Staff Changes

fredst

Lashlee has had 3 years as Auburn's OC/QB coach. 2014 was bad, but 2015 got even worse. Why the heck would we still want to keep him on the staff?

Why do we always seem to want to fire someone at the first sign of trouble? I'm sorry, I just don't buy that he's terrible. I just don't. Last year the O put plenty of points on the board to win games. The defense didn't help last year at all. This year, there has been a myriad of things go wrong on the O side. The first and main issue was JJs total collapse. Then add Duke and his crap. JRs stuff early in the season. Rocs injury bug. Stone hand WRs. Injuries abound. I mean for petes sake. There have been some miscues and questionable play calling sure, but I'm thinking all that had more to do with the aforementioned issues throwing a monkey wrench in the staffs plans.

By Saturday night, Malzahn is probably going to be 1-2 against Alabama. Tommy Tuberville had the same Iron Bowl record after his third year on the Plains after an embarrassing 31-7 loss to Dennis Franchione's first Alabama team. All Tuberville did was win the next six Iron Bowls.

http://www.al.com/au...art_river_index

Did you sleep through the Iron Bowl last weekend?

That was a quote from the article they linked.

Ahhhhh... Quotation marks are our friends :)

Yessir

I'll work on it

Apologies

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By Saturday night, Malzahn is probably going to be 1-2 against Alabama. Tommy Tuberville had the same Iron Bowl record after his third year on the Plains after an embarrassing 31-7 loss to Dennis Franchione's first Alabama team. All Tuberville did was win the next six Iron Bowls.

Yessir

I'll work on it

Apologies

No worries. I'm the one that came off looking like an a**, not you.

You want to know the biggest reason that Alabama's defense has been so good for so long? It's the same reason why they can bring in so many good recruits and the same reason why teams like the New England Patriots and the Oregon Ducks have done so well for so long (yes, I know that Oregon didn't do as well this year), and the answer is 1 word:

Consistency.

Consistency in the coaching staff, the scheme, the mentality, the recruiting/drafting process, consistency throughout the program.

You want consistency? That means that you don't fire a coach after 1 bad year. That means that you recognize that there was a bad situation, make sure that they have a plan to fix the problem, but you don't go on a firing spree. That's a great way to cause turmoil in a program and get in a financial hole.

IMO if we don't see improvement next year in our offense, then lets start to look at some different options, but until then let's see what shifting around we can do and what adjustments we can make before just blindly firing people on the coaching staff.

You want to know the biggest reason that Alabama's defense has been so good for so long? It's the same reason why they can bring in so many good recruits and the same reason why teams like the New England Patriots and the Oregon Ducks have done so well for so long (yes, I know that Oregon didn't do as well this year), and the answer is 1 word:

Consistency.

Consistency in the coaching staff, the scheme, the mentality, the recruiting/drafting process, consistency throughout the program.

You want consistency? That means that you don't fire a coach after 1 bad year. That means that you recognize that there was a bad situation, make sure that they have a plan to fix the problem, but you don't go on a firing spree. That's a great way to cause turmoil in a program and get in a financial hole.

IMO if we don't see improvement next year in our offense, then lets start to look at some different options, but until then let's see what shifting around we can do and what adjustments we can make before just blindly firing people on the coaching staff.

Awwww man... I was totally thinking you were going to say "money".

Lashlee has had 3 years as Auburn's OC/QB coach. 2014 was bad, but 2015 got even worse. Why the heck would we still want to keep him on the staff?

Why do we always seem to want to fire someone at the first sign of trouble? I'm sorry, I just don't buy that he's terrible. I just don't. Last year the O put plenty of points on the board to win games. The defense didn't help last year at all. This year, there has been a myriad of things go wrong on the O side. The first and main issue was JJs total collapse. Then add Duke and his crap. JRs stuff early in the season. Rocs injury bug. Stone hand WRs. Injuries abound. I mean for petes sake. There have been some miscues and questionable play calling sure, but I'm thinking all that had more to do with the aforementioned issues throwing a monkey wrench in the staffs plans.

Good post. Some fans (especially of forums) really like the Finebaum mentality. Solve a problem by firing someone. If not the AD, then the HC, the OC or DC. Somebody has to go. Blood has to flow. I think problems can be solved sometimes without playing the carousel game or musical chairs.

Hell, IMO that's been our problem all along. No consistency in coaching staffs. And frankly I'm personally tired of playing musical chairs and putting coaches on the chopping block every 3 yrs. We'll keep the roller coaster alive. I just refuse to believe that they've lost the ability to coach. It's called objectively looking at conditions throughout the season to see why the season turned out like it did.

Consistency.

Well said, I concur.

Yessir

I'll work on it

Apologies

Your "assumption" was all my fault.

