Staff Changes

fredst

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DC turnover is not a problem. We had a lot of it in the Tubberville years. What matters is defensive system turnover. We need consistency in defensive systems, schemes, philosophies, and recruiting.

If you think about it, there really are two parts to the defense: The front and the secondary. We need consistency in both. Minor changes can be accepted. Where we are now with CWM's hybrid 4-3/3-4 means our front could go with a 3-4 or 4-3 system (but we are more geared towards a 3-4 right now with an NT and the Buck), but we need consistency in the secondary.

Most DC's coach a position. T-Rob could be DC and coach all or a portion of the secondary.

I used to say CLT would be the logical successor to CWM, because CLT has a lot of experience and has been a DC in the past. However, I think T-Rob being closer to CWM would be more aligned to CWM's philosophy.

It's hard to find a Kirby Smart who is willing to stick with a coach for years especially if the HC is not having great success...most of these coordinators want to be head coaches so it's difficult to expect stability

Actually, it is hard to find a coordinator who sticks with a coach for years when the HC is successful, because success breeds success. Saban has lost many assistants through the years. Tubberville's DC office had a revolving door. The fact it took this long for KS to take a HC job is a bit of a surprise.

When T-Rob came back to Auburn with Muschamp, in the back of my mind, I thought that maybe he was told that since Muschamp was not going to be here over 2-3 years, he would be his successor as the DC. Just my 2 cents worth.

as noted on Monday, now on al.com

This may be the worse I've told you so ever

I take it that you are not surprised? I'm wondering why anyone might be surprised.....this was almost a certainty IMO. Hiring a former HC.....generally not a good plan though I guess it has worked for NS

If WM does leave, is there any chance luring Bud Foster from VT?

Probably not.... but it sure would be nice to have a "professional DC"....not someone looking to use a few good years as the next step up the ladder to a HC job. That could be what we would have with T-Rob...another short timer..

Guys like Foster are in the DC job for the long haul....and he likely stays at VT.

DC turnover is not a problem. We had a lot of it in the Tubberville years. What matters is defensive system turnover. We need consistency in defensive systems, schemes, philosophies, and recruiting.

If you think about it, there really are two parts to the defense: The front and the secondary. We need consistency in both. Minor changes can be accepted. Where we are now with CWM's hybrid 4-3/3-4 means our front could go with a 3-4 or 4-3 system (but we are more geared towards a 3-4 right now with an NT and the Buck), but we need consistency in the secondary.

Most DC's coach a position. T-Rob could be DC and coach all or a portion of the secondary.

I used to say CLT would be the logical successor to CWM, because CLT has a lot of experience and has been a DC in the past. However, I think T-Rob being closer to CWM would be more aligned to CWM's philosophy.

Good post.

I'd imagine Gus realizes Boom probably won't be here very long and already has a plan in place. Boom leaving should certainly not catch anyone off guard.

you sure give the man a lot of credit...not trying to be smart but after two years gus couldn't figure out we did not have a QB, I doubt very seriously he has been working a plan B DC.

Gus has a plan? Are you serious? He hasn't shown the ability to plan a decent hop scotch match. When it comes to money WM is smart and has a good agent. Why would WM want to stay where the ship is not only sinking but the best players are leaving? Many of the best defensive players are leaving or graduating and the offense was the joke of the west. Why would he stay? If he goes to bama he will be coaching with the best head coach in the game and inherit a defense that is top shelf. If he goes to uga he will be back where he played. At SC he would be a head coach again. He already has all the money from AU. AU is much more likely to bust again next year than compete in the SEC or nationally. How many great opportunities do you expect will be open in the next 3 years? bama? Michigan? LSU? UGA? TN? Ohio ST? There are several plum jobs and he can pick the one that he wants and pick up another 10 million. Some of you are drinking too much Kool-Aid.

#hireTRob

T-Rob is 34. Muschamp was 31 when he got he first DC position at LSU. Defense remains consistent. T-Rob has a lot of energy and is a great recruiter.

it's a little different because WM had a defensive minded boss to lean on. Trob would be on his own.

What ever happened to Travis Williams btw?

If defensive minds like Durkin (and possibly Boom) want TRob as their DC, what makes anyone here hesitate?

Perhaps because it's really their defense and they need someone familiar to somewhat oversee it- similar to Gus and Rhett?

Gus has a plan? Are you serious? He hasn't shown the ability to plan a decent hop scotch match. When it comes to money WM is smart and has a good agent. Why would WM want to stay where the ship is not only sinking but the best players are leaving? Many of the best defensive players are leaving or graduating and the offense was the joke of the west. Why would he stay? If he goes to bama he will be coaching with the best head coach in the game and inherit a defense that is top shelf. If he goes to uga he will be back where he played. At SC he would be a head coach again. He already has all the money from AU. AU is much more likely to bust again next year than compete in the SEC or nationally. How many great opportunities do you expect will be open in the next 3 years? bama? Michigan? LSU? UGA? TN? Ohio ST? There are several plum jobs and he can pick the one that he wants and pick up another 10 million. Some of you are drinking too much Kool-Aid.

Mainly because it's us getting the shaft. Kool-Aid tastes great over reality.

If defensive minds like Durkin (and possibly Boom) want TRob as their DC, what makes anyone here hesitate?

Perhaps because it's really their defense and they need someone familiar to somewhat oversee it- similar to Gus and Rhett?

I believe you are correct. Also it would be best for Trob's career to start under a defensive HC that will have insight and be of great value to him.

If I were CGM, I would lock down T-Rob while Muschamp is in SC tomorrow and just ask for his office keys when he gets back to Lee County tomorrow night.

Right after he gets confirmation that he's not coming back. Then do it.

Archived