Will Muschamp (Combined Thread)

Potatooooooes!!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just wish USCe would hire their dang coach already

they should just assemble a team of former auburn coaches. No head coach. Loeffler, Chizik, and Trooper.

http://coachingsearc...g-search-ticker

South Carolina: TigerIllustrated reports Will Muschamp has reached out to Clemson co-offensive coordinator Jeff Scott to gauge his potential interest in becoming South Carolina’s offensive coordinator if Muschamp becomes head coach.

Surely to goodness Muschamp has his butt on the recruiting trail and has his mind 100% focused on Auburn's recruiting class. :banghead:

South Carolina: TigerIllustrated reports Will Muschamp has reached out to Clemson co-offensive coordinator Jeff Scott to gauge his potential interest in becoming South Carolina’s offensive coordinator if Muschamp becomes head coach.

Surely to goodness Muschamp has his butt on the recruiting trail and has his mind 100% focused on Auburn's recruiting class. :banghead:

Will's got to do what's best for him and his family.

Dude inherited a trainwreck. Saved last year's recruiting class. Worked his butt off to turn this defense and its culture around. It will be awful if he leaves, but he'll owe us no apologies if he does.

Surely to goodness Muschamp has his butt on the recruiting trail and has his mind 100% focused on Auburn's recruiting class. :banghead:/>

Dude inherited a trainwreck. Saved last year's recruiting class. Worked his butt off to turn this defense and its culture around. It will be awful if he leaves, but he'll owe us no apologies if he does.

But the posters in this thread will find a way to criticize him nonetheless.

CWM has always been an antsy coordinator. I was shocked to remember earlier this season that his first stint with us was just 2 seasons. He's just a rambling man. If SCar does offer him the head coaching job, which is still a bit on the unlikely spectrum, I would not blame him one bit. If I see a promotion, I take it. He should too.

South Carolina: TigerIllustrated reports Will Muschamp has reached out to Clemson co-offensive coordinator Jeff Scott to gauge his potential interest in becoming South Carolina's offensive coordinator if Muschamp becomes head coach.

Surely to goodness Muschamp has his butt on the recruiting trail and has his mind 100% focused on Auburn's recruiting class. :banghead:/>

"If" he's trying to build a staff for SoCarl on Auburn's dime during a crucial recruiting period then I'm criticizing it. Bash me if you wish, IDGAS.

South Carolina: TigerIllustrated reports Will Muschamp has reached out to Clemson co-offensive coordinator Jeff Scott to gauge his potential interest in becoming South Carolina's offensive coordinator if Muschamp becomes head coach.

"If" he's trying to build a staff for SoCarl on Auburn's dime during a crucial recruiting period then I'm criticizing it. Bash me if you wish, IDGAS.

My post was a response to Mcloofus. Wasn't directed at you. I apologize if it seemed I did.i would only assume Muschamp wouldn't build a staff using Auburn's resources.

Jeff Scott isn't leaving Clemson to coach at Carolina....of course I've been wrong before.

I have to agree with Titan Tiger here. Muschamp doesn't have any margin for error when he does become a HC again so he has to be very careful where he goes. It takes time and it's not easy to turn another program around and SC isn't the best situation for him to do that. The wrong decision by him now would be devastating for his HC career progression.

As far as other DC jobs, I don't see it. He is getting $1.6 mill from AU, the AU community loves the guy, he has complete autonomy with his defense and the opportunity to really increase his cache' over the next year or two.

Having said all that, he might have already taken the SC job for all I know. :'(

Not bashing you, just disagreeing. In theory I agree with you- it doesn't "feel" right- but I won't single Muschamp out for playing the game by the rules that others set. He's got to do his due diligence before making a decision, and there's no way to avoid doing that on Auburn's dime. And fwiw, that's what he's doing- seeing if he could build a staff that would be suitable there. Due diligence. Might only be a semantic distinction, but I felt it worth pointing out.

Kirby Smart's doing the exact same thing on bama's dime. It's how business is conducted.

I have to agree with Titan Tiger here. Muschamp doesn't have any margin for error when he does become a HC again so he has to be very careful where he goes. It takes time and it's not easy to turn another program around and SC isn't the best situation for him to do that. The wrong decision by him now would be devastating for his HC career progression.

As far as other DC jobs, I don't see it. He is getting $1.6 mill from AU, the AU community loves the guy, he has complete autonomy with his defense and the opportunity to really increase his cache' over the next year or two.

