WCWS 2016 Bracket

Oklahoma and Michigan looked like good, solid athletic teams with a lot of confidence. Winning this game with GA really helps our chances. Got to hit better with runners on base, eliminate the little mistakes. I tell you what, these girls have been the real bright spot for Auburn athletics for the last two years. I'm starting to care a lot more than I thought I would. Almost had to call my cardiologist tonight.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tonight's game will be tough against either FSU or Mich. The series will likely be against Oklahoma, playing in front of a home crowd basically. That's tough against one of the best lefties in the game this year. They have now won 29 straight games. Wow. We have to get there first. Hopefully we win our game tomorrow aND bracket 2 goes to the extra game.

That game certainly was a nail biter...first year I've followed this closely. Been a lot of fun....

While mastering the obvious, all teams are stout as can be. OU last night, was on fast forward and then, Michigan made it a better game. FSU, no push, either....

The ladies have had such a great year, so much teamwork, such great players and personalities on the team. Hope like crazy, they can pull this thing off. WDE, ladies. Dang fine work.

pressure every day...pitching depth will be of major importance.

I'm curious as to just how many innings a softball pitcher can throw in a short period of time and still remain effective. I guess we'll find out by watching the Oklahoma pitcher. It looks like they are going to ride her every pitch for as long as possible.

War Tiger, thanks for that information. I've been unable to find a bracket that provides specific information as to which winner/loser goes where.

A question about Makayla Martin: I wasn't watching when she was removed today. Saw her in the dugout later wearing a wrap of some sort on her pitching arm. It looked like merely something to keep it warm. Did she suffer any sort of injury?

Try this:

http://i.turner.ncaa.com/sites/default/files/external/gametool/brackets/softball_d1_2016.pdf

War Tiger, thanks for that information. I've been unable to find a bracket that provides specific information as to which winner/loser goes where.

A question about Makayla Martin: I wasn't watching when she was removed today. Saw her in the dugout later wearing a wrap of some sort on her pitching arm. It looked like merely something to keep it warm. Did she suffer any sort of injury?

No injury. Coach said the pitching change was planned for when UGA's string of four lefties came up for the second time. He went with the lefty pitcher Walters at that point.

This is correct. The actual plan was for Martin to return after Walters went through the order one time and back through the lefties. She was doing so well, Corey decided to leave her in.

pressure every day...pitching depth will be of major importance.

I'm curious as to just how many innings a softball pitcher can throw in a short period of time and still remain effective. I guess we'll find out by watching the Oklahoma pitcher. It looks like they are going to ride her every pitch for as long as possible.

It depends on her conditioning, number of pitches and what pitches she throws among other factors. Most pitchers at this level can go through a 4-6 game tournament and still be effective.

Using the same pitcher game after game is pretty common at this level. It's also not all that detrimental to the team as long as that pitcher is conditioned enough to handle it, plus at this tournament she is pitching to different teams every time she goes out there. Now, how will that work if that team (whomever it is) makes it to the finals. Then they have to play the same team at least twice and possibly 3 times. We see it all the time that opponents adjust to what a pitcher is throwing after a time or 2 through the line up. Having her pitch multiple games to the same team might not make her as effective as she normally would be given that adjustment made by the hitters.

Using the same pitcher game after game is pretty common at this level. It's also not all that detrimental to the team as long as that pitcher is conditioned enough to handle it, plus at this tournament she is pitching to different teams every time she goes out there. Now, how will that work if that team (whomever it is) makes it to the finals. Then they have to play the same team at least twice and possibly 3 times. We see it all the time that opponents adjust to what a pitcher is throwing after a time or 2 through the line up. Having her pitch multiple games to the same team might not make her as effective as she normally would be given that adjustment made by the hitters.

I keep reading this but from watching games it does not look that way. As I mentioned the other day, I watched several very good pitchers gradually lose effectiveness by the time game 3 arrived. Maybe one game a day for a couple days but after that....???

And while it might look like nothing has changed, it seems that either the batters pick up on what she is doing or there is a subtle loss of effectiveness....loss of spin, ball not breaking as much or whatever. These ladies are not robots and there has to be some wear and tear or strength loss in the shoulders, back...or legs from repeating that same motion a couple hundred times.

AU seems to have more pitching depth than the other teams still in play...well, maybe other than LSU...so will be interesting to see how far the Mich and OK pitchers go.

FSU is currently beating Michigan 1-0 in the middle of the fifth.

I assume the pitching is similar to playing golf ... You can theoretically play a bunch of holes over a few days, but if you are not concentrating then general good ole fashioned fatigue will start and your game gets inconsistent. That's where I assume a pitching mistake will turn into hbp and homers or just solid hits

FSU is currently beating Michigan 1-0 in the middle of the fifth.

Pitcher's duel right now. I actually hope the game goes extras to wear each other out, but then it would push everything back. Either way I would like the pitchers to get used up a little.

I assume the pitching is similar to playing golf ... You can theoretically play a bunch of holes over a few days, but if you are not concentrating then general good ole fashioned fatigue will start and your game gets inconsistent. That's where I assume a pitching mistake will turn into hbp and homers or just solid hits

Good point...the worst mistakes a tired pitcher can make is to put a ball right down the middle to a good hitter.

With only 1 hit and 1 run. Their pitcher has been dealing lately. Mich got the short straw on game times. Late game followed by early start. May have had something to do with their offense. Their pitcher was great today too. I was hoping the loser of last night would lose the game today to knock out a power.

So we get FSU ....again.

Guess this game could be the rubber game for the season. AU split with them 9-6 and 3-4 in Auburn back in April.

Again....no surprises ahead for either team....everyone knows everyone.

FSU beats Michigan.

I was really thinking we'd be getting Michigan. I'll take this outcome.

FSU beats Michigan.

I was really thinking we'd be getting Michigan. I'll take this outcome.

I kind of expected to get Michigan as well. Not disappointed much (even though I detest fsu as much as I detest uat), because we can finally get rid of the love fest for Romero.

We play Auburn softball, we will win.

Oh no!!! Did you guys see the 5th inning home run by Bell? A woman tried to catch it in the stands. It deflected off her hands and hit a little girl right in the forehead. I hope she is OK. The announcers didn't say a word about it. There had to be a lot of commotion around her out there.

Oh no!!! Did you guys see the 5th inning home run by Bell? A woman tried to catch it in the stands. It deflected off her hands and hit a little girl right in the forehead. I hope she is OK. The announcers didn't say a word about it. There had to be a lot of commotion around her out there.

Was out of the room when it happened, so I didn't see it. But, I'm not at all surprised the announcers didn't acknowledge it. They miss so much its unbelievable.

Archived