The Chip Lindsey hire Poll

Newbomb

What I think about the Chip Lindsey hire Poll  

247 members have voted

1. 1. What I think about the Chip Lindsey hire

• I'm all in on this!
    • Good hire not great.
    • Not good for Auburn
    • Horrible hire... Gus will need a realtor.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, doc4aday said:

A realtor to move all of his championship trophies to his new 5500 Sqft. home in Auburn. 

I'll have what he's having. And make it a double!

15 hours ago, AUinTLoosa said:

Never gonna grow up,

not me.

Growing old is mandatory;

Growing up is optional.

12 hours ago, abw0004 said:

The only shaky one is Gatewood, our 2018 QB committ.  Was very close to Lashlee.  UGA offered him the day Lashlee went to UCONN

Malzahn wanted someone who could develop and evaluate quarterbacks, someone he felt comfortable turning the offense over to and someone who had a similar offensive philosophy.

abw0004, the above is a quote from Malzahn's press conference.  I know Gatewood and Stidham have stated that they were close to Lashlee, but I wonder, after reading this quote from Malzahn, why the ability to develop and evaluate QBs was a bullet point for the hire?

The quote doesn't say Lashlee couldn't develop and evaluate QBs, but reading between the lines it sure does imply that or why would he even mention that point.  If Gatewood likes Auburn, after he talks to Lindsey, Auburn should be fine.  If he flips, why would he not go to UCONN?  Otherwise he is just a typical recruit that doesn't really know what he wants.

2 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Malzahn wanted someone who could develop and evaluate quarterbacks, someone he felt comfortable turning the offense over to and someone who had a similar offensive philosophy.

abw0004, the above is a quote from Malzahn's press conference.  I know Gatewood and Stidham have stated that they were close to Lashlee, but I wonder, after reading this quote from Malzahn, why the ability to develop and evaluate QBs was a bullet point for the hire?

The quote doesn't say Lashlee couldn't develop and evaluate QBs, but reading between the lines it sure does imply that or why would he even mention that point.  If Gatewood likes Auburn, after he talks to Lindsey, Auburn should be fine.  If he flips, why would he not go to UCONN?  Otherwise he is just a typical recruit that doesn't really know what he wants.

I think it's the latter.  I don't foresee him flipping yet.  It was interesting about the quarterback development though when watching the press conference.  

3 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

The quote doesn't say Lashlee couldn't develop and evaluate QBs, but reading between the lines it sure does imply that or why would he even mention that point.  If Gatewood likes Auburn, after he talks to Lindsey, Auburn should be fine.  

Who's to say Lindsey is going to like Gatewood as much as GM and RL do?  And if he'd rather go after a different guy, will GM trust his judgement since that was one of the reasons he listed for his hiring - evaluating QB's? (and I'm not implying CL doesn't think Gatewood is the best guy and wants him, just wondering how it would play out if he doesn't)

I believe Gus knows that if he doesn't win big, then it really doesn't matter who he hires as OC because we'll have bigger fish to catch after 2017.

I am happy GUS got the OC he wanted because he is the head coach and his job to lose or keep.  I think 17 will be be a good year. :wareagle:

48 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Who's to say Lindsey is going to like Gatewood as much as GM and RL do?  And if he'd rather go after a different guy, will GM trust his judgement since that was one of the reasons he listed for his hiring - evaluating QB's? (and I'm not implying CL doesn't think Gatewood is the best guy and wants him, just wondering how it would play out if he doesn't)

Good point about CL may not wanting Gatewood as a QB recruit.  Gatewood is sharing time with other QBs in high school, so we'll see how it plays out.

7 hours ago, jared52 said:

I'll have what he's having. And make it a double!

Hey......I went to Jared's!

1 hour ago, auburn4ever said:

I believe Gus knows that if he doesn't win big, then it really doesn't matter who he hires as OC because we'll have bigger fish to catch after 2017.

Small mouth or large mouth bass?

On 1/22/2017 at 10:28 AM, I_M4_AU said:

The quote doesn't say Lashlee couldn't develop and evaluate QBs, but reading between the lines it sure does imply that or why would he even mention that point.  

OR it could imply that Gus doesn't develop QBs and with Lashlee gone, that is an immediate and important need.

22 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

OR it could imply that Gus doesn't develop QBs and with Lashlee gone, that is an immediate and important need.

OR it could mean they've heard all the negative chatter and threw it out there to add hope we'll see improvements. ;)

4 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

That is a possibility, thinking back to the JFIII experiment; IIRC some insiders (can't remember which ones) mentioned that Gus was devoting most of his time getting JFIII up to speed. That didn't work out so well, but the point being neither Gus nor Rhett seems to be that good of a QB developer unless the QB has extraordinary talent.  The main point is neither Gus nor Rhett didn't seem to be able to evaluate a QB with consistency.  This is all my opinion of course and as Linayus mentioned, it could be spin to keep the fans happy.

10 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

That is a possibility, thinking back to the JFIII experiment; IIRC some insiders (can't remember which ones) mentioned that Gus was devoting most of his time getting JFIII up to speed. That didn't work out so well, but the point being neither Gus nor Rhett seems to be that good of a QB developer unless the QB has extraordinary talent.  The main point is neither Gus nor Rhett didn't seem to be able to evaluate a QB with consistency.  This is all my opinion of course and as Linayus mentioned, it could be spin to keep the fans happy.

I still want to hear the whole story behind Franklin.  I just can't think of a logical reason that we would have snatched him up without him being the last possible option. The last thing we needed, last off season, was a project at QB. I guess we could have been thinking, if he didn't work out, we had Queen... only to have him go down again in practice.  In any case, I have a feeling there's a much bigger story there.

