Jon Solomon: Why Can't Auburn Win Consistently?

RunInRed

I don't think anyone in their right mind expected Auburn's D to suddenly be a Top 10 D right away. All I wanted to see was improvement, and that has finally happened. While I agree with some of what the article said, I think some of it was also a bit overdone.

War Damn Eagle Anyways....hoping for a BIG showing by our boys Saturday and spoiling bammer's year.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Somebody please tell me why everything hinges on Alabama?

Alabama doesn't have a damn thing to do with our putrid record vs UGA and LSU the last freaking decade. Alabama didn't make us run through 4 D coordinators in 5 years. Alabama doesn't evaluate our talent, recruit our players, fail to develop them, and do a piss poor job of creating a scheme for them to be successful. Alabama doesn't cause AU to fail to put a championship caliber team on the field.

And Alabama had no part in Auburn falling to the cellar of the SEC west this year...hell, we haven't even played them yet.

Alabama doesn't have a damn thing to do with our putrid record vs UGA and LSU the last freaking decade. Alabama didn't make us run through 4 D coordinators in 5 years. Alabama doesn't evaluate our talent, recruit our players, fail to develop them, and do a piss poor job of creating a scheme for them to be successful. Alabama doesn't cause AU to fail to put a championship caliber team on the field.

And Alabama had no part in Auburn falling to the cellar of the SEC west this year...hell, we haven't even played them yet.

Well put Keesler

<clap, clap, clap, clap, clap>

Well done....but watch your back...the truth is usually unappreciated.

And...unfortunately....if AU were to slip up and beat bama or play them a good game.....I suspect that for many / most folks...all would be forgiven as regards the earlier part of the season.

This article hinges on UAT because it's written by bammers, for bammers, and posted on UAT.com. To expect anything other than Saban worship is not realistic.

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

This article hinges on UAT because it's written by bammers, for bammers, and posted on UAT.com. To expect anything other than Saban worship is not realistic.

The article may hinge on bama...but for a great many AU people the season hinges on bama...which is what Keesler was noting. We all know why that is of course....so my advice is to pull hard for AU and keep your mouth shut when AU wins....or else grow up and agree that if you want to dish it out in Auburn's good years then you should just take it when AU loses.

PS...cool has it right too. .

The article may hinge on bama...but for a great many AU people the season hinges on bama...which is what Keesler was noting. We all know why that is of course....so my advice is to pull hard for AU and keep your mouth shut when AU wins....or else grow up and agree that if you want to dish it out in Auburn's good years then you should just take it when AU loses.

PS...cool has it right too. .

I don't get too wrapped up in it regardless of whether we win or not. I used to buthe not anymore.

THis is before the ALabama game, which is the LAST regular season game. This is usually where there is time to reflect on our records and our tendencies if we fail to achieve those goals internally or by the media. ALabama is the benchmark and our state rivalry. Saban is the benchmark for consistent winning programs. He DOES affect our recruiting (just look at the backyard highly regarded recruits he has gotten the last 2-3 years or the top Defensive players he gets instate and we don't).

So even though the article does not always use Alabama as a reference to Auburns ups and downs, Alabama's achievements (10+ win seasons, national championships won or been close too) are what we want too so naturally the comparisons. Georgia wins but doesnt do anything with it in winning championships.LSU, same thing recently.

So yes, Alabama doesnt affect everything that has happened to us, but more than you observe.

Jon Solomon asks a great question. Why Can't Auburn Win Consistently. Alabama and other teams from the power 5 doesn't seem to have any problems in that department.

Can we win with a pocket passer? If not, can we at least train Sean for (some) running abilities? Are any of our receivers next year capable of being legit threats? Are we right back to where we were in 2011?

So many questions...

The trend I see on this forum is the typical response from some auburn people who refuse to admit that the other school across the state is dominating the state at the moment. This is shaping up to be a run like bear had in the 70's. And if auburn doesn't strive to achieve dominance like bama, we will forever be a Rollar coaster team.

Metafour posted this. This is why they are successful.

“One thing I noticed about him is how he builds the infrastructure of a program,” Trickett said. “Not everybody wants to be a head coach, but I do. Being around him, seeing how he sets up the structure of a program from top to bottom, from training room to weight room to academics to everything, it’s a talent that not everyone has. He has the ability to, whatever your job may be — student assistant, GA, part-time coach — Coach Saban has the ability to make whoever is in that building feel like, whatever job they’ve got, it’s the most important job. If they don’t do their job, the program won’t run. Everybody has that sense of urgency in the entire building.

