Potential offensive changes coming

aubiefifty

48 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Penn State beat OSU.  Head to head should count above all else. There will be extra scrutiny next year since OSUs resume proved to not be worth the paper it was written on.

Out of likes but this^^^^^^^^.  There is no better resume than getting your butt kicked on the field.  Eye test my A**!

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Penn State beat OSU.  Head to head should count above all else. There will be extra scrutiny next year since OSUs resume proved to not be worth the paper it was written on.

1. No it shouldn't. Given there is only a 4 team system right now It should be the deciding factor only if the 2 resumes are close which they weren't.

And OSU getting smashed by Clemson didn't prove anything about tOSU's resume on paper. It just proved Clemson got hot at the right time. There were weeks earlier in the season tOSU would have beaten Clemson black & blue given how the teams played in certain weeks.

Also Bama has already won the Natty not winning a conference title or head to head regular season match up. Strong resumes will still get opportunities.

As long as we have a 4 team playoff system the strongest resumes will still get in regardless of winning a conference championship. That why we have to go to 8 teams so conference champions can matter enough to get auto bids.

20 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Out of likes but this^^^^^^^^.  There is no better resume than getting your butt kicked on the field.  Eye test my A**!

I would agree if Penn St. had not been beat by Pitt and have Michigan basically make them call the wolverines their Daddy by beating the mess out of them but those things have to be factored in a 4 team system.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

1. No it shouldn't. Given there is only a 4 team system right now It should be the deciding factor only if the 2 resumes are close which they weren't.

And OSU getting smashed by Clemson didn't prove anything about tOSU's resume on paper. It just proved Clemson got hot at the right time. There were weeks earlier in the season tOSU would have beaten Clemson black & blue given how the teams played in certain weeks.

Also Bama has already won the Natty not winning a conference title or head to head regular season match up. Strong resumes will still get opportunities.

As long as we have a 4 team playoff system the strongest resumes will still get in regardless of winning a conference championship. That why we have to go to 8 teams so conference champions can matter enough to get auto bids.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

I will say, even Clemson getting hot at the right time shouldn't have allowed for OSU to crap the bed like they did. Getting shut out like that says that they had some serious issues that the committee was blind to because they are OSU and in general there is a bias in their favor.

I do agree we need to go to an 8-team so that each power 5 champ gets a spot.

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

My last statement on this derailment. So you think Penn St. losing to Pitt & Michigan beating the mess out of them should account for nothing in the current system?

All I'm saying, is a team that didn't win their conference champ on the field, should not be selected over the conference champ.  If you can't win your own conference, you shouldn't be in a playoff.  Regardless of resume, you had your chance and pooped the bed.

8 minutes ago, ellitor said:

My last statement on this derailment. So you think Penn St. losing to Pitt & Michigan beating the mess out of them should account for nothing in the current system?

Not for nothing, but I think Penn beating Ohio should negate Ohio's ability to jump them when it's between the two who goes.

You should at least play in the  conference championship.  I mean, if UF beat UA, then Bama should still get in and UF shouldn't.

Playoff system got it right this year. Bama beat Washington easily. Same for Clemson over Ohio State easily. Quite the difference from two to four.  Penn State would've been no different. 

Look at USC. They will finish around third and lost by 46 to Bama. 

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Just my .02 cents but I think you should look at the whole body of work. True those were bad losses, but Penn state was a completely different team after those two losses. They went on a nine-game win streak including beating tOSU and winning the conference championship. It was hard for me to take tOSU being chosen over them, but hindsight is 20/20. Hopefully, the committee learned a valuable lesson.

41 minutes ago, bigbird said:

You should at least play in the  conference championship.  I mean, if UF beat UA, then Bama should still get in and UF shouldn't.

That is my only issue. They lost the head to head match and failed to even represent the big ten in the championship game. This same group probably went bat crap crazy when Bama did the exact same thing a few years ago.

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

Just my .02 cents but I think you should look at the whole body of work. True those were bad losses, but Penn state was a completely different team after those two losses. They went on a nine-game win streak including beating tOSU and winning the conference championship. It was hard for me to take tOSU being chosen over them, but hindsight is 20/20. Hopefully, the committee learned a valuable lesson.

My problem with judging from H2H wins is most of the time only one team had a loud fanbase and home cooking. Not only that, there are injuries and other factors that can affect a game.

