Cato Institute: Syrian Refugees Don't Pose a Serious Security Threat

TitanTiger

My objection is based on the fact that the federal government has been so inept and bungled so many things over the years. I don't have any faith that all of a sudden they'll get it right.

They have no intent on " getting it right ", what so ever. This is yet another issue for Obama and the Dems to demagogue. Divert attention away from the fact that Obama's JV team plan has failed, spectacularly, even as he double downs.

Par for the course.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Belgium is a prime example of what happens when large numbers of immigrants move to a country and don't assimilate to the society, without the education, knowledge of the society and native language , they do not do well and easily fall victim to the rhetoric of some of the radicals. Question for someone in the know has Saudi taken any refugees? Yet, I understand they are offering to donate millions to build mosques across Europe?

They have taken in several hundred thousand. UAE has also taken in about 100,000. Neither show up on the UN lists because they didn't sign the UN's refugee agreement that had various stipulations, but they have taken many in.

Belgium is a prime example of what happens when large numbers of immigrants move to a country and don't assimilate to the society, without the education, knowledge of the society and native language , they do not do well and easily fall victim to the rhetoric of some of the radicals. Question for someone in the know has Saudi taken any refugees? Yet, I understand they are offering to donate millions to build mosques across Europe?

They have taken in several hundred thousand. UAE has also taken in about 100,000. Neither show up on the UN lists because they didn't sign the UN's refugee agreement that had various stipulations, but they have taken many in.

Link?

I have to say, the Cato piece is actually one of the most comprehensive pieces on this issue I have seen in a few days. As you said Titan, they are hardly a liberal group. I will be directing others to this one as well. Thanks.

Agreed. Thanks for posting it, Titan.

Just to clarify, the Cato institute has some great in depth articles. They are considered a libertarian group and not so much conservative. I tend to agree with more from this organization than many other news sources.

By the way, if everyone wants to embrace the Caro Institute's as a great quality piece then please research their pieces on national debt and spending. Pretty sure many claiming this as a great source would call them tea party idiots.

I will accept all proposed refugees and triple the number if everyone will agree to the Cato Institutes tax and spending ideas.

The point was to show conservatives that it's not some lib plot to believe we should take in the refugees. If they won't listen to reason from people outside their tribe, perhaps someone in it can talk some sense into them.

I would urge you to get a map and look at Turkey. It's 10% bigger than TX with a smaller population than DE. I'd say they have plenty of space and room.

It's not just a matter of space. They are 61st in the world in GDP per capita at around $19,000. Contrast that with one of the more mediocre Western economies - Spain. Spain is 33rd at around $34,000 per capita. Germany is 20th at around $41,000 per capita. They can't absorb all these refugees from an economic standpoint.

And, fact check: Turkey's population is over 77 million. They have about a quarter the population of the US in an area about the size of Texas.

They are out of harms way; they are not guaranteed a 3 br 3 ba house in the USA. I don't understand the liberal fixation with bestowing US citizenship rights to every mut in the world.

Another failure on your part to do factual research. We aren't bestowing citizenship on them.

How is pointing out an obvious fact a strawman Jeffy?

Not "Jeffy" but it's a strawman because you're arguing a point that no one is making. I could just as easily argue that they do not deserve free tuition to Auburn University. Is that an obvious fact? Yeah. Does it have anything to do with the issue at hand? No - because no one is proposing to give them free admittance to Auburn.

I don't understand this fixation with taking in the worlds problems and why I am supposed to feel obligated in the least. Soothe your bourgeois guilt at your own expense, not me and my families.

Maybe you don't. That's your problem. But as someone else said, "We don't take refugees in because they are Christians. We take refugees in because WE are Christians."

Other than the vote Jeffy, they get full access to every welfare program in America, schools, you name it...it;s better than being a citizen...all the bennies, none of the responsibility. The Turks can absorb another 10k...the Syrian GDP per capita was $2k prior to the civil war...a country with a 19k per capita GDP is rich beyond the imagination of practically any Syrian. Just FYI also, China GDP per capita is under $7k...do you think they could afford to take some in? You really don't have much sense of proportion...have you been to any of the countries referenced here?

As for Christianity influencing policy; that's pretty irrelevant isn't it...talk about a strawman. We are a secular republic. Unless of course you are advocating we now use Christian standards to influence all our other policies...is that what you are saying? How about abortion? prayer in school? teaching it in the classroom? If you are a Christian, then how much of your own tithes or charity is going to the Syrian immigrants? Seriously, you're just throwing crap out now that makes no sense.