I've edited my original.

Again,

apologies.

(Disclaimer: I'm one of those Alabama fans that roots for Auburn unless they're playing Alabama & actually likes seeing Auburn do well overall)

From my outsider vantage point, it seems like Gus would be well served to transition into a CEO-type role and let his OC run his own system (whoever that may be). I watch AU from a distance so I can't say whether Lashlee needs to stay or go, but it seems that the offense needs more variety. Variety keeps you from being locked into a certain scheme and keeps other teams from being able to scheme against the system (my A&M Bulldogs are going through similar, yet different situations).

A production mananger cant manage the production if he's constantly on the assembly line.

We didn't hire Gus to be a CEO. We hired Gus because he's an offensive genius. One bad year because of a total disruption at QB doesn't change that.

I think it often starts with a general lack of knowledge that escalates with the snowball effect, and it is then combined with frustration and impatience. In this particular case, I'd throw in a dash of no one expected the offense to ever sputter with Gus as head coach. After you've baked that at 400 for 60 minutes, you end up with logic dictating that because Auburn was "predicted" to win the SEC with a preseason top 10 ranking, and failed to do so for whatever reason(s), people must be fired.

These guys get paid LOTS of money to WIN. Because they can make a lot of money and a good rep for the school by winning or they can leave a lot of money on the field and project the impression of "loser" on the school by losing. 1 bad yr hurts recruiting, and that hurts the team in the future and that hurts recruiting thus creating a cycle. Gus may not fire anyone now, strategizing that next year he can fire them to save face and buy 1 more year. I'm hoping that there is pressure from above to force him to do the blood letting now and create a sense of urgency on the plains. 66% is NOT gonna cut it at AU.

12-2 < we all wanted to say "these were Gus's guys"

8-5

6-6

?-?< These are almost ALL Gus's guys.

The last thing we need is "pressure from above". That's nothing but interference with a guy doing his job. If they don't like the job Gus is doing, fire him but there is nothing worse than handcuffing a person in charge by trying to dictate which assistants he hires. Interference from above is a recipe for total disaster.

Your "assumption" was all my fault.

I've edited my original.

Again,

apologies.

You know what they say about assuming... I should do my due diligence before spouting off. All good. War Eagle.

I think it often starts with a general lack of knowledge that escalates with the snowball effect, and it is then combined with frustration and impatience. In this particular case, I'd throw in a dash of no one expected the offense to ever sputter with Gus as head coach. After you've baked that at 400 for 60 minutes, you end up with logic dictating that because Auburn was "predicted" to win the SEC with a preseason top 10 ranking, and failed to do so for whatever reason(s), people must be fired.

These guys get paid LOTS of money to WIN. Because they can make a lot of money and a good rep for the school by winning or they can leave a lot of money on the field and project the impression of "loser" on the school by losing. 1 bad yr hurts recruiting, and that hurts the team in the future and that hurts recruiting thus creating a cycle. Gus may not fire anyone now, strategizing that next year he can fire them to save face and buy 1 more year. I'm hoping that there is pressure from above to force him to do the blood letting now and create a sense of urgency on the plains. 66% is NOT gonna cut it at AU.

12-2 < we all wanted to say "these were Gus's guys"

8-5

6-6

?-?< These are almost ALL Gus's guys.

Having "Gus's guys" is one thing, but having consistency and talented depth all over your two-deep is another. Look at LSU and Alabama (two of the most consistent teams in the conference), they've got 3-5* developed talent all over their two-deep and the system in place to recruit and develop more. Consistent top-10 recruiting at Auburn started with Chizik, but he was gone after year 4. Now we're heading into year 4 with his successor. A team that doesn't have that kind of depth has ups and downs, whereas a team that does has more double-digit win seasons than not. We ultimately know nothing of who Gus really wanted to recruit prior to 2013, as he wasn't the man with the final decision.

Saban inherited good recruiting and the full Bama hype machine waiting to happen; he has continued to sustain that. Gus inherited 5-7 and chaos to 14-0 to 3-9 and chaos, with 8-5's in between. More staff turnover to appease the masses isn't the answer here. Recruits develop relationships with their recruiters. They look for somewhere that is a solid pipeline to the NFL, and they look for somewhere where they can get or earn playing time. They want to be developed and have their play showcased, as the NFL doesn't care what the team record was; they're not drafting the team. The win/loss record doesn't get more recruits, consistency in recruiting and development gets a better win/loss record.

That said, next year is an important one for Gus' future. With another 6-6 or worse year, I doubt anything any of us have to say will matter. I'm disappointed in the final record, but I also watched the defense improve and the rest of team fight through it.

