I know I haven't been around much of late, but...

Rednilla

What I don't understand is that many of the same people supporting Gus Malzahn were the same people calling for Chizik's head. Here's what I don't understand:

- in his first three years, Chizik's record was 30-10

- in Gus's first three years, his record will likely be 25-14

-Chizik inherited a team that was unbalanced with an oversized junior class and had a hard time recovering from the loss of so many upperclassmen in 2010

- Gus inherited a team of player that were recruited to play in his scheme

-Chizik's bad years were plagued by lack of experience and discipline issues

-Gus's bad years have been plagued by underperformance on the field and lack of team chemistry

Chizik's last three seasons: played for a national championship, went 8-5, had a team fall apart with a losing record and got fired

Gus's: played for a national championship, went 8-5, on the verge of having a team fall apart and having a losing season

Take a step back and look at this situation objectively. How are the situations different? Everything in this business is about program direction. Chizik was released because there was the perception that things were going backward from year to year. We have to ask ourselves whether our team is truly improving at a reasonable rate if at all. So far this season, I'm not convinced that we are taking steps forward. We are last in the SEC west and have not won an SEC game in about a year. If we can't pull off at least one conference win and have not made substantial strides forward by the end of the season, Gus's seat is going to be pretty warm. If we get blown out by uga and or bama, it is going to be hot. That said, they usually say that a coach should have four years. Barring a total collapse of a finish, he'll get another year. However, I think he will really start to lose this fan base and team if they don't look substantially better in the coming weeks.

As a side note, I don't get the 2003 comparisons. We finished with a winning record and were in the middle of the sec west. This year, we will probably either finish 5-7 or 6-6, and are likely to finish with an sec west record that is equivalent to vandy's.

For a scientist, you sure do have a habit of throwing out several variables when making your comparisons.

Differences between Chizik and Malzhan:

1. Chizik lost the team They gave up. They stopped trying. Through all of the adversity, no Malzhan team has given up. The team is NO WHERE NEAR falling apart.

2. Chizik's team fell apart on the field mostly because of his decision to change direction on offense, with the wrong players to run that offense, and making a very poor choice of OC. Malzhan's team is struggling because of injury... Only one game was lost because of a struggling player, and arguably, we would have lost that one anyway.

3. As came out later, Chizik was micromanaging his coordinators and preventing them from doing the job. Malzhan hired the best available DC and has given him the freedom to fix the dumpster fire that Chizik created on that side of the ball.

4. Chizik's teams were getting embarrassed in their losses. Every Malzhan loss has come down to the end of the game and could have been won.

5. Malzhan's team is progressively improving. Chizik's 2012 team never improved.

The long and short of it is that Chizik, while he had the best intentions for his players, was a micromanager whose own policies cause discord in the staff and the locker room, and drug the program down. He wasn't released because there was a perception that the program was going backwards, he was released because he created a horrible environment in the football offices and it showed out on the field.

Malzhan, on the other hand, is suffering from growing pains as a new head coach, and his biggest failures have been his choice of DC and where he focused his recruiting. The first is fixed and the second is changing. I think you will see the rewards of that change sooner rather than later.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't disagree with your points. I'm not completely giving up yet. I'm just saying that I don't get the sunshine pumpers who are saying that nothing is wrong, nor do I buy the "we were overhyped" explanation. Auburn never gets respect, and, on the one year that we do, we struggle. I'd understand a couple of close losses to good teams, but the "we were overhyped" explanation does not explain how we looked bad against two bad out of conference opponents or how we haven't won an sec game (aside from against a pretty average Kentucky team) in a year. Something was clearly off early in this season.

I guess my point is that it is too early to get excited. We have 4 games left. Those four games are essential. If those go well (even if we don't win), Gus has something to build on. With a losing record, Gus's seat will start to warm up (I.e. We better look much much better next year or he's gone). If we get blown out in any of them, the outward perception will change from "we are improving steadily" to "we are falling apart." If that happens in 2 or 3 of the four, Jacobs will be under extraordinary pressure to get rid of him

Something was indeed off early this season. The QB came out of the gate as an interception machine, and the star WR ended up being mostly a non-factor. Those could be overcome sufficiently to beat Louisville and Jacksonville State, but you can't spot LSU a 24 point 1st half in Baton Rouge when they can effectively run at will.

Mississippi State was beatable as the defense held them to 17. However, we do not yet have a defense that will allow us to beat anyone consistently with FG's instead of TD's. Kentucky saw the offense begin to look more like it's supposed to. The Arkansas game probably would not have been a loss or even gone into overtime if the receiving corp did not spend almost the entire 1st half dropping catchable passes. Ole Miss is just legitimately better than us this year, but we were in that game to the end.

