Will Muschamp (Combined Thread)

Potatooooooes!!

My observation: in this forum everyone is freaking out BELIEVING that Muschamp is probably gone. At the USCe forum, no one is really talking as if they believe Muschamp will be their head coach. I am seeing a lot of other names thrown around.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Report: Kirby Smart wants to bring Will Muschamp to UGA

Report: TitanTiger wants a million dollars.

The likelihood of the latter is only slightly lower than the former.

I would have thought the likelihood of you WANTING a million dollars would be pretty high. Go figure! LOL

I agree with your post - if Muschamp wants to coach in the SEC, then he should take the USCe job if it's offered because it will be a couple of years before another SEC job comes open unless he wants to coach at Vandy or Kentucky, and USCe is better than both of those programs.

I think CWM has to consider more than just "open SEC jobs other than Vandy or UK." He has to feel confident that whatever job he takes has the building blocks and tools needed to be successful in the next couple of years. Is SC that kind of job? I think the answer is fuzzy on that given their offensive woes, the lack of recruiting the last few years and the fact that Tennessee, Florida and Georgia seem to be trending upward while Clemson is hitting on all cylinders.

He can't afford to have a second straight HC job not work out because of things that he can't control. SC's position in the college football universe is one of those things. Their current offensive woes reeks of the same issues he had at Florida.

Maybe he has a plan to address that stuff. Maybe there's more raw material at SC to work with than I think. But it's not a clear cut easy decision in my eyes.

My observation: in this forum everyone is freaking out BELIEVING that Muschamp is probably gone. At the USCe forum, no one is really talking as if they believe Muschamp will be their head coach. I am seeing a lot of other names thrown around.

I don't think they want him either...he's not a proven winner as a HC and known to be a 'hot-head'.

I like his 'hot-headiness' by the way, just saying though.

I agree with your post - if Muschamp wants to coach in the SEC, then he should take the USCe job if it's offered because it will be a couple of years before another SEC job comes open unless he wants to coach at Vandy or Kentucky, and USCe is better than both of those programs.

I think CWM has to consider more than just "open SEC jobs other than Vandy or UK." He has to feel confident that whatever job he takes has the building blocks and tools needed to be successful in the next couple of years. Is SC that kind of job? I think the answer is fuzzy on that given their offensive woes, the lack of recruiting the last few years and the fact that Tennessee, Florida and Georgia seem to be trending upward while Clemson is hitting on all cylinders.

He can't afford to have a second straight HC job not work out because of things that he can't control. SC's position in the college football universe is one of those things. Their current offensive woes reeks of the same issues he had at Florida.

Maybe he has a plan to address that stuff. Maybe there's more raw material at SC to work with than I think. But it's not a clear cut easy decision in my eyes.

No it's not clear cut. But Muschamp didn't think Florida should have fired him - he "thought" he could get that offense back on track. He has had a big ego, albeit that ego was hit hard when he had to come back down to a DC position. But "if" he wants HC in this conference, then there will be slim pickins after this year IMO.

I don't think they want him either...he's not a proven winner as a HC and known to be a 'hot-head'.

I like his 'hot-headiness' by the way, just saying though.

It doesn't sound like USCe is looking for a proven winner as a HC. I agree with you on the hot-head part though, some programs may want to steer clear of that some may not care about it.

Add Cole to the million dollar list. Actually 1.5 as TT knows I don't like to be out done

Add Cole to the million dollar list. Actually 1.5 as TT knows I don't like to be out done

Plus the need to recover from the IRS hit. ;)

Here is a timeline of the USCe coaching search, with Muschamp's name one among many in the list (per SBNation)

South Carolina

• December 1: South Carolina plans to meet with Oklahoma OC Lincoln Riley, ESPN reports. Memphis is also interested.

• December 1: Georgia defensive coordinator Jeremy Pruitt is reportedly a candidate.

• November 30: Auburn DC Will Muschamp is "getting some consideration" for the South Carolina job, FOX's Bruce Feldman reports.

• November 30: Houston and Tom Herman have "agreed in principle" to a new deal that would keep the highly sought-after head coach with the Cougars.

• November 28: A Houston star player says Tom Herman "killed the South Carolina thing" and won't be doing much this week besides focusing on the conference championship.

• November 25: Alabama DC Kirby Smart is reportedly the frontrunner for the South Carolina job, FOX's Bruce Feldman reports.

• November 11: Houston HC Tom Herman seems to be the favorite. Is that feeling mutual?

• November 6: More Arizona HC Rich Rodriguez-South Carolina chatter, this time by ESPN's Joe Schad.

• October 26: If Miami doesn't pony up, the South Carolina job might be better.

• October 20: ESPN's Travis Haney says the Gamecocks could go big enough to land Rodriguez.

• October 19: Alabama DC Kirby Smart "would take the job if offered," three Bama writers in this roundtable seem to agree.

• October 15: Former Texas (and North Carolina) HC Mack Brown says he'd "love to talk to" the Gamecocks.

• October 14: Bovada lists Smart, interim Shawn Elliott, Memphis HC Justin Fuente and LSU DLC Ed Orgeron as the betting favorites.

• Keep an eye on Dallas Cowboys AHC Rich Bisaccia, a former (very former) South Carolina and Clemson assistant.

•Is Maryland a better job than South Carolina? That's the debate in this Bill Connelly/Steven Godfrey podcast, but SC ranks one spot higher here for now.

• October 13: HC Steve Spurrier just up and left. Longtime assistant Elliott takes over and should have a real shot to keep the job.

