Will Muschamp (Combined Thread)

Potatooooooes!!

I don't think Muschamp is going to USCe unless he is a fall back. They want an offensive coach. If he was to go to UGA with Kirby, which I doubt, then Pruitt would be available. Not a bad trade off. Kirby is going to want to keep his hand in the defense and Boom is not going to want someone meddling. I really think he stays and rebuilds our defense until he gets an offer from another SEC school. Of course, the other possibility no one is discussing is what about Bammer? Would Saban go after him and would he be willing to work as DC under the little tyrant with hopes of stepping into the big job when the wee one retires?

Should Boom go with Smart to UGA, Pruitt is much more likely to end up back at spuat than he is AU.

wde

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bleacher report? Anybody can write for them

True ...but until Joe Schad says it's happening....I ain't believin' it.

BTW....is CWM renting month to month in AU or did he buy a house?

Bleacher report? Anybody can write for them

True ...but until Joe Schad says it's happening....I ain't believin' it.

BTW....is CWM renting month to month in AU or did he buy a house?

He bought a house.

Didn't CWM's wife really want to move back to Auburn because it is close to family and she was tired of moving around. She might have a little say in if they go or stay. Personally i think unless it is a really good HC job muschamp stays.

Also Auburn knew what it was getting themselves into with CWM and knew he could walk after a year. That was very risky for recruiting and defensive cohesiveness going into the next season. Hopefully Gus had a good backup plan.

Didn't CWM's wife really want to move back to Auburn because it is close to family and she was tired of moving around. She might have a little say in if they go or stay. Personally i think unless it is a really good HC job muschamp stays.

Also Auburn knew what it was getting themselves into with CWM and knew he could walk after a year. That was very risky for recruiting and defensive cohesiveness going into the next season. Hopefully Gus had a good backup plan.

The Mushchamps have allot of family in Rome Ga. Darlington High School etc...

Are we really worried about a lateral move?

I think you always have to be "worried" but I think if Will takes a job it will be another HC job. His wife is an Auburn gal and she likes it here....but that doesn't mean he won't take another job somewhere if he thinks it will benefit them.

The Mushchamps have allot of family in Rome Ga. Darlington High School etc...

If that's the case moving makes no difference it's about the same distance to either or

This is just my two cents. Coaches in the biz may have more insights I'm not privy to.

1. Will is not making a lateral move to UGA, period. If UGA had wanted him as head coach, he'd be gone yesterday. But he's not joining Kirby Smart as his DC. So just get that out of your head.

2. The SC job is interesting. It's not a slam dunk though. Will is in a tough position right now. He wants to be a HC again. But regardless of circumstances (mostly the QB position being a mess the whole time, though his attempt to move them to a pro-style attack hurt too), his tenure at Florida is perceived as a failure. Now, he can learn from the mistakes he made and I believe someone will give him a chance again to show he can adapt and learn. But the next HC job he gets HAS to work for the sake of his career. He isn't in a position to take any job that comes open because a second head coaching "failure" will likely mean he's consigned to a coordinator role for the next decade, if not the rest of his career unless he drops way down to a desperate mid major program. So to go to SC, he needs to see this as a place that has the pieces in place to be successful with a little work.

Is SC that place? UGA, Florida and Tennessee - the traditional powers of the East - appear to be getting better overall, not worse. SC has just gone through an era with a legendary coach at the helm and all three of those powers down or underachieving and could not win the East but once (2010). On top of that, they share a state with Clemson who has historically been much better than SC and is clicking on all cylinders under Dabo. They are recruiting lights out and one win away from the top seed in the playoffs. And SC's offense (particularly the QB play) was atrocious this year. Sound familiar? That just doesn't sound like a recipe for a quick turnaround. Now a young up and comer might be ok with that. But Muschamp is probably out of mulligans. Is that unfair? Yeah, probably. But is it reality? Yeah, most likely. I'm just not sure Will is going to take that chance. He wants to make sure the next HC shot he gets is going to have every chance to succeed and I don't think SC can give a clear prognosis of success.

I agree I don't think he will leave unless it's an HC job. GA. is taken and it looks like Miami will be soon. USCw has been filled and I think VT will be soon. I don't think USCe will be hiring Muschamp seems they are looking in another direction so with that said I think we will have him for another year or two. this many good jobs don't come open every year so it may be 3 or 4 years. By then we should have a pretty good base on Def. even when he does leave.

https://www.seccount...muschamp-to-uga

Report: Kirby Smart wants to bring Will Muschamp to UGA

Smart wants Auburn defensive coordinator Will Muschamp to serve in the same capacity on his staff, according to Football Scoop.

However, that is not a done deal, as Muschamp — a candidate for a handful of coaching jobs,including South Carolina’s — “might have other things working,” Football Scoop reported.

FWIW - Lee Shirvanian on WNSP radio in Mobile has said that the same source that told him that MR would be fired is telling him that Muschamp will be joining Smart at Georgia. I pray that he and his source are wrong!

The latest from the same SCe admin claiming all signs pointing to Muschamp:

According to a report from ESPN.com, South Carolina plans to speak with Oklahoma offensive coordinator Lincoln Riley about its vacant head coaching position.

