Opining all things Gus (Merged)

tigerbrotha12

3 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

No OC or HC can work with JF3 at QB. It makes sense that Gus looked like a deer in headlights. The scripted plays of the first series worked and it cost him his QB. How can a HC or OC hide a QB? Riddle me that.

Is that not getting through to anyone?

You're kidding right?  You're telling me that GM had no inkling that SW might not finish the game after watching him get hurt the last two years (and I would also say knowing he wasn't close to 100% coming into this game)?  So GM doesn't have anything ready if SW goes out. Nothing except excuses that JF3 can't throw, and JJ can't read a defense?  Unbelievable.

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

For the past two seasons the difference in an offense that could move the ball and score points vs one that couldn't score vs a wet napkin at Auburn has been one guy:  Sean.  

The past two years? Hell, last year, SW only threw one TD. Maybe your problem is that you put QBs that can score against a wet napkin on a pedestal.

5 hours ago, AU64 said:

absolutely....said so at the time....not going for it in a bowl game showed lack of guts.....and lack of confidence in the team. 

The more money he makes, the more conservative he has gotten.....to the point that most of us (and our opponents) could write his game plan for him.

Nailed it

"Obviously right now I've got a locker room full of disappointed players," Malzahn said after the game, "but I think we were picked last or next to last in the SEC. We played a very tough schedule. We had some tough injuries."

And THIS P.O's me to no end.   The fact that the HC would point to the fact that we didn't suck as bad as most thought we would shows that his expectations of himself and the program aren't where they need to be.

I don't understand why you guys are surprised or upset by this.  Every program has incentives like this.  Alabama was paid $17,000,000 in their Sugar Bowl loss to Oklahoma in 2014. Pro football is the same way.  Coaches and players alike are paid incentives for hitting certain marks.  It's not the "Auburn way."  It's the "football way."

1 hour ago, Eagle Eye said:

We should give Malzahn time.  

What do you call 5 years (cause he'll be back next year)?  Or are you thinking more along the lines of Triassic period, Cenozoic era, etc?

The only quarterback competition next year should be between Stidham and Barrett. SW may have been the best AU had the last 2 years but he is still is a liability. Does not provide a consistent downfield passing threat. That can be seen by the type of pass plays that were called when he was in the game compared to ones called when JJ was in the game. To win against the big boys you need a quarterback that has the ability to beat you downfield through the air, not one who can complete 77% of passes when most of them are  just the wide receiver screens, pop passes, swing passes and this thing where a receiver comes in motion and you flip it forward to him. Let's not forget the fact that he is fragile, not as bad as Sam Bowie but keep him back there long enough and he will pass Sam

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

I don't understand why you guys are surprised or upset by this.  Every program has incentives like this.  Alabama was paid $17,000,000 in their Sugar Bowl loss to Oklahoma in 2014. Pro football is the same way.  Coaches and players alike are paid incentives for hitting certain marks.  It's not the "Auburn way."  It's the "football way."

People are upset period. Just let them vent.

7 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

The past two years? Hell, last year, SW only threw one TD. Maybe your problem is that you put QBs that can score against a wet napkin on a pedestal.

And yet, once again Mr. Can't See the Forest For the Trees, the offense was moving the ball and scoring points with him in there and not moving the ball or scoring points without him.  I don't really get why you aren't comprehending this by now.

So I take it the convo isn't over?

3 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

And yet, once again Mr. Can't See the Forest For the Trees, the offense was moving the ball and scoring points with him in there and not moving the ball or scoring points without him.  I don't really get why you aren't comprehending this by now.

Were we really scoring points last year with SW? I think not...

Youre the board sheriff. You call the conversation over whenever you want too.

14 minutes ago, oposssum said:

Gus needs to go now.  Fire Gus and hire Chip Kelly.

Not gonna happen now, maybe after next year. Hopefully Chip will take a year off and both He and Art could be viable replacements. 

Just now, aujeff11 said:

Were we really scoring points last year with SW? I think not...

Youre the board sheriff. You call the conversation over whenever you want too.

I'm just asking you since you declared it over several posts ago.  Wouldn't want to be seen as crushing dissent or anything.

