Staff Changes

fredst

Charles Kelly FSU defensive coordinator Biographical details Alma mater Auburn Playing career 1986-1989 Auburn Position(s) Defensive Back Coaching career (HC unless noted) 1990-1992 Central (AL) HS (Assistant) 1993 Auburn (Assistant) 1994 Jacksonville State (RB) 1995 Jacksonville State (DB) 1996 Jacksonville State (OC) 1997-1998 Jacksonville State (DC) 1999 Henderson State (DC) 2000-2001 Eufaula (AL) HS (DC/LB) 2002-2003 Nicholls State (DB) 2004-2005 Nicholls State (DC) 2006-2007 Georgia Tech (ST) 2008-2009 Georgia Tech (CB) 2010-2012 Georgia Tech (DB) 2012 Georgia Tech (Interim DC) 2013 Florida State (ST/LB) 2014–Present Florida State (DC)

220px-Charles_Kelly_%28American_football%29_2014.jpg

Home town Ozark, Al.

I'm sure he would love to get back to Auburn. Now is not the time. He is in a very stable situation at FSU. Jimbo's personal situation will keep him at FSU as long as they will have him. Kelley is very stable where he is. Unfortunately, the situation at Auburn is not very stable right now.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems that coaches recruited and players recruited is pure serendipity, I am impressed with the pure randomness of it all. Like Cam Newton coming to Auburn, unpredictable. At least, its not boring, but I am hoping for some stability in the coaching ranks, I think it helps recruiting if the recruits know who their coaches will be at Auburn.

Lashlee has had 3 years as Auburn's OC/QB coach. 2014 was bad, but 2015 got even worse. Why the heck would we still want to keep him on the staff?

The flip side of that is that they have both been here 3 years and two of those the offense was extremely successful. You always beat the same drum. You want someone on the bench that you've never seen play a down of football to be the starter at every position. When that person comes in, you want the next person, that's never played a down, on the field. Now you want to replace coaches because you think they suddenly forgot how to coach? Well, they had definitely forgotten more about football than you will ever know, but they also still know 1000% more about football than you will ever know. It's always about replacing a player or firing a coach with you. Please learn at least a little bit about the game.

We should have offered him HC in waiting. Maybe he doesn't get stuck with a big buyout and we can bring him back after next year. Gus is dead man walking.

What in hades has Muschamp done for anyone to offer him a HC in waiting job?

We should have offered him HC in waiting. Maybe he doesn't get stuck with a big buyout and we can bring him back after next year. Gus is dead man walking.

Panic mode....groping for solutions....check your common sense at the door......

HCIW is a lousy idea. Any AD that offered that to any assistant coach should be fired. Never lock yourself into that. You never know who might be available for you. As a coach I wouldn't want it. I'd like to be free to pursue any and all options out there.

Step away from the ledge. Boom is interviewing for the USCe job but is unlikely to be offered said job. No one can blame him for going after another HC job. Despite what Scabs and the Bammerham media may be saying, unless the unexpected happens and he is offered the job, he will very likely be staying at Auburn. He has been on the road recruiting, not meeting with Kirby, Nick, etc., etc., etc. TRob loves Auburn and is not going anywhere. If Boom were to get the SC job he is very likely to become DC for us. If not he will remain secondary coach ontil Boom does get a another HC job.

Lashlee has had 3 years as Auburn's OC/QB coach. 2014 was bad, but 2015 got even worse. Why the heck would we still want to keep him on the staff?