As for the spin thing... I don't think it's spin.  I think QB development was a huge factor in Gus's mind because we don't have anyone to do it if the OC couldn't, and we have a potential star QB on the hook would would have walked if we got a guy who wasn't going to teach him.

12 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I still want to hear the whole story behind Franklin.  I just can't think of a logical reason that we would have snatched him up without him being the last possible option. The last thing we needed, last off season, was a project at QB. I guess we could have been thinking, if he didn't work out, we had Queen... only to have him go down again in practice.  In any case, I have a feeling there's a much bigger story there.

As for the spin thing... I don't think it's spin.  I think QB development was a huge factor in Gus's mind because we don't have anyone to do it if the OC couldn't, and we have a potential star QB on the hook would would have walked if we got a guy who wasn't going to teach him.

I would like to know, also.  I doubt we ever will.  Queen is also a mystery, he should have been, at the least, a viable alternative in the UGA game.  It was an odd season.

I believe Gus knows he needs a coach that can not only develop, but also evaluate the QBs before we sign them, or we end up with another group like Barrett Trotter, Clint Moseley and Frazier.

20 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I think it was panic, plain and simple. Gus had two studs, Cam and Nick. All of us believed JJ would be number three. When that went bad, the coaches lack of maturity showed, and hasty decisions were made for JF III. Regarding JJ, I will always believe the Duke meltdown greatly contributed to his demise. That same year, Blake Sims was a very average qb with one superb receiver, Amari Cooper.  He knew when all else failed he could heave the ball to him and have a chance to make a play. JJ should have had the same confidence with Duke, but that quickly went awry and his confidence eroded quickly. Just my opinion of course. 

Just now, I_M4_AU said:

I would like to know, also.  I doubt we ever will.  Queen is also a mystery, he should have been, at the least, a viable alternative in the UGA game.  It was an odd season.

I believe Gus knows he needs a coach that can not only develop, but also evaluate the QBs before we sign them, or we end up with another group like Barrett Trotter, Clint Moseley and Frazier.

I don't know that Queen was cleared for full contact, last season.

I honestly think Trotter and Mosley were victims of a completely rebuilt O-line  (they combined for nearly -200 yards in sacks) and Frazier was a victim of Loeffler, who tried to turn him into a drop back passer. The problem with that trio is Gus naively thought he'd have Cam for 2 years and then roll right into Frazier... which probably would have turned Frazier into a good QB. Of course, what happened was Cam was one and done, Gus had to scramble.

Oh, and incidentally, Trotter was class of 2008 and Mosley was Class of 2009.  Since Gus didn't start at Auburn until Dec 2008, you really can't say he had much of anything to do with recruiting either of them.  He recruited Frazier & Cam when he was our OC.

16 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I don't know that Queen was cleared for full contact, last season.

I honestly think Trotter and Mosley were victims of a completely rebuilt O-line  (they combined for nearly -200 yards in sacks) and Frazier was a victim of Loeffler, who tried to turn him into a drop back passer. The problem with that trio is Gus naively thought he'd have Cam for 2 years and then roll right into Frazier... which probably would have turned Frazier into a good QB. Of course, what happened was Cam was one and done, Gus had to scramble.

Oh, and incidentally, Trotter was class of 2008 and Mosley was Class of 2009.  Since Gus didn't start at Auburn until Dec 2008, you really can't say he had much of anything to do with recruiting either of them.  He recruited Frazier & Cam when he was our OC.

Trotter he inherited, Moseley he recruited.  Regardless, Gus did not develop either into a SEC QB.

3 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Trotter he inherited, Moseley he recruited.  Regardless, Gus did not develop either into a SEC QB.

I'm not sure an offer after being at Auburn for less than 30 days would count as recruiting. He was Mr. Football, and they had to get a class together, so they offered him.  No one else of consequence did. I forgot, they also landed Tyrik Rollison, who was much more a Gus style QB, and could have been great, too, if he could have kept his head straight.

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

Could be that Gus did not recruit a full batch of QBs...got a couple that he wanted and quit recruiting.   He had about all of his eggs in one basket....might be in the future he will bring in more of them and spend more time sorting them out rather than spending 4 years trying to make a QB of a guy who is just not going to work out. 

I'm of the opinion that Gus and maybe RL too, had the misbegotten view that they could make an SEC QB out of anyone if they worked at it hard enough.  Many fans seem to think that way too...just reading the comments about Gatewood as if he were a lock to play QB at AU....and not many seem to consider that he might not make it.....and who do we have behind him?   

The boys across the state give their recruits about one season to cut the mustard or they move them along and it's next man up.....JMO but Gus spends too much time on more or less "lost causes".   

16 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Could be that Gus did not recruit a full batch of QBs...got a couple that he wanted and quit recruiting.   He had about all of his eggs in one basket....might be in the future he will bring in more of them and spend more time sorting them out rather than spending 4 years trying to make a QB of a guy who is just not going to work out. 

I'm of the opinion that Gus and maybe RL too, had the misbegotten view that they could make an SEC QB out of anyone if they worked at it hard enough.  Many fans seem to think that way too...just reading the comments about Gatewood as if he were a lock to play QB at AU....and not many seem to consider that he might not make it.....and who do we have behind him?   

The boys across the state give their recruits about one season to cut the mustard or they move them along and it's next man up.....JMO but Gus spends too much time on more or less "lost causes".   

This seems to be Gus' MO.  All in on Cam, NM and JJ with not much of a backup plan.  Once he decided on SW this year, there was no backup plan.  I'm optimistic he will have a backup plan this year and he has learned his lesson on the recruiting of QBs.

Archived