Potential offensive changes coming

aubiefifty

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, bigbird said:

No one really knows right now. 

If something is in the works that would be my guess and would give Rhett more time to work with QB's if he is still here.

Just now, auburn4ever said:

Why not bring in Art Briles as OC? that's a smarter move than giving the OC job to an OL coach.

Hand was a co-offensive coordinator with Malzahn at Tulsa. Did an outstanding job.

14 minutes ago, kd4au said:

If something is in the works that would be my guess and would give Rhett more time to work with QB's if he is still here.

Its a possibility

14 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Its a possibility

IF this scenario comes to fruition, what's your opinion? 

1 hour ago, aufan57 said:

Hand was a co-offensive coordinator with Malzahn at Tulsa. Did an outstanding job.

Gus was pretty outstanding as well as a play caller. He no longer does a outstanding job.

1 hour ago, kd4au said:

Are we talking Hand to be the OC?

A couple games this past season, I think Gus' talking hand WAS the OC.

Why not go ahead and throw $1,500,000 at Lincoln Riley to jump off of the Sooner schooner and come over the plains? Give him a guaranteed 3 year contract and let Rhett carry his clipboard and give advice when asked for. Just a thought or lack of it!

2 hours ago, kd4au said:

Are we talking Hand to be the OC?

We don't know as was stated earlier. That one would not surprise me though.

2 hours ago, kd4au said:

He may not even do that if shuffling is done.

45 minutes ago, ellitor said:

He may not even do that if shuffling is done.

Who could you see taking over the QBs? And do you think it would be an improvement over Rhett? Just wondering your opinion on it, didn't see it asked in the couple of pages I looked at

36 minutes ago, Charhair said:

Who could you see taking over the QBs? And do you think it would be an improvement over Rhett? Just wondering your opinion on it, didn't see it asked in the couple of pages I looked at

I honestly have no clue nor could begin to guess.

Heck I may have taken too much from the theory that he could be the biggest mover in the offense by me leaping to him may not be coaching QBs.

7 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Why not bring in Art Briles as OC? that's a smarter move than giving the OC job to an OL coach.

Idk maybe read the previous 11 pages of the thread where it's stated over and over again exactly why.

Don't we have rules about rumor threads? Or is this just another wishing well? Either someone needs to drop some knowledge or drop the subject...

15 hours ago, ellitor said:

And OSU getting smashed by Clemson didn't prove anything about tOSU's resume on paper. It just proved Clemson got hot at the right time. There were weeks earlier in the season tOSU would have beaten Clemson black & blue given how the teams played in certain weeks.

E, you may be 100% correct but you can insert any top tier team's name in this statement and it be true.

To say OSU would have beaten Clemson is just as incorrect. They may have played better in said week but had they played each other Clemson may have performed better. There's no crystal balls and that's why it should be settled on the field. Maybe this will drive a 6 or 8 team playoff eventually. jmo

It's not rumor, it's speculation and "what if" scenarios that people love to ponder.  

If Hand were to move to OC, who would help get the OL ready to play?...we'd need a pretty talented GA to help.

If Rhett is still the QB coach I believe that some of the PTB will be grabbing pitch forks, unless Rhett spends months training under a qualified QB coach to learn how to teach fundamentals of the QB position, such as footwork.  

42 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

If Rhett is still the QB coach I believe that some of the PTB will be grabbing pitch forks, unless Rhett spends months training under a qualified QB coach to learn how to teach fundamentals of the QB position, such as footwork.  

How do you know that Rhett isn't an outstanding QB coach. until this season it appears he has just been a yes man and hasn't had the opportunity to put his spin on it. Go look at his year at samford. avg 28 ppg, 166 rushing pg, 225 passing pg. his QB threw some picks but very avg numbers (10) for the season. I think Rhett has the potential to be a good coach if Gus will step back and let him.

9 minutes ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

How do you know that Rhett isn't an outstanding QB coach. until this season it appears he has just been a yes man and hasn't had the opportunity to put his spin on it. Go look at his year at samford. avg 28 ppg, 166 rushing pg, 225 passing pg. his QB threw some picks but very avg numbers (10) for the season. I think Rhett has the potential to be a good coach if Gus will step back and let him.

It can be assumed that he isnt, based on his résumé. The guy shouldn't have ever been given the keys to the QB's. He simply wasn't qualified enough. He should have been a OC at a SMU or UAB type school, for a while, before moving up to the big league. 

6 minutes ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

I think Rhett could be an excellent coach, but Gus (trying to help) is in the process of ruining his career before it starts.  Rhett needs to separate himself from his mentor to prove himself even though he steps back from his $600,000 salary.  This scenario is also the only way Auburn will know what we have in Gus.  Gus seems to blame Rhett, not by design, but through his cryptic statements to the press, when things tighten up on the offensive side of the ball.

Time for Rhett to grow a pair.  JMO, I could be wrong.

1 minute ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

It can be assumed that he isnt, based on his résumé. The guy shouldn't have ever been given the keys to the QB's. He simply wasn't qualified enough. He should have been a OC at a SMU or UAB type school, for a while, before moving up to the big league. 

Like Samford and Arkansas State?

1 minute ago, The Freak said:

Like Samford and Arkansas State?

Nothing wrong with those two schools. I would probably wait to see what he can do for a while, without Gus. 

15 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Have you seen our eastern division? Winning the SEC is nothing to write home about. The Eastern division leader is like the worlds tallest midget. LSU would've hypothetically went to the SEC that year and went to the playoffs according to your logic because they won an extra game.

Not necessarily. Penn State never led Ohio State in the polls for example. And we are, for this discussion, assuming LSU never led.

Penn state never lead because they lost 2 to Ohio States 1, and they lost both before beating Ohio State. I also would argue that there is probably a little bit of bias in there. Ohio State, bama, FSU, Notre Dame, USC, etc tend to always get a bit of a name bump in the polls. Still... if Penn State had just lost 1, they should have jumped Ohio State in the polls and never looked back.

Archived