The flip side of that is that they have both been here 3 years and two of those the offense was extremely successful. You always beat the same drum. You want someone on the bench that you've never seen play a down of football to be the starter at every position. When that person comes in, you want the next person, that's never played a down, on the field. Now you want to replace coaches because you think they suddenly forgot how to coach? Well, they had definitely forgotten more about football than you will ever know, but they also still know 1000% more about football than you will ever know. It's always about replacing a player or firing a coach with you. Please learn at least a little bit about the game.

auburn finished 2014 16th in total offense 490/game

auburn finished 2013 11th in total offense 501/game

Statistically 2013 and 2014 are effectively the same, as for this year Red Zone killed us however we only attempted 2 extra FGs in 2015 over 2014. We changed enough this year to have a down year at this point see WT's response

auburn is sitting for 2015 97th in total offense at 367/game

I'm coming around more and more to promoting T-Rob to DC. I realize Maryland isn't a top tier school in football, but DJ Durkin knows his stuff. If he's willing to hire T-Rob for DC on his first head coaching gig, I don't know why we shouldn't give him that shot here. Rumor is that if Muschamp does get the SCe job, he'll try to bring T-Rob as his DC as well.

I realize Gus isn't a defensive-minded head coach, but I still think it may be worth a shot. And it's someone we can probably hang on to for several years. If Muschamp leaves (particularly if he leaves for a DC position), it may be hard to pull at proven DC here anyway.

Several people in here have argued that lack of talent at quarterback is our problem. Those of you in that camp, think about the following:

1. Who teaches the quarterbacks?... Lashlee

2. Who recruits and scouts quarterbacks? Members of the coaching staff.

3. Who has the job of doing whatever necessary in play calling to make a quarterback efficient? Lashlee

4. Malzahn and lashlee were convinced that JJ was going to be the next big thing at quarterback. Gus said similar things about Frazier after he left for ASU.

5. We pretty clearly had issues at wr as well, and our defense was inconsistent especially early in the year.

Basically, there is a disconnect somewhere. We are bringing in high rated recruiting classes every year, and there is no way that all of those recruits are busts by luck alone. Either our coaches are awful at scouting, awful at developing, awful at teaching players to execute, or some combination of those. That's why coaching changes are needed. We need to address whatever is lacking in this team.

Several people in here have argued that lack of talent at quarterback is our problem. Those of you in that camp, think about the following:

3. Who has the job of doing whatever necessary in play calling to make a quarterback efficient? Lashlee

4. Malzahn and lashlee were convinced that JJ was going to be the next big thing at quarterback. Gus said similar things about Frazier after he left for ASU.

5. We pretty clearly had issues at wr as well, and our defense was inconsistent especially early in the year.

Basically, there is a disconnect somewhere. We are bringing in high rated recruiting classes every year, and there is no way that all of those recruits are busts by luck alone. Either our coaches are awful at scouting, awful at developing, awful at teaching players to execute, or some combination of those. That's why coaching changes are needed. We need to address whatever is lacking in this team.

Don't know about your conclusions...but to remove at least one of the variables.....recruiting. AU is recruiting the same guys being recruited by our major competition and getting kids who are highly rated by other coaches and the sacred rating services who are rarely wrong ....according to some.

My point being: pretty much all the top schools in the SEC start about the same place as far as talent is concerned...though some have higher attrition....which seems to include us perhaps?

So....and this is JMO, the actual results depend on what happens after the guys get here.

JJ and AJ shared about the same # of reps their first seasons.

Jeremy Johnson stats:

Passer rating: 2013- 195.7; 2014- 201.4; 2015- 126.4

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/jeremy-johnson-5.html

A.J. McCarron stats:

Passer rating: 2010- 151.2; 2011- 147.3; 2012- 175.3; 2013- 167.2

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/aj-mccarron-1.html

Cam Newton stats:

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/cam-newton-1.html

So....and this is JMO, the actual results depend on what happens after the guys get here.

"There are enough players out there for everybody. What you do with 'em after you get 'em is more important than who you get". Pat Dye, circa 1990. So '64 is in accordance with Dye.

However, there's no denying that a player like Lawson, for example, makes a huge difference.

I'm coming around more and more to promoting T-Rob to DC. I realize Maryland isn't a top tier school in football, but DJ Durkin knows his stuff. If he's willing to hire T-Rob for DC on his first head coaching gig, I don't know why we shouldn't give him that shot here. Rumor is that if Muschamp does get the SCe job, he'll try to bring T-Rob as his DC as well.

