that 3rd and 2

DyeCampAlum

If that throw would have been out and front....if we had receivers that were dependable... Maybe he should have went for it on 4th down.

We can go what ifs all day long. The bottom line is we left too many plays on the field, came up short too many times.

For two damn years.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bad clock management by Gus. By passing incomplete we give them enough time to drive on us after the miss fg. If we run twice and fail the clock is gone. If we run once and kick, the clock is lower. I think we would have made the first down running twice. Then we manage a couple of shots at the end zone and kick. That one is on Gus.

Probably too much attention for a small topic, but a clarification. I'm fine with the deep throw.

But if you throw deep on third down, don't kick on fourth. That's my problem. It puts too much pressure on the one (generally low percentage) throw.

The problem I have with the run on 3rd and 4th guys is even if we get the first down as you get into the red zone it gets harder and harder to run that is why we end up settling for FG's. Space is compressed DB's are close to line of scrimmage and it gets easier to stuff the run. The pass call was an excellent call and it was a relatively easy pass. The DB bit on the play action. With just a decent throw we get a TD. The first TD of the game we have the lead and some momentum. With the way Henry was gouging our D it was just a matter of time before they scored at least another FG and probably a TD. You put Bama behind and they have to throw more and we have a chance to win. We did a decent job of running the ball between the 20's but we didn't fare as well in the Redzone and Gus knew that.

Gus was trying to win the game not just keep the score close at some point to win a game like this you have to take a chance and he picked the spot where the pass was easy enough that he thought JJ could pull it off.

The problem I have with the run on 3rd and 4th guys is even if we get the first down as you get into the red zone it gets harder and harder to run that is why we end up settling for FG's. Space is compressed DB's are close to line of scrimmage and it gets easier to stuff the run. The pass call was an excellent call and it was a relatively easy pass. The DB bit on the play action. With just a decent throw we get a TD. The first TD of the game we have the lead and some momentum. With the way Henry was gouging our D it was just a matter of time before they scored at least another FG and probably a TD. You put Bama behind and they have to throw more and we have a chance to win. We did a decent job of running the ball between the 20's but we didn't fare as well in the Redzone and Gus knew that.

Gus was trying to win the game not just keep the score close at some point to win a game like this you have to take a chance and he picked the spot where the pass was easy enough that he thought JJ could pull it off.

We should replace the OP with this and lock the thread.

the drops were horrific. but the one play where JJ had a wide open field but for one defender in front of him and instead tossed a duck, I wanted to kill myself. I told my buddy at the game -- cam would have looked that defender straight in the eye, run straight at him and trucked his a** for a TD. ugggggggg.

You think we look like a 10 game team? Smh.

No, Auburn did not 'look' like a 10 game winning team. But In all Auburn's losses. but for the lsu game, a couple of individual plays could very well have resulted in victories rather than losses.

Depends on how you choose to view the season I guess. I remember the horrible JaxState game that went to overtime, and the Kentucky game where we eeked out a 3 pt win, the marathon Arky 4 OT game that could have gone either way. aTm & Idaho were the only thrashings we put on an opponent.

We should replace the OP with this and lock the thread.

+10000000000000

I don't like the call but I will say I have seen that become a trend in college football lately where you have a 3rd and short and throw deep with a low percentage pass and I do not understand it. Get the first down! I agree with some on here saying its fine if you throw deep on 3rd but then you should go for it on 4th.

Im fine with the play call. If it's a decent pass, not even a good one, it's an easy touchdown. Ricardo had two steps on the db.

No easy touchdowns with JJ and our receivers. We have to have some luck like the pass to Smith. Long odds against that play being successful.

Im fine with the play call. If it's a decent pass, not even a good one, it's an easy touchdown. Ricardo had two steps on the db.

very true, but what were the odds of that? Play the percentages.

the percentages were for us to lose unless we made some low percentage plays. It was there, he missed it.

yes, but he's missed them all year. So which is more likely? One of our RB picking up 2 yards on two downs or JJ making a 40 yards pass?

This kind of thing is what I was talking about in regards to playcalling: straying from the players and plays we have working and start calling the plays we seldom execute.

This has been his MO all season. As soon as AU starts doing something well, he goes away from it. This is the same when you look at who got PT as well. JR shows he is the man to ride and he pulls him and puts in someone that was largely ineffective. Oh, and let us not forget the quick run up the middle EVERY STINKING FREAKING TIME after getting a first down. That play will live on in my football nightmares for years. I have never seen ANYONE in division 1 college football be so predictable game after game after game. Everyone on the field, in the stands, the press boxes, watching at home on TV, and for that matter our own damn mascot eagle knows its coming!!! I would like to know the percentages of success for that play. I would be willing to bet in that situation that it gained more than 1 yard maybe 2 times out of 10 this year. It is a drive killing bonehead play that there is absolutely no excuse for running so often!

Amen. To say play selection this year has been a huge disappointment would be an understatement.

I'm sorry if I missed it in all the threads about Saturday, but was there ever a reason given as to why Jovon was absent from the 2nd half???? And I don't mean one of Gus's "we went with who we though had the hot hand" BS reasons. Was he injured? Did he do something to get in the dog house??? If the answer to both of these questions is no, then you have to question the decision not to play him. I like Gus, but I wasn't very impressed with the effort from our coaches not named Muschamp this season.

