serious question about talent.

aubiefifty

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of coaches would look a heck of a lot better with the talent he has had coming in every year.

No, no other coach is going to do a heck of a lot better than to average 10+ wins a year and a national championship every other year for 8 years. Good lord.

He leaves MSU and they don't win 10 games in a season until ten years later...smh

Amazing....and he did it once. SMH. So did Chizik.

Chizik did it at a school that had quite a few ten win seasons beforehand. You want to guess how many 10 win seasons MSU had pre saban? Or do you want to bow out?

A lot of coaches would look a heck of a lot better with the talent he has had coming in every year.

No, no other coach is going to do a heck of a lot better than to average 10+ wins a year and a national championship every other year for 8 years. Good lord.

No, but given that talent, for that length of time, a lot of coaches with 8-10 wins without it, would do a lot better with it.

He leaves MSU and they don't win 10 games in a season until ten years later...smh

Chizik did it at a school that had quite a few ten win seasons beforehand. You want to guess how many 10 win seasons MSU had pre saban? Or do you want to bow out?

He had one spike season. One, and bolted. He didn't build a program. He had one good season...and jumped for the money.

He had one spike season. One, and bolted. He didn't build a program. He had one good season...and jumped for the money.

Good choice.

Good choice.

Yes it was. He wasn't going to continue that success and he knew it. He wasn't going to get the elite players he needed to contend, which is the key factor.

Good choice.

Yes it was. He wasn't going to continue that success and he knew it. He wasn't going to get the elite players he needed to contend, which is the key factor.

No good choice on you bowing out. Only a fool would stay at a place, when there is opportunity for greener pastures. I mean didn't Gus do the same thing at Arkansas state?

Good choice.

No good choice on you bowing out. Only a fool would stay at a place, when there is opportunity for greener pastures. I mean didn't Gus do the same thing at Arkansas state?

It was a good choice...but he hardly built a program. They were right back at 6-6 after he left, which is likely where he'd have been had he stayed. That's the whole point. He was judged on one good year.

No, but given that talent, for that length of time, a lot of coaches with 8-10 wins without it, would do a lot better with it.

Not sure you know what the term "a lot" means.

"Better" is at least debatable, even if still a bit dubious.

An extra 2+ wins/season isn't a lot better?

Good choice.

It was a good choice...but he hardly built a program. They were right back at 6-6 after he left, which is likely where he'd have been had he stayed. That's the whole point. He was judged on one good year.

I never said he built the program. I said under his tenure they were a 10 win team, something they hadn't accomplished since 1965. Once he left, it was a full decade before they won 10 games again. Those aren't assumptions. Those are real facts. He was judged on one good year, huh?

How did that judgement go? Several NCs later...

Good choice.

I never said he built the program. I said under his tenure they were a 10 win team, something they hadn't accomplished since 1965. Once he left, it was a full decade before they won 10 games again. Those aren't assumptions. Those are real facts. He was judged on one good year, huh?

Yes he was at the time...which is what the past tense of the verb means.

Good choice.

Yes he was at the time..Nah, I'll strike that last bit. I think you might even get the idea.

Good choice.

Yes he was at the time..Nah, I'll strike that last bit. I think you might even get the idea.

Yes, NS is the best college football coach bar none in my generation. When will you get this?

If you seriously think that any coach could average an undefeated regular season for 8 years with any level of talent... Yeah, I don't even know what to say to that. So I won't say anything more at all. I need to take a shower or have a drink or something anyway after all this saban/bama talk.

If you seriously think that any coach could average an undefeated regular season for 8 years with any level of talent... Yeah, I don't even know what to say to that. So I won't say anything more at all. I need to take a shower or have a drink or something anyway after all this saban/bama talk.

Did I ever say anyone would have the same record? No. I said they'd look a heck of a lot better, and win more games with a lot better talent on hand, and for that length of time and consistently. That difference in volume of elite athletes can make an perennial 8-4 coach into a 10-2 coach. Hence, make them look a whole lot better, which was the point in the first place, wasn't it?

