Kevin Steele best first year DC in the SEC?

abw0004

17 hours ago, WarTim said:

Little Nicky lost HOMECOMING to UAB while @ LSU and to La Monroe at spuat. It happens. Coach KS is doing a very good job and I am glad he is at Auburn. 

I am glad to someone who thinks like I do about CKS. He has taken our defense to another level that we have not had since Coach Tuberville. If little Nicky thinks enough to hire him more than once, he must have something that is good about him. I think that CWM did a good job of recruiting of which is showing this season. CKS is an excellent recruiter as well. It is kind of silly to dwell on CKS past performance.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, doc4aday said:

I do think CKS is one of the best defensive coaches in the SEC. Only time will tell whether or not his defenses decline. Any DC will see a decline when he loses top shelf players and has to break in a new group of defensive players. We could go on about this until the end of the season and get nowhere. The bottom line is that he is doing a super job. He has a solid core group of experienced seasoned position coaches that are working as a unit. Let's look at how we turn out at seasons end.

Doc,

I, too, like what CKS is doing with the defense. I expect it will be solid at year's end. CKS's defenses have declined over multiple seasons in the past. I'm sure  we all hope that doesn't happen here at AU.

War Eagle

On 10/14/2016 at 0:56 PM, abw0004 said:

You never know.  Derrick Brown and Marlon Davidson could directly fill their shoes.  They are having an almost identical season that Adams and Lawson had their freshman years

Davidson is certainly a force, but he's a strong side DE. Lawson a weak side edge rusher. Hopefully Holland steps his game up between now and next season.

On 10/15/2016 at 6:46 AM, baldeagle55 said:

Anyone that can't see the improvement on defense this year compared to last year, probably doesn't understand defense very well.

2015 (last 4 games vs. P5 opponents):

Average Total Defense: 304 yards

Average Scoring Defense: 17.25 PPG

2016 (4 games vs. P5 opponents):

Average Total Defense: 376 yards

Average Scoring Defense: 18.75 PPG

On 10/14/2016 at 1:13 PM, Charhair said:

Clemson fans saying the were going to drop 80 on us because Steele was our DC. If only we'd had our offense together...

Exactly!

1 hour ago, JFDTiger80 said:

Exactly!

If we played Clemson next week, we could make them look really bad.

On 10/15/2016 at 10:44 AM, AURealist said:

Gotta disagree, Doc.  While many CKS non-fans will mention that he holds the NCAA Bowl Game record for points allowed, most see that only as confirmation of opinion already held. Namely, that CKS's defenses get worse over time, not better.

Can you expand on his defenses getting worse rather than better historically? Do you mean as the season goes on? From season to season?

Archived