OT: StubHub

PatBoCamRob

Season tickets are expensive.  So, I resell to games I don't attend.  I guess this is safe to admit, because Auburn is now encouraging it.  My tickets arrived with a leaflet saying "Sell your tickets on StubHub!"  Great.  Wonderful.  Happy, happy, happy.

Except...  I've been having trouble uploading my barcodes for instant download.  I called StubHub today and they told me the University hasn't cleared them to accept barcodes yet.  We are less than 30 days from kickoff.  So, it shouldn't be a problem for them to turn on the system.  However, football has not sold out their tickets.   For example, there are hundreds of seats available for the TX A&M game from the University as of today.  7 game packs are still available, as well.

I suspect they are holding back on allowing instant download until they can get rid of the unsold tickets.  And, I reckon fans have decided to take a wait-and-see approach, for a number of reasons.  Fans have no obligation to buy tickets until the very last minute because of instant download.  So, they have no motivation to risk committing early to a game that might have rain, etc.  And, interest could drop very quickly if we don't have a good September.  I think it's taken a couple of years for fans to figure the system out, but that they are accustomed to it now.

On the one hand, the University would be correct to take measures to not allow the ticket prices to nosedive while it still held as much as 5% or more of the supply.  But, it's ultimately frustrating to people like me, who may end up suffering because of the new system.  

Benefits that were likely pitched to the University are hardships to season ticket holders, and eventually the University and its fans.  I think "instant download" is the devil.  Paper tickets will now always be suspect, because they are voided when barcodes are uploaded.  It will continue to get harder to get fans to show up for games.  It's just not a good situation.  I hope Auburn revisits their decision to get involved in the StubHub instant download system.

I understand that by offering the service, Auburn participates in revenue sharing in the resale market. But, I think it is starting to come back to bite all of us.

Certainly, all our woes would disappear if we won on the field.  But, I prefer not to be a fair-weather fan.  I hope y'all will, too. :)

The ticket office has been calling me recently to pick up a home pack.  This is the first year since 2009 that I haven't had my regular season tickets.  The best way to sell tickets is to win football games.  I also think having uga and Bama on the same home and away schedule hurts ticket sales in the off years. I've made a personal decision to save that money and invest it into other things.

The UGA and Bama game thing can't be understated ... still a pretty good home schedule with Clemson ... 5 straight at Jordan-Hare to kickoff the season.  Also remember, winning solves everything ...

23 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

The UGA and Bama game thing can't be understated ... still a pretty good home schedule with Clemson ... 5 straight at Jordan-Hare to kickoff the season.  Also remember, winning solves everything ...

yep

Scalping tickets is now a big risk.  Stubhub should have an app so you can scan a paper ticket with your phone and tell if it is still good or not. 

2 hours ago, tigereyes said:

Scalping tickets is now a big risk.  Stubhub should have an app so you can scan a paper ticket with your phone and tell if it is still good or not. 

Really? Nice. Had a UF friend buy some counterfeit AU tickets back in 2011. 

15 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

yep

Certainly it makes a difference in attendance.

BUT the Ticket Department's job is to sell tickets and generate revenue and I expect they have pretty much figured out the best way to do that is to sell as many seats in advance as possible.....one way or the other.

Fans who buy early strike gold if the team ...like 2013 for example...makes a big run and all of a sudden those deciding to buy at the last minute are facing scalper's prices...instead of face value.  Wonder what a ticket to the bama game that year cost on Stub Hub or some other re-sale site.

I rarely go to games any more because of the distance and unpredictable kick-off time but my theory is that if you love AU football and enjoy watching games live, just buy the tickets, go to the games and enjoy the game-day experience....or give a few to friends who have not been to AU, put them in a church raffle or whatever.

Granted, ticket prices are scary but seems that it is a futile task trying to decide whether to buy tickets based on pre-season ratings of the team's prospects....especially for AU which is totally unpredictable it seems.

13 minutes ago, AU64 said:

BUT the Ticket Department's job is to sell tickets and generate revenue and I expect they have pretty much figured out the best way to do that is to sell as many seats in advance as possible.....one way or the other.

Fans who buy early strike gold if the team ...like 2013 for example...makes a big run and all of a sudden those deciding to buy at the last minute are facing scalper's prices...instead of face value.  Wonder what a ticket to the bama game that year cost on Stub Hub or some other re-sale site.

