Could QB be an issue?

LKEEL75

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

BAHHHHH GAWWWWWWWWWD AS MY WITNESS HE HAS BROKEN HIM IN HALF!!!!!!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, DAG said:

You would think it would be accurate if he wanted to truly play that position at the next level. To me , if I was getting the run around , I would just transfer .

We don't know his coaches are telling him that. It could be his confidence talking. There is still another QB at his school with college offers as well, albeit from smaller schools.

40 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

BAHHHHH GAWWWWWWWWWD AS MY WITNESS HE HAS BROKEN HIM IN HALF!!!!!!

You should be metaphorically for the 1st post.

56 minutes ago, ellitor said:

You should be metaphorically for the 1st post.

I accept that. And if you know what line from a  popular show that is from you get ALL OF MY LIKES!!! haha.

42 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I accept that. And if you know what line from a  popular show that is from you get ALL OF MY LIKES!!! haha.

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 1:05 PM, lionheartkc said:

Let's face is... Stidham/White/Willis is an anomaly in college football.  You see teams with a Stidham/Willis type combo frequently, since the latter is a freshman, but to have 2 experienced QBs with the level of talent that Stidham and White bring on the same team... that's bama fan in Mensa rare.

I agree that there is a good chance #2 will jump, next year, to get a shot a proving themselves to the NFL, but Willis will likely wait his turn, and Gatewood/Nix will make solid backups for him until it's their turn.

Basically, all we need to do is continue to sign one baller a year at QB and we'll be set in the back-up department.

This is my opinion only, but I would think even White is well aware of his physical deficiencies.  I don't think he would be eyeing the NFL, or even CFL.  White seems to be an intelligent young guy. He is probably aware that a degree from Auburn is more valuable than a degree from West Georgia, or any other small programs. I think he stays graduates and becomes a grad assistant.

Just now, ToomersStreet said:

This is my opinion only, but I would think even White is well aware of his physical deficiencies.  I don't think he would be eyeing the NFL, or even CFL.  White seems to be an intelligent young guy. He is probably aware that a degree from Auburn is more valuable than a degree from West Georgia, or any other small programs. I think he stays graduates and becomes a grad assistant.

I certainly see it as a possibility, but I also see him as the level of player who can make 6 figures for a few years holding a clipboard on the sidelines of an NFL team. He's easily as good... more likely better... than any of the QBs that bama has placed int he NFL in recent years.

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

I certainly see it as a possibility, but I also see him as the level of player who can make 6 figures for a few years holding a clipboard on the sidelines of an NFL team. He's easily as good... more likely better... than any of the QBs that bama has placed int he NFL in recent years.

I will agree, Sean has a high football IQ.  I think he ends up coaching one way or the other.  But yeah, I could see him doing that.

27 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

If John Parker Wilson could do it, so can Sean. 

I'll concede his fragility, but the dude is both stronger and more mobile than almost anyone gives him credit for. It's frustrating, but I suppose I get that a lot of Auburn fans have come to assume that every QB should look like Cam or JJ, or run and throw like Marshall. "Strong enough and mobile enough to win football games" becomes "weak and slow". As for his perceived inaccuracy downfield, how many chances did he get at deep balls? How many times were they dropped? How many times did his freshman receivers run the right route? As others have mentioned, where was Jason Campbell at this stage of his career? Alas, Sean couldn't stay healthy long enough to prove it, and now we've brought in an elite, best-of-the-best, franchise, potential all-timer kind of guy, so we're going to have an even harder time arguing in favor of Sean going forward. I'm not 100% sure why I'm still bothering now as it is. I guess that horse just isn't dead enough for my liking. #seanwhite4eva 

All I know is that having Sean as our backup, with Malik behind him, gives me the warm fuzzies. 

27 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

If John Parker Wilson could do it, so can Sean. 

