The TWO MAJOR problems, and a SOLUTION!!

TigerfanKM

The two main problems I see are play calling and our OL.

1) Play calling / tendencies: when you have a QB who is not a MAJOR threat to hurt the D when he runs, there is no respect for him and the D just keys on the RB. This leads to small gains or losses and puts our O in 2nd and 3rd and long. These are predictable situations and when your OL is struggling, your QB gets pressured into INTs or gets sacked. We run the ball the majority of the time on first down which is a major tendency other teams see on film I am sure.

2) OL (Offensive Line): we are used to having good OLs and this year's is struggling for various reasons. The run blocking, at times, has been good, but the pass blocking has been horrible.

How to fix: throw more on first down. That is the best down to even take a deeper shot. Also, Gus may have to swallow his pride and realize we may have to throw first and more to set up the run, not vice versa. One other suggestion, JF3 should be used more in the red zone, inside the 10 YL. Running with him will force the D to respect his speed and "guess" who has the ball.

These are basic things every coach should know. Do I think Guss is aware of these things? Yes I do. Is he too prideful to adapt and change and maybe admit his original blueprint is not working? Yes. Will this lead to him losing his job? More than likely.

4 minutes ago, Fricking Ray said:

I think that the issues with the OL leads to the questionable play calling. 

Part but not all.  The fact that plays fail in a manner where there is no chance of success, and they are called again, is mind boggling.

7 minutes ago, Fricking Ray said:

I think that the issues with the OL leads to the questionable play calling. 

There is absolutely nothing related to the O-Line that suggests you should correct it by rotating QB's and snapping the ball to Cox.

Just now, lionheartkc said:

Part but not all.  The fact that plays fail in a manner where there is no chance of success, and they are called again, is mind boggling.

Like pulling the guard to try to block Garrett TWICE!!

Even if you throw the ball on 1st down, the OL and/or backs have to block long enough for the play to develop (i.e., the receivers to get down field).  I think we tried that against Texas A&M with limited success due in part to being unable to block Garrett for long enough.  Granted, trying to block a rush end with the backside guard is always a recipe for disaster.  

Just passing more on first down won't fully resolve this. We need to install routes that attack linebackers. Running a 4-WR route that is something along the lines of Curl, Slant, Shallow Drag, Backside Post will be much more effective than using nothing but screens to be your defense against loading the box. Maybe a trips package that runs a drag, dig, post.

CGM refuses to attack the middle of the field with the pass.

Archived