Words of Robert Dunn

GaTigerFan

from Augusta Chronicle 2/12/05

http://www.augustachronicle.com/stories/02...g_3345944.shtml

article includes 2 photos of Robert Dunn.

"They wondered if he was legit," Laney coach Eric Parker said. "Or a one-game wonder. They wondered where his name was on the internet. Where his name was with those Countdown to Signing Day kids? You can test height, weight and 40 (yard) times but you can't measure the ability to put a ball in a kid's hands and not be stopped. Auburn has found a great football player."

That was official when Dunn signed his letter-of-intent at the school media center on Thursday.

If necessary, Parker let the Tigers know he had three years of game film and 43 career touchdowns to prove Dunn was legit.

That's when the Auburn coaches started laughing.

"They see Robert as a guy that could maybe be a featured receiver in the SEC one day," Parker said. "This kid may or may not qualify this season but could be close enough to get it done in a quarter of prep school. Auburn's thinking if that's the case, they just backdoored their way to one of the best players in the Southeast. Georgia was waiting to see if he was going to get qualified. I guess they thought everybody else was going to do that, too."

Dunn worried about that. That's why he didn't sleep or eat much after National Signing Day. His loss of appetite saw him drop nearly 10 pounds.

"Robert broke down and wondered why, with all these plays he'd made, why he wasn't worthy of a big offer," said Clinton Brown, Dunn's mentor. "Why didn't anyone want to sign him to play big-time football? That's gone. Robert is focused and thankful to Auburn. He can sleep just fine now."

Dunn committed to Auburn recruiting coordinator Greg Knox on Wednesday night.

"As soon as I got off the phone with Coach Knox I went to my NCAA football game on PlayStation 2," Dunn said. "It took me about three minutes to put my No. 19 on Auburn. I couldn't wait. I feel like I have a new tank of gas in life. I couldn't sleep last night because I couldn't wait until today to become an Auburn Tiger."

Dunn was dreaming of the Southeastern Conference. That's a fitting stage for ability that provided 10 playoff scores this year.

"Auburn was willing to look past all my off-the-field stuff," Dunn said. "I am thankful for that. They are going to dance up and down one day for the fact they took this chance on me." If Dunn qualifies this fall, he's a member of the Tigers this year.

"I'm an Auburn man," Dunn said. "I have to hate Alabama now. It's a whole new rivalry now. I'll rename everybody. Alabama is now Josey. Georgia is now Westside and Florida is now Richmond Academy. It's a whole new level of football for me and I'm so thankful."

Can't wait to see him in Orange and Blue

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, what a concept: a kid grateful for the opportunity to play college football for your school rather than acting like you should be genuflecting every time you say his name.

Welcome to Auburn, Mr. Dunn. I like you already.

"I'm an Auburn man," Dunn said. "I have to hate Alabama now.

146911[/snapback]

He's learning already!

It's refreshing to see a young man with his attitude. I am as excited about this pick-up as I am about any other this recruiting season. Welcome aboard!

This guy is a criminal and won't make it as an Auburn man.

I'm disappointed he was recruited.

146937[/snapback]

I'm betting you'll change your tune within the next 2 or 3 years ... don't believe CTT would offer to a person he didn't believe had overcome his past difficulties. Time will tell.

146937[/snapback]

If a legal adult can make "youthful indiscretions" and become president, surely a juvenile can turn things around and be a decent citizen, can't he? I hope all young kids who have screwed up can straighten out. Some guys do, some guys don't. I don't know this kid, but I'd say he's better positioned by having been granted an opportunity he had begun to think might not come, than kids like Willie Williams and others who keep getting courted like kings even though their behavior has been suspect.

i can't help but think this kid is tubby's otis mounds. you know otis had a bad history when dye took him in, but he also was our lead recruiter in starting the dillard pipeline. otis got his degree, and he was a contributing player for us. i'm not saying this school becomes an auburn haven (i have no idea the talent level there). i'm just saying i think he could be an example to guys that we'll give you an opportunity if you are willing to clean up your act. i'm looking forward to seeing his number 19 on the sidelines (although montae may have something to say about that)

I don't have a problem with giving a kid like this a chance. I do hope they let this guy and any kid in his situation know he is on "double secret probation". :big:

146937[/snapback]

If a legal adult can make "youthful indiscretions" and become president, surely a juvenile can turn things around and be a decent citizen, can't he?

146947[/snapback]

Odd that you would use bill clinton as an example here, TT. :D But we do get your point.

Mr Dunn can prove his words are sincere with actions/deeds off the field. First up is getting his grades in order. I think we'll all be able to gauge how motivated he is by seeing how he applies himself to getting qualified.

146937[/snapback]

You're an idiot.

147034[/snapback]

Did you see that round number of 4 whole posts

I'm from Augusta and would not doubt that another Augusta produce,Carlos Rogers had some involvement here with promoting Dunn.For you guys that are not familiar with Augusta,Dunn is from a rough area of the city where young kids are often negatively influenced by older kids.I have a feeling that Dunn will take full advantage of this opportunity and instead of being a stud at a Div 2 school will contribute to our Tigers.

