Will Muschamp (Combined Thread)

Potatooooooes!!

At least I didn't see any Cyrus K helmet slaps this year but yes, they are taught this. I wonder who teaches the refs not to believe their eyes ? It really was pathetic to witness.

That's the thing, I'm sure they are coached to do just that, it seems they do it all the time. But why do the refs so rarely call a hold against them? I don't get it.

To be fair, I watched a few games this year (not involving AU or uat) and I saw several instances of holding that were not called. I don't have the stats to say holding calls are down this year or the last couple compared to other years; but, by the eye test, it sure seems there are many that go unnoticed . . . or at least, uncalled.

Cole Cubelic agrees with you. He tweeted that they're definitely down this year.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least I didn't see any Cyrus K helmet slaps this year but yes, they are taught this. I wonder who teaches the refs not to believe their eyes ? It really was pathetic to witness.

That's the thing, I'm sure they are coached to do just that, it seems they do it all the time. But why do the refs so rarely call a hold against them? I don't get it.

To be fair, I watched a few games this year (not involving AU or uat) and I saw several instances of holding that were not called. I don't have the stats to say holding calls are down this year or the last couple compared to other years; but, by the eye test, it sure seems there are many that go unnoticed . . . or at least, uncalled.

yeah...but when we do it the flag comes out faster than the HUNH (when used properly). ;)

TAMU does some of this too but, compared to what was going on out there Saturday, they are pikers.

you have to wonder if South Carolina is a job he would risk his career on. Fail at one program, and you can redeem yourself. Fail at two? Steve Spurrier is basically the only coach in that program's history to have a good record, and there's a reason for that.

Well, that's the thing. Lower expectations. Just get them to a bowl every year and sniff the occasional SEC East title and you're good to go. They'll be patient with him over there. Also, they'll more than likely let him call his own shots. There's been talk that UF PTB meddled with his offenses (or at least OC hires) like there's been talk that Auburn PTB have meddled with our defenses. No idea if that's true, but all he needs to do is hire a good OC and let them do their job. His defenses at UF remained stellar throughout his tenure.

Wait, is this a secure line? Disregard! Disregard! It's a trap, Will! South Carolina will end you!

I think South Carolina has lower expectations and more patience than UGA or Florida, but I think Spurrier gave them a taste of something they want more of. They got their first taste of a division title and championship game in 2010, and he followed that up with three 11-2 seasons in a row. It's also not an easy place to recruit, as they've got some serious competition in close proximity.

yeah...but when we do it the flag comes out faster than the HUNH (when used properly). ;)

I'm glad you made this qualification to your statement!

Cole Cubelic agrees with you. He tweeted that they're definitely down this year.

Interesting. Well, he is far more qualified than I to say so; but, I didn't think my eyes were lying to me.

I think ANYTIME a team has one of the top DCs in the country, his name will naturally pop up as a candidate for one school or the other. I made this post in the recruiting thread, but news that Muschamp might get an offer to be the head coach at USCe should come as no surprise to us. I believe if he moves, he will move as a head coach, not a DC. He has a good thing going here at Auburn, and I believe what he said earlier this year that he is in it for the long haul (unless of course he gets a offer to be the head coach of a legitimate program).

Muschamp is a perfect fit at Auburn, I would be surprised if he left so soon for another program. If we had any semblance of respectable qb play (the one time i thought we did was against arkansas our wr's dropped the ball) we would have been in the mix. I don't think he'll bail on the players he has recruited & a loyal head coach but at the same time next year looks like it could be equally as tough.

Riddle me this the puppies think they are getting Smart and since Boom worked with Smart that Boom will go with Smart to UGA. Why would Boom want to step into the shadow of another Defensive coach? If he stays at Auburn there is no shadow. He will prove that he can coach defense yet again at another stop. I can understand more if Boom takes a HC position but not a lateral move to be under another Defensive coach.

Riddle me this the puppies think they are getting Smart and since Boom worked with Smart that Boom will go with Smart to UGA. Why would Boom want to step into the shadow of another Defensive coach? If he stays at Auburn there is no shadow. He will prove that he can coach defense yet again at another stop. I can understand more if Boom takes a HC position but not a lateral move to be under another Defensive coach.

