Cato Institute: Syrian Refugees Don't Pose a Serious Security Threat

TitanTiger

These people should be going to other countries in the ME. Nome of the 5 wealthiest countries there have taken in any of them. That's where we should be applying pressure on. They share the same language and culture.

They are going to those countries. Turkey has 2.2 million refugees and has assimilated hundreds of thousands permanently. Lebanon has over 1.1 million refugees and are assimilating tens of thousands. Same for Jordan (630,000 refugees), Egypt and Iraq (tens of thousands). Saudi Arabia and UAE have both taken in hundreds of thousands, but don't classify them as refugees under the UN definitions.

This meme that somehow the ME countries aren't doing their part is bogus.

These people amaze me. When it comes to waging war, we should be everywhere but when it comes to humanitarian issues, we should let other countries handle it...

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These people should be going to other countries in the ME. Nome of the 5 wealthiest countries there have taken in any of them. That's where we should be applying pressure on. They share the same language and culture.

They are going to those countries. Turkey has 2.2 million refugees and has assimilated hundreds of thousands permanently. Lebanon has over 1.1 million refugees and are assimilating tens of thousands. Same for Jordan (630,000 refugees), Egypt and Iraq (tens of thousands). Saudi Arabia and UAE have both taken in hundreds of thousands, but don't classify them as refugees under the UN definitions.

Of all those countries you mention, I would NOT consider it a plus in the long run for them taking in so many refugees. If I were leader of one I would have to consider first my onw country and my own people. That's humanitarian priority IMHO. Clearly there are different opinions and I understand yours. And here is the case in Germany with officials clearly concerned.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2015/11/30/german-officials-warn-homegrown-islamists-trying-to-radicalize-refugees/?intcmp=hpbt2

These people amaze me. When it comes to waging war, we should be everywhere but when it comes to humanitarian issues, we should let other countries handle it...

USN, we should act in our interests. If it is in our interest to use the military, we should do it...if it is in our interest not to use our military, we should not. You of all people should know you are nothing more than an instrument of US foreign policy. For some reason liberal America has a problem with putting our interests above the rest of the worlds interests. And are the other nations "doing their part"...of course not. Had they done their part originally there would be no humanitarian crisis to react to. The ME countries act the same way the EURO countries react...they don't do anything until someone leads them to do something.

USN, we should act in our interests. If it is in our interest to use the military, we should do it...if it is in our interest not to use our military, we should not. You of all people should know you are nothing more than an instrument of US foreign policy. For some reason liberal America has a problem with putting our interests above the rest of the worlds interests. And are the other nations "doing their part"...of course not. Had they done their part originally there would be no humanitarian crisis to react to. The ME countries act the same way the EURO countries react...they don't do anything until someone leads them to do something.

I agree. Taking in a measly 10,000 refugees from a country we had a hand in wrecking is in our interests.

They should stay & build their own country. Not be parasites, or worse, in ours.

That's the American spirit!

Let's ship that worthless Statue of Liberty back to France! We are closed!

Heard on the news that France has turned back 1000 refugees because they didn't pass preliminary vetting. But i guess our bleeding heart liberals are more concerned with our humanitarian record than our security. Wish we could deport 10,000 of them.

They should stay & build their own country. Not be parasites, or worse, in ours.

Those wishing to impose sharia law aren't caring too much about FREEDOM.

Don't get stuck on stupid.

Those wishing to impose sharia law aren't caring too much about FREEDOM.

Don't get stuck on stupid.

Don't get stuck on that idiotic sharia law canard...

There is no 'canard'. You're in true denial.

If we're so vicious, ugly and full of hatred, why don't they go somewhere else ?

Oh, because we're not. Despite the false claim of your childish propaganda cartoon.

If we're so vicious, ugly and full of hatred, why don't they go somewhere else ?

Oh, because we're not. Despite the false claim of your childish propaganda cartoon.

They want to come here. Have you been paying attention?

WRONG. Who has talked to the refugees......certainly not you so you don't have a clue have clue. Ben Carson is the only one I know of who has talked to them. He met with a bunch of them on a trip over there Thanksgiving. He reports that they don't want to come to the U.S. for lots of reasons. They just want to go back to their homes. You should pay attention and post some facts rather than cartoons.

