Craig a candidate for lsu WR coach (update: Done Deal)

WarDamnEagleWDE

Dameyune just made a very self-centered professional decision. I haven't seen any indication that he was willing to sacrifice for Auburn. Love doesn't means whole lot if the thing you love always takes a back seat to something else. Could be appropriate. His family should come before Auburn. Maybe his career goals should too. Maybe his happiness at work should. But folks are making Daneyune out to be this Saint dedicated to the school, for what?

He was openly negatively recruiting against Auburn when he was at FSU, and he only came back here for a job title promotion (Co-OC) and a sizable raise. He's been about himself throughout his professional career. Maybe that's the way it should be (because who else is looking out for you), but he's never sacrificed for Auburn as a coach.

He most definitely could've screwed us over in the final stages of recruiting. Especially since the rumors claim he has been looking for over a month now. BTW, I don't think one single coach on this staff is a saint. I don't care how much of AU men they are. Most, if not all, people will do what's best for themselves and their family & rightfully so.

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Patience folks, we've got to have patience for a long while. Many of our coaches are still in training, including our HC. It's painful for us because we feel like AU deserves the best and pays salaries to obtain the very best. Gus has a few more years to get this straightened out - we just have to be patient in this process.

He could've. It's a tough balance. In one view, he was busting his tail for Auburn until the time he was no longer employed there. Admirable. In another view of the same actions, he was duping high school kids to come "play for him" when he likely knew he was walking out the door at the first opportunity. Um, gross?

All I was saying is that people should stop with the "Gus ran off a guy who LOVES AUBURN" or "Gus ran off a guy who would never hurt Auburn but had no choice." That narrative is completely counter-factual. First, Dameyune left. He wasn't fired so no one ran him off. If you have a job and you are not fired, you always have a choice to stay or go. Second, Dameyune has demonstrated, throughout his professional career, that he's going to do his job to the fullest, even if it directly hurts Auburn (as he did at FSU). I don't see any evidence in his professional life that demonstrates a love for Auburn. I'm sure he loves his time at Auburn, and I'm sure he cherishes it as his alma mater. As a professional, however, it's been a place of career advancement or a place blocking his way to success, and he's treated it dispassionately.

He could've. It's a tough balance. In one view, he was busting his tail for Auburn until the time he was no longer employed there. Admirable. In another view of the same actions, he was duping high school kids to come "play for him" when he likely knew he was walking out the door at the first opportunity. Um, gross?

All I was saying is that people should stop with the "Gus ran off a guy who LOVES AUBURN" or "Gus ran off a guy who would never hurt Auburn but had no choice." That narrative is completely counter-factual. First, Dameyune left. He wasn't fired so no one ran him off. If you have a job and you are not fired, you always have a choice to stay or go. Second, Dameyune has demonstrated, throughout his professional career, that he's going to do his job to the fullest, even if it directly hurts Auburn (as he did at FSU). I don't see any evidence in his professional life that demonstrates a love for Auburn. I'm sure he loves his time at Auburn, and I'm sure he cherishes it as his alma mater. As a professional, however, it's been a place of career advancement or a place blocking his way to success, and he's treated it dispassionately.

Very rational post.

Patience folks, we've got to have patience for a long while. Many of our coaches are still in training, including our HC. It's painful for us because we feel like AU deserves the best and pays salaries to obtain the very best. Gus has a few more years to get this straightened out - we just have to be patient in this process.

Patience and Auburn Football do not go together. ;)

Protecting your guys is fine until it's adversely affecting the program in terms of wins and losses. That's where Tubs flamed out. I hope that if this doesn't work out that the door will not be shut for Kodi or T-Will to come back to AU in the future when they are actually ready to man position coaching spots. I can do without Rhett though lol

Tubs flamed out when he brought in Franklin and it did not mesh with his guys. That was a disaster of a hire and did not fit the Tubbs mold at all.

Man this Lashlee hate is scary...I would be worried if he ran into one of you guys at the local supermarket....

