that 3rd and 2

DyeCampAlum

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You think we look like a 10 game team? Smh.

No, Auburn did not 'look' like a 10 game winning team. But In all Auburn's losses. but for the lsu game, a couple of individual plays could very well have resulted in victories rather than losses.

Ten wins? No

Im fine with the play call. If it's a decent pass, not even a good one, it's an easy touchdown. Ricardo had two steps on the db.

very true, but what were the odds of that? Play the percentages.

You think we look like a 10 game team? Smh.

No, Auburn did not 'look' like a 10 game winning team. But In all Auburn's losses. but for the lsu game, a couple of individual plays could very well have resulted in victories rather than losses.

Ten wins? No

'No' what, Cole? That Auburn did not look like a 10 game winner? Or 'no' Auburn could not have won 10 games this year?

Did the other team not have plays in those same games that didn't go their way, but could have?

Football isn't played in a vacuum. If a few plays go the other way, we lose to Jacksonville State.

Im fine with the play call. If it's a decent pass, not even a good one, it's an easy touchdown. Ricardo had two steps on the db.

Except even with a good pass there's a 50:50 chance Ricardo flat drops it

the percentages were for us to lose unless we made some low percentage plays. It was there, he missed it.

Except even with a good pass there's a 50:50 chance Ricardo flat drops it

So what does that mean.......a 50% chance that the QB will throw a good pass and then only a 50% chance that a good pass will be caught....so does that mean there is a 25% chance the play will be successful? Not great odds....

the percentages were for us to lose unless we made some low percentage plays. It was there, he missed it.

yes, but he's missed them all year. So which is more likely? One of our RB picking up 2 yards on two downs or JJ making a 40 yards pass?

Did the other team not have plays in those same games that didn't go their way, but could have?

Football isn't played in a vacuum. If a few plays go the other way, we lose to Jacksonville State.

of course the other teams did not have plays that didn't go their way. But that is not the point here.

yes, but he's missed them all year. So which is more likely? One of our RB picking up 2 yards on two downs or JJ making a 40 yards pass?

you are correct. We also lost all year. We needed to catch fire to win this one. Taking a shot on an obvious run situation is how you do that. You play percentages when you are a pickem or a favorite, we were huge underdogs. I think Gus knew Henry was going to wear on us. We needed to put up points.

RB making the run; you are right there. My thought was We had to have plays like that at some point to win. I'm still fine with the call. Bama is too good to beat with those plays for our team.

50/50?

J/K. I agree; the play has a low chance of being made. Call something with a better chance.

of course the other teams did not have plays that didn't go their way. But that is not the point here.

That is the point. Playing woulda coulda shoulda....we're a ten win team if SW is qb?? We should be thankful that Kentucky blew their simple plays that we were able to win that game. Did other teams not drop passes, td's and not execute plays as well???? You know what I take it back??? Yes if we could take away our bad plays and make them good we could win more games, but if the other teams could as well we'd lose as well

That is the point. Playing woulda coulda shoulda....we're a ten win team if SW is qb?? We should be thankful that Kentucky blew their simple plays that we were able to win that game. Did other teams not drop passes, td's and not execute plays as well???? You know what I take it back??? Yes if we could take away our bad plays and make them good we could win more games, but if the other teams could as well we'd lose as well

Okay. You and metafour have convinced me. Auburn sucks.

This kind of thing is what I was talking about in regards to playcalling: straying from the players and plays we have working and start calling the plays we seldom execute.

True.

I'll say this: play all time QB against any team who beat us with their guy- save LSU- and we win them all, most of them easily. Coker, Kelly, Prescott, Allen... maybe not the UGA kid lol.

This. JR hadnt gained less than 2 yrds but maybe once all night. Why the hell would you not keep running? Even if I conceeded that the pass play was to take them by surprise and score so run it, why would u kick if it doesnt work? He had gone for it on 4th and 2 earlier in that drive closer to our side of the field. It makes no sense to kick a FG there especially when that approach has not won games for us ALL SEASON!! Its the last game of the regular season against the #1 team and our BIGGEST RIVAL! There was NOTHING to lose by playing aggressive and for the win. I have no idea when exactly Gus lost his nerve and sack but he needs to get it back asap or we are in for several long years! Just my opnion....

This kind of thing is what I was talking about in regards to playcalling: straying from the players and plays we have working and start calling the plays we seldom execute.

