***Auburn vs. Alabama A&M - Game Thread***

RunInRed

2 minutes ago, j0hnnyRingo said:

Already in FG range.

So...outside our own 40? :)  (Seriously though, I think DC could hit 'em at a 40-50 percent clip from the oppoents 45 yard line. Yep...62 yarders.)

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

No, what I'm saying is I didn't hear it but was being sarcastic about the quality of the broadcasting duo.  I'm quite sure they wouldn't make stuff up but I wouldn't put it past them to misinterpret or make a mistake.  Mostly I was just commenting on the lack of quality in their broadcasting.

Out of likes for the day, but I hear ya!

War Eagle!

The offense is playing well considering the multiple number of injuries. however it is evident that our running game will be non existent next week unless we have Pettway. Johnson is adequate but he isn't the answer 

I heard Gene Stallings on ESPN radio a couple of nights ago and he was very critical of SEC teams playing FCS schools like A&M, UT-Chattanooga, UTSA, etc. He made the point that these schools are basically shortchanging their fans when they play schools like these. Watching this game, I tend to agree with him. I would just as soon watch a scrimmage.

My first year at AU was 1983. Our non-conference opponents were Southern Miss, Texas, FSU, Ga. Tech, and Maryland (who had Boomer Esiason). My how times have changed. 

13 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

I don't agree with that call.  He led with his shoulder and hit Williams shoulder.  It was a blind sided block but it wasn't above the shoulders.

Yep. It wasn't helmet to helmet and the A&M player turned his head and didn't lead with the crown of his helmet, he led with his shoulder. He hit Williams in the chest/shoulder, not the head/helmet. It was a missed call. I hope this officiating crew doesn't call anymore games for us. I'd hate for them to make bad calls that go against us in future games. Fortunately, most of the bad calls tonight have went our way though.

1 minute ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Yep. It wasn't helmet to helmet and the A&M player turned his head and didn't lead with the crown of his helmet. He hit Williams in the chest/shoulder, not the head/helmet. It was a missed call. I hope this officiating crew doesn't call anymore games for us. I'd hate for them to make bad calls that go against us in future games. Fortunately, most of the bad calls tonight have went our way though.

Officials disagree. Replay officials disagree. SEC consulting officials disagree. There is more to the rule than that. Not saying the rule as written is a great rule or not subject to error, but in this instance, I think the "defenseless player" bit definitely applies.

4 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Yep. It wasn't helmet to helmet and the A&M player turned his head and didn't lead with the crown of his helmet. He hit Williams in the chest/shoulder, not the head/helmet. It was a missed call. I hope this officiating crew doesn't call anymore games for us. I'd hate for them to make bad calls that go against us in future games. Fortunately, most of the bad calls tonight have went our way though.

Well the head official is an ex bama qb so............

1 minute ago, CleCoTiger said:

bammer up 24-3 on UTC in the 4th quarter. bammer currently has 253 total offensive yards. $aban is obviously a bum!

First time all year I have seen bama completely unmotivated. Hurts not impressive throwing at all. Take away their run game and they become very pedestrian offensively.

1 minute ago, CleCoTiger said:

Officials disagree. Replay officials disagree. SEC consulting officials disagree. There is more to the rule than that. Not saying the rule as written is a great rule or not subject to error, but in this instance, I think the "defenseless player" bit definitely applies.

you are absolutely right that officials disagree.  It happens more often than the casual fan realizes.   defenseless player, absolutely, but there wasn't any contact above the shoulders to make it a targeting infraction, IMO. 

14 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

First true miss for him.  Dang it. 

For some reason I'm glad he got that out of the way tonight.  If he lines up to win the Iron Bowl next week I will feel better that he has already missed one and its out of his system lol.

11 minutes ago, Dan-0 said:

I heard Gene Stallings on ESPN radio a couple of nights ago and he was very critical of SEC teams playing FCS schools like A&M, UT-Chattanooga, UTSA, etc. He made the point that these schools are basically shortchanging their fans when they play schools like these. Watching this game, I tend to agree with him. I would just as soon watch a scrimmage.

My first year at AU was 1983. Our non-conference opponents were Southern Miss, Texas, FSU, Ga. Tech, and Maryland (who had Boomer Esiason). My how times have changed. 

I bet you walked to campus up hill both ways in 12 feet of snow. You sit next to Susan B Anthony?? 

13 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

But "defenseless player" falls under targeting. Targeting is contact above the shoulders to the head or neck area, or leading with the crown of the helmet, neither of which occured on the hit. Since there wasn't targeting, he shouldn't have been a "defenseless player" by rule. If I'm misinterpreting that then WarTiger is more than welcome to correct me,

https://www.afca.com/article/article.php?id=2342

Targeting and Initiating Contact to Head or Neck Area of a Defenseless Player  (Rule 9-1-4)

No player shall target and initiate contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent with the helmet, forearm, fist, elbow or shoulder. When in question, it is a foul. 

Archived