Before we take in 10,000 refugees let's take care of out 60,000 homeless vets.

WRONG. Who has talked to the refugees......certainly not you so you don't have a clue have clue. Ben Carson is the only one I know of who has talked to them. He met with a bunch of them on a trip over there Thanksgiving. He reports that they don't want to come to the U.S. for lots of reasons. They just want to go back to their homes. You should pay attention and post some facts rather than cartoons.

Before we take in 10,000 refugees let's take care of out 60,000 homeless vets.

My arent we salty. I guess the good Dr. Carson, who by the way called refugees rabid dogs didnt talk to Nidal...

Nidal Alhayak

Alhayak, who's only been in the U.S. for a few months, is learning English. He spoke to NPR through a translator.

"First of all, I consider myself fortunate that I made it to the United States," he says. "I consider it the number one country for democracy and freedom for humanity, worldwide."

He fled Syria with his wife in 2012, and crossed over the border to Jordan. When he applied for asylum in the U.S., he was told he'd have a good chance because he had been tortured and imprisoned by the Assad regime.

http://www.npr.org/2...ent-hesitations

Oh and there Mr. Salty, exactly what homes are there to return to? Oh that's right, Japantiger reports that Allepo is freaking nirvana, just waiting to welcome them with open arms.

So since Mr. Salty brought it up, let's see what Carson actually said...

" Idid not detect any great desire for them to come to the United States," Carson told The Associated Press in a phone interview from Jordan. "You've got these refugee camps that aren't completely full. And all you need is the resources to be able to run them. Why do you need to create something else?"

Nope, didnt say that they told him they didnt want to come, he said he didnt detect. Big difference. I mean who would want to leave the glorious oasis like Azraq Refugee Camp? Idiots...

800_r9hvc73y6sjcxdudgajprw6cxqwkusow.jpg

Well there Mr know it All, you didn't answer the question about who else has talked to the refugees or the basis of your claim. Rather you choose to try to discredit Dr. Carson. Do you agree we should be taking care of homeless vets before we take in and take care of refugees? Surely with your bag of cartoons you have some on homeless vets needing help.

Well there Mr know it All, you didn't answer the question about who else has talked to the refugees or the basis of your claim. Rather you choose to try to discredit Dr. Carson. Do you agree we should be taking care of homeless vets before we take in and take care of refugees?

Homeless Vets are not the issue of this thread. Go start one and I'll participate.

Carson is doing a fine job all by himself. I dont have to discredit him.

Well there Mr know it All, you didn't answer the question about who else has talked to the refugees or the basis of your claim. Rather you choose to try to discredit Dr. Carson. Do you agree we should be taking care of homeless vets before we take in and take care of refugees?

Homeless Vets are not the issue of this thread. Go start one and I'll participate.

Only because you don't want it to be. IMO it is very pertinent to the issue.

Oh and Mr. Salty, the State Department has spoken to 15,000 Syrians who said that would very much like to come to the US. I'd say that's a lot more than Ben Carson, huh?

"As of mid-2015, UNHCR had referred more than 15,000 Syrian refugees to the United States for resettlement, who are being screened to determine their eligibility. The usual vetting time for Syrian refugees is 18 to 24 months, according to the State Department."

Only because you don't want it to be. IMO it is very pertinent to the issue.

That's right, I dont want you to weasel away from the fact that you just got served.

Oh and Mr. Salty, the State Department has spoken to 15,000 Syrians who said that would very much like to come to the US. I'd say that's a lot more than Ben Carson, huh?

"As of mid-2015, UNHCR had referred more than 15,000 Syrian refugees to the United States for resettlement, who are being screened to determine their eligibility. The usual vetting time for Syrian refugees is 18 to 24 months, according to the State Department."

I will take Dr. Carson's word over our DOS and Kerry's political stuff any day. Surely you don't believe much of what the U.N. propogates. In any event if it takes 18-24 months to do the vetting it will all be irrevelant.

Archived