Potential offensive changes coming

aubiefifty

So for the thick headed like me, could someone summarize the key points of this thread? What do we know so far about the Big offensive changes to come?

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, shabby said:

So for the thick headed like me, could someone summarize the key points of this thread? What do we know so far about the Big offensive changes to come?

Premium content

5 minutes ago, shabby said:

Indications are movement on the O staff is trending to happening by February.

Nothing is concretely known about big offensive changes.

1 minute ago, AUinTLoosa said:

Premium content

Specifics are but the overall theme can be summed due to the video interview in the OP.

Just having two good healthy quarterbacks available could signify some important offenses improvements.

12 hours ago, ellitor said:

That kind of stuff happens behind the scenes, primarily though agents. You are not going to see evidence on those kind of things until pen meets paper, especially when Gus is involved.

Thanks Ellitor you have a way with making the complex simple to understand for fans such as I!

Just now, AU64 said:

Just having two good healthy quarterbacks available could signify some important offenses improvements.

Certainly can't hurt!   I Just hope the changes include giving more autonomy to someone outside of Gus' top secret inner circle to evolve this offense.

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

And to think... there's a chance we'll have 3... maybe even 4.

14 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

And to think... there's a chance we'll have 3... maybe even 4.

An embarrassment of riches?

Already steeling myself for inevitable off-season diatribes concerning starters, and (more relevant to the thread?)

who manages them.

30 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

Thanks Ellitor you have a way with making the complex simple to understand for fans such as I!

He is the message board whisperer.

14 minutes ago, fredst said:

SHOULDN'T THAT BE IN ALL CAPS?

Lol. Nope. I'm loud with regular letters. My E-voice carries.

Waiting game sucks. I highly doubt it would be Briles as the uproar would be horrible. Of course, if we did get him, winning, for the most part , cures all. I hope this is true anyhow as it would seem Gus is growing as a coach after his fourth year. Just imagine , if he got out of his own way, by this time next year there is no reason why we couldn't be feeling how Clemson fans are feeling presently.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Waiting game sucks. I highly doubt it would be Briles as the uproar would be horrible. Of course, if we did get him, winning, for the most part , cures all. I hope this is true anyhow as it would seem Gus is growing as a coach after his fourth year. Just imagine , if he got out of his own way, by this time next year there is no reason why we couldn't be feeling how Clemson fans are feeling presently.

Sadly, we'll never get to feel quite as good as Clemson is feeling right now, because we have to beat bama before the championship game instead of ripping their hearts out just as they are about to add another real championship to their less than accurate list.

8 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Sadly, we'll never get to feel quite as good as Clemson is feeling right now, because we have to beat bama before the championship game instead of ripping their hearts out just as they are about to add another real championship to their less than accurate list.

This is true. The funny thing is this sets up perfectly.  Imagine if we beat Clemson and Bama next year, all while winning the SEC. It can happen.  Baby steps ..baby steps.

Revenge tour 2017.

14 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Not necessarily.

11-1 bammer probably gets in the CFP along with 13-0 SEC champion.

I would settle for an evolution of Gus and his offense. If he can evolve what he has now into something it can be, that would be a giant leap forward. We all agree, i think, that the most needed leap forward would be a higher degree of emphasis on using the passing game to complement his run game. He seems to be pretty stubborn about giving Lashlee greater leeway to use all facets of the passing game (ie. TE, slot receiver and the deep pass) in order to improve 3rd down efficiency. The pass has to be a threat in order for the run game to flow like it truly can. I know he understands that, but i am truly mystified as to why he doesn't have a more flexible offense. 

2 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Not necessarily.

11-1 bammer probably gets in the CFP along with 13-0 SEC champion.

Not anymore... Not with the play-offs. Especially now that the committee pushed Ohio in over Penn State only to watch Urban get humiliated.

9 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Not anymore... Not with the play-offs. Especially now that the committee pushed Ohio in over Penn State only to watch Urban get humiliated.

Doesn't mean they won't do it again. They will still vote based on total resumes just as they did this year. Because of Penn St.'s loss to Pitt & tOSU blasting an OU team that later got hot as well as having quite a bit tougher conference schedule tOSU had the better resume.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Doesn't mean they won't do it again. They will still vote based on total resumes just as they did this year. Because of Penn St.'s loss to Pitt & tOSU blasting an OU team that later got hot as well as having quite a bit tougher conference schedule tOSU had the better resume.

Penn State beat OSU.  Head to head should count above all else. There will be extra scrutiny next year since OSUs resume proved to not be worth the paper it was written on.

I'm going to go ahead and say i don't expect any offensive changes in February unless it is just adding another coach. I think the people we have today will be in the same positions when next season starts. I have seen no indication that Gus believes a change is warranted or needed. We'll see though....

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Lol. Nope. I'm loud with regular letters. My E-voice carries, carries, carries.

Echoes, through page after page.

Insights appreciated.

41 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Penn State beat OSU.  Head to head should count above all else. There will be extra scrutiny next year since OSUs resume proved to not be worth the paper it was written on.

I don't think anyone in the Big Ten was worth the playoff spot. Wisconsin had a defense but no offense (even healthy - lol). I would've put Oklahoma in (I know - too many losses) and let them duke it out with Clemson. I believe that would have been a fun game to watch!

As for the topic at hand, we know what Gus' offenses are capable of with a decent QB (or converted DB for that matter). I'm not too worried about any changes. But if Stidham comes in next year and looks worse than he did at Baylor (or they don't use him effectively anyway) - then I'll be calling for some jobs to open up on the staff. Whether that's Rhett or Gus - I don't know, but change would definitely need to happen.

Archived