• Garnet And Black Attack has plenty of potential candidates, with Rodriguez and Fuente perhaps the two most interesting.

• Michigan State HC Mark Dantonio: "Coach Spurrier has had an outstanding career there; it's my alma mater. We're here to talk about Michigan."

•The State's Josh Kendall has six names to know, with Western Michigan HC P.J. Fleck appearing first.

• October 12: Uh, Spurrier is retiring? Now? Tomorrow? Everyone's reading this list of his greatest quotes. Please stop this ride.

• September 22: Spurrier on HOT SEAT WATCH? :(/>

• Offseason heat check: A five-win season should be okay, but he's more likely to leave than be fired, predicts Garnet and Black Attack.

No it's not clear cut. But Muschamp didn't think Florida should have fired him - he "thought" he could get that offense back on track. He has had a big ego, albeit that ego was hit hard when he had to come back down to a DC position. But "if" he wants HC in this conference, then there will be slim pickins after this year IMO.

Not too sure the pickins will be "slim" after this year. In the results oriented society we live in, I could see Miss St., UT, and possibly even Ole Miss and/or Auburn jobs opening up within 2-3 years. This would be a stretch, don't get me wrong, but let's just say that Mullen can't get over the hump and take Miss St any further than he has them right now. Or Butch Jones hits a plateau at UT. What about Hugh Freeze and Gus? Now that Auburn has tasted success, will we be willing to go 3-5 years between trips to Atlanta? Will Ole Miss be willing to just win 8-9 games a season? I think UGA firing Richt will have a ripple affect over the next few seasons that will prove that "big money needs to bring big, consistent success". Personally, I think this will further ruin college football, and make it more like the NFL/NBA. It all started with outrageous salaries, and ridiculous clauses in contracts that gave in to the demands of coaches. I really hope I'm wrong, but the trends show that you better win, you better win fast, and you better keep winning to keep your job.

Not too sure the pickins will be "slim" after this year. In the results oriented society we live in, I could see Miss St., UT, and possibly even Ole Miss and/or Auburn jobs opening up within 2-3 years. This would be a stretch, don't get me wrong, but let's just say that Mullen can't get over the hump and take Miss St any further than he has them right now. Or Butch Jones hits a plateau at UT. What about Hugh Freeze and Gus? Now that Auburn has tasted success, will we be willing to go 3-5 years between trips to Atlanta? Will Ole Miss be willing to just win 8-9 games a season? I think UGA firing Richt will have a ripple affect over the next few seasons that will prove that "big money needs to bring big, consistent success". Personally, I think this will further ruin college football, and make it more like the NFL/NBA. It all started with outrageous salaries, and ridiculous clauses in contracts that gave in to the demands of coaches. I really hope I'm wrong, but the trends show that you better win, you better win fast, and you better keep winning to keep your job.

Sure 2-3 yrs down the road the SEC landscape is surely to change again.

As proven by the firing of Richt and the near firing of Miles, programs aren't will to sit back and watch a program become stagnant (UGA) with 9-10 wins a year, nor will they sit back and watch a program decline over a couple of years (LSU). Even though UGA/LSU had/have solid coaches that stayed out of NCAA trouble, hauled in great recruiting classes, and fielded really good teams for many years; those schools want to be in contention EVERY year for championships.

You can't pay multi-millions to a HC and sit back and watch him screw around with the game management, preparation, and failure to develop the talent he has (Miles.) You can't pay millions to a HC and even though he wins plenty of games, he can't get your team into championship contention (UGA.) Saban has set the bar in this conference and even though it is a near unreachable bar, other programs want what they have. They are willing to trash can great men and good coaches to obtain that level of consistant success. What I witnessed the last couple weeks with LSU & UGA leads me to believe this conference has gone crazy with the win-at-all-cost mentality.

http://coachingsearch.com/coaching-search-ticker

South Carolina: TigerIllustrated reports Will Muschamp has reached out to Clemson co-offensive coordinator Jeff Scott to gauge his potential interest in becoming South Carolina’s offensive coordinator if Muschamp becomes head coach.

http://coachingsearc...g-search-ticker

South Carolina: TigerIllustrated reports Will Muschamp has reached out to Clemson co-offensive coordinator Jeff Scott to gauge his potential interest in becoming South Carolina’s offensive coordinator if Muschamp becomes head coach.

Wish that was coming from a USC site instead of a Clemson one.

http://coachingsearch.com/coaching-search-ticker

OK, that report has me a little concerned. The rest of the reported garbage, not so much

shows how much faith he has in lashlee and his ability to run Gus's offense or he would be taking him with him.

First, these are all rumors at this point. No one knows if Muschamp has reached out to anyone, officially. Second, there wouldn't be any "taking Lashlee with him." There are no ties between those two guys, no allegiance. Lashlee is Gus' guy, not Will's. It wouldn't say anything if Will were to look somewhere else. Those hires are typically founded upon relationships first.

shows how much faith he has in lashlee and his ability to run Gus's offense or he would be taking him with him.

First, these are all rumors at this point. No one knows if Muschamp has reached out to anyone, officially. Second, there wouldn't be any "taking Lashlee with him." There are no ties between those two guys, no allegiance. Lashlee is Gus' guy, not Will's. It wouldn't say anything if Will were to look somewhere else. Those hires are typically founded upon relationships first.

Agreed.

http://coachingsearc...g-search-ticker

Wish that was coming from a USC site instead of a Clemson one.

Not good.

Do not indulge this talk. Muschamp is not jumpinh ship. Never forget some rumors are made to get some coaches a bigger pay day or to pressure another coach into committing.

Archived