As has now been confirmed by the French, the head honcho of the Paris attacks came in with the refugees...that is the issue here. There are over 1m on the current watch list...do you seriously think DHS can watch that many? and you want to add to it in the name of what? Showing how tolerant you are? Showing your not islamaphobic? There are plenty of others that can take these folks in much closer to their home. We need to let the rest of the world; particularly the ME part of the world, step up and sort out it's own. Take the money you want to piss away on 10k Syrians and actually give our Vets the care they deserve... we have more pressing issues...without adding to security concerns.

Other than the vote Jeffy,

Before we go any further....who the hell is Jeffy?

they get full access to every welfare program in America, schools, you name it...it;s better than being a citizen...all the bennies, none of the responsibility. The Turks can absorb another 10k...the Syrian GDP per capita was $2k prior to the civil war...a country with a 19k per capita GDP is rich beyond the imagination of practically any Syrian. Just FYI also, China GDP per capita is under $7k...do you think they could afford to take some in? You really don't have much sense of proportion...have you been to any of the countries referenced here?

"You really don't have much sense of proportion", says the guy that claimed Turkey was bigger than Texas with a population the size of Delaware. <_<

Turkey had already absorbed several hundred thousand into their system while still maintaining refugee camps for those they can't keep permanently. And they weren't the ones who went and created this power vacuum that allowed Daesh to fill the void. We were. It's a bit disingenuous to tell a country that is already doing way more than its part to take the 10,000 we are scheduled to take too.

But yeah, I'm the one that lacks proportion. :rolleyes:

As for Christianity influencing policy; that's pretty irrelevant isn't it...talk about a strawman. We are a secular republic. Unless of course you are advocating we now use Christian standards to influence all our other policies...is that what you are saying? How about abortion? prayer in school? teaching it in the classroom? If you are a Christian, then how much of your own tithes or charity is going to the Syrian immigrants? Seriously, you're just throwing crap out now that makes no sense.

If you aren't a Christian, feel free to ignore it. I think there are practical and moral reasons for us to do this.

Also, you are the last person on the planet that gets to credibly accuse anyone of "throwing out crap." If crap were outlawed, you'd be a mute.

As has now been confirmed by the French, the head honcho of the Paris attacks came in with the refugees...that is the issue here. There are over 1m on the current watch list...do you seriously think DHS can watch that many?

They, along with at least 3 other branches of our intelligence apparatus are screening about 10,000, not 1 million.

and you want to add to it in the name of what? Showing how tolerant you are? Showing your not islamaphobic? There are plenty of others that can take these folks in much closer to their home. We need to let the rest of the world; particularly the ME part of the world, step up and sort out it's own. Take the money you want to piss away on 10k Syrians and actually give our Vets the care they deserve... we have more pressing issues...without adding to security concerns.

The Middle East is doing i's part. Europe is doing its part. It is time we did ours.

It doesn't add security concerns. Unless you're proposing that we end ALL immigration and isolate ourselves completely, your notions do no make us safer. There are a half dozen other ways to slip someone into this country that are far easier, far quicker with far less scrutiny and oversight than this. Freaking out about the refugees is like being scared a burglar might break into your home so in response you barricade your chimney.

Other than the vote Jeffy,

Before we go any further....who the hell is Jeffy?

they get full access to every welfare program in America, schools, you name it...it;s better than being a citizen...all the bennies, none of the responsibility. The Turks can absorb another 10k...the Syrian GDP per capita was $2k prior to the civil war...a country with a 19k per capita GDP is rich beyond the imagination of practically any Syrian. Just FYI also, China GDP per capita is under $7k...do you think they could afford to take some in? You really don't have much sense of proportion...have you been to any of the countries referenced here?

"You really don't have much sense of proportion", says the guy that claimed Turkey was bigger than Texas with a population the size of Delaware. <_</>

Turkey had already absorbed several hundred thousand into their system while still maintaining refugee camps for those they can't keep permanently. And they weren't the ones who went and created this power vacuum that allowed Daesh to fill the void. We were. It's a bit disingenuous to tell a country that is already doing way more than its part to take the 10,000 we are scheduled to take too.

But yeah, I'm the one that lacks proportion. :rolleyes:/>

If you aren't a Christian, feel free to ignore it. I think there are practical and moral reasons for us to do this.