Thats what I'm saying. If Lashlee called the plays and actually did something, he'd probably have an answering machine just for the death threats callers.

I beginning to think he ran over Altima's puppy and did not stop to check on her....some folks just won't let up.

No... I just know coaches! I've been lucky enough to have played for some great one's.

And, I recognize a free ride when I see one...

For whom have you played for?

I'm about to be 34 years old.

And?

This is crazy. There is no putting the lipstick on the pig. We pushed out one of the top recruiters, AU belived son, after years of trying to bring him home. Goodbye Mobile and south Alabama. We kept RL who is not hailed as much of a coach or recruiter. No way he is the OC. This O has gotten worse the last 2 yrs and our record against sec fies is on life support. I don't understand how GM can be so stupid, thin dkinned, or whatever his problem is. And frankly i dont understsnd how AU allowed him to screw the program. Coaches are leaving to get away from Gus. We lost Trob. Another guy we wanted to keep but Gus didn't trust. Stop the excuses and sundhine pumping. I've had it with GM. RL and CB are kids. GM is a jerk

Ok... lets break this down. First, any speculation that Craig wanted Lashlee's job and would still be here if Gus fired Lashlee is just that, speculation. Second the difference between the 2013 and 2014 offense was a whole 16 yards and 4 points per game, and that was primarily because a ) we had more passing yardage, so Nick didn't run as often (122 fewer attempts), and b ) we lost a Heisman candidate running back. The drop-off in 2014 was on the defensive side of the ball. Third, the only coach who left to "get away from Gus", was Craig, and he wasn't getting away from Gus. By all accounts he was leaving a system that didn't fit what he wanted to do. By that reasoning, he wouldn't have wanted the coordinator position if Gus had offered it to him. As for Robinson, there was no "Gus didn't trust him", he wanted to be a defensive coordinator and work for a coach he's worked with forever. Gus wanted someone with more experience, especially since he's in no position to tutor a defensive coordinator. In fact, by bringing Robinson to South Carolina to be the DC, Muschamp did EXACTLY what Gus did with Lashlee when coming to Auburn. Finally, as for Gus being a jerk, do you know him, personally? Have you even met him? It seems pretty presumptuous to take a bunch of speculation about why things are happening in a program and formulate a judgement about someone's character from it.

Honestly, people need to take a step away from the ledge and let things play out before passing judgement. If, next season, we don't field a respectable team, by all means get your pitchforks, but throwing a fit now will only make you look a fool if we do in fact compete in the Fall.

wow. Beautiful rebuttal

Protecting your guys is fine until it's adversely affecting the program in terms of wins and losses. That's where Tubs flamed out. I hope that if this doesn't work out that the door will not be shut for Kodi or T-Will to come back to AU in the future when they are actually ready to man position coaching spots. I can do without Rhett though lol

Tubs flamed out when he brought in Franklin and it did not mesh with his guys. That was a disaster of a hire and did not fit the Tubbs mold at all.

Tubs refused to update his staff to fit his OC and wouldn't agree to let go of any of them even after the 5-7 season in 2008 -- according to this board at the time.

LOL...

Craig could have left for Georgia before signing day and taken all of these kids with him had he really wanted to. He's looking out for himself as any coach should; but he still went out of his way to do all he could to leave Auburn on a positive note.

LOL...

Craig could have left for Georgia before signing day and taken all of these kids with him had he really wanted to. He's looking out for himself as any coach should; but he still went out of his way to do all he could to leave Auburn on a positive note.

Very true. We should all have an extra amount of respect for how Craig handled his move. Several people hinted that a move was coming, so it's not like he made a snap decision. What he did was leave Auburn in the best shape he could and then did what was right for him.

LOL...

And, to make sure everyone knows, UGA tried to hire DC away from AU.

Man this Lashlee hate is scary...I would be worried if he ran into one of you guys at the local supermarket....

Thats what I'm saying. If Lashlee called the plays and actually did something, he'd probably have an answering machine just for the death threats callers.