I have to agree with rocketman. This is a mistake, especially considering all the class act kids that wanted to come to Auburn and didn't get offers. I don't won't to see a criminal on the field, no matter how good he might be at playing a game.

And rocketman isn't an idiot for standing up for what's right. I'd say he showed some character.

I have to agree with rocketman.  This is a mistake, especially considering all the class act kids that wanted to come to Auburn and didn't get offers.  I don't won't to see a criminal on the field, no matter how good he might be at playing a game.

And rocketman isn't an idiot for standing up for what's right.  I'd say he showed some character.

147073[/snapback]

Have you read the kid's own words? Or the words of his coach? How about his mentor? Did you just read that he's been in trouble?

This guy sounds like his head is on straight now. He's been punished and he deserves a chance. Given Tuberville's recruiting record, I have faith in Dunn if CTT does as well.

I have to agree with rocketman.  This is a mistake, especially considering all the class act kids that wanted to come to Auburn and didn't get offers.  I don't won't to see a criminal on the field, no matter how good he might be at playing a game.

And rocketman isn't an idiot for standing up for what's right.  I'd say he showed some character.

147073[/snapback]

So we should never let Chette and our guys try to be a positive influence on anyone? Just a thought.... I think that you have to pick and choose them...but to never give anyone of questionable character an opportunity seems disengenuous....

:au::homer:

Look we all know the kid screwed up but the past is the past. You can't continue to punish a kid for something he did in the past. We were recruiting Willie Williams last year and I didn't hear any complaints. We all know that if this kid screws up again CTT will not put up with it. Give the kid a chance to be a good kid. I know I did some stupid s**t when I was a teen and I am sure a lot of you did too. I am glad no one cast me aside because of them.

146937[/snapback]

If a legal adult can make "youthful indiscretions" and become president, surely a juvenile can turn things around and be a decent citizen, can't he?

146947[/snapback]

Odd that you would use bill clinton as an example here, TT. :D But we do get your point.

Mr Dunn can prove his words are sincere with actions/deeds off the field. First up is getting his grades in order. I think we'll all be able to gauge how motivated he is by seeing how he applies himself to getting qualified.

147016[/snapback]

I'll take the smiley- :D -as indication that you're just poking a little fun at TexasTiger & not meaning to turn this into a political debate [..other forum]. But I've got to say, my first thoughts on TT's comments were about another recent President who has a DUI conviction on his record... :poke::D

But back to the topic:

I think CTT is a pretty good reader of character and wouldn't give Dunn a chance unless he was pretty sure there was something of worth to be salvaged in this kid. Based on the words in the article alone, it sounds like Dunn may have matured some.

Of course, I also imagine Tuberville & Co. will keep him on a tight leash and make it clear that any further indiscretions won't be tolerated.

Yea, I think we have to trust CTT and his track record on this one. It's one thing if you're consistently signing anyone regardless of their character, ie, Tennessee, FSU etc. But to evaluate a kid when it's all out on the table and say he's worth taking a chance on is another matter entirely.

Two names come to mind. Lemarcus Rowell and Derrick Magwood. Both looked like they would be studs. Both were given a chance. Both went Willie Williams. Both went elsewhere. If the kid screws up, Tubby will deal with it.

146937[/snapback]

"CTT has developed a winning program with class."

(posted by you on 10/30/04)

Where has your trust gone? Assuming you went to Auburn, were you a prefect kid when you started?

I find it a little hipocritical that these kids are held to a much higher standard in many cases than the average student on campus. I know they're in a fish bowl and anything they do gets publicized and the media along with internet chat rooms critique every move they make. That's part of being a student/athlete playing football in the SEC. The average student doesn't get his or her past indiscretions plastered across the news media for all to see and I imagine there are more than a few on campus with their own skeletons. Do we still alow them to be "Auburn men and women?"

Yes it's obvious why they are in the spotlight and their actions do reflect positively or negatively on the University. But to say it's a mistake to allow someone an opportunity and that they won't become an Auburn man is a knee jerk reaction.

146937[/snapback]

"CTT has developed a winning program with class."

(posted by you on 10/30/04)

Where has your trust gone? Assuming you went to Auburn, were you a prefect kid when you started?

147105[/snapback]

Its not about trust. Its about personal opinion. Its like reaching into a barrel of apples and knowingly choosing the one with a bad spot because the other side looks really good. Some people feel like if you can choose between all these good players without issues, why choose anybody with issues.

I feel like others that if there are any problems at all, Tubs will release this guy. His talent may be such that its worth a chance. But only one chance. I imagine Tubs has made this very clear.

But folks are still allowed to have an opinion and disagree with taking any chances at all. Thats their right. So don't call them idiots for it.

Call people like TT and quiet idiots for backing the wrong horse then still whining about it in the football forum instead to the politics forum. :roflol:

Archived