Masters Week

Barnacle

Well done Barnacle...you called it....and what a great finish....:thumbsup:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I realized couples was out of it I started pulling for Sergio. I still don't understand how he misread that putt on 18. I knew from watching so many masters that putt moved right. Happy for him. 

Not a Gracia fan but his putts on the last two holes he was going inside out on the stroke...nerves imo but his tee to greens was ungodly. As for Rose I also believe his nerves got to him on his swing. Everything on the last two holes was left out to the right. Great tournament as always and have been many times with tons of memories. I tried for 20 years to get on the course to play...tried every favor owe to me still not able to get on came close a few times but no luck.

8 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Not a Gracia fan but his putts on the last two holes he was going inside out on the stroke...nerves imo but his tee to greens was ungodly. As for Rose I also believe his nerves got to him on his swing. Everything on the last two holes was left out to the right. Great tournament as always and have been many times with tons of memories. I tried for 20 years to get on the course to play...tried every favor owe to me still not able to get on came close a few times but no luck.

Can't imagine nerves not getting to those guys but Sergio's hit some really bad putts on the final few holes...pushing the ball or something,,,I guess inside out as you noted...but I was happy when he drained the birdie to end it.....went in style though the pressure was off at that point.   

I'm not a big Sergio fan but I respect his durability as a contending golfer and with the great golfers of my day mostly gone or not very competitive, I don't have serious favorites on the tour now.   I

14 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Can't imagine nerves not getting to those guys but Sergio's hit some really bad putts on the final few holes...pushing the ball or something,,,I guess inside out as you noted...but I was happy when he drained the birdie to end it.....went in style though the pressure was off at that point.   

I'm not a big Sergio fan but I respect his durability as a contending golfer and with the great golfers of my day mostly gone or not very competitive, I don't have serious favorites on the tour now.   I

Completely agree but when it comes to a major especially Masters, US Open and British Open it happens. I was glad he birdied the hole as well you could tell a lot of inside pressure/stress for him was released by his reaction on the green.

Golf has changed so much in the last 15 years with the technology taking over the golf course. I played for 50 years until my hips went out and I think I may have hit 300 yard drives maybe 50 times. Today its nothing 

I am just ready for the PGA. That is by far my favorite major with masters a distant second. Never thought I would see the day Sergio would actually win a major. Good for him. Don't like him but I especially do not like Justin Rose so glad the lesser of 2 evils won today. Spieth is officially in his own head at the masters after that debacle at 12 today. MERCY!

5 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I am just ready for the PGA. That is by far my favorite major with masters a distant second. Never thought I would see the day Sergio would actually win a major. Good for him. Don't like him but I especially do not like Justin Rose so glad the lesser of 2 evils won today. Spieth is officially in his own head at the masters after that debacle at 12 today. MERCY!

Just curious why is the PGA your favorite? It is the least favorite for me. My favorites in order are US Open, Masters, The Open and PGA.

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

Just curious why is the PGA your favorite? It is the least favorite for me. My favorites in order are US Open, Masters, The Open and PGA.

PGA is also my least favorite. Mine are Maters, US Open, The Open and PGA. 

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

I could almost put Masters and US Open tied

43 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

I could almost put Masters and US Open tied

I like the US Open because its a true "Open". That's probably my favorite part. I also have great memories of it because of it falling on Father's Day. I like the traditional conditions, and the true test that it is. It does bother me that Fox is now on the broadcast. I think they've done a poor job so far. 

The Masters will always be my favorite. I had a poster of the 12th green on my wall growing up. My family used to live in Augusta, so my Dad would always talk to me about the tournament, the course, and past champions. I love the familiarity you get with the course. We all know the holes, the pin locations, the history, etc. The tournament itself is the most incredible sporting event that I've ever attended, and nothing else compares in my mind. Everything from the low cost of food, to the practice rounds and Par 3 course turns it into an experience unlike anything else. Not to mention, the stunning beauty of the course. 

2 hours ago, Barnacle said:

This is my order too. Was rooting hard for Fowler or Spieth to  win, but they both fizzled out. Always want an American to win, but am glad Sergio won instead of Rose.

10 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

This is my order too. Was rooting hard for Fowler or Spieth to  win, but they both fizzled out. Always want an American to win, but am glad Sergio won instead of Rose.

Me too. I'm convinced that Sergio would have never won a major if he had lost in that playoff. Now, I wouldn't be surprised if he picks up at least one more. He was far too good of a player not to have won one. 

Rose, on the other hand. I just don't like. Too rigid, too calculating. Honestly, he just bores me. 

4 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

The trophy mixed in with wanting to be different and the scores!!! that thing is a sight to behold and a beautiful specimen of hardware. It never gets any love from the golf community usually but I can appreciate it. It usually is peoples least favorite major. The scores are always super low with guys at the top of the leaderboard usually being 10 under and above. That is exciting to see with anyone able to make a run on any given day and shooting a low score to pop in to contention. The golf courses are usually beautiful and picturesque with bad weather never really a factor. 

