Kevin Steele best first year DC in the SEC?

abw0004

Out of the 9 new defensive coordinators in the SEC for the 2016 football season, do you think Kevin Steele has done the best job all around?  My vote is yes considering last year's team was in the bottom 4 in all defensive statistics, and this year they are in the top 4 of all defensive categories, and rising.  Sure Alabama is doing great with Pruitt at DC, but anyone can do that well with all of those returning starters that had forgone the draft and have a great defense.  Kevin Steele took something that no one wanted, and made it one of the best in the country.  What are your thoughts?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He definitely has talent to work with this year, but he had more at LSU. I really think the defensive staff as a whole is making the biggest difference. 

4 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Out of the 9 new defensive coordinators in the SEC for the 2016 football season, do you think Kevin Steele has done the best job all around?  My vote is yes considering last year's team was in the bottom 4 in all defensive statistics, and this year they are in the top 4 of all defensive categories, and rising.  Sure Alabama is doing great with Pruitt at DC, but anyone can do that well with all of those returning starters that had forgone the draft and have a great defense.  Kevin Steele took something that no one wanted, and made it one of the best in the country.  What are your thoughts?

Heck yea... By many accounts, even though it's a minor step, bama has actually taken a step down on D from last year.  Even if you don't believe they have regressed, they certainly haven't noticeably improved.  Auburn, on the other hand, has taken 10 steps up. No comparison.  The only D coordinator who I would say is even in competition with Steele for the best performance of the year in the SEC is Chief.  Choosing between those two will be tough, because A&M's D has sucked for quite some time.

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

The only D coordinator who I would say is even in competition with Steele for the best performance of the year in the SEC is Chief.  Choosing between those two will be tough, because A&M's D has sucked for quite some time.

Chief has been there for two seasons though.  This is Steele's first.  So with that in mind I would still give the credit to Steele.  I am curious to see how they do next year without Garrett.

24 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

He has done a very good job but the cup was not bare so I don't think he took something no one wanted. I'm glad we have jmo

Beat me to it.

I like the confidence and control that CKS displays. The players have bought into his system and are working hard to follow his methods. He has motivated them to take pride in their own personal development and I think that is his key to success. Besides, a guy who loved Auburn and wore Pat Sullivan's iconic # 7 on his football jersey when he played football as a kid gets extra credit in my book!

24 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Chief has been there for two seasons though.  This is Steele's first.  So with that in mind I would still give the credit to Steele.  I am curious to see how they do next year without Garrett.

That's right... I forgot that they stole him last year.  Yup.  Steele wins.

I'm really pleased with job Steele has done to this point,hope they continue to improve and become a dominate defense.Is Steele helping coach the linebackers?

1 hour ago, VipersStrike1 said:

Wait, didn't Steele give up 770 points in a Bowl game a few decades ago?

Seriously, that ONE game was the oft given reason many loathed this hire.

Clemson fans saying the were going to drop 80 on us because Steele was our DC. If only we'd had our offense together...

1 hour ago, VipersStrike1 said:

Wait, didn't Steele give up 770 points in a Bowl game a few decades ago?

Seriously, that ONE game was the oft given reason many loathed this hire.

I thought it was more based on how he's been good but not great most places he's been. And considering the shape our D had been in over the past 8 years, I think we all felt like we needed a *great* DC to help us just to get us to a respectable point.

He's been doing a fantastic job so far.

4 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I thought it was more based on how he's been good but not great most places he's been. And considering the shape our D had been in over the past 8 years, I think we all felt like we needed a *great* DC to help us just to get us to a respectable point.

He's been doing a fantastic job so far.

Correct. Steele has never had a great D anywhere. 

Perhaps that "Jimmy's and Joe's" phrase actually does contain merit. 

1 hour ago, kd4au said:

Is Steele helping coach the linebackers?

Travis Williams is.  In an interview before the season, Travis said that most coordinators come in and take over the position group they are really good at.  Travis went on to say that was not the case with Steele.  That Steele let him loose on how he wanted to coach, that he doesn't feel like someone is looming over his shoulder.  A great leader knows how to delegate and not micromanage and I see that here with Steele.