LSU has been able to get equal talent to UAT for many years and Les has averaged 10+ wins a year since he's been there. Yet, much of their fan base and obviously many of their administration/boosters wanted him fired only 7 months ago. :dead:

Did I ever say anyone would have the same record? No. I said they'd look a heck of a lot better, and win more games with a lot better talent on hand, and for that length of time and consistently. That difference in volume of elite athletes can make an perennial 8-4 coach into a 10-2 coach. Hence, make them look a whole lot better, which was the point in the first place, wasn't it?

Apologies. Just now realizing that you never said the "than saban" that I read into it. You mean they would look better than they do now, and not that they would look better than saban has at bama. Did I get that right? Again, my apologies.

LSU has been able to get equal talent to UAT for many years and Les has averaged 10+ wins a year since he's been there. Yet, much of their fan base and obviously many of their administration/boosters wanted him fired only 7 months ago. :dead:

Equal talent is a bit of an overstatement. LSU's recruiting classes have been ranked 3rd, 6th, 2nd, 6th, 14th, etc. bama's have been 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st over the same period of time. While LSU has certainly out recruited us, they are still dragging behind bama and the REC. Not to say that Les would be as good as saban if he was reaping the benefits of the bama machine's recruiting, etc, as I think Les is too much of a gambler and to little of a strategist to win it all consistently.

Apologies. Just now realizing that you never said the "than saban" that I read into it. You mean they would look better than they do now, and not that they would look better than saban has at bama. Did I get that right? Again, my apologies.

You do have to admit, Loof, there are some coaches out there who are doing great things with a lot less who might be able to eclipse what Saban has done if they could keep the recruiting going and had some of the other advantages bama seems to have every year. Imagine how daunting it would be to face one of the great game strategists if he had a constant flow of 5-star players, never got called for holding, and usually got the good end of questionable calls.

That's one thing that makes me not be on the "I can't wait until Saban leaves" bandwagon. Who's to say, with the kind of money bama shells out, that they can't get a better on the field coach who can just reap the benefits of the behind the scenes machine that Saban built.

You do have to admit, Loof, there are some coaches out there who are doing great things with a lot less who might be able to eclipse what Saban has done if they could keep the recruiting going and had some of the other advantages bama seems to have every year. Imagine how daunting it would be to face one of the great game strategists if he had a constant flow of 5-star players, never got called for holding, and usually got the good end of questionable calls.

That's one thing that makes me not be on the "I can't wait until Saban leaves" bandwagon. Who's to say, with the kind of money bama shells out, that they can't get a better on the field coach who can just reap the benefits of the behind the scenes machine that Saban built.

I'll give you "might", but I find it highly unlikely. There are a handful of other programs with as much clout, money and motivation as bama, and nobody has come close (in the scholarship limit era) to the level of success saban has sustained. Nowhere even remotely close.

I'm not trying to say that saban is a Jedi on fall Saturdays. I'm only saying that he's better than the "mediocre" tag that some here would ascribe to him. You simply don't win like that without being very good in every aspect.

Heck, even when he loses, it's just barely.

This bolded portion is an interesting take to me. I was under the assumption that whoever is HC at Bama after Saban will have a few top notch years just because of the culture and major depth that they have. And I assumed once that culture that's been instilled in the team by Saban fades because the new coach will have his own way of doing things there will be cracks starting to show within the program. Similar to how AU's successes have been recently in that the previous coach's culture was in place and the new guy mends his style with what is already in place there, then things start to fade once the predecessor's players start leaving the program. But you are saying they might upgrade in the on-field department but the monster that Saban has built and maintained will be able to keep chugging on -- which yes, would be very bad.

I hope Dabo is not their next choice. A lot of people on here hate him but rational people can tell he's doing a fantastic job at Clemson. He's recruiting extremely well, has an offense similar to ours (probably a better system because he actually utilizes the I-Formation and other power formations from under center in addition to what we do out of shotgun), and would have the Bama machine you speak of backing him.

No problem. That is correct.

Archived