I agree about the PGA courses....my only problem with the Open is with some of the courses (and what they have done to them lately) when they decided to make an "environmental statement" at a couple of them. I'm old school and like the beautiful layouts and older courses.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

I agree about the PGA courses....my only problem with the Open is with some of the courses (and what they have done to them lately) when they decided to make an "environmental statement" at a couple of them. I'm old school and like the beautiful layouts and older courses.

Not an older course, but Erin HIlls is definitely beautiful.

I love the old Donald Ross courses for tournament play.

My home course is a 9 hole Donald Ross design (circa 1916)  and since we've never had any money, nobody has  much messed with it over the years to "improve" it other than replacing the sand greens with more traditional grass greens in the early1940s I think it was.   Otherwise, the layout is about the same....couple traps added or deleted over the years and a spring turned into a creek a few years ago to solve a problem with a perpetually bad wet area.  It was more a links look back in the day but now is well forested which negatively affects play to some extent ...but mention cutting down a tree and people go nuts.

Seems to me that Ross had a definite style and when watching PGA play on some of the well known courses, I can see some of our holes replicated on them.

4 hours ago, Barnacle said:

I like the US Open because its a true "Open". That's probably my favorite part. I also have great memories of it because of it falling on Father's Day. I like the traditional conditions, and the true test that it is. It does bother me that Fox is now on the broadcast. I think they've done a poor job so far. 

The Masters will always be my favorite. I had a poster of the 12th green on my wall growing up. My family used to live in Augusta, so my Dad would always talk to me about the tournament, the course, and past champions. I love the familiarity you get with the course. We all know the holes, the pin locations, the history, etc. The tournament itself is the most incredible sporting event that I've ever attended, and nothing else compares in my mind. Everything from the low cost of food, to the practice rounds and Par 3 course turns it into an experience unlike anything else. Not to mention, the stunning beauty of the course. 

Well said Barn

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

I love the old Donald Ross courses for tournament play.

My home course is a 9 hole Donald Ross design (circa 1916)  and since we've never had any money, nobody has  much messed with it over the years to "improve" it other than replacing the sand greens with more traditional grass greens in the early1940s I think it was.   Otherwise, the layout is about the same....couple traps added or deleted over the years and a spring turned into a creek a few years ago to solve a problem with a perpetually bad wet area.  It was more a links look back in the day but now is well forested which negatively affects play to some extent ...but mention cutting down a tree and people go nuts.

Seems to me that Ross had a definite style and when watching PGA play on some of the well known courses, I can see some of our holes replicated on them.

I think you've mentioned as much before, but you live in NC, right?

11 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I think you've mentioned as much before, but you live in NC, right?

Could have....memory not what it used to be...but yes...Tryon, NC...lots of Donald Ross courses in the state ....several in the western part of the state....for better or worse, our is about the only one that has not been refurbished.

As for the Masters and your commentary which I enjoyed.....another feature that brings about such familiarity is that it's played on the same course every year and has been forever as far as most of us are concerned.   Most, if not all of the others move around from year to year and even when they repeat from time to time, the courses have often been re-built in some way for the tournament and holes are not that well known.

The Open being played on Father's Day is special too.   I remember many years ago when David Graham of Australia won the tournament and in the interview afterward he was asked about the significance of winning on Father's Day and told a short story about the estrangement of him and his father who if I recall, did not approve of him playing pursuing a golf career ...and they had not spoken to each other for many years.    That was a harsh reminder that Father's Day is not the same for all of us.

An interesting link if you care to read it.  https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2013/jun/13/david-graham-1981-us-open-victory1

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 6:49 PM, augolf1716 said:

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 6:49 PM, augolf1716 said:

I was okay 25 years ago, but have played sparingly since then, but if I started playing again I would probably try to play a round at Augusta National. I figured I would need to target a specific member known to be accommodating and REALLY support his favorite charity with my time and money. How would you say is the best (legal) way to play the course?

16 hours ago, Grumps said:

I was okay 25 years ago, but have played sparingly since then, but if I started playing again I would probably try to play a round at Augusta National. I figured I would need to target a specific member known to be accommodating and REALLY support his favorite charity with my time and money. How would you say is the best (legal) way to play the course?

Well things has changed since I tried to play it starting 40 years ago. I tried to get on the volunteer list for 20 years because way back then they would let the volunteers play the course as a reward. Don't think their doing that anymore. You have the right idea but your talking some really big bucks and it would have to be the right member. I doubt you can even find a list of members. Good luck

I know a female whose company CEO is a member and she won a figuring contest and got on. I wanted to shoot her.........kidding of course. maybe

The masters and us open are my favorites. The open and PGA are tied for third and fourth. The PGA is up there to me just because it is the last major.  The open is too early in the morning. I hate playing in the wind so much it makes me not like to watch it either. 

BOOOOM!!!! DUF making some noise this weekend! WAR DAMN DUF!!!!!!

Archived