No, Auburn did not 'look' like a 10 game winning team. But In all Auburn's losses. but for the lsu game, a couple of individual plays could very well have resulted in victories rather than losses.

Did the other team not have plays in those same games that didn't go their way, but could have?

Football isn't played in a vacuum. If a few plays go the other way, we lose to Jacksonville State.

of course the other teams did not have plays that didn't go their way. But that is not the point here.

That is the point. Playing woulda coulda shoulda....we're a ten win team if SW is qb?? We should be thankful that Kentucky blew their simple plays that we were able to win that game. Did other teams not drop passes, td's and not execute plays as well???? You know what I take it back??? Yes if we could take away our bad plays and make them good we could win more games, but if the other teams could as well we'd lose as well

No reason to argue this (too hypothetical), but yes I think we're a ten win team with SW (provided he doesn't get injured). Of course that is with SW starting from Day 1 which we all know was never going to happen. For one thing we don't have 6 interceptions and crazy fumbles in the first 3 games. (Most of us might all agree on that part). But more importantly SW would be improving and gaining Gus's confidence each week so we win MSU going away. I'll stop here because you're laughing out loud. Let's move on. I'm laughing too.

I'm more so laughing at you just tried to make a win at miss st count for three wins. And yeah let's say SW starts day 1. I say we lose that game against Louisville. I will say this if SW has played since day 1 most of you would have been complaining about the wr earlier

I agree that we had to take some chances on some plays sometime in the game but that 3rd and 2 was the wrong time. Resulted in a big swing, maybe ten points, and for sure a big change in momentum at half-time. I don't know how many times Gus has gotten cute with 3rd and short in red zone this year. And I'm not sure if he was ever successful. Problem is he thinks he has 3 points in his pocket and he's happy with that. Any more is a bonus. We had the Bammers on their heels at that time with the run. No way in heck they stop JR for two yards with two runs up the gut at that time.

I'm sorry if I missed it in all the threads about Saturday, but was there ever a reason given as to why Jovon was absent from the 2nd half???? And I don't mean one of Gus's "we went with who we though had the hot hand" BS reasons. Was he injured? Did he do something to get in the dog house??? If the answer to both of these questions is no, then you have to question the decision not to play him. I like Gus, but I wasn't very impressed with the effort from our coaches not named Muschamp this season.

First, I actually think he may have gotten banged up. I can't remember the exact play, but I noticed he looked a little gimpy after getting up from one of his later carries. Second, as Gus has mentioned, he's not confident with his pass blocking, and when we started playing from more than 1 score behind, we had to pass, as scary as that is...

First, I actually think he may have gotten banged up. I can't remember the exact play, but I noticed he looked a little gimpy after getting up from one of his later carries. Second, as Gus has mentioned, he's not confident with his pass blocking, and when we started playing from more than 1 score behind, we had to pass, as scary as that is...

Last few seconds of the half, he took a huge hit and fumbled the ball...which fortunately went out of bounds. Was surprised to see him walk away from that....turned him upside down and a heavy landing. Would not be surprised that the play might have affected his readiness for the second half.

I'm more so laughing at you just tried to make a win at miss st count for three wins. And yeah let's say SW starts day 1. I say we lose that game against Louisville. I will say this if SW has played since day 1 most of you would have been complaining about the wr earlier

Only if he has to keep the 3 turnovers.

I agree that we had to take some chances on some plays sometime in the game but that 3rd and 2 was the wrong time. Resulted in a big swing, maybe ten points, and for sure a big change in momentum at half-time. I don't know how many times Gus has gotten cute with 3rd and short in red zone this year. And I'm not sure if he was ever successful. Problem is he thinks he has 3 points in his pocket and he's happy with that. Any more is a bonus. We had the Bammers on their heels at that time with the run. No way in heck they stop JR for two yards with two runs up the gut at that time.

^^^^^^^

This

So you think SW throws at least 4 picks vs UL? Trying to follow your logic here not challenging you

That 3rd and 2 play call was a good call. Louis was open for the TD and JJ underthrew it. Bama would have scored on the same play but their WR lost control of the ball after hitting the ground. The difference was that Coker dropped the ball in there and JJ was way off.

That 3rd and 2 play call was a good call. Louis was open for the TD and JJ underthrew it. Bama would have scored on the same play but their WR lost control of the ball after hitting the ground. The difference was that Coker dropped the ball in there and JJ was way off.

Bingo

Last few seconds of the half, he took a huge hit and fumbled the ball...which fortunately went out of bounds. Was surprised to see him walk away from that....turned him upside down and a heavy landing. Would not be surprised that the play might have affected his readiness for the second half.

Thank you both, Lionheart and AU64! I hope that was the reason. I just figured it knocked the wind out of him, but it was big hit.

For everyone questioning the pass on 3rd and 2, just assume we did run and got the first down. Now what? We still have no points and we are still a significant distance from acquiring said points.

For everyone questioning the pass on 3rd and 2, just assume we did run and got the first down. Now what? We still have no points and we are still a significant distance from acquiring said points.

It's all just standard fan commentary. If the execution was there, Gus would be a genius and we would have won the game. Since it wasn't the calls were all horrible. The problem is, Jeremy was hitting those passes against Idaho, so it's not like we knew he wouldn't be able to make the throw.

As for what we would have done next... keep running until the field got so short that we couldn't and then kick the field goal... or try more passes and hope Jeremy connects with one.

Archived