We anticipate this contact to happen in the next 24 hours.

John Whittle of TheBigSpur.com mentioned Riley on Tuesday as a candidate that USC athletics director Ray Tanner has had his eye on for most of the process, though the interest in the 32-year old never became public.

Riley is believed to be among the top candidates for the Gamecocks job, along with Auburn defensive coordinator and former Florida head coach Will Muschamp, now that Houston head coach Tom Herman and Alabama defensive coordinator Kirby Smart, who is accepting the head coach job at Georgia, are off the table.

Sources told TheBigSpur.com earlier this week that if the job came down to Riley and Muschamp that Muschamp was the likely pick, but not to rule out Riley.

Riley is in his first year at Oklahoma after a five-year stint as the offensive coordinator at East Carolina. He played and coached at Texas Tech and is from the Mike Leach coaching tree. The Sooners (11-1) are heading to the College Football Playoff this season and have averaged more than 45 points per game and more than 300 rushing yards per game under the leadership of Riley, who also coaches quarterbacks and has developed Baker Mayfield into a Heisman Trophy candidate.

A college football contact told TBS this past weekend that if South Carolina hired Riley it would be "visionary" because of his relative youth and inexperience, but high respect level in the coaching community.

South Carolina is expected to make a coaching hire by the end of this week.

Hell, if USCe doesn't hire Riley can Auburn go after him? We need an OC/QB coach in the worst way....Pay him the big bank money like we pay Muschamp if we have to. :gofig:

https://www.seccount...muschamp-to-uga

Smart wants Auburn defensive coordinator Will Muschamp to serve in the same capacity on his staff, according to Football Scoop.

However, that is not a done deal, as Muschamp — a candidate for a handful of coaching jobs,including South Carolina’s — “might have other things working,” Football Scoop reported.

I really would hate to lose Muschamp, mainly because he is the Yin to Malzahn's Yang. Malzahn is well-mannered, reserved and somewhat quiet on the sidelines. Muschamp brings the fire, the passion and the enthusiasm on the sideline. Gus doesn't seem to want to engage the refs too much, and Will is more than happy to do that for him. Not to mention that our defense has improved all year, and we have some elite recruits that have committed to us that might be looking elsewhere if we lose WM.

FWIW - Lee Shirvanian on WNSP radio in Mobile has said that the same source that told him that MR would be fired is telling him that Muschamp will be joining Smart at Georgia. I pray that he and his source are wrong!

So Muschamp is taking a pay cut for a lateral position to coach our rival. Wow

Report: TitanTiger wants a million dollars.

The likelihood of the latter is only slightly lower than the former.

The latest from the same SCe admin claiming all signs pointing to Muschamp:

According to a report from ESPN.com, South Carolina plans to speak with Oklahoma offensive coordinator Lincoln Riley about its vacant head coaching position.

We anticipate this contact to happen in the next 24 hours.

John Whittle of TheBigSpur.com mentioned Riley on Tuesday as a candidate that USC athletics director Ray Tanner has had his eye on for most of the process, though the interest in the 32-year old never became public.

Riley is believed to be among the top candidates for the Gamecocks job, along with Auburn defensive coordinator and former Florida head coach Will Muschamp, now that Houston head coach Tom Herman and Alabama defensive coordinator Kirby Smart, who is accepting the head coach job at Georgia, are off the table.

Sources told TheBigSpur.com earlier this week that if the job came down to Riley and Muschamp that Muschamp was the likely pick, but not to rule out Riley.

Riley is in his first year at Oklahoma after a five-year stint as the offensive coordinator at East Carolina. He played and coached at Texas Tech and is from the Mike Leach coaching tree. The Sooners (11-1) are heading to the College Football Playoff this season and have averaged more than 45 points per game and more than 300 rushing yards per game under the leadership of Riley, who also coaches quarterbacks and has developed Baker Mayfield into a Heisman Trophy candidate.

A college football contact told TBS this past weekend that if South Carolina hired Riley it would be "visionary" because of his relative youth and inexperience, but high respect level in the coaching community.

South Carolina is expected to make a coaching hire by the end of this week.

Hell, if USCe doesn't hire Riley can Auburn go after him? We need an OC/QB coach in the worst way....Pay him the big bank money like we pay Muschamp if we have to. :gofig:

I actually like this idea on Riley

I agree I don't think he will leave unless it's an HC job. GA. is taken and it looks like Miami will be soon. USCw has been filled and I think VT will be soon. I don't think USCe will be hiring Muschamp seems they are looking in another direction so with that said I think we will have him for another year or two. this many good jobs don't come open every year so it may be 3 or 4 years. By then we should have a pretty good base on Def. even when he does leave.

Fuentes took the VaTech job last week.

I agree with your post - if Muschamp wants to coach in the SEC, then he should take the USCe job if it's offered because it will be a couple of years before another SEC job comes open unless he wants to coach at Vandy or Kentucky, and USCe is better than both of those programs.

Fuentes took the VaTech job last week.

I agree with your post - if Muschamp wants to coach in the SEC, then he should take the USCe job if it's offered because it will be a couple of years before another SEC job comes open unless he wants to coach at Vandy or Kentucky, and USCe is better than both of those programs.

Very true.

Archived