I realize Gus isn't a defensive-minded head coach, but I still think it may be worth a shot. And it's someone we can probably hang on to for several years. If Muschamp leaves (particularly if he leaves for a DC position), it may be hard to pull at proven DC here anyway.

I agree with all of this.

wde

"There are enough players out there for everybody. What you do with 'em after you get 'em is more important than who you get". Pat Dye, circa 1990. So '64 is in accordance with Dye.

However, there's no denying that a player like Lawson, for example, makes a huge difference.

Something everyone needs to keep in mind when quoting coach Dye is that he coached in a different era when one team would occasionally have a superstar (see Bo Jackson). Now you get teams with 3 and 4 freak athletes at a time on them, and if you don't have at least one, you're already behind the 8-ball. The true test of a brilliant coach is if he can see real potential before it manifests.

Something everyone needs to keep in mind when quoting coach Dye is that he coached in a different era when one team would occasionally have a superstar (see Bo Jackson). Now you get teams with 3 and 4 freak athletes at a time on them, and if you don't have at least one, you're already behind the 8-ball. The true test of a brilliant coach is if he can see real potential before it manifests.

You are right about needing a few superstars but considering we have signed the Mr Alabama for the last 4 years and a handful of other 5* kids...there has been no lack of "special players" at AU....the fact that some/many have not lived up to those 5* ratings ? ....now that's a different story.

Agreed.

Agreed.

Anyone know whether Gus is considering it? I definitely think he should be, if Boom ends up elsewhere.

Agreed.

Anyone know whether Gus is considering it? I definitely think he should be, if Boom ends up elsewhere.

I have heard nothing about Gus even considering that Muschamp may leave. It has to be in his head though. As with all HCs, I am sure he has a list of potential OCs and DCs.

Agreed.

I have heard nothing about Gus even considering that Muschamp may leave. It has to be in his head though. As with all HCs, I am sure he has a list of potential OCs and DCs.

Thanks.

I agree wholeheartedly about taking the logical and longterm solution and hiring T-Rob as DC. It is the best solution and least damaging. My only question is, do we have the willpower at the top to make that decision and make it happen so that he is not lost again to someone else.

Not a football expert, but am a long, long time Aubie and like you all, am tired of our football situation. I don't know the answer, but I know there's one guy making big bucks that's ultimately responsible, and he needs to get it fixed or we need to replace him. Naturally, I'm speaking of Jay Jacobs. Dog gone! He's almost bankrupted our athletic program with his ridiculous "buy-out" contracts, and we're still so far behind our friends across state, it's pitiful. Just my two cents this morning as I prepare to watch my team in the big old Birmingham Bowl. Disgraceful!

I agree wholeheartedly about taking the logical and longterm solution and hiring T-Rob as DC. It is the best solution and least damaging. My only question is, do we have the willpower at the top to make that decision and make it happen so that he is not lost again to someone else.

I wonder about that, but I also wonder whether T-Rob wants the job. I am not trying to support the rumors that there are 'organizational issues' under Gus. In fact, I am trying to figure out what the heck that even means. But IF there are, and IF they are making Boom unhappy, then surely they would also make T-Rob unhappy.

Don't know about your conclusions...but to remove at least one of the variables.....recruiting. AU is recruiting the same guys being recruited by our major competition and getting kids who are highly rated by other coaches and the sacred rating services who are rarely wrong ....according to some.

My point being: pretty much all the top schools in the SEC start about the same place as far as talent is concerned...though some have higher attrition....which seems to include us perhaps?

I happen to agree with you. I think we are doing a good job recruiting. However, some folks insist that the problem is talent. If they are right, it's on the coaches. We would be recruiting literally all busts, which means that the coaches don't know how to evaluate talent.

Archived