tried to figure out the cockamemie progression my mind sometimes takes when going down the rabbit hole.

To try to put it in simpler terms, I was going overboard with the hyperbole specifically to create effect; not to belittle you (quite the opposite, in fact), but to provide an example for the board of how easy it is to jump from even a slightly pessimistic, if still realistic, point of view, straight to one of utter panic. More likely, however, is that it further chips away at the morale of the fan base, not just for those who read it, but for those who hear echoes of it from the ones who read it and started thinking more negatively about it.

There is a time to be the voice of reason and keep people grounded. That is something I, personally, sorely needed back in 2003 when we opened with loses to USC and Ga. Tech after having such high expectations.

Conversely, there is also a time to be the voice of reason and keep people from digging the grave for us. Those are the times when real men and women of Auburn stand up and smirk at all comers who think because their football team temporarily has some sort of upper hand on ours, that ACTUALLY makes them superior to us somehow.

Now, that isn't to we're always the best (even if we are...lol); it's to say that anyone who uses the performance of an athletics program as the primary measure of a university isn't even in the same category as Auburn. We have a LONG history of success, not just in football or baseball or engineering or agriculture, but in all things we do.

I'm guessing you probably already understand this; unfortunately, not everyone does, and negativity can have detrimental effects on all of us if it hits us wrong.

That's all I'm getting at...even if I did just write a whirlwind of whittled wordplay that makes no sense to anybody. :laugh:

Agreed..................................j/k red

I'm fine with that.

Let's bury this hatchet.

I believe we are ALL Auburn men and women to the core and not one ounce of negativity will sway our love for Auburn.

But this is a FOOTBALL message board Red, and we discuss, judge and critique the teams performance on here. All of these threads and posts, postive or negative are related to football not measure of the univeristy as it realates to engineering/agriculture.

We love Auburn because it's Auburn and it's a part of us. We will love Auburn even if they never field another athletic team ~ so no amount of negativity about the football team will have a detrimental effect on us.

I'm fine with that.

Let's bury this hatchet.

I believe we are ALL Auburn men and women to the core and not one ounce of negativity will sway our love for Auburn.

But this is a FOOTBALL message board Red, and we discuss, judge and critique the teams performance on here. All of these threads and posts, postive or negative are related to football not measure of the univeristy as it realates to engineering/agriculture.

We love Auburn because it's Auburn and it's a part of us. We will love Auburn even if they never field another athletic team ~ so no amount of negativity about the football team will have a detrimental effect on us.

Maybe, maybe not. But there is also the matter of this being an open board, one which any borderline fan might get on and see what is being said. Now, if we have intelligent, yet thoughtful and respectful banter back and forth, attempting to maintain balance regardless of the amount of positivity our honest opinion holds, then that borderline fan will have more intelligent retorts to any rival fans attempting to belittle his/her choice in team, which aides in their feelings about being part of Auburn as well as their ability to withstand whatever weather might wash over (even if it's a beatdown of epic proportions in the wrong direction).

Or, perhaps read my signature quote. If you've read it already, read it again, but apply it to yourself. Understand that the way we carry ourselves, as Auburn men and women, reflects upon the perception of Auburn, and attempt to moderate yourself.

And, just for the record, this message is not meant for anyone in particular, it's one of the things I have come to understand on a different level of late. So, essentially, it's me talking to myself, hoping that someone else can make a little bit of sense out of it that might help them some, too. :laugh:

I'm fine with that.

Let's bury this hatchet.

Agreed..................................j/k red

Gettin' giddy, golfin' great-giggly-grandpa? :tease:

(Yeah, I love you too old man..lol)

• 1 month later...

AGREED! The sky is not falling! Time to stay the course!

1. We lost 4 games by 8 points or less with a crippled O!

2. Our preseason Heisman QB crumbled under pressure.

3. Our best WR had to be dismissed b/c he couldn't stay out of trouble. Rest of WR's were very inconsistent, too many drops.

4. Let's get back to dual-threat QB and get going Auburn FAST! With the RB's we have coming back & a running QB we can lead the SEC in rushing next year.