I have plenty of criticism for the way some things have been handled by Gus this year, but I do not compare his tenure to Chizik, or this season to 2012. This team is actually improving, which is the complete opposite of 2012. I don't think Gus expected JJ to collapse, or Duke to be a non-factor that eventually got kicked off the team. Those two were one of the main reasons for our hype heading into this season. No one saw either of those coming, and I'm not sure it's even possible to have seen them coming. How this season ends, and 2016 begins will indeed tell us (and Jacobs) all we need to know about Gus Malzahn. There are good lessons in this season for Gus, and I hope he learns them.

This is ground zero of the AU fan base - and the fan base is irritated, disgruntled, and quite frankly confused with this program the last 12 months. We can nit-pick the excuses and causes for the lack of success to death. But the reality is that the dang Mississippi teams have jumped ahead of us and it's sickening.

Due to the most recent contract extension Gus obtained, coupled with an increased buyout of +$14mm, Gus is safe for a while. The man is training on the job and it will take at least 3 additional years of experience, and exposure to the SEC to get his feet under him.

I keep seeing you post this and I keep agreeing. Are people forgetting we got a guy who's only previous head coaching experience outside of coaching 16 and 17 year olds while coaching against part time gym teachers was 1 year at a mid-major? He mastered being a college OC but being a HC at this level is much different. He needs time and will improve. And in the baby stages of his HC career he won the SEC and was thiiiiis close to winning a national championship! He most certainly can do it again as he improves as a HC IMO.

This is ground zero of the AU fan base - and the fan base is irritated, disgruntled, and quite frankly confused with this program the last 12 months. We can nit-pick the excuses and causes for the lack of success to death. But the reality is that the dang Mississippi teams have jumped ahead of us and it's sickening.

Due to the most recent contract extension Gus obtained, coupled with an increased buyout of +$14mm, Gus is safe for a while. The man is training on the job and it will take at least 3 additional years of experience, and exposure to the SEC to get his feet under him.

I have decided in the last couple days after getting upset over and over this season about the losses to try and look at the bright side of things and look for signs that we either will improve next year or decline further. Putting my best objective face on, I think we will see vast improvement next year for a multitude of reasons. If Lawson comes back and I think he will, with the other young defensive players Auburn is developing that side of the ball will improve by leaps and bounds. Muschamp IS a good defensive coach. Every year he is here I think we will get better. Every year that he gets players that he wants and develops the younger guys Auburn's defense will get better. We will be returning a PROVEN SEC QB in SW. He gets better every game and I honestly think he will be one of the best that has ever come thru AU when all is said and done. We will be returning a stable of RBs that are proven play makers and SEC caliber backs. No more of the "who will step up?" questions, that is a known commodity next year with depth. Lets be honest, the WRs have to improve because it would be hard to get worse. The only scenario where the WR corps gets worse is a mass exodus of the young guys and I don't see any scenario where that could happen. Auburn is in contention for several highly touted WR prospects and I think that's where SW is going to help us again with an increased amount of passing as the season goes on. If SW finishes this year out and by the end of the season is considered one of the best young QBs in the SEC, that goes a long way with elite HS WR prospects. I think the O-line will improve as we have been told this season that there is quality depth behind this years starters and they have all gotten meaningful minutes this season. The bottom line is if you believe that Gus is a smart guy and capable of fixing errors on his part, there isn't a lot you can point at and say that Auburn isn't going to get better next year. I know it sucks that this season has been bad, and I hate to write the rest of this season off as practice for next year, but for the sake of my sanity that's what I'm going to do!

I have decided in the last couple days after getting upset over and over this season about the losses to try and look at the bright side of things and look for signs that we either will improve next year or decline further. Putting my best objective face on, I think we will see vast improvement next year for a multitude of reasons. If Lawson comes back and I think he will, with the other young defensive players Auburn is developing that side of the ball will improve by leaps and bounds. Muschamp IS a good defensive coach. Every year he is here I think we will get better. Every year that he gets players that he wants and develops the younger guys Auburn's defense will get better. We will be returning a PROVEN SEC QB in SW. He gets better every game and I honestly think he will be one of the best that has ever come thru AU when all is said and done. We will be returning a stable of RBs that are proven play makers and SEC caliber backs. No more of the "who will step up?" questions, that is a known commodity next year with depth. Lets be honest, the WRs have to improve because it would be hard to get worse. The only scenario where the WR corps gets worse is a mass exodus of the young guys and I don't see any scenario where that could happen. Auburn is in contention for several highly touted WR prospects and I think that's where SW is going to help us again with an increased amount of passing as the season goes on. If SW finishes this year out and by the end of the season is considered one of the best young QBs in the SEC, that goes a long way with elite HS WR prospects. I think the O-line will improve as we have been told this season that there is quality depth behind this years starters and they have all gotten meaningful minutes this season. The bottom line is if you believe that Gus is a smart guy and capable of fixing errors on his part, there isn't a lot you can point at and say that Auburn isn't going to get better next year. I know it sucks that this season has been bad, and I hate to write the rest of this season off as practice for next year, but for the sake of my sanity that's what I'm going to do!

