Opining all things Gus (Merged)

tigerbrotha12

I think in a Bowl game when you see that the other Off. is getting closer each time you have to go for it. I said at the time we had to go for it because #1 we needed to keep the ball away from them as long as possible and #2 it had become obvious we were going to have to score a lot more points to win. I'm not as big of a critic as many about Gus but in a Bowl game with nothing to lose to a team that on paper should wipe you from the field you have to take chances and we didn't do it.     

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry but I don't want Jacobs hiring another football coach. Let's get a new University President in place and go from there

I am normally the last guy to call for a change. Gus wasn't my first choice but,... i have defended him to myself and to my friends and family until now. An earlier post stated that the punt on fourth and inches summed up Gus. i have to agree. There was no way we want to give the ball up then. Mayfield was dissecting us. I knew right then the game was lost. I have a couple of close friends that were position coaches at Auburn in the late 70's and early 80's these guys coached under a similar situation. They are die hard Auburn fans to this day. Excellent coaches who really know football.  They are telling me it's time for a change. As much as I hate to say it, I finally agree. 

8 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Yea I got that impression... especially after his denying knowledge of DeDe's pre-recruitment antics and his handling of Mixon. 

Outta likes, but yeah, what you said

Too much is being made of this. Even if we went for it & got it, based on what we were capable of on offense, there was probably about a 95% chance we would be punting 3 plays later anyway. Bottom line was we couldnt move the ball in the second half nor could we stop them. I dont see this one play changing any of that.

10 hours ago, AUTiger2012 said:

I see many people giving their perspective on the bowl game, so i hope you will allow me to give you mine.

Sean white could be a good starter for us, but apparently he is made of glass.  Love his attitude, effort, and passion for Auburn but he just breaks too easily.

JF3 has no business as a qb.  He just is not accurate enough.

Jeremy is still just Jeremy.  No cinderella story there.

I thought the OL played fairly well.

The receivers need someone to get them the ball, and it would be nice to see a few more sustained blockes for the rbs.

Rbs did what they could.

Carl lawson rushed himself out of almost every play.

The rest of the dl were ok, got pushed around some late, but we had issues wrappinwrapping up.

Our safeties are not very good at pass coverage.  Roberts hits like a truck, and is consistently out of position.  Matthews is 2 steps too slow all the time.  

Cbs played ok.  Sometimes got burned by Dede, but we knew that was going to happen.

Lbs were pretty good in the first half.  Not so much in the second.  We did not stay at home as well as we needed to, and the cutback lanes killed us.

What do you think?

Oh yeah and while the game had been pretty much decided by that point,there was some ... Questionable refereeing in that second half.

Agree with everything but the o-line,was not impressed by their play and Lawson is either overrated or under coached you decide,he gave up the edge all night long.

14 hours ago, Never2Yield said:

We started well and ended well, just need to fix the problems in the middle.

I think if Stidham comes in and does the job that he is expected to do, 2017 will be the kind of season that will get us back in the hunt for playing for the SEC West and beyond. If 2017 goes south fast, then it is time for a staff change. PJ Fleck would be the guy to go after. His team played well all season and nearly won their bowl game. I guess it will not hurt to start the new HC talk. This is something we can play with for a while being that 2016 is dead and gone. Recruiting is the big discussion now. I am sure folks will start chiming in on this.

I really thought that we had a decent chance of winning the game last night. Oklahoma is a much better team than I gave them credit for. I wish Gus could lure Lincoln Riley away from Oklahoma. That would be awesome. Riley will be a HC soon enough kind of in the mold of Tom Herman.

1 hour ago, vhsandaufan said:

That can be seen by the type of pass plays that were called when he was in the game compared to ones called when JJ was in the game.

There was no difference in the pass play calling between Sean and Jeremy. They even called a deep pass for Sean. Unfortunately by that point, his arm was already gone, and it was the worst pass he's thrown in an Auburn uniform. 

How do you Sean haters not understand "highest rated in yards per attempt in the SEC"?

Sean is going to be THE reason that we aren't worried about Stidham getting hurt next year.

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

There was no difference in the pass play calling between Sean and Jeremy. They even called a deep pass for Sean. Unfortunately by that point, his arm was already gone, and it was the worst pass he's thrown in an Auburn uniform. 

How do you Sean haters not understand "highest rated in yards per attempt in the SEC"?

Sean is going to be THE reason that we aren't worried about Stidham getting hurt next year.

I don't think it's about hating on SW. But, unfortunately, we saw the performance Baker Mayfield put on last night and the contrast between the two is embarrassing. SW could be a serviceable backup but nothing more, nothing that could ever take us to the next level. Having said that, that's not all on him, lack of coaching and injuries have played a part of it but it is what it is.

4 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Nobody is going to think about SW If JS lives up to all the hype. Rarely does a backup QB get any pub, unless the starter just blows. 

10 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

So we are haters? His longest pass play all year was 48 yards and I'm not even assuming all of that was in the air. Last year, SW's long was 47 yards. Our third string QB threw a 59 yard pass last night in comparison. Might as well accept that SW cannot throw the deep ball.

He isn't leading that category either. Hell JF3 has a longer YPA than Sean. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

What do you know about Barrett that nobody else does?

I know that the current quarterbacks either can't run the offense AU likes to run, doesn't know the offense AU likes to run, can't consistently throw the ball down the field without falling to the ground or can stay healthy long enough to be a factor against the big boys.

Just now, vhsandaufan said:

I know that the current quarterbacks either can't run the offense AU likes to run, doesn't know the offense AU likes to run, can't consistently throw the ball down the field without falling to the ground or can stay healthy long enough to be a factor against the big boys.

Let's pretend I agree with all of that. Which one of those does Woody do better? 

3 hours ago, AUcivE09 said:

Did you know Buffalo Wild Wings use to be called Buffalo Wild Wings and Weck? This is how the BW3 shorthand came about and exist even today. The name was officially changed in 1998.

Didn't know that! Nice fun fact of the day :big:

Just now, WarEagle1983 said:

Didn't know that! Nice fun fact of the day :big:

We needed something productive - you are welcome!  =)

I thought this is fitting for "time for a change topic":  it's time to change 95% of the broadcaster and commentators.  These people get paid a lot of money to say stupid stuff.

Brent Mustyburger made an arse out of himself (*again) on national television defending mixon and not saying a word about the girl who got her face broken.  He handled it poorly.  It is time for him to head off with Verne Lundquist and all the other hasbeens who make the football watching experience unbearable. 

2 hours ago, AUcivE09 said:

At what point do we get to tell Titan and Jeff to take it to the PMs? This is worse than last nights performance!  =)

time for a change?

I heard that too. He sounded like a message board poster. "I was right with what I said and if you dont agree you are stupid."

1 hour ago, WDavE said:

One of the issues that bothers me the most is that teams are now using the the guy in motion to time their rushes from the outside. If just once or twice a game we would let the guy in motion clear the QB it would be a 5 yard penalty every time.

That's how the ends and others are getting to the ball carrier in the backfield from the outside.

Out of likes but YES. Been yelling this for a while now. Somebody is gonna get hurt some day with how easy it is to time the snap and just tee off

Didn't Lawson come close to getting Nick Fairley's sack record? Maybe I was blinded by bliss but Nick Fairley's season seemed far more dominant than Lawson's this year

Archived