This has been his MO all season. As soon as AU starts doing something well, he goes away from it. This is the same when you look at who got PT as well. JR shows he is the man to ride and he pulls him and puts in someone that was largely ineffective. Oh, and let us not forget the quick run up the middle EVERY STINKING FREAKING TIME after getting a first down. That play will live on in my football nightmares for years. I have never seen ANYONE in division 1 college football be so predictable game after game after game. Everyone on the field, in the stands, the press boxes, watching at home on TV, and for that matter our own damn mascot eagle knows its coming!!! I would like to know the percentages of success for that play. I would be willing to bet in that situation that it gained more than 1 yard maybe 2 times out of 10 this year. It is a drive killing bonehead play that there is absolutely no excuse for running so often!

Okay. You and metafour have convinced me. Auburn sucks.

Not what I said at all, most negative thing you EVER heard me say was we need to improve....just because I don't jump up and say we're actually a ten win team doesn't mean I think we suck

The play call was not the problem. The play was there we just didn't execute. I'm also not upset with the field goal. Carlson has been automatic and it was a battle of field goals in that first half. The under throw by JJ and the countess dropped pick 6 caused us to leave 14 points on the field.

The play call was not the problem. The play was there we just didn't execute. I'm also not upset with the field goal. Carlson has been automatic and it was a battle of field goals in that first half. The under throw by JJ and the countess dropped pick 6 caused us to leave 14 points on the field.

When you haven't executed all year, why would you expect to execute against the best team you've played all year? STUPID CALL. You had a drive going where you are running the ball and dominating Bama. You've just gone for 4th and 1 and made it. You've got two downs to pick up 3rd and 2 and continue pounding Bama and eating the clock. It's 9 - 6. At worst you go in 9 - 6. But, a very good chance to drive down and make it 9 - 9 with no time or even better yet 13 - 9 with no time and now you've got all the momentum. But nope, we rely on a QB that can't throw to make a pass to a receiver who can't catch against the best defense on our schedule? STUPID CALL and IMO realistically took us out of a chance to actually beat Bama.

Tired of "praying" for big pass plays.

This. JR hadnt gained less than 2 yrds but maybe once all night. Why the hell would you not keep running? Even if I conceeded that the pass play was to take them by surprise and score so run it, why would u kick if it doesnt work? He had gone for it on 4th and 2 earlier in that drive closer to our side of the field. It makes no sense to kick a FG there especially when that approach has not won games for us ALL SEASON!! Its the last game of the regular season against the #1 team and our BIGGEST RIVAL! There was NOTHING to lose by playing aggressive and for the win. I have no idea when exactly Gus lost his nerve and sack but he needs to get it back asap or we are in for several long years! Just my opnion....

Yes, anyone associated with that 3rd and 2 call should be fired. We ran thru them all the way down the field. We had been successful running the ball. We have a below avg QB and below avg WR's...anyone with a brain hands the ball off twice, if need be, to JR or PB. As for those saying it was not a bad call; just bad execution....that is complete BS...it is a bad call precisely because anyone with a brain should know we have a below avg QB and below avg WR's and CANNOT execute. That is the nature of coaching...don't try to do things you can't do...execute what you can execute. If Gus called this then he is a complete idiot. It Lashlee, he should be gone today already. Gus pulls this crap all the time...we need an adult calling plays...

With an avg SEC QB; we win 9 games easily. Instead we are headed the wrong direction fast...and frankly, I can't see what bowl practice will do for this offense...the D will continue to improve...this offense will not get any better in the next 30 days. There will have to be some personnel changes for this to get better....on the field and in the pressbox.

Here's my problem with the 3rd & 2 series, not just the play call. Earlier in the series we declined a 5 yd offside penalty on 3rd down. We were looking at 4th &1 versus repeating 3rd down for 3rd & 3. Granted we converted 4th down, but what in names sake would make you do that? If you've already made up your mind to go for it, why not give yourself 2 tries from 3 yds instead of one attempt from 1 yard?

On to the 3rd & 2 call. Same drive. You've gone for it once and everyone in the stadium and at home knows we'll need more than 3 points to win the game. If you're gonna gamble and throw it deep on 3rd down, why not go for it on 4th? 48 Yd FG's aren't automatic. That's my issue with the call.

Archived