I'll concede his fragility, but the dude is both stronger and more mobile than almost anyone gives him credit for. It's frustrating, but I suppose I get that a lot of Auburn fans have come to assume that every QB should look like Cam or JJ, or run and throw like Marshall. "Strong enough and mobile enough to win football games" becomes "weak and slow". As for his perceived inaccuracy downfield, how many chances did he get at deep balls? How many times were they dropped? How many times did his freshman receivers run the right route? As others have mentioned, where was Jason Campbell at this stage of his career? Alas, Sean couldn't stay healthy long enough to prove it, and now we've brought in an elite, best-of-the-best, franchise, potential all-timer kind of guy, so we're going to have an even harder time arguing in favor of Sean going forward. I'm not 100% sure why I'm still bothering now as it is. I guess that horse just isn't dead enough for my liking. #seanwhite4eva 

All I know is that having Sean as our backup, with Malik behind him, gives me the warm fuzzies. 

Yeah, I've said it before, and you alluded to it, but we still haven't seen Sean White's best. As for the NFL, with Stidham at Auburn, White's chances are going to be slim to none. Even if balled out the rest of his career, he would likely go undrafted. That doesn't mean he couldn't make a team, but I just think given his size, his injuries and his arm strength, the scales are weighted heavily against him. 

9 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Yeah, I've said it before, and you alluded to it, but we still haven't seen Sean White's best. As for the NFL, with Stidham at Auburn, White's chances are going to be slim to none. Even if balled out the rest of his career, he would likely go undrafted. That doesn't mean he couldn't make a team, but I just think given his size, his injuries and his arm strength, the scales are weighted heavily against him. 

I definitely think Sean has the mental makeup for the NFL. BUT he won't have the stats to make up what he lacks on the physical side to get drafted. The only way I see him making it is as an undrafted free agent. And even then it would have to be the perfect storm.

On 4/12/2017 at 7:11 AM, kd4au said:

I think the coaches should have let Woody go live at A-Day and see if he could be a QB or not.Reports are his passing game is not good, so they should have found out about his running game in live action to see if he could make plays with his feet.From what he showed at A-Day he may need to change positions or transfer.

Maybe i missed it, but i only saw him on a few drives. Even saw the walk on Sr more than Woody. I dont get it. It almost looked like they didnt want him out there...

On 4/12/2017 at 7:32 AM, AuburnNTexas said:

I don't know if Woody will leave or not but with Lindsey as a true QB coach if he works hard the rest of spring and fall and does what coach tells him he could become very good. He has an arm and running skills but bad mechanics. Improved mechanics and time in the film room to improve his decision making and he could surprise people. I think the real question is if he realizes how good a QB coach Lindsey is and if he is willing to listen to him and put in the work or if he is still to immature.

I certainly hope ge does. I dont want to see him leave. I still feel he can be better than Willis, but that's just me.

On 4/21/2017 at 9:19 AM, ToomersStreet said:

First, if Sean leaves in the 2018 season, he will leave as a grad transfer. He wont be limited to small schools. He could transfer to bama if he wanted. Im not remotely suggesting he will transfer there... but it could happen... or he could transfer to UCONN and follow Lashlee.

And next as far as staying and becoming a grad assistant, thats EXACTLY what i felt about Tyler Queen... and that didnt work out as i thought.

I dont want woody to transfer. I feel he has as much potential as anyone on our roster. He is the big bodied QB i absolutely love. I dont feel he really got a shot during the spring game...so with that, if he were to transfer, i could understand it. Doesnt mean i like it...

2 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I dont want woody to transfer. I feel he has as much potential as anyone on our roster. He is the big bodied QB i absolutely love. I dont feel he really got a shot during the spring game...so with that, if he were to transfer, i could understand it. Doesnt mean i like it...

I am curious about his potential as well.

Woody has been given every chance to step forward and lock down his position on the depth chart.  He hasn't chosen to do so.  He's been passed by a true freshman who has only been at Auburn for 4 months.  Woody had a redshirt year last year.  That should tell you something.

Sometimes all potential means is that you haven't done jack.

or he could transfer to UCONN and follow Lashlee.

Why in the hell would he follow a guy that didn't know how to use his skills in the first place?  Masochist?

56 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Why in the hell would he follow a guy that didn't know how to use his skills in the first place?  Masochist?

Gesundheit

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

There is no way SW would go to UCONN anyhow. Some legit power 5 conference school in dire need of a QB would take a chance on him. If schools were vying for Jordan Jefferson, they definitely will be vying for his services.

