Baseball vs. Ole Miss game thread (SEC Tourney Day 1)

K on the splitter to end the game. AU win 5-4!! Casey had 9 Ks. At least 7 came from the splitter. It was nasty tonight except for 1 pitch.

Edited by ellitor

AU can probably rest knowing they are in a regional. Probably won't have much left for the tourney, but that was a big win. Great job by Mize and just enough hitting get it done.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

K on the splitter to end the game. AU win 5-4!! Casey had 9 Ks. At least 7 came from the splitter. It was nasty tonight except for 1 pitch.

The good nasty?

Big win. That last homer had me scared. Good job getting that insurance run in the eighth. I'm assuming we throw Daniel tomorrow and then Johnny wholestaff?

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

It was a splitter not the heater.

Yeah, it's a split finger fastball. Either way, not the location for it. It worked out OK in the end though. 

3 minutes ago, jared52 said:

AU can probably rest knowing they are in a regional. Probably won't have much left for the tourney, but that was a big win. Great job by Mize and just enough hitting get it done.

Maybe not. Davis Daniel will be near full rest for a game Thursday. If he pitches like he did last week he can get us to Friday which should be Keegan's time since his 41 pitches today served as his bullpen day.

6 minutes ago, AUTigersfan89 said:

The good nasty?

7 of 9 Ks from 1 pitch would constitute the good nasty, yes.

Seems like a little bad blood between the two teams. Casey and the team were doing a little chirping towards their dugout after the last K. 

With regards to who we throw tomorrow- I think if you're Butch, you've got to realize that whoever you throw, you're gonna have to score some runs. Florida will hit just about anyone other than Mize and possibly Keegan, so it would make more sense for me if tomorrow was more of a bullpen day. You hope you score enough runs to win, but if not, you've got a proven starter to go for you in an elimination game. If you win, you've got that proven starter saved for another big opponent. Gonna b tough tomorrow but I certainly think florida is beatable. We'll get their ace in assuming? 

25 minutes ago, au302 said:

So do you guys think we throw Daniel tomorrow?

In postgame, Butch said Davis is starting Thursday.  My guess is Klobo.  Don't think they'll waste Cole for the rest of the week by letting him start tomorrow.

13 minutes ago, SCTiger2011 said:

In postgame, Butch said Davis is starting Thursday.  My guess is Klobo.  Don't think they'll waste Cole for the rest of the week by letting him start tomorrow.

Klobo's a possibility but personally I think that's a bad idea. He's been pretty bad when starting imo. I'm not CBT though, so maybe Klobo ends up throwing a great game

6 hours ago, au302 said:

So do you guys think we throw Daniel tomorrow?

No. It would be the same short rest as it was for Keegan Tuesday. Butch said he's pitching Thursday as @boomstick predicted in the pitching rotation thread. Other notes: Butch does not know who he will pitch today. Keegan is iffy to pitch again in the SEC Tourney. If he does it will be late in the tourney. Mize will not pitch again in the SEC Tourney.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Wouldn't mind if the rain shows up again this afternoon and pushes this game to Thursday.

Looks like a possibility. There's some rain going through right now, but I don't think it will delay the start of the games this morning. But it does look like there's a good chance for rain all afternoon, which will really affect our start time if there are delays.