I beginning to think he ran over Altima's puppy and did not stop to check on her....some folks just won't let up.

No... I just know coaches! I've been lucky enough to have played for some great one's.

And?

And, if we assume Altima played at Auburn, that means he played for Tuberville and was probably a teammate of TRob, among others.

LOL...

Very true. We should all have an extra amount of respect for how Craig handled his move. Several people hinted that a move was coming, so it's not like he made a snap decision. What he did was leave Auburn in the best shape he could and then did what was right for him.

Plus, think of it this way. Gus brought in a guy with extensive experience in his offense in Kodi. (It has been suggested that CDC didn't have very much experience in this offense before he came on board.) Add the addition of Hand, who was with him at Tulsa (with great results). Everyone else on that offensive staff has been with him before and knows the system well (they're "all in"). The less resistance that there can be had, the better the offense will run (if done well, which is a big if). Hopefully a good QB will come out of the spring and any "problems" will be in distant memory. With all the competition, you hope it makes the best of the players emerge, which should translate into wins.

All the eggs are in the basket; if Gus fails, then all the dirty laundry will come out and a new start might be needed. If he succeeds, it's all for the better.

And remember, Saban re-hired Steele multiple times for a reason, and CKS has big ties in Mobile and Florida (like DC). Crimedog is a stud recruiter, and we still have Garner. Malzahn does well on the trail too. We're fine recruiting-wise. Heck, we need to do a better job developing the talent we've recruited at this point.

And?

And, if we assume Altima played at Auburn, that means he played for Tuberville and was probably a teammate of TRob, among others.

Yes...I prefer not to assume...he could be an Uncle Rico and his "great ones" days go back to Pee Wee. I'm not trying to flame, but just wondering what his experience is.

And?

Yes...I prefer not to assume...he could be an Uncle Rico and his "great ones" days go back to Pee Wee. I'm not trying to flame, but just wondering what his experience is.

Right. But if he wanted to come out and tell us who he is, he probably would do so. I can understand if he doesn't want to tell us everything.

And?

Right. But if he wanted to come out and tell us who he is, he probably would do so. I can understand if he doesn't want to tell us everything.

Me too, but mentioning a famous coach that he played for won't give anything away. I try to get a cross section of opinions and his seem pretty pointed. I was trying to determine if his experience has any credence.

Wish I could get a perspective from a person who hasn't taken up for Gus in every move he's ever made.....But everybody have their opinions, I respect that. I just can't understand how a conclusion cam be made losing DC wasn't a big deal but lashlee is such an important and vital piece to our team

And?

Me too, but mentioning a famous coach that he played for won't give anything away. I try to get a cross section of opinions and his seem pretty pointed. I was trying to determine if his experience has any credence.

I get it. Of course, he could come out and tell us he's Cadillac Williams, and we'd have no way to verify it or disprove it.

Wish I could get a perspective from a person who hasn't taken up for Gus in every move he's ever made.....But everybody have their opinions, I respect that. I just can't understand how a conclusion cam be made losing DC wasn't a big deal but lashlee is such an important and vital piece to our team

Altima is your guy, for sure. WDE, too. Golf. AUIH1. I'm sure there are quite a few others. These just come to mind right now.

I am not going to defend Lashlee but for the life of me I can't see where Craig leaving the program is worth all this hand wringing. What is it about him leaving that is such a big deal? His coaching ability? Because he is a top recruiter? I remember a lot of dropped passes this past season. In addition to allegedly defending Williams even after several off field incidents. And Auburn recruited excellent classes before Craig came to Auburn and will continue to do so in his absence.

Les Miles was 5 minutes away from losing his job, he was riding on the shoulders of his players on his last farewell tour of Death Valley and he ends up with a better defensive coaching staff than Auburn, hauls in top 5 recruiting class, and then he takes Auburn's ace recruiter?

There's no way to spin losing Craig to one of our main rivals as something remotely positive.

Archived