I'm wondering what percentage of the snaps did Cam take in 2010 & Nick take in '13?  Barring injury, Stidham needs to take the same % of snaps and AU will be fine.  If he's hurt, I like AU's backups, and I'm excited to see Willis in a couple years but it needs to be JS, JS and more JS this year.

QB could become a problem if White and Barrett both transfer AND we have injuries, but we're in a better position at quarterback than virtually any other team in college football. Willis has the makings of a great QB in this offense, and Stidham looks like a world beater behind center. That means we'll have have at least two viable candidates for the next two years (I REALLY don't expect Stidham to go pro after just one season), plus whomever we might sign on the recruiting trail. I mean, honestly, we are perhaps in the best position at QB in college football right now; what more could be done to make you happy?

15 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Woody has been given every chance to step forward and lock down his position on the depth chart.  He hasn't chosen to do so.  He's been passed by a true freshman who has only been at Auburn for 4 months.  Woody had a redshirt year last year.  That should tell you something.

Sometimes all potential means is that you haven't done jack.

Yeah I remember when I was at Auburn and I chose not to date Katherine Webb.  I was just like nah...

Just now, ToomersStreet said:

Yeah I remember when I was at Auburn and I chose not to date Katherine Webb.  I was just like nah...

Except that wasn't really in your control.  This was in Woody's control.  There isn't some coaches conspiracy to keep Woody down.  Woody is his own biggest impediment.

Just now, TitanTiger said:

Except that wasn't really in your control.  This was in Woody's control.  There isn't some coaches conspiracy to keep Woody down.  Woody is his own biggest impediment.

Oh no that was totally in my control.  You have no idea how strong my game is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

15 hours ago, Rednilla said:

QB could become a problem if White and Barrett both transfer AND we have injuries, but we're in a better position at quarterback than virtually any other team in college football. Willis has the makings of a great QB in this offense, and Stidham looks like a world beater behind center. That means we'll have have at least two viable candidates for the next two years (I REALLY don't expect Stidham to go pro after just one season), plus whomever we might sign on the recruiting trail. I mean, honestly, we are perhaps in the best position at QB in college football right now; what more could be done to make you happy?

We haven't always fared well when we've mistaken the uncertain for the certain. Aside from having a returning, healthy, proven stud at QB- and a returning, proven playcaller- we look as good as we could hope for. But that's a massive distinction until it isn't. 

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

We haven't always fared well when we've mistaken the uncertain for the certain. Aside from having a returning, healthy, proven stud at QB- and a returning, proven playcaller- we look as good as we could hope for. But that's a massive distinction until it isn't. 

QB at a power 5 school can always be volatile. It is also the most unpredictable position even for colleges.

Look at Alabama with all their success at recruiting top level QBs..in the last 2 years, I think over 4 or 5 have transferred due to various reason, but mostly lack of playing time or not having success when they did play.

We have even less a cushion over the last 4-5 years. IF it wasnt for transfers (Newton, Marshall..and possibly now Stidham), we would have had a disaster at QB. We havent always recruited consistent top level QBs in recruiting.

So this year, I feel we are in the best shape POSSIBLE with Stidham, SW and potential futures in Willis. 

BArrett is struggling..so  who knows there..

9 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

QB at a power 5 school can always be volatile. It is also the most unpredictable position even for colleges.

Look at Alabama with all their success at recruiting top level QBs..in the last 2 years, I think over 4 or 5 have transferred due to various reason, but mostly lack of playing time or not having success when they did play.

We have even less a cushion over the last 4-5 years. IF it wasnt for transfers (Newton, Marshall..and possibly now Stidham), we would have had a disaster at QB. We havent always recruited consistent top level QBs in recruiting.

So this year, I feel we are in the best shape POSSIBLE with Stidham, SW and potential futures in Willis. 

BArrett is struggling..so  who knows there..

My only point of contention is that the best shape possible for the QB position going into a season was 2014. Same proven, healthy, stud QB. Same proven offense and playcaller (for that offense).

Sort of playing devil's advocate. Sort of pointing to past seasons when we thought our QB was a sure thing. I'm very optimistic, but I'm also totally understanding and appreciative of healthy skepticism.  

Archived