Having said all that, he might have already taken the SC job for all I know. :'(

Regarding taking the uga DC job, I agree with you unless he feels he would have more stability at uga as a DC with a new HC who will have at least 3 years. Compared to what is going to be a pressure cooker season next season at AU for Gus.

wde

Having said all that, he might have already taken the SC job for all I know. :'(/>

Regarding taking the uga DC job, I agree with you unless he feels he would have more stability at uga as a DC with a new HC who will have at least 3 years. Compared to what is going to be a pressure cooker season next season at AU for Gus.

wde

That's very true and he has a lot to think about. It has definitely crossed my mind that even if he stays, he could have the whole thing blow up in his face next year.

Having said all that, he might have already taken the SC job for all I know. :'(/>

wde

That's very true and he has a lot to think about. It has definitely crossed my mind that even if he stays, he could have the whole thing blow up in his face next year.

Or we could offer him the HC job if Gus is fired. I don't see why he wouldn't be a candidate.

I've always believed in the motto "it's easier to find a job when you already have one, than it is to be unemployed and find a job". CWM might be concerned that, if Gus doesn't turn the offense around and start winning some conference games, changes may be coming in the next year or two, and Coach Boom might not have some of the interest he is getting now.

Pure speculation, of course. I truly don't see Gus just failing to turn things around, but stranger things have happened. I'm hoping for a complete 180 starting next season, but for that to happen, it is IMPERATIVE that SW, JF III, or Woody Barrett come on like gangbusters and lead this team. I do not think JJ will be in the mix next year, even if he stays.

wde

Or we could offer him the HC job if Gus is fired. I don't see why he wouldn't be a candidate.

That would be exactly the Jay Jacobs' type of hire.

wde

wde

Muschamp is not a DC that has to worry about his next job. If Gus were to falter next year, unless the defense was crap, Muschamp would have an excellent chance at being our next head coach. If he's not, there are a dozen good schools out there that would fight like morons at a Walmart Black Friday sale to get him as their DC and probably 3-5 schools that would offer him their head coaching job.

I agree with your post - if Muschamp wants to coach in the SEC, then he should take the USCe job if it's offered because it will be a couple of years before another SEC job comes open unless he wants to coach at Vandy or Kentucky, and USCe is better than both of those programs.

I think CWM has to consider more than just "open SEC jobs other than Vandy or UK." He has to feel confident that whatever job he takes has the building blocks and tools needed to be successful in the next couple of years. Is SC that kind of job? I think the answer is fuzzy on that given their offensive woes, the lack of recruiting the last few years and the fact that Tennessee, Florida and Georgia seem to be trending upward while Clemson is hitting on all cylinders.

He can't afford to have a second straight HC job not work out because of things that he can't control. SC's position in the college football universe is one of those things. Their current offensive woes reeks of the same issues he had at Florida.

Maybe he has a plan to address that stuff. Maybe there's more raw material at SC to work with than I think. But it's not a clear cut easy decision in my eyes.

Good points. Also, there's a lot of risk for South Carolina in hiring him as HC. I just don't see it happening.

wde

That would be exactly the Jay Jacobs' type of hire.

wde

This. Seems Will's safest route is to stay here. It's actually a cant lose scenario for him.

Phillip Marshall, on the front page of 24/7, copy under a pic to a link behind the pay wall... "Auburn's Will Muschamp will reportedly interview at South Carolina today." :(

I am SO tired of the defensive coaching musical chairs.

#PMARSHONAU: Is Muschamp still in 'for the long haul?'

6_3328831.jpg

67Comments

by Phillip Marshall, 4 hours ago, Auburn's Will Muschamp will reportedly interview at South Carolina today. His alma mater has interest. Will he be Auburn's defensive coordinator next week? More

Being reported that UGA has hired Smart and that Smart has targeted CWM as his DC. This is interesting. CWM went to UGA, doubt they can outpay us and CWM has a lot of power at AU now. Not sure Smart will give him this.

Hmmm, take a pay cut AND get mircro managed? Seems like a good trade off.

Yeah I am not worried about that at all

Phillip Marshall, on the front page of 24/7, copy under a pic to a link behind the pay wall... "Auburn's Will Muschamp will reportedly interview at South Carolina today." :(

I am SO tired of the defensive coaching musical chairs.

Doesn't mean he is leaving, even if he interviews. I've interviewed for jobs before, knowing full well I'm not going to take it if offered. Sometimes, it's to jockey for more money at my current gig. Sometimes, it's for experience at interviewing. Sometimes, it's because I was approached with the opportunity, and I don't want to burn any bridges I might need to cross in the future. Not saying that any of these apply to CWM, but just because he interviews doesn't mean he is gone. Besides, Auburn knew this might happen. This would be an excellent time for Gus to show that he is, indeed, capable of being a head coach. You can't implode when an assistant gets a better offer. Any suggestions on who we would look at to replace CWM??? Please don't say Garner.

Archived