Staff Changes

fredst

If the position becomes available, Herb Hand would be a very good fit. I know he is well respected as offensive line coach and was co-offensive coordinator at Tulsa with Gus. I think he has running game responsibilities with Franklin at Penn State. He has been with Franklin for a while now at two schools. I recall Gus tried to get him to come to AU when he was hired as HC.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We know Horton put his name in the hat for a HC job. Anyone know how seriously they're considering him? Any other possibilities for him?

Pretty sure he's actively pursuing a small HC job.

He did not get the job.

Lashlee has had 3 years as Auburn's OC/QB coach. 2014 was bad, but 2015 got even worse. Why the heck would we still want to keep him on the staff?

Lashlee has had 3 years as Auburn's OC/QB coach. 2014 was bad, but 2015 got even worse. Why the heck would we still want to keep him on the staff?

Why do we always seem to want to fire someone at the first sign of trouble? I'm sorry, I just don't buy that he's terrible. I just don't. Last year the O put plenty of points on the board to win games. The defense didn't help last year at all. This year, there has been a myriad of things go wrong on the O side. The first and main issue was JJs total collapse. Then add Duke and his crap. JRs stuff early in the season. Rocs injury bug. Stone hand WRs. Injuries abound. I mean for petes sake. There have been some miscues and questionable play calling sure, but I'm thinking all that had more to do with the aforementioned issues throwing a monkey wrench in the staffs plans.

Why do we always seem to want to fire someone at the first sign of trouble? I'm sorry, I just don't buy that he's terrible. I just don't. Last year the O put plenty of points on the board to win games. The defense didn't help last year at all. This year, there has been a myriad of things go wrong on the O side. The first and main issue was JJs total collapse. Then add Duke and his crap. JRs stuff early in the season. Rocs injury bug. Stone hand WRs. Injuries abound. I mean for petes sake. There have been some miscues and questionable play calling sure, but I'm thinking all that had more to do with the aforementioned issues throwing a monkey wrench in the staffs plans.

ok, this has kinda been my point. When a lacking qb limits your playbook, playcalls have no margin for error.

We averaged 35.5 ppg last season and 485 yds. All of that with the 2nd toughest schedule in CFB. You think you do that because your coaches can't coach? GTFOH.

And....staff changes? Lol. Nobody needs replacing. Garner? Really? I saw marked improvement to the D as a whole. It will get better, but continuity is needed.

Who's job is it to make sure the QB doesn't have a mental breakdown after redshirting and being in the system 2 years and display any type of improvement? Who's job is it to call plays to get into the endzone instead of kicking fieldgoals? Who's job is it to keep us from droping from 30+ points a game to 20+? WR drop balls, people get injured, its what you do to keep things running and not completely fall on your butt when you're projected to get to the playoff and win the SEC. Lash is dead weight period. I'm not sold on D.C being a WR coach. and i really dont care what happens to Garner.

Who's job is it to make sure the QB doesn't have a mental breakdown after redshirting and being in the system 2 years and display any type of improvement? Who's job is it to call plays to get into the endzone instead of kicking fieldgoals? Who's job is it to keep us from droping from 30+ points a game to 20+? WR drop balls, people get injured, its what you do to keep things running and not completely fall on your butt when you're projected to get to the playoff and win the SEC. Lash is dead weight period. I'm not sold on D.C being a WR coach. and i really dont care what happens to Garner.

Thank you! So tired of people excusing the coaches for things of which they are SUPPOSED to be in charge!

The way some of you treat coaches AU better steamroll everybody or at the very least there will be a new coach every season.....we all saw JJ come in off the bench last season and tear it up. I can imagine he did it in practice as well, Gus and Rhett were unaware when the lights came on and JJ became the man he would crap his pants. When they saw he was uncap able they tried to modify the offense to cover up his glaring mental weaknesses.....

I love Gus. He is indeed a great guy. He loves Auburn and that s important to me. And yes 1 more year is reasonable. Next yrs team is all him. Gus has a system and without an above average athlete at QB the system doesn't work. I do not believe we have that athlete on the team right now. I WANT IT TO WORK! Its insanely fun football to watch!

Can he recruit or develop his style QB year in and year out? A yearly contender for a national title is what Auburn deserves.

The way some of you treat coaches AU better steamroll everybody or at the very least there will be a new coach every season.....we all saw JJ come in off the bench last season and tear it up. I can imagine he did it in practice as well, Gus and Rhett were unaware when the lights came on and JJ became the man he would crap his pants. When they saw he was uncap able they tried to modify the offense to cover up his glaring mental weaknesses.....

NOBODY is expecting or asking Auburn to streamroll anybody. Just execute your offense/defense the way you have proven you can and most people will accept that, win or lose

Good post. Some fans (especially of forums) really like the Finebaum mentality. Solve a problem by firing someone. If not the AD, then the HC, the OC or DC. Somebody has to go. Blood has to flow. I think problems can be solved sometimes without playing the carousel game or musical chairs.

leglessdan, Did you watch how the offense played this year? Either Lashlee needs to go or Malzahn needs to go. Take your pick.

You might need to step away from the keyboard for a bit. You are sounding even more clueless than you normally do.

"By Saturday night, Malzahn is probably going to be 1-2 against Alabama. Tommy Tuberville had the same Iron Bowl record after his third year on the Plains after an embarrassing 31-7 loss to Dennis Franchione's first Alabama team. All Tuberville did was win the next six Iron Bowls."

http://www.al.com/au...art_river_index

ETA quotation marks

By Saturday night, Malzahn is probably going to be 1-2 against Alabama. Tommy Tuberville had the same Iron Bowl record after his third year on the Plains after an embarrassing 31-7 loss to Dennis Franchione's first Alabama team. All Tuberville did was win the next six Iron Bowls.

Did you sleep through the Iron Bowl last weekend?

By Saturday night, Malzahn is probably going to be 1-2 against Alabama. Tommy Tuberville had the same Iron Bowl record after his third year on the Plains after an embarrassing 31-7 loss to Dennis Franchione's first Alabama team. All Tuberville did was win the next six Iron Bowls.

That was a quote from the article they linked.

Staff changes not required. A solid recruiting effort, a solid prepared QB, new and hungry receivers and fairly decent luck with injuries and we should be ready to go.

Ahhhhh... Quotation marks are our friends :)

I think it often starts with a general lack of knowledge that escalates with the snowball effect, and it is then combined with frustration and impatience. In this particular case, I'd throw in a dash of no one expected the offense to ever sputter with Gus as head coach. After you've baked that at 400 for 60 minutes, you end up with logic dictating that because Auburn was "predicted" to win the SEC with a preseason top 10 ranking, and failed to do so for whatever reason(s), people must be fired.

Thank you Brain.

I was, indeed, sloppy with the punctuation.

Archived