Opining all things Gus (Merged)

tigerbrotha12

He can buy a whole lot of Waffle House meals with that dough...never mind, I forgot, he only goes there after winning

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, WeagleAU said:

I thought this is fitting for "time for a change topic":  it's time to change 95% of the broadcaster and commentators.  These people get paid a lot of money to say stupid stuff.

Brent Mustyburger made an arse out of himself (*again) on national television defending mixon and not saying a word about the girl who got her face broken.  He handled it poorly.  It is time for him to head off with Verne Lundquist and all the other hasbeens who make the football watching experience unbearable.

Brent handles a lot of things badly. Mixon overreacted, but she should also have never placed her hands on him. My parents raised 3 boys and my mom was adamant to never let anyone male or female put their hands on us. I know she would not want us to overreact either. Brent should not have even brought the subject either.

2 minutes ago, Dan-0 said:

I don't think it's about hating on SW. But, unfortunately, we saw the performance Baker Mayfield put on last night and the contrast between the two is embarrassing. SW could be a serviceable backup but nothing more, nothing that could ever take us to the next level. Having said that, that's not all on him, lack of coaching and injuries have played a part of it but it is what it is.

Baker Mayfield is arguably the best quarterback in the NCAA and a Heisman finalist. Comparing him to nearly every QB in the league is going to make them look bad. 

Speculating that Sean couldn't take us to the next level is ludicrous, considering all opinions are based on him being hurt. We were on track to win the SEC with him at the helm until he got hurt, and any assumptions that he couldn't have beaten bama are just that, assumptions. He easily drove down the field against Oklahoma, again, until he got hurt. Is he the best QB in the NCAA, no, but relegating the QB that lead the league in efficiency and yards per attempt to "serviceable backup" is well... something I can't say in polite company.

2 minutes ago, vhsandaufan said:

I don't play pretend. So what do you not agree with?

Haha, wow, cool. No worries if you don't care to answer the question, there's no obligation to. 

But since I led with a question, I don't mind answering yours. I disagree with everything you said in the previous post but the last part. I can't really vouch for Sean's durability anymore. 

7 minutes ago, WeagleAU said:

I thought this is fitting for "time for a change topic":  it's time to change 95% of the broadcaster and commentators.  These people get paid a lot of money to say stupid stuff.

Brent Mustyburger made an arse out of himself (*again) on national television defending mixon and not saying a word about the girl who got her face broken.  He handled it poorly.  It is time for him to head off with Verne Lundquist and all the other hasbeens who make the football watching experience unbearable. 

AGREED!  Musburger should be forced to retire after standing up for the woman beater and then getting offended when people called him out for it and doubling down.  Many other's should be sent packing just for being unacceptably uninformed about what they are commenting on, and several others for blatant bias in their broadcasts.

11 minutes ago, vhsandaufan said:

Brent handles a lot of things badly. 

Agreed. 

At a minimum, he shouldn't have been openly cheering for the guy to have a great NFL career. What about all the guys, on both teams probably, who visit kids in hospitals? Or who do other things beyond apologizing for putting a woman in the hospital? 

I remember in preseason, there was a poster or two who said SW reminded them of Baker Mayfield. 

15 minutes ago, Dan-0 said:

I don't think it's about hating on SW. But, unfortunately, we saw the performance Baker Mayfield put on last night and the contrast between the two is embarrassing. SW could be a serviceable backup but nothing more, nothing that could ever take us to the next level. Having said that, that's not all on him, lack of coaching and injuries have played a part of it but it is what it is.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

I remember in preseason, there was a poster or two who said SW reminded them of Baker Mayfield. 

Bird...

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Haha, wow, cool. No worries if you don't care to answer the question, there's no obligation to.

But since I led with a question, I don't mind answering yours. I disagree with everything you said in the previous post but the last part. I can't really vouch for Sean's durability anymore.

The things in the post were not all directed at White. They were a myriad of issues with the current quarterbacks. When JJ wasn't living up to the hype, he was pulled for an unproven SW. I have a similar question for you. What has SW done to keep the job ahead of Woody Barrett?

4 minutes ago, vhsandaufan said:

Brent handles a lot of things badly. Mixon overreacted, but she should also have never placed her hands on him. My parents raised 3 boys and my mom was adamant to never let anyone male or female put their hands on us. I know she would not want us to overreact either. Brent should not have even brought the subject either.