“Whether it’s in the weight room, you could be running a camp, and — Geoff Collins, Jeremy Pruitt and I were off-field — we had to make sure the kids were loaded on the buses at summer camp. You felt like that job was so important, because if you didn’t do it, you could get (in trouble). You make sure, whatever you’re assigned, was done to the best it could possibly be done. I don’t know how he does it, but he just has that command. He makes you better.

“I saw him make all the coaches that coach under him better, because he has that sense of urgency. Because the way he pushes you and questions, ‘Why are you doing this? Have you thought about doing that?’ He has a clear vision. He’s extremely smart. That was something, as far as infrastructure and how serious the business of college football is, it was great.”

Can we win with a pocket passer? If not, can we at least train Sean for (some) running abilities? Are any of our receivers next year capable of being legit threats? Are we right back to where we were in 2011?

So many questions...

Of course we can. It's apparent that Gus thinks so too, pocket passers are what he's recruited for the past three years.

The trend I see on this forum is the typical response from some auburn people who refuse to admit that the other school across the state is dominating the state at the moment. This is shaping up to be a run like bear had in the 70's. And if auburn doesn't strive to achieve dominance like bama...

Hooey! Seriously man, hooey!

Look...just because AU shares the state with one of the best run cheating enterprises ever in D1 NCAA football -- perhaps THE greatest cheating enterprise ever -- does not mean that AU has not had great success. Think about it. In all of D1, is there any program anywhere that has had bammer's long term success in recruiting? Why do coaches who go to bammer suddenly become great recruiters and world beaters? Do you think that other coaches don't work as hard? That the coaches at bammer have special knowledge? That the Texas's and USC's and Oklahoma's and Penn State's and Georgia's AU's and even the FSU's of the world aren't doing everything they can (or at least everything they are comfortable with) to try and duplicate what goes on over in Tuscaloosa? Why do you think that no university in any league has been able to do that since Bryant returned to bammer way back when?

There's more to life than winning. Basic integrity comes to mind. Winning the right way comes to mind, because winning through...um....other means isn't really winning at all.

Nick Saban was a fairly mediocre coach at Michigan State. He was good at LSU, but even there he did not have the kind of success he's had at bammer. (Wonder why that is?) And his stint with the Miami Dolphins ought to put to rest the idea that he's heads and shoulders over every coach on the planet. So...how to explain his success in Tuscaloosa? How to explain the way that bammer dominates recruiting not just in the SEC but in the entirety of college football year after year after year, drawing five star players to ride the bench or be processed? Occam's razor says that bammer's coaches don't get smarter when they go to bammer or dumber when they leave.

AU is one of the most successful D1 football programs there is, historically in the top 10 or 15 or all D1 football programs. If AU were in any other league or any other division besides the one with the best cheating enterprise in all of D1, what do you think the AU record might be?

I don't want AU to be bammer. If I wanted to be bammer, I'd join the toothless masses. AU is better than that, because at AU, we know that winning is great, but it's not everything.

Some how all that integrity and winning the right way doesn't make me feel better about my team sitting at the bottom of the SECW and possibly heading to freaking Legion Field for a craptastic bowl.

There is NEVER an excuse for Auburn football to get eclipsed by the Mississippi schools, or a baffoon coaching Arkansas. There is never an excuse for Auburn to fall to the bottom of the division.

Some how all that integrity and winning the right way doesn't make me feel better about my team sitting at the bottom of the SECW and possibly heading to freaking Legion Field for a craptastic bowl.

Yeah? So? Maybe you and people like you are part of the problem. Maybe too damned many people are too worried about how they "feel" right now and are too willing to do the wrong thing to feel better. Drug addicts and Alabama football. Not where I wanna be.

Obviously there is value in running a program that is ethically strong (also slightly humorous since the entire nation would scoff hard at the idea that Auburn is a clean program - not saying its true or not but the discrepancy b/t national perspective on AU vs the in house perspective is interesting). But I kind of side with Keesler here. In the midst of another frustrating loss the integrity of the program doesn't help the frustration. Also, you could have the Pope coaching AU and if the losses pile up you can bet he'd be sent packing too regardless of how honest the program is being run.

All the integrity in the world coupled with no off-field incidents and good graduation rates didn't save Tubs' job at AU.

Nice read. Gus needs the right QB and all would be swell. Hope they are shaking down the Ju-Cos as we speak. We don't seem to develop QBs very well.

Nice read. Gus needs the right QB and all would be swell. Hope they are shaking down the Ju-Cos as we speak. We don't seem to develop QBs very well.

I think that a staff shakeup is coming and that someone who can do that will take that job.

Archived