I don't see that either. He can hang on here and maybe be the next coach at UGA after KS gets the boot. Despite the trouble this year, Gus is still a very bright offensive mind. Will can learn a lot from him.

If we lose Muschamp kiss that defense goodbye. Not sure if Trob would go to but you never know.Maybe we could lure Pruitt over to save this defense.

All speculation

I honestly believe we hired Lance Thompson to be CWM's DC heir apparent when CWM moved back to head coaching. I think CLT moved back to Bama in hopes of succeeding Kirby Smart when KS was being talked about as a potential NFL DC or college HC, and CLT moved on from Bama when it became obvious KS was not leaving any time soon. We needed a new defensive scheme/system, a new defensive recruiting strategy, and a defensive spark. When CWM leaves, we need to keep the system and the recruiting strategy--in other words we need a DC who will run a very similar system.

Sooo....Lance left bama because Kirby (who throws his hat in the ring for every opening and is likely leaving this year) was never gonna leave bama and he came to AU to work under WM who clearly stated multiple times he was going to be at AU for several years...all to become a DC faster? This doesn't compute.

I wish people would just get the idea of CWM leaving out of their silly heads. Has CWM been officially talking to USC or any other schools? If so, I un-silly my first sentence. Why do we even spend more than 2 seconds about him leaving? Until we have official word from official sources, lets just let this one go and focus on more serious issues at hand. All of the talk from our side creates concern from any recruit wishing to come to Auburn.

I seriously doubt at this point that CWM has had a whole lot of interest from schools. The way our defense played until the end of the season, it did not look like Boom had this defense playing much better than last season. I think until our defense makes it in the top 20, the interest in CWM will not be that much. CWM has a lot to prove just yet, and there is no better place for him to sharpen his sword than Auburn.

If I was Gus, I would seek for the SEC commissioner to look at huge rival games and make sure that the best of the best refs will be the ones to call the game. Each game should be reviewed play by play to make sure that the games are being called by a high standard and any illegal activity is recognized so that it can be corrected asap.

I know games are reviewed for any type of problem associated with bad calls by the refs. Will this happen? Maybe one day when we are all dead and gone.

Ray Tanner the USCe Athletic Director has been pretty vocal that he wants an offensive minded Head Coach. Muschamp may be offensive to some but I don't think that is what Tanner meant. Muschamp's name being thrown around is a an agents ploy to get him more money (IMO).

My personal opinion no sources, just using my logic: Multiple SEC coaches are feeding reporters to slow down recruiting momentum that Muschamp can show recruits on tape why to come to Auburn by saying he is gonna be a goner before you have a chance, gonna deal with this every year he is here.

My personal opinion no sources, just using my logic: Multiple SEC coaches are feeding reporters to slow down recruiting momentum that Muschamp can show recruits on tape why to come to Auburn by saying he is gonna be a goner before you have a chance, gonna deal with this every year he is here.

Can you translate that to English?

FWIW, I read a bit from chatsports.com via Twitter that said South Carolina and Jeremy Pruitt had mutual interest. I'm not sure how reliable that site is though.

I'm with you Homer. Holy crap I can't understand that

translation: SEC coaches negative recruiting....feeding reporters Boom info....countering Boom's pitch to recruits.

translation: SEC coaches negative recruiting....feeding reporters Boom info....countering Boom's pitch to recruits.

Summary ....SEC coaches always sewing negative thoughts into recruits minds about opposing schools and coaches. Nothing new this year...just different coaches.

Being reported that UGA has hired Smart and that Smart has targeted CWM as his DC. This is interesting. CWM went to UGA, doubt they can outpay us and CWM has a lot of power at AU now. Not sure Smart will give him this.

Being reported that UGA has hired Smart and that Smart has targeted CWM as his DC. This is interesting. CWM went to UGA, doubt they can outpay us and CWM has a lot of power at AU now. Not sure Smart will give him this.

Hmmm, take a pay cut AND get mircro managed? Seems like a good trade off.

I don't know if CWM is all that interested in being the DC in Athens. He's looking for bigger fish down the road (I hope).

Archived