I rarely go to games any more because of the distance and unpredictable kick-off time but my theory is that if you love AU football and enjoy watching games live, just buy the tickets, go to the games and enjoy the game-day experience....or give a few to friends who have not been to AU, put them in a church raffle or whatever.

Granted, ticket prices are scary but seems that it is a futile task trying to decide whether to buy tickets based on pre-season ratings of the team's prospects....especially for AU which is totally unpredictable it seems.

I paid about 220 per ticket about 4 hours from game time on Stubhub for the 2013 Iron Bowl.

47 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

Shameless plug, TiqIQ sponsors the site so if you're looking for secondary market tickets, be sure to check out their prices as well ...

LINK

TIQ2016Ad.png

Nothing shameless.....good to support the people who support Auburn....WDE.

1 hour ago, AUFan21 said:

I paid about 220 per ticket about 4 hours from game time on Stubhub for the 2013 Iron Bowl.

Sounds like a bargain...in some ways.    I bet a few hours earlier they were more than that.....seems on a high demand ticket there is just the right time to buy and get an acceptable price.......a basic ECON 101 problem involving supply and demand huh.      And nice that you got to see the game in person.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Sounds like a bargain...in some ways.    I bet a few hours earlier they were more than that.....seems on a high demand ticket there is just the right time to buy and get an acceptable price.......a basic ECON 101 problem involving supply and demand huh.      And nice that you got to see the game in person.

I watched it all morning and waited to last possible time buy.

1 hour ago, AUFan21 said:

I watched it all morning and waited to last possible time buy.

Gotta be close to the stadium to make that work huh....well done....:thumbsup:

9 hours ago, tigereyes said:

Scalping tickets is now a big risk.  Stubhub Auburn should have an app so you can scan a paper ticket with your phone and tell if it is still good or not. 

FTFY

5 hours ago, RunInRed said:

Shameless plug, TiqIQ sponsors the site so if you're looking for secondary market tickets, be sure to check out their prices as well ...

LINK

TIQ2016Ad.png

I ordered from these guys just last week for the Clemson game.  $140 bucks per ticket in section 41 above the goal posts.  Good seats!  The face value for the Clemson game is $110 if what I'm hearing is correct.

9 minutes ago, vatz22au said:

I ordered from these guys just last week for the Clemson game.  $140 bucks per ticket in section 41 above the goal posts.  Good seats!  The face value for the Clemson game is $110 if what I'm hearing is correct.

Dang...did not know AU tickets had crossed the $100 Mark for regular season.:angry::angry::angry:

53 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Dang...did not know AU tickets had crossed the $100 Mark for regular season.:angry::angry::angry:

+

6 hours ago, AUFan21 said:

=

Why should I keep buying season tickets?  Instant Download will be the "Instant Downfall" of ticket sales, this year or in a year or two.

18 minutes ago, PatBoCamRob said:

+

=

Why should I keep buying season tickets?  Instant Download will be the "Instant Downfall" of ticket sales, this year or in a year or two.

Certainly changes the marketing strategy for AU but then again, you never know where you will be sitting ...or with whom.    Buy at the last minute and the odds are you will be right next to some obnoxious bammer or dawg.......or maybe AUFan21 if you just get lucky.

On 8/11/2016 at 4:47 PM, AU64 said:

Certainly changes the marketing strategy for AU but then again, you never know where you will be sitting ...or with whom.    Buy at the last minute and the odds are you will be right next to some obnoxious bammer or dawg.......or maybe AUFan21 if you just get lucky.

I was surrounded by bammers. I was lucky to have a bunch of Auburn fans on my row though.

On August 11, 2016 at 10:24 AM, AU64 said:

In 2013, I missed the Uga game because I had a baby two weeks before...We listed our Iron Bowl tickets on StubHub at an outrageous price just to see if they would sell ($600/ticket), but pulled them off that morning and headed to the game. I am so so so glad they didn't sell! Missing both of those games in person would have killed me even if my daughter was good luck for our season. ?

48 minutes ago, AidiAU said:

In 2013, I missed the Uga game because I had a baby two weeks before...We listed our Iron Bowl tickets on StubHub at an outrageous price just to see if they would sell ($600/ticket), but pulled them off that morning and headed to the game. I am so so so glad they didn't sell! Missing both of those games in person would have killed me even if my daughter was good luck for our season. ?

Great story Aidi.......thanks for sharing

Archived