I am not convinced Horton or Grimes were part of any offense issues this year. Personally, Coach Craig should be QB coach, and get a proven WR coach. Lashlee needs a lower level HC job to get on his own track.

If Horton gots a HC job, and / or Grimes retires we should fill with best available that fits scheme, good recruiter. I know that is obvious, but I am not aware of who we would target.

Rhett isn't going to get any offers after this season. What Gus decides to do I have no idea. He can't let personal loyalties get in the way or he'll be looking for a new job too.

Agree. This is what concerns me about Gus. Their relationship has very strong ties.

My thoughts:

1. Need an off field coach that can help QB's breakdown film study and adjust quickly, unless the case is that we don't recruit QB's capable of going through reads. During practice force qb to take the best option between shakedowns instead of taking the first read.

2. For WR, number one priority if you can catch a ball you get to play, not how great of a blocker you are as the number 1 factor for playing time. A top flight WR that doesn't block well causes more problems for the defense and opens up other holes in the running game.

3. Expand the routes that the receivers run, we are all arm chair QB's and we know what we are doing on almost every play...We have a power running game yet we never exploit the middle of the field, just seems odd to me.

4. I have been told by many that i am an idiot, so if ya disagree i get it.

Rather than resorting to a bunch of dramatic firings, why not consider flipping responsibility for QBs to Craig and WRs to Lashlee? Would this hurt our WR recruiting? It seems like most have agreed DC has a more proven record with QB development/recruiting.

Rather than resorting to a bunch of dramatic firings, why not consider flipping responsibility for QBs to Craig and WRs to Lashlee? Would this hurt our WR recruiting? It seems like most have agreed DC has a more proven record with QB development/recruiting.

Does Lashlee know anything about coaching Receivers? We don't even know if he can develop a QB. Sounds like healing a gunshot wound with a band-aid. Be better off promoting DC and bringing Kodi burns back.

My thoughts:

1. Need an off field coach that can help QB's breakdown film study and adjust quickly, unless the case is that we don't recruit QB's capable of going through reads. During practice force qb to take the best option between shakedowns instead of taking the first read.

2. For WR, number one priority if you can catch a ball you get to play, not how great of a blocker you are as the number 1 factor for playing time. A top flight WR that doesn't block well causes more problems for the defense and opens up other holes in the running game.

3. Expand the routes that the receivers run, we are all arm chair QB's and we know what we are doing on almost every play...We have a power running game yet we never exploit the middle of the field, just seems odd to me.

In response:

(1). We already have Bentley as the off field coach working with qbs

(2)check out recruiting--some big time talent comitted at WR

(3)JJ threw INTS more than completions in the middle of the field, SW started to open up the middle before he got hurt. NM wasn't a top level accurate passer to be able to hit the middle of field (which is why he wasn't even given a shot at QB in the pros) and his athletic ability made it not as necessary to force that issue.

(4) well, you said it ;D. J/k

Does Lashlee know anything about coaching Receivers? We don't even know if he can develop a QB. Sounds like healing a gunshot wound with a band-aid. Be better off promoting DC and bringing Kodi burns back.

I bet he'd give DC a run for his money. WR has been the worst position of improvement on the team over a 3 year span. Of course that doesn't mean I think Lashlee would actually be better at it, but who knows.

My thoughts:

In response:

(3)JJ threw INTS more than completions in the middle of the field, SW started to open up the middle before he got hurt. NM wasn't a top level accurate passer to be able to hit the middle of field (which is why he wasn't even given a shot at QB in the pros) and his athletic ability made it not as necessary to force that issue.

(4) well, you said it ;D/>. J/k

You should go back and look where the ints's were thrown, most weren't middle of the field. Also look at where a majority of SW targets were most weren't middle of the field. And I remember nm missing deep passes more than anything. It was more about him throwing with touch than anything. Gus's offense, at least here isn't big with intermediate routes, cam didn't make too many of them either

My thoughts:

In response:

(4) well, you said it ;D/>. J/k

You should go back and look where the ints's were thrown, most weren't middle of the field. Also look at where a majority of SW targets were most weren't middle of the field. And I remember nm missing deep passes more than anything. It was more about him throwing with touch than anything. Gus's offense, at least here isn't big with intermediate routes, cam didn't make too many of them either

I remember several decently thrown deep passes that Coates alligator armed or gave up on. I don't really disagree with the rest...I just think his deep passes were pretty good overall.

2010 Rhett was on staf as a GA worked with receivers. I think more specifically inside receivers.

2010 Rhett was on staf as a GA worked with receivers. I think more specifically inside receivers.

I thought the GA working with the receivers in 2010 was Casey Woods.

wde

I thought the GA working with the receivers in 2010 was Casey Woods.

wde

maybe both but i know that is where Rhett was.

Archived