I agree with everything you said, except I'm not sure about the quality depth in the O-Line. What we do have is a 5-star transfer from Texas who will be eligible to play next year. Hopefully he and Braden can do enough damage to tide us over until we can recruit and coach up more 4 and 5 star linemen.

I agree with everything you said, except I'm not sure about the quality depth in the O-Line. What we do have is a 5-star transfer from Texas who will be eligible to play next year. Hopefully he and Braden can do enough damage to tide us over until we can recruit and coach up more 4 and 5 star linemen.

Defensively, how nice would be if Prince turns out to be a true "diamond in the rough" next year?

What I don't understand is that many of the same people supporting Gus Malzahn were the same people calling for Chizik's head. Here's what I don't understand:

-Chizik inherited a team that was unbalanced with an oversized junior class and had a hard time recovering from the loss of so many upperclassmen in 2010

-Gus's bad years have been plagued by underperformance on the field and lack of team chemistry

Chizik's last three seasons: played for a national championship, went 8-5, had a team fall apart with a losing record and got fired

Gus's: played for a national championship, went 8-5, on the verge of having a team fall apart and having a losing season

Take a step back and look at this situation objectively. How are the situations different? Everything in this business is about program direction. Chizik was released because there was the perception that things were going backward from year to year. We have to ask ourselves whether our team is truly improving at a reasonable rate if at all. So far this season, I'm not convinced that we are taking steps forward. We are last in the SEC west and have not won an SEC game in about a year. If we can't pull off at least one conference win and have not made substantial strides forward by the end of the season, Gus's seat is going to be pretty warm. If we get blown out by uga and or bama, it is going to be hot. That said, they usually say that a coach should have four years. Barring a total collapse of a finish, he'll get another year. However, I think he will really start to lose this fan base and team if they don't look substantially better in the coming weeks.

As a side note, I don't get the 2003 comparisons. We finished with a winning record and were in the middle of the sec west. This year, we will probably either finish 5-7 or 6-6, and are likely to finish with an sec west record that is equivalent to vandy's.

Chizik had a good overall record at Auburn largely because of Malzahn.

Isn't this the same thread as the open letter thing that was locked?

They're all kind of the same.

Lol. I mean I don't have a problem but the other guy's caught a little grief I thought....oh well none of my business I guess

The thread I started was deemed divisive (and it was) so the mods pulled the plug on it.

Some of the mods know when I have wrote something to be abrasive. The mods have a direction they like these forums to go and I respect them for it. Titan usually has a good read on me when I post things to purposely take jabs and/or fish for "bit dogs" (aka trolling).

Rednilla is giving the same message in a much better way. WAR EAGLE RED

Geeeeez, use the edit function.....

Isn't this the same thread as the open letter thing that was locked?

They're all kind of the same.

Lol. I mean I don't have a problem but the other guy's caught a little grief I thought....oh well none of my business I guess

The thread I started was deemed divisive (and it was) so the mods pulled the plug on it.

Some of the mods know when I have wrote something to be abrasive. The mods have a direction they like these forums to go and I respect them for it. Titan usually has a good read on me when I post things to purposely take jabs and/or fish for "bit dogs" (aka trolling).

Rednilla is giving the same message in a much better way. WAR EAGLE RED

Geeeeez, use the edit function.....

I know, I know.

I have been too stressed lately thinking about an avatar bet I made

Great post Red. Long overdue. WDE

If Jeremy had done what we all thought he would before the season started, I think things would be quite different. There was just no way to predict that he'd be unable to handle, at that point, being the man. Whether he'll ever be able to handle the bright lights, I don't have any way to know. Gus has some hard evaluation to do of the staff and of himself. We'll just have to see how it all shakes out in the end. I still have faith he'll get his mojo back.

You suck Red. ;D/>

LOL, don't make me break out the rolodex and start getting your exes to come in here and tell the truth on you, Weegs...:tease:/>

:laugh:

Chizik had a good overall record at Auburn largely because of Malzahn.

hell, gus had to talk chizik into offering Cam. I also remember him talking him through decisions on sidelines, like going on 4th vs bama, running the clock down before kicking on 3rd to win the BCSC. Gus was behind all of it. no disrespect to chizik, but gus made that happen.

If Jeremy had done what we all thought he would before the season started, I think things would be quite different. There was just no way to predict that he'd be unable to handle, at that point, being the man. Whether he'll ever be able to handle the bright lights, I don't have any way to know. Gus has some hard evaluation to do of the staff and of himself. We'll just have to see how it all shakes out in the end. I still have faith he'll get his mojo back.

