Opining all things Gus (Merged)

tigerbrotha12

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, aujeff11 said:

No, I countered with: "The offense wasn't struggling that bad against Vandy with JF3. PFF even graded JF3 as better than SW that game."

So now you're cherry picking my arguments.

A normal reading of those two sentences makes a connection between the "offense not struggling" and JF3's PFF grade.  

The first part isn't even true - we were absolutely sucking wind after the opening drive which is why Sean came in even with a bum shoulder to begin with.  And the second part is irrelevant.

Just now, TitanTiger said:

JF3 has a live arm.  So does JJ.  Sean is clearly better than either.

You point to the extremes to make a point. :-\ Those two wouldn't be serviceable at Troy much less here. This convo is over. I'm not calling ISIS Daesh just for your own satisfaction.

Just now, aujeff11 said:

You point to the extremes to make a point. :-\ Those two wouldn't be serviceable at Troy much less here. This convo is over. I'm not calling ISIS Daesh just for your own satisfaction.

I'm just using your argument.  If anyone is exaggerating, it is you.  Sorry that I used two perfect and current examples to eviscerate it.

And I removed the ISIS/Daesh filter months ago you whinesack.

Still don't think it is time for a change right now. I think with the talent, full stable of recruited players from Malzahn, and his prized DT QB, 2017 is his judgement year. I'm giving him another year because honestly, he's never had a losing season at auburn. He's been to bowl games every year. I'd hate to let that go and us take 2-3 more years to build the program again. However, if he can't get it done in 2017, it's time.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

They did... and he broke his arm getting us a first down to put us in scoring position.

But he didn't get the first down, b/c he got tagged.  Had to score on a 4th and 2 run by Cox.

8 minutes ago, autigersj said:

You guys are worse than a Jeremy Johnson INT into double coverage...

Good one! :lol:

But that ain't as bad as a pass out of the CoxCat. ;D

11 hours ago, DC4AU04 said:

I enjoyed seeing OU creatively put their playmakers in space with the ball.  

Like when JF came in the game and they slide a LB outside to basically force him to give it??  

1 minute ago, Gowebb11 said:

I understand your perspective, but will have to respectfully embrace differing opinions on this. It is a coaching staffs responsibility to properly evaluate and develop talent. Otherwise we are paying all of them way too much. We've had serious deficiencies at QB for several years now, 2010 and 2013 being exceptions. You will be hard pressed to find anyone heap praise on this staffs ability to recruit and develop top QBs. There is no rhyme or reason to their recruiting. JJ is a big bodied guy with below average footwork. Sean White is a good passer but small and frail. JF3 had one other offer: Buffalo. T Queen is neither a fleet runner nor able to stay healthy. Strong rumors indicate WB has great dual threat skills but has poor work habits. Anyone can miss on one or two of those, but all 5? And I didn't even touch on Clint Mosley, Barret Trotter, Jonathan Wallace, or Khiel Frazier(Gus had some role in working with all of them) And it doesn't stop at QB. Pettway got zero carries last year and zero versus Clemson.  Craig-Myers had 4 catches this year. Leff warmed the bench 4 years and the NFL considers him a highly ranked prospect. Increasing evidence points to this staff being deficient in evaluating and developing talent. I hope 2017 is different but I'm very concerned. War Eagle always, though. 

I just find it funny that people act like Auburn is alone in this area.  How many quality back-up QBs does LSU have?  How about bama? A&M? Georgia? Ole Miss. Just this year, A&M and Ole Miss fell apart when they lost their starter. Unless their freshman is ready to go out of the gate, next year, bama is screwed if Hurts goes down. 

I blame Gus for Franklin... that was a bad roll of the dice and there's no two ways about it. I don't blame him for Queen... he had no control over his injuries. I don't blame him for Jeremy... everyone who saw him play, across the board, saw superstar. Some guys just can't make it happen under the lights. Finally, I give him credit for Sean, who lead the SEC in passing efficiency and yards per attempt, is a great leader, and is tough as nails. Yes, he gets injured a lot, but no coach can predict that.  I also see that Stidham chose Auburn. Gatewood, who is highly sought after is extremely high on Auburn. So either these highly rated QBs are stupid, or they know more about the capabilities of our coaches than a bunch of message board posters.

As for the rest, Pettway got 0 carries last year because he was playing H-back to fill a gaping hole in our O. And the Clemson game was a mess, top to bottom (something else I blame Gus for). I'm not sure where you get that Leff is highly rated by the NFL, unless you are listening to those Pro Football Focus guys.  He's currently ranked as a middle of the pack OT and expected to go free agent, if that.

One thing I wish people would realize is that we might know a tenth of what the coaches know about the capabilities of our players, how they perform in practice, how quickly they pick things up, how open they are to instruction, etc. 

9 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I'm just using your argument

To say any QB with a live arm is more effective than SW and being given a retort of "but JF3" is like when your teenage daughter says: No boys at school like me and then you say "your brother goes to school with you and he likes you."