5 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

Correct. Steele has never had a great D anywhere. 

Perhaps that "Jimmy's and Joe's" phrase actually does contain merit. 

I'm not sure how to dissect it actually. LSU's talent on D last year was on par with what they've seemingly always had (modern era) and they actually took a step backwards over there with him in charge. To be honest though I don't even care about that I'm just glad he's doing a bang up job so far at AU.

4 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I'm not sure how to dissect it actually. LSU's talent on D last year was on par with what they've seemingly always had (modern era) and they actually took a step backwards over there with him in charge. To be honest though I don't even care about that I'm just glad he's doing a bang up job so far at AU.

Could it have been Miles hindering Steele last year vs Gus letting him do his thing this year? Whatever is going on, it's good and we need consistency so I hope he stays happy and stays put. 

5 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Was only a minor step backwards from 2014 to 2015 in total defense. 7 points in scoring defense. 

I don't know LSU's critical attrition from 14 to 15, but that could be a reason. 

With this being Lawson's and Adams' last season, I expect our total & scoring defense stats to take a similar step backwards next season. So again, Jimmy's and Joe's. 

While Steele has done really well, you have to admit that AU has some of the best talent on defense in the league.  Easily #3 (if not #2 behind bammer).  Marlon Davidson, Mon Adams, Carl Lawson, Rudy Ford, Carlton Davis, Deshaun Davis, just to name a few.  Those guys would start for almost any team in the league.  AU is so deep on the DL that we have the #1 recruit in the country playing 2nd string.

It's not all Steele and I think he would admit that.  However, it's not all the players, either.  There has been definite improvement this season with (mostly) the same roster.  I don't think we can underestimate how important Davidson has been in freeing up Mon Adams and we can't underestimate how important Davis, the two Williams' and Atkinson have been at LB.  Most of them were here last year, but were freshmen. To me, that's the biggest difference -- LB play and Davidson on the D-line.

9 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

With this being Lawson's and Adams' last season, I expect our total & scoring defense stats to take a similar step backwards next season. So again, Jimmy's and Joe's. 

You never know.  Derrick Brown and Marlon Davidson could directly fill their shoes.  They are having an almost identical season that Adams and Lawson had their freshman years.  If Cowart takes a step forward it might be the same same we are seeing this year.  The only thing is Marlon needs to work on a skip for when after he sacks Chad Kelly to win the game in two weeks like Lawson had is famous skip after his sack of Wallace (turn your speakers on for a laugh):

9 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Whatever is going on, it's good and we need consistency so I hope he stays happy and stays put. 

Our D turned the corner last season during the A&M game. 

Even after Boom left, it maintained its course in the Bowl game. 

It's still maintaining course with its 3rd guy in charge since the 2015 A&M game. 

Again, Jimmy's and Joe's. 

11 minutes ago, AcUmen said:

To me, that's the biggest difference -- LB play and Davidson on the D-line.

100% agreed. 

Plus this D turned the corner during the 2015 A&M game. 

The additions of LBs and Davidson have made the D complete. 

Also Holsey and Matthews have stepped their game up dramatically. 

Jimmys and Joes applies to coaches as well as players. It's all about the mix. The recipe ingredients can be added and mixed differently and you can go from delicious to disaster if you don't know what you're doing. 

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

Travis Williams is.  In an interview before the season, Travis said that most coordinators come in and take over the position group they are really good at.  Travis went on to say that was not the case with Steele.  That Steele let him loose on how he wanted to coach, that he doesn't feel like someone is looming over his shoulder.  A great leader knows how to delegate and not micromanage and I see that here with Steele.

Thanks,if T-Will is doing all the lber coaching by himself he is doing a very good job for his first year coaching.

6 minutes ago, kd4au said:

Thanks,if T-Will is doing all the lber coaching by himself he is doing a very good job for his first year coaching.

Coaching and recruiting. He's getting it done. 

Archived