In 2013, LSU beat us ( let's pretend by three in Death Valley.) Which team goes to the playoffs if both finished with only one loss, but Auburn managed to stay ahead in the polls the entire process and their one loss wasn't near as bad as LSU's late loss? What happens?

Why should it be a winner take all all of a sudden? At that time and in the end, a three point loss really doesn't look that bad at all. 

2 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

My problem with judging from H2H wins is most of the time only one team had a loud fanbase and home cooking. Not only that, there are injuries and other factors that can affect a game.

In 2013, LSU beat us ( let's pretend by three in Death Valley.) Which team goes to the playoffs if both finished with only one loss, but Auburn managed to stay ahead in the polls the entire process and their one loss wasn't near as bad as LSU's late loss? What happens?

Why should it be a winner take all all of a sudden? At that time and in the end, a three point loss really doesn't look that bad at all. 

That's why we have an SEC Championship. There's no way that Auburn and LSU are equal when it comes time to pick teams.  One played in (and likely won) the SEC championship and one didn't. If LSU beat us and we had equal records, they would go to the SEC Championship and they would get in.  They would also, likely, outrank us the whole time, even if their loss was to Sister Mary's School for the Blind, because they beat us.. and bama.. and the rest of the SEC, except for the one loss. 

12 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Fair enough. It is a very good discussion to be had with a lot of objectivity. I just think the H2H match plus them winning the conference championship should've given them the edge.

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

One played in (and likely won) the SEC championship and one didn't.

Have you seen our eastern division? Winning the SEC is nothing to write home about. The Eastern division leader is like the worlds tallest midget. LSU would've hypothetically went to the SEC that year and went to the playoffs according to your logic because they won an extra game.

4 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

hey would also, likely, outrank us the whole time, even if their loss was to Sister Mary's School for the Blind, because they beat us.. and bama.. and the rest of the SEC, except for the one loss. 

Not necessarily. Penn State never led Ohio State in the polls for example. And we are, for this discussion, assuming LSU never led.

11 minutes ago, DAG said:

Fair enough. It is a very good discussion to be had with a lot of objectivity. I just think the H2H match plus them winning the conference championship should've given them the edge.

I can't agree with that. Maybe if they destroyed us on neutral turf in the first game I'd agree. 

36 minutes ago, musicitytiger said:

So we are getting new offensive personnel?

Maybe some reshuffling of the O staff and there might be an addition later on

51 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I can't agree with that. Maybe if they destroyed us on neutral turf in the first game I'd agree. 

agree to disagree! 

3 minutes ago, Timeslider 6 said:

Any speculation on what may happen, specifically? 

Not really no one knows for sure but it sounds like something is in the works. My guess would be it involves Rhett jmo

Well here is my 2 cents.

In Texas where I went to high school, the state champion plays in 16 games. Division III has a 32 team playoff, the National Champion plays in 15 games. Division II has - 28 team playoff, the National Champion plays in 15 games and FCS has a - 16 team playoff, the National Champion plays in 15 games. 

Pro football plays a 16 game season and then if you are a wild card team and reach the Super Bowl, 3 more games for a total of 19 games. 

I do not suscribe to the argument that adding more teams to the playoff system and/or creating more games is to hard on the athletes. 

My solution is to drop 2 non conference games. For example, we played 13 games of which 8 were conference, 5 non-conference (one bowl game). We now play 2 non conference games and our standard 8 conference games. Conference Championships are game #11, the playoffs run games 12-15.

For everyone else, bowl games are game #11.  Ok ok I got it AD's will say NO because of the lost revenue from the 2 football games dropped from the schedule. The lost revenue will need to be made up in other areas other than an increase in ticket prices.  Well not paying a couple of million to 2 cupcakes for us to beat up on saves a few bucks. Increase advertising revenue. Extra team or 2 in the playoffs allow the conference to dish out some extra bucks. I am sure a few smart people can get creative. 

Option number two is to only drop one non conference game. Keep a 16 team playoff and the winner would have played 16 games.  Non playoff participants will play 12 games.

By doing it this way the USC, Wisconsin, OU, Penn State teams this year would have been in the playoff and boy would that have been fun to watch!!!!!!!!

41 minutes ago, Timeslider 6 said:

Any speculation on what may happen, specifically? 

Golf answered it pretty much they way I would've

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Maybe some reshuffling of the O staff and there might be an addition later on

Are we talking Hand to be the OC?

Archived