Also, you are the last person on the planet that gets to credibly accuse anyone of "throwing out crap." If crap were outlawed, you'd be a mute.

As has now been confirmed by the French, the head honcho of the Paris attacks came in with the refugees...that is the issue here. There are over 1m on the current watch list...do you seriously think DHS can watch that many?

They, along with at least 3 other branches of our intelligence apparatus are screening about 10,000, not 1 million.

and you want to add to it in the name of what? Showing how tolerant you are? Showing your not islamaphobic? There are plenty of others that can take these folks in much closer to their home. We need to let the rest of the world; particularly the ME part of the world, step up and sort out it's own. Take the money you want to piss away on 10k Syrians and actually give our Vets the care they deserve... we have more pressing issues...without adding to security concerns.

The Middle East is doing i's part. Europe is doing its part. It is time we did ours.

It doesn't add security concerns. Unless you're proposing that we end ALL immigration and isolate ourselves completely, your notions do no make us safer. There are a half dozen other ways to slip someone into this country that are far easier, far quicker with far less scrutiny and oversight than this. Freaking out about the refugees is like being scared a burglar might break into your home so in response you barricade your chimney.

Burying your head in the sand and believing it can't happen is nonsense. When bad guys like this say they will do this I tend to believe that. I don't trust our government to get this right. and I damn sure don't trust the incompetent and corrupt boobs at the UN.

Burying your head in the sand and believing it can't happen is nonsense. When bad guys like this say they will do this I tend to believe that. I don't trust our government to get this right. and I damn sure don't trust the incompetent and corrupt boobs at the UN.

I'm not burying my head in the sand. To the contrary, I'm actually digging into the process and learning the differences in how these things are handled. Just because the bogeyman says "boo" doesn't mean I have to jump.

You won't prevent one terrorist from getting into this country by rejecting refugees. Not one.

Proud Tiger is digging a hole that you and the other chicken little's can get in. Please make sure there's no internet access...

Proud Tiger is digging a hole that you and the other chicken little's can get in. Please make sure there's no internet access...

I would not call people opposed to accepting more refugees "chicken". Many oppose the acceptance for reasons other than terrorism. When you look at the maps of states that generally oppose the process and the states that support, it shows some interesting info. Most of the supporting states have the larger cities that would be the most obvious targets for terrorism. Those states opposed aren't prime targets except for their military bases. I acknowledge that this also breaks down along political lines.

A terrorist would struggle to find my area unless they went after the nuclear plant on the south end of the lake. My only real fear is that attacks will add more deployments for our military, but honestly that is coming whether the attacks are in the US or not.

I would not call people opposed to accepting more refugees "chicken". Many oppose the acceptance for reasons other than terrorism. When you look at the maps of states that generally oppose the process and the states that support, it shows some interesting info. Most of the supporting states have the larger cities that would be the most obvious targets for terrorism. Those states opposed aren't prime targets except for their military bases. I acknowledge that this also breaks down along political lines.

A terrorist would struggle to find my area unless they went after the nuclear plant on the south end of the lake. My only real rear is that attacks will add more deployments for our military, but honestly that is coming whether the attacks are in the US or not.

I didnt write chicken. I wrote chicken little; there's a difference.

A terrorist would struggle to find my area unless they went after the nuclear plant on the south end of the lake. My only real rear is that attacks will add more deployments for our military, but honestly that is coming whether the attacks are in the US or not.

Noted.......I missed that part. While I responded to your comment it was more directed to general idea that people oppose out of fear. That seems to be a running theme in the discussion.

Noted.......I missed that part. While I responded to your comment it was more directed to general idea that people oppose out of fear. That seems to be a running theme in the discussion.

It's either fear or politics, sometimes I have a hard time figuring out which one. I tell you I know the threat. Terrorism will always be with us but I'm not changing my lifestyle.

They do oppose out of fear. Irrational fear at that.

It's either fear or politics, sometimes I have a hard time figuring out which one. I tell you I know the threat. Terrorism will always be with us but I'm not changing my lifestyle.

Agreed. Politics can cover a broad range of objections. I too know and understand the threat and definitely will not be changing my lifestyle.

That is a broad generalization you have applied to all that oppose. I respectfully disagree.

That is a broad generalization you have applied to all that oppose. I respectfully disagree.

I actually prefer AUUSN's answer. Fear or politics.

Boom!

Boom!

Boom?

Archived