The Brexit Vote

AUDub

Oh no what have we done?!

Always remember your vote counts people. Too late for buyer's remorse now.

That's what happens when you vote your emotions instead of your mind.

Isn't it enough to simply celebrate democracy? Decisions by the people, for the people. Bask in the beautiful democratic process. The people decide their fate not the big ECB. Isn't this what ICHY and others have been clamoring for? Process, not outcomes.

Sure! The people have spoken. I'd be the last to dismiss the results based only on my opinion. So let them bask in the beautiful economic bed they have made for themselves - for better or worse.

Do you think it's possible for the majority in a popular democracy to make a mistake?

Should we celebrate that mistake simply because it was created by a relatively narrow majority?

I think pure democracy is a wretched concept. All major elections are highly emotional. There will be pain, there needs to be. Recessions are good. That is the process of clearing malinvestment and reallocating to the good investment. The EU is unsustainable, our federal govt is unsustainable and central banking is unsustainable. The precedent of move to decentralization is a very good one for free, free-thinking people. If you've got all your money tied up in euros, sovereign debt or stocks, you might consider what they are really worth outside of the world of easy credit bailouts, 'cause that's coming. One way or the other. (Personally, I'd rather not go through a post apocalyptic dystopian experience.)

In other news ^TNX 1.567 It's only money.

Oh, good grief. Recessions are not good, nor do they have the magical restorative powers that libertarians wish to grant them. Instead, they are periods of foregone growth that can never be recovered. I agree that the EU is probably unsustainable, but our federal government and central bank are every bit sustainable. To think otherwise is to allow one's self to be enslaved by ideology at the expense of reality--a folly on which libertarianism excels.

No, no, no. What we really need is a modern day version of the Dark Ages. It would be awesome!

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't we hear the same sort of nonsense after the Florida 2000 vote? Where people said they were "confused" and meant to vote one way and instead voted another? I swear, there's always a harebrained excuse with the left whenever they lose

It is funny watching liberals squirm as their gold standard crumbles.

"The young who voted Remain in 1975 overwhelmingly voted Leave in 2016. "

"Now a vote for the EU was a vote for love. And if the British couldn’t be terrified into voting Remain, surely they could be guilted into doing it?"

Sounds a lot like what we have going on here - guilt and young people thinking the government is the answer. Hopefully 52% of us want to be responsible for ourselves as well despite being called racists, bigots, xenophobes, or whatever other name is thrown our way for the purpose of guilt.

Yep. Anytime someone starts damning a decision because those that voted for it are older; I am reminded of Churchill's quote: "...the young grow wild oats; the old grow sage"...

"Now a vote for the EU was a vote for love. And if the British couldn’t be terrified into voting Remain, surely they could be guilted into doing it?"

Sounds a lot like what we have going on here - guilt and young people thinking the government is the answer. Hopefully 52% of us want to be responsible for ourselves as well despite being called racists, bigots, xenophobes, or whatever other name is thrown our way for the purpose of guilt.

Yep. Anytime someone starts damning a decision because those that voted for it are older; I am reminded of Churchill's quote: "...the young grow wild oats; the old grow sage"...

Interestingly enough, Churchill supported a sort of "United States of Europe."

Didn't we hear the same sort of nonsense after the Florida 2000 vote? Where people said they were "confused" and meant to vote one way and instead voted another? I swear, there's always a harebrained excuse with the left whenever they lose

Once again, you are confused. This was a defeat for conservatism.

Why else is Cameron resigning? Do you think Cameron is a liberal?

http://www.telegraph...ropean-madness/

How about lied too?

Not to defend Farage, but did he make that claim to begin with?

It was one of the core claims of the leave campaign.

Actually this was a big "**** you" from the baby-boomers to the millennials. They are saddling the young with a future they won't have to deal with. Hope they remember that when they are dribbling in some underfunded rest home.

I predict there will be a "brain drain" of young people from Britain if this sticks.

Actually this was a big "**** you" from the baby-boomers to the millennials. They are saddling the young with a future they don't want. Hope they are capable of remembering it when they are dribbling in some underfunded rest home.

I predict there will be a "brain drain" of young people from Britain if this sticks.

Ireland will benefit.

LOL

_90083850_mediaitem90083849.jpg

69051652.jpg

Trump was also gloating about how the devaluation of the British pound will help his golf courses by increasing tourism.

Assuming of course people can afford to take vacations.

Actually this was a big "**** you" from the baby-boomers to the millennials. They are saddling the young with a future they won't have to deal with. Hope they remember that when they are dribbling in some underfunded rest home.

