Carson Griffis 2016 Walk on Athlete

Newbomb

I'll go on record as saying he never plays a snap unless it's special teams. Not saying he's not good enough. I think he is. But no walk-on has played significant minutes in years (many years) any position here. (except kicker of course). Different era. Doesn't happen now at Auburn. We've had many QB's over the years similar size, maybe less skilled than Griffis that played well. Schollie QB's like Traylor, Trotman, Philip Gargis, Randy Campbell, and others come to mind, but again different eras. Gus has shown that he can recruit one or two (or more if we had room) 4* QB's every year. Problem has been to sign the right one(s). Realistically no Walk on is going to have a chance to play QB (except maybe scout team) because coaching and developing time must be spent on our investment.

Not true. Rod Smith, Trent Fisher, Rod Hood, Jeremy Ingle, Alex Lincoln, Willie Whitehead, in addition to those already mentioned from earlier days. Granted, the only QB walk on I can remember getting meaningful snaps was Mike Mann in the early 80s, and playing QB at this level as a walk-on is a steep climb, but who knows? If Gus is now committed to DT QB's and we get some injuries, a al Ohio State, it could happen. There have been years we have gone through a lot of QBs looking for a spark.

Thanks for the response....I knew that was not true and to dismiss "special teams" as if that's not important ? I think AU has had walk-ons doing the deep snapping for as long as I can remember and for someone to imply that's not significant ? And of course Gage Batten was pretty well used and then moved on to Miami where he got a scholarship.

I think some schools are more receptive to walk-ons than AU.....so when talking about the paucity of walk-ons at AU....I'm suggesting the issue says more about AU's coaching philosophy over the years that it does about the kids who give it a try... so on that point I tend to agree with Autan..

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll go on record as saying he never plays a snap unless it's special teams. Not saying he's not good enough. I think he is. But no walk-on has played significant minutes in years (many years) any position here. (except kicker of course). Different era. Doesn't happen now at Auburn. We've had many QB's over the years similar size, maybe less skilled than Griffis that played well. Schollie QB's like Traylor, Trotman, Philip Gargis, Randy Campbell, and others come to mind, but again different eras. Gus has shown that he can recruit one or two (or more if we had room) 4* QB's every year. Problem has been to sign the right one(s). Realistically no Walk on is going to have a chance to play QB (except maybe scout team) because coaching and developing time must be spent on our investment.

Not true. Rod Smith, Trent Fisher, Rod Hood, Jeremy Ingle, Alex Lincoln, Willie Whitehead, in addition to those already mentioned from earlier days. Granted, the only QB walk on I can remember getting meaningful snaps was Mike Mann in the early 80s, and playing QB at this level as a walk-on is a steep climb, but who knows? If Gus is now committed to DT QB's and we get some injuries, a al Ohio State, it could happen. There have been years we have gone through a lot of QBs looking for a spark.

This kid stated he is expected tob play somewhere other than qb....

Those fine Auburn men you listed played a number of years ago. I'm just saying I don't see it happening right now. We recruit about 25 elite athletes each year and can only have 85 on scholarship at one time. So some of these blue chip (showing my age) athletes end up moving on. It's OK to dream but hopefully our coaches are up front with our invited walk ons about the reality of the situation.

Our roster has 100 players listed...plus the guys who just signed...so maybe 110 + overall....lots of walk on players on the list

Auburn has never put much focus on this and it should be an area of focus to keep in state talent at home. Most walk ons end up playing a position other than what they were recruited at. This kid could end up being a great slot receiver or db with the room to grow. What he has proven is a love of the game, good work ethic and desire to get better and whatever it takes to get to the next level or have a real opportunity. Getting guys like this can help maintain stable success as you may hit on one or two, but they all set the bar when it comes to effort on and off the field

Those fine Auburn men you listed played a number of years ago. I'm just saying I don't see it happening right now. We recruit about 25 elite athletes each year and can only have 85 on scholarship at one time. So some of these blue chip (showing my age) athletes end up moving on. It's OK to dream but hopefully our coaches are up front with our invited walk ons about the reality of the situation.

Rod Smith and Trent Fisher were a number of years ago? Not a large number.

rod smith was a good click back. Ten years or more.

Our roster has 100 players listed...plus the guys who just signed...so maybe 110 + overall....lots of walk on players on the list

The walkons are almost entirely on the practice squad. I can think of one WR walkon that played in a game this past year. There could have been one or two on special teams but I don't think so. We have them around the team, but it's been quite some time since a walkon got significant playing time.

For quite a while our deep snappers have been walk on players including Josh Harris, the guy who now is DS for the Falcons. These guys go unnoticed....unless they make a mistake ....and then everyone notices....but AU has been fortunate to have very good DS lately.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2014/11/walk-on_freshman_will_probably.html

rod smith was a good click back. Ten years or more.

Rod's last year was 2008. I guess when you've been following AU football for almost 50 years, that seems recent. Trent was a couple of years ago. Except for special teams, successful walk ons are less common at least at AU, but we will still have a few if the program encourages/supports it.

What about the Sherwood db that played so well in last spring game? Was he not a walk-on? Didn't he play some this past season? I may be wrong about this, but!!!

Jason Miska was a walk on.

Anyway the throwing motion is not good for a QB. Maybe he can become a slot WR that can block or possibly DB maybe safety or nickel. If the 4.6 is legit that gives him a chance. If it's 4.8 he's got a long way to go. Nice athlete though.

lol but Wade fears no one

Is it OK to call Mr. Christopher by his first name or is this reserved for insiders and Mods?

lol but Wade fears no one

Is it OK to call Mr. Christopher by his first name or is this reserved for insiders and Mods?

Damn near made me spill my PBR over that one 4 _AU :bow:

Auburn has had many walkons over the years. We generally have 20 or so invited walkons every year. Without them; it would be difficult to field a scout team. Tucker Tuberville is a walkon. There have been way too many over the years to mention. Not sure what some peoples problems are with walkons are. My brother walked on in 1967. Though he weighed about 165-70; he played a lot on the JV-scout team and got to be pummeled by Forrest Blue and a lot of AU`s linemen. We have a walkon now, Grey King that played a good deal on special teams and some at wide receiver. They serve a purpose with little respect except from the other players and the coaches.WDE

Auburn has had many walkons over the years. We generally have 20 or so invited walkons every year. Without them; it would be difficult to field a scout team. Tucker Tuberville is a walkon. There have been way too many over the years to mention. Not sure what some peoples problems are with walkons are. My brother walked on in 1967. Though he weighed about 165-70; he played a lot on the JV-scout team and got to be pummeled by Forrest Blue and a lot of AU`s linemen. We have a walkon now, Grey King that played a good deal on special teams and some at wide receiver. They serve a purpose with little respect except from the other players and the coaches.WDE

We may have 20 walk ons a year but the preferred walk ons is far less. Most schools, not sure how Auburn handles it, give preferred walk ons a spot on the 105 man roster immediately.

Archived