Have to agree with this. If he played to the level we "thought" Johnson would then I believe we are having a completely different conversation. It has been frustrating but the team is improving and lets consider that the RSF QB we are playing is getting great experience and can only help in the long run.

Truth...

I don't know any team that could survive their top offensive weapon fizzling, their second biggest offensive weapon being a bust as a person, and their defensive leader and number 1 weapon going down with a long term injury. People say we were overrated pre-season, but I contend that we were a completely different team until halftime of the Louisville game, when everything unravelled.

What's sad is, if Jeremy had shown weakness in practice, and Gus had not let Craig talk him into keeping Duke, our offense would have probably been click on all cylinders under Sean, by now, and we would likely have 1-2 more Ws (State, definitely, and either Arkansas or Ole Miss). Add Carl not getting hurt and we are probably in the top 10 with 1 loss. Sometimes you just can't win... ask Richt.

I disagree. I'm a Gus fan, and I hope he turns things around. The team hasn't quit, and Saturday's loss to Ole Miss is a far cry from what we saw in 2012. Moreover, inexperience and misfortune have hurt this team. So I'll be happy if he's back for 2016.

But I am very, very concerned. We haven't beaten anybody good in over a year now. That's the simple fact. Some of the losses have been really embarrassing. Gus' start was amazing, but his overall record isn't particularly relevant: the trend we're on right now is just as bad as the start was good.

I disagree. I'm a Gus fan, and I hope he turns things around. The team hasn't quit, and Saturday's loss to Ole Miss is a far cry from what we saw in 2012. Moreover, inexperience and misfortune have hurt this team. So I'll be happy if he's back for 2016.

But I am very, very concerned. We haven't beaten anybody good in over a year now. That's the simple fact. Some of the losses have been really embarrassing. Gus' start was amazing, but his overall record isn't particularly relevant: the trend we're on right now is just as bad as the start was good.

The team is still battling. Eventually they'll start to see results. I just hope it's sooner rather than later.

Your opinion. Aside from losing to Auburn, the teams Louisville has lost to this season have a total of 1 defeat amongst the three of them, and that includes both Clemson and FSU...

Your opinion. Aside from losing to Auburn, the teams Louisville has lost to this season have a total of 1 defeat amongst the three of them, and that includes both Clemson and FSU...

And Houston is the only team this year that has shutout Vandy.

Louisville's signature win is a 7 pointer over NCState. They aren't good.

They gave Clemson plenty of fight. They're the only team that's held them to 20.

They gave Clemson plenty of fight. They're the only team that's held them to 20.

Yeah. Great loss. They aren't good.

ALL IS LOST!!! ALL IS LOST!!! WE SUCK!!! OUR COACH SUCKS!!! OUR PLAYERS SUCK!!! OUR FANS SUCK!!! OUR STADIUM SUCKS!!! OUR...wait, I need to stop. I'm approaching "Realist" levels of debbie downer syndrome.

But I'm glad you enjoy getting your jollies educating us fools of precisely how abhorrent our pedestrian propensities for comprehending pedantic performance might be, but seriously, just stop with the sarcasm.

Or, well, don't. Keep on pressing the issue. Because negative realisim is just so much more righteous than positive realism (and please don't pretend you've never heard the expression "there are two sides to every story" before), so you NEED to educate us. As a matter of fact, we'd be lost without you!!!

After all, what band of superheroes is complete without a foil? ;)

ALL IS LOST!!! ALL IS LOST!!! WE SUCK!!! OUR COACH SUCKS!!! OUR PLAYERS SUCK!!! OUR FANS SUCK!!! OUR STADIUM SUCKS!!! OUR...wait, I need to stop. I'm approaching "Realist" levels of debbie downer syndrome.

But I'm glad you enjoy getting your jollies educating us fools of precisely how abhorrent our pedestrian propensities for comprehending pedantic performance might be, but seriously, just stop with the sarcasm.

Or, well, don't. Keep on pressing the issue. Because negative realisim is just so much more righteous than positive realism (and please don't pretend you've never heard the expression "there are two sides to every story" before), so you NEED to educate us. As a matter of fact, we'd be lost without you!!!

After all, what band of superheroes is complete without a foil? ;)

I haven't once called for Gus' head. In fact, I think he should get two more years minimum to make this team all it can be. Fans? Stadium? All is lost? Hyperbolize much? What are you talking about?

Who's complaining about seeing both sides to an issue? You are. You seem to think Louisville is good because they lost to FSU. GT beat Florida State - the one loss you mentioned above. Is GT good? If a team were to play the 12 best teams in the country and lose to each by 1 point, should they be ranked 13th?

Just what issue is it you think I'm pressing other than I don't agree with your logic in that statement?

Perhaps in the future you could mention in the OP that you'd rather not have people who disagree with you post in your threads... :headscratch:

Archived