As expected - first up on the butt-hurt list... =)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/19/the-conservative-party-may-be-destroyed-by-this-european-madness/

Daniel Hannan was for Brexit, so I'm cool with that

What a stupid thing to say. Why should I be butt-hurt?? :dunno: I'm a baby-boomer while you are presumably a millennial.

Granted, I am losing perhaps 10's of thousands of dollars, which I hope will be temporary and will return with time. But like they say, you never really re-coop your losses even if they do recover, they still bend the curve. Course I don't imagine that's much of a concern for someone who hasn't yet accumulated much wealth.

Regardless, do you think this is a good thing for the U.S.?

I expect that if Trump gets elected we will see the markets react in a similar fashion to Brexit.

Meanwhile in the EU: (yes, I know it is an older page but a co-worker just pointed this out)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/10/eu-to-launch-kettle-and-toaster-crackdown-after-brexit-vote2/

I have to admit this has to be my favorite thread on here at the moment. Make Brit-Merica Great Again!

What a stupid thing to say. Why should I be butt-hurt?? :dunno:

Well, other than the fact I will lose perhaps 10's of thousands of dollars, which I hope and expect will return with time.

Do you think this is a good thing for the U.S.?

They love a good vicarious experience and are projecting it upon you. ;)

Well, other than the fact I will lose perhaps 10's of thousands of dollars, which I hope and expect will return with time.

It really has no effect on America other than how it shows what the EU is doing and Obama/Liberals want just is not working.

And if you lost "10's of Thousands" you need to fire your investor!! lol

http://www.telegraph...ropean-madness/

Daniel Hannan was for Brexit, so I'm cool with that

Sorry, but you'll have to explain that response.

I expect that if Trump gets elected we will see the markets react in a similar fashion to Brexit.

Funny thing about markets..they go up, then they go down, then they go back up again and then back down. They're not static and money is being made whenever they move regardless which way it is moving.

It really has no effect on America other than how it shows what the EU is doing and Obama/Liberals want just is not working.

And if you lost "10's of Thousands" you need to fire your investor!! lol

First, what does this reveal about what Obama/Liberals want?

Secondly, 10's of thousands is not a particularly large percent of my financial resources.

Thirdly, I don't have an investor I am the investor.

Fourthly, What exactly is the mistake I have made as an investor? That's a pretty stupid implication to make knowing nothing about my investment strategy.

I suggest you get off the internet and go back to work and maybe someday you'll attain the "problems" I have. <_<

Oh no what have we done?!

Always remember your vote counts people. Too late for buyer's remorse now.

That's what happens when you vote your emotions instead of your mind.

Isn't it enough to simply celebrate democracy? Decisions by the people, for the people. Bask in the beautiful democratic process. The people decide their fate not the big ECB. Isn't this what ICHY and others have been clamoring for? Process, not outcomes.

Sure! The people have spoken. I'd be the last to dismiss the results based only on my opinion. So let them bask in the beautiful economic bed they have made for themselves - for better or worse.

Do you think it's possible for the majority in a popular democracy to make a mistake?

Should we celebrate that mistake simply because it was created by a relatively narrow majority?

I think pure democracy is a wretched concept. All major elections are highly emotional. There will be pain, there needs to be. Recessions are good. That is the process of clearing malinvestment and reallocating to the good investment. The EU is unsustainable, our federal govt is unsustainable and central banking is unsustainable. The precedent of move to decentralization is a very good one for free, free-thinking people. If you've got all your money tied up in euros, sovereign debt or stocks, you might consider what they are really worth outside of the world of easy credit bailouts, 'cause that's coming. One way or the other. (Personally, I'd rather not go through a post apocalyptic dystopian experience.)

In other news ^TNX 1.567 It's only money.

Oh, good grief. Recessions are not good, nor do they have the magical restorative powers that libertarians wish to grant them. Instead, they are periods of foregone growth that can never be recovered. I agree that the EU is probably unsustainable, but our federal government and central bank are every bit sustainable. To think otherwise is to allow one's self to be enslaved by ideology at the expense of reality--a folly on which libertarianism excels.

No, no, no. What we really need is a modern day version of the Dark Ages. It would be awesome!

Just think of the malinvestments that would take care of! ;D

LOL

_90083850_mediaitem90083849.jpg

69051652.jpg

Trump was also gloating about how the devaluation of the British pound will help his golf courses by increasing tourism.

Assuming of course people can afford to take vacations.

Well, presumably he was referring to Americans, Europeans and Asians taking advantage of the exchange rates.

Funny thing about markets..they go up, then they go down, then they go back up again and then back down. They're not static and money is being made whenever they move regardless which way it is moving.

Only for the "players", and they rarely do well over the long term.

Not to mention that older investors may not live long enough to recover from a major crash.

Archived