Again, if you couldn't see the difference in last year's offense with Sean vs the offense with anyone else, I don't know what to tell you.  Just like this year, if Sean doesn't get hurt, you could reasonably add two more wins to our total.  The offense is noticeably more effective with him at the helm.  This year more than last year even.

Hopefully JF3 transfers out.  That is how I am feeling. Hopefully I never have to hear about what SW could've been. That is how I am feeling. In a perfect world, I want JS to take off and a comfortable WB second in line. Of course this isn't reality.

Edit: JF3 is willing to stay and be a teamplayer. I can respect that I guess. Unfortunate I have no faith he will be utilized the right way.

Another ??, but not worthy of it's own thread.

Earlier in the game, 2nd qtr I think, AU has OU in a 2nd & 25 and held for no gain, making it 3rd & 25, but I THINK there was a holding call on OU, making it 2nd & 30-ish...

Can't a holding call be declined?  Why wouldn't you decline, making it 3rd & 25?  3 plays, two dumb AU offsides & 1 pass coverage brainfart later and 3rd & 22 becomes 1st down OU.

I've been bamboozled by the in-game coaching decisions all season.  Why should the Sugar Bowl be any different?

That's typical Gus for ya. He used to be a dynamic playcaller but he is grossly under-qualified in the game managing area to be a HC at a place like AU where he doesn't have the luxury of time to figure it out. 

One of the issues that bothers me the most is that teams are now using the the guy in motion to time their rushes from the outside. If just once or twice a game we would let the guy in motion clear the QB it would be a 5 yard penalty every time.

That's how the ends and others are getting to the ball carrier in the backfield from the outside.

33 minutes ago, vhsandaufan said:

The only quarterback competition next year should be between Stidham and Barrett. SW may have been the best AU had the last 2 years but he is still is a liability. Does not provide a consistent downfield passing threat. 

What do you know about Barrett that nobody else does?

19 minutes ago, DAG said:

Hopefully JF3 transfers out.  That is how I am feeling. Hopefully I never have to hear about what SW could've been. That is how I am feeling. In a perfect world, I was JS to take off and a comfortable WB second in line. Of course this isn't reality.

Edit: JF3 is willing to stay and be a teamplayer. I can respect that I guess. Unfortunate I have no faith he will be utilized the right way.

Probably weren't any decent programs he could transfer to. I mean,  who would take him? Ouachita Baptist University?

32 minutes ago, vhsandaufan said:

The only quarterback competition next year should be between Stidham and Barrett. SW may have been the best AU had the last 2 years but he is still is a liability. Does not provide a consistent downfield passing threat. That can be seen by the type of pass plays that were called when he was in the game compared to ones called when JJ was in the game. To win against the big boys you need a quarterback that has the ability to beat you downfield through the air, not one who can complete 77% of passes when most of them are  just the wide receiver screens, pop passes, swing passes and this thing where a receiver comes in motion and you flip it forward to him. Let's not forget the fact that he is fragile, not as bad as Sam Bowie but keep him back there long enough and he will pass Sam

Ah yes, someone on here who can see beyond boxscores and stats. Well done here! To add to this we need a more and less philosophy to our offense instead of a more or less.

More throwing on 1st down to keep the defense honest with our running game, and more pass attempts over 15 yards.

More utilizing our extremely talented wide receivers coming back next year.

More passes to the tight end and the rb's coming out of the backfield.

More going under center inside the opponent's 5 yard line instead of shotgun.

Less Cox Cat, bubble screens, running on 1st down every series.

Less refusing to change the gameplan in the middle of the game when we are getting it handed to us.

And please no more "we are close" comments from Gus after we lose a game.

32 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'll echo others who have said that it starts at the top over there. 

Yea I got that impression... especially after his denying knowledge of DeDe's pre-recruitment antics and his handling of Mixon. 

Sean White is a nice guy.  With that said, the last two years have proven he is unable to complete a regular season and take the team to the next level.

It is time to give someone else a chance.  White and JFIII got theirs.  New blood for next season: Barrett and Stidham.

Archived