JF3 is obviously more of a liability than a QB. Don't be a knucklehead.

2 minutes ago, tgr4lfe said:

But he didn't get the first down, b/c he got tagged.  Had to score on a 4th and 2 run by Cox.

You're right... my mistake.  I didn't get much sleep last night, so I'm a little fuzzy on details. Still drove the team down the field.  Made 2 over 10 yard throws to keep the drive going and put his body on the line to try to punch it in, leading us to that score.

The first three games we were still playing experimentation games.  The Cox Cat was still considered part of our offense.  The offense was a mess.  It wasn't until the LSU game that we fully committed to one QB:  Sean White.

This is my biggest concern with Gus. We start each season with no clue of what we have on offense. It's like he's learning both football and his personnel.

Just now, lionheartkc said:

You're right... my mistake.  I didn't get much sleep last night, so I'm a little fuzzy on details. Still drove the team down the field.  Made 2 over 10 yard throws to keep the drive going and put his body on the line to try to punch it in, leading us to that score.

Those throws and that dive trying to get the first down, got him knocked out of the game and ensured an AU loss.  Great effort, but sometimes gotta think of the greater good of the team and protect yourself.  Likely wouldn't have won with him staying in, as SW was at best 70-80% healthy, but it might have been closer than it was without him.  

1 hour ago, gr82b4au said:

Completely disagree. He should have gone for it. OK was going to score anyway at that point. We could not stop them. 

We see it differently...that's fine.

At what point do we get to tell Titan and Jeff to take it to the PMs? This is worse than last nights performance!  =)

Just now, aujeff11 said:

Saying any QB with a live arm is more effective than SW and being given a retort like "but JF3" is like when your teenage daughter says: No boys at school like me and then you say "your brother goes to school with you and he likes you."

JF3 is obviously more of a liability than a QB. Don't be a knucklehead.

List of Auburn QBs in the last 20 years who are/were not more effective than Sean White:

JF3
JJ
Clint Moseley
Barrett Trotter
Kodi Burns
Daniel Cobb
Jason Campbell any time his first 2-3 years at Auburn

Chris Todd is on the fence because while he put up great numbers, it's hard to gauge how much he benefitted from the HUNH being a relatively new thing amongst major football programs.

List of Auburn QBs Sean isn't more effective than (last 20 years):

Cam
Nick Marshall
Brandon Cox
Jason Campbell (later years at AU)
Ben Leard (his JR and SR years)
Dameyune Craig
Patrick Nix

At least five of this latter group were record breaking QBs for Auburn at the time they played.  

It's not my fault you make a statement that can't stand up to even basic scrutiny.

Now is this convo over or not?

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

List of Auburn QBs in the last 20 years who are/were not more effective than Sean White:

JF3
JJ
Clint Moseley
Barrett Trotter
Kodi Burns
Daniel Cobb
Jason Campbell any time his first 2-3 years at Auburn

SW= Savage!!?

7 minutes ago, tgr4lfe said:

Those throws and that dive trying to get the first down, got him knocked out of the game and ensured an AU loss.  Great effort, but sometimes gotta think of the greater good of the team and protect yourself.  Likely wouldn't have won with him staying in, as SW was at best 70-80% healthy, but it might have been closer than it was without him.  

Not sure where everyone gets the 70-80% healthy stuff.  He was playing his game and looking good until the pain set in from the break.  I do agree he should have slid on that run, but he knew we needed that yardage on 3rd. He does throw caution to the wind too much for his and the team's own good.

I think if Sean stays healthy and in the game, its A LOT closer and we potentially pull out the win. The one variable is that Baker kid that no one could tackle... and a little help from the refs on a handful of plays (waiving the pick flag when he was definitely on the LOS, no call on the intentional grounding, unnecessary roughness when there was no way we could have known he had stepped out, no targeting review on the helmet to helmet tackle on Pettway, and I'm still not sure that trick play where it looked like no one was set should have been legal... plus they could have called unsportsmanlike at least a couple more times... those Oklahoma kids are far from classy).

3 hours ago, tombigbeetiger said:

'We are a downhill running, play-action offense!!!!! ...and thats all i have to say about that!!!!!!!!!".......

When the other team allows it.    

Just now, aujeff11 said:

SW= Savage!!?

As I said, I never claimed he was the bestest ever.  I simply said our offense was effective/very good with him at QB.  It could have been even better with a better/more durable QB than him.  But it was still quite good.  For the past two seasons the difference in an offense that could move the ball and score points vs one that couldn't score vs a wet napkin at Auburn has been one guy:  Sean.  That's just a fact.  Sorry you can only swing from one end of the spectrum to the other with zero nuance.

2 hours ago, selias said:

Need to keep Malzahn until we have a new University President in place and Jacobs is shown the door. We need a President that understands both academics and athletics are important. We need an AD that understands he's running a multi-million dollar business and not a club for choir boys and good ol' boys

I am afraid that if  Jacobs is left to hire another coach Ted Roof will be incharge in 2018

Archived