Overreacted?  Overreacted?  He broke a girls jaw and then ran away like a coward. I don't care if the girl freaking kicked him in the nuts, you don't hit a girl... period... and you don't hit ANYONE hard enough to break bones unless they are trying to kill you.  That is what they call aggravated assault. His butt should be in jail, not counting the days until he gets his NFL paycheck.

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

I was the one saying that was ludicrous.

I don't know If I said that was ludicrous like you did but I definitely disagreed. I still feel his ceiling is Brandon Allen, but I digress...just thought it was interesting of the comparison of the two, but then we saw it live.

2 hours ago, 1auburn1 said:

"Obviously right now I've got a locker room full of disappointed players," Malzahn said after the game, "but I think we were picked last or next to last in the SEC. We played a very tough schedule. We had some tough injuries."

And THIS P.O's me to no end.   The fact that the HC would point to the fact that we didn't suck as bad as most thought we would shows that his expectations of himself and the program aren't where they need to be.

Thank you for pointing this out. It was apparent he also thought we would be in the bottom of our division with the way we played Clemson. Like winning the game was just not one of the goals of the game because we were playing Clemson. And why would a coach use any media prognostication as a barometer? What a ******* joke

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

Overreacted?  Overreacted?  He broke a girls jaw and then ran away like a coward. I don't care if the girl freaking kicked him in the nuts, you don't hit a girl... period... and you don't hit ANYONE hard enough to break bones unless they are trying to kill you.  That is what they call aggravated assault. His butt should be in jail, not counting the days until he gets his NFL paycheck.

He overreacted, he broke 4 bones in her face.  She also should never laid her hands on him. What is interesting is that the only case against him is a civil suit.

Just now, vhsandaufan said:

He overreacted, he broke 4 bones in her face.  She also should never laid her hands on him. What is interesting is that the only case against him is a civil suit.

Yea... that is interesting.  Speaks to the corruption in college football, where a cut and dry case of assault is swept under the carpet because a kid can run a football. 

Breaking 4 bones in someone's face is not overreacting. It's a felony. Overreacting would have been a open handed slap or even pushing her down.

SW may have been a serviceable QB but since he was always injured all of the back and forth doesn't really matter. I knew as soon as I saw him leaving the game that it was over for Auburn. I'm sure most of did as well. Best case JS is great and we all are glad we have a great back up in SW. Why else do you bring JS in??

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Yea... that is interesting.  Speaks to the corruption in college football, where a cut and dry case of assault is swept under the carpet because a kid can run a football. 

Breaking 4 bones in someone's face is not overreacting. It's a felony. Overreacting would have been a open handed slap or even pushing her down.

That's not a felony.

11 minutes ago, vhsandaufan said:

The things in the post were not all directed at White. They were a myriad of issues with the current quarterbacks. When JJ wasn't living up to the hype, he was pulled for an unproven SW. I have a similar question for you. What has SW done to keep the job ahead of Woody Barrett?

Sorry to intrude (or, at least probably will be very shortly), but

Mr. White has at least won the job in the first place.

May well, of course, have little relevance in the keeping of it.

We are in the absolutely horrible predicament of knowing we need to get rid of Gus to even give us a shot to be a better program BUT I think most of us know that Stidham is to good next year (if he stays healthy) for us to have the record it will take to can Gus. I honestly see no worse than 8-4 with a full year of a healthy stidham. Could be a lot better as well. I have absolutely NO IDEA why there is even just 1 gus defender out of any Auburn fan and alums. You do not get WORSE each your on your side of the ball if you are truly a good coach worth a dang. He is basically chizik 2.0 where his side of the ball is the main reason for our failures the last couple of seasons. We were sold a bag of goods on him. He does not evolve. The best offensive minds are constantly looking to incorporate new ideas new schemes new wrinkles in to their "system" Not gus. Same ol sh*t different season. In his perfect world every game would be like the Arkansas game this season and the Rocky top game in knoxville in 2013 where we can run the same 3 or 4 plays or so and win handidly. Sorry it does not work that way against a legit defense gustav. Unfortunately for us Gus is just one of many problems at Auburn. We have a culture problem. We have a AD problem. We had a apathetic towards football and other sports President that is on his way out. This board of trustees does not care as much about sports as the old regime. We have so many things going wrong for us that gus is just 1 of many problems. Say gus by some miracle gets fired this week. Do we really want a guy who hired a 5-19 coach to be making ANOTHER hire?! At this rate with his track record we would be hiring Paul Rhodes. Our only hope is a new President who comes in with sweeping changes and hires a real OUTSIDER AD for once who actually is ya know QUALIFIED to run a multi million dollar organization that is Auburn athletics.

Archived