5. Hire DC who will keep same scheme so the players don't have to start over from scratch!

AGREED! The sky is not falling! Time to stay the course!

1. We lost 4 games by 8 points or less with a crippled O!

2. Our preseason Heisman QB crumbled under pressure.

3. Our best WR had to be dismissed b/c he couldn't stay out of trouble. Rest of WR's were very inconsistent, too many drops.

4. Let's get back to dual-threat QB and get going Auburn FAST! With the RB's we have coming back & a running QB we can lead the SEC in rushing next year.

5. Hire DC who will keep same scheme so the players don't have to start over from scratch!

4. We have a freshman and a juco coming in but i would try to pull one more juco or transfer immediately eligible. It all is riding on a qb. We have not recruited qbs very well. I have said before that Gus gave JJ too much praise the past two years and other top qbs shyed away from the competition. That is Gus fault. I don't think most fans understand that. I am all in with Gus. Next year could also be rough if we have injuries. Our WRs will be young but can't be any worse than this year. I hope Coleman and Avery stay.

Gus can get more time by winning 8 games per year....winning 6 games gets you on the hot seat. Winning 6 games or less repeatedly gets you fired. I think Gus knows this and I think he was aware of this when he got hired. I agree that calling for Gus' head after this one bad season is a bit much. However saying a coach is on the hot seat after going .500 is not crazy and does not make us a hard to please fan base.

Next year will be Gus' 4th year at AU as HC. if we win less than 8 games then he should be fired IMO. I hate hearing excuses about well its a hard division and injuries and its not his fault JJ blew up....blah blah blah. There is ALWAYS a reason when things go poorly and those reasons are usually out of the HC's control. That doesn't change the fact that he has to answer for the state of the program. And i'll be just as disappointed as most AU fans if he can't turn it around next year.

In 2013,we won a bunch of close games and ended up with an SEC tile and were a few scant seconds from the national title. We beat both our major rivals on last second amazing plays. Gus was a genius. This year we lost a bunch of close games and just couldn't get a break. Gus was a dummy. The point is there just isn't a whole lot of difference between winning and losing in our league. Sometimes the ball bounces your way and sometimes it doesn't. Get over it. Move on. Gus is fine. Same guy he was in 2013.

Agree....and every now and then I browse the AUC board....talk about nutcases and negativism.....that' place is a zoo compared to this forum.

In general the mods do a good job keeping things civil....and I'm OK with the "standards" they use.....though I acknowledge that I don't know what they are and sometimes trip over the line. .

Gus can get more time by winning 8 games per year....winning 6 games gets you on the hot seat. Winning 6 games or less repeatedly gets you fired. I think Gus knows this and I think he was aware of this when he got hired. I agree that calling for Gus' head after this one bad season is a bit much. However saying a coach is on the hot seat after going .500 is not crazy and does not make us a hard to please fan base.

Next year will be Gus' 4th year at AU as HC. if we win less than 8 games then he should be fired IMO. I hate hearing excuses about well its a hard division and injuries and its not his fault JJ blew up....blah blah blah. There is ALWAYS a reason when things go poorly and those reasons are usually out of the HC's control. That doesn't change the fact that he has to answer for the state of the program. And i'll be just as disappointed as most AU fans if he can't turn it around next year.

The problem is that there are more than a few who have completely given up and declared Gus a failure with no hope of recovery. The comparison to 2012 is not a correct analysis. We have issues but they are fixable. I think that Gus can and will fix them.

The problem is that there are more than a few who have completely given up and declared Gus a failure with no hope of recovery. The comparison to 2012 is not a correct analysis. We have issues but they are fixable. I think that Gus can and will fix them.

Exactly. In 2012 we had a staff that at odds with one another and a team who didn't want to play for the bunch. We had a little bit of that on the defensive side of the ball last year and Gus fixed that problem. This year we were injured at QB and pretty young at a lot of positions. Again all very fixable. Heck, if we fix our red zone production this year we're 11-1... Definitely not in the same ballpark as 2012

Archived