shame won't see UGA play uat

Eagle5

For decades, it was the Bahr, bammer's runner-up best head coach, ducking and dodging playing the leghumpers year in, year out so that he could feast on Vandy. Now, due to the SEC office's obstinence at not properly realigning the divisions with AU in the East, or going to 9 conference games, the dodging of these two border state "flagshippers" continues, to the detriment of the SEC brand.

But alas, for years to come, football fans will be left to argue, imagine, or play TechmoBowl bammer vs UGA games to decide the fictitious outcome, since conference Bowl game tie-ins for New Year's Day Outback and Buffalo Wild Wings Citrus Bowl. al. won't allow a bammer vs UGA secondary Bowl matchup.

On the positive side, since both UGA and bammer will have but one loss, I suppose there is an open window to lay claim to one of the many mythical national titles, to which I would have no objection.

E5

Why are we already chalking both games up as losses? We play the games for a reason!

Hey Doug, I thought we didn't fixate on what goes on in West Vance.  Funny how now that the SEC west is (seemingly) down, we resort to screaming about how unfair it is that the Updykes don't play Georgia.  I think there are still better teams in the west than UGA.  And quite frankly if and when they play in Atlanta in December the Dawgs will get absolutely destroyed.  Notre Dame and Miss State were not what we thought they were....

I wish they would stop these stupid A divisions altogether for pod scheduling so we could play every team in the conference no more than every 2 years.

The last few times Bammer has played them they beat the snot out of the  Leghumpers.  They gave  them a game one time in the SECCG but otherwise it has been beat downs.  GA might have a chance this year, I dont think there is much doubt they will make SECCG this year since the rest of the East is so weak, but hopefully we beat them both and take Bammer's spot.  If not it will be interesting to see how they match up this year.  

It has been my observation, based on my 50+ years of watching this stuff, it all goes in cycles among the top 6 teams in the conference.  Bammer has had its days.  We have had our days.  GA, UT, UF and LSU have all had theirs.  That is why the divisions were aligned the way they were when they were created.  3 big dogs in each division.  We play GA as our crossover.  Bammer plays UT.  LSU plays UF.  You can always look at it and it's not fair that this team has to play that team every year or avoids playing this team or that team based on what has happened in the short term.  But in the long term view the folks that designed the schedules did the best they could to make it fair.  Maybe it needs to be revisited since the other teams were added but I doubt it is going to happen or that you could get all involved to agree if it was revisited.  

17 hours ago, ellitor said:

I wish they would stop these stupid A divisions altogether for pod scheduling so we could play every team in the conference no more than every 2 years.

Absofreakinlutely.  The 9-game conf schedule is long overdue.  Eliminate the sacrificial patsy fcs opponent.  

6 hours ago, penguin149 said:

Saban would probably take the Bahr's cue and fix the game anyway.....

Except ... he can’t nowadays.  The bahr managed to keep UGA off uat’s schedule for 6 years from 1978 thru 1983 (conveniently missing getting run over by Herschel & company.)  Sabun won’t ever be able to match that!  

19 hours ago, weagl1 said:

The last few times Bammer has played them they beat the snot out of the  Leghumpers.  They gave  them a game one time in the SECCG but otherwise it has been beat downs.  GA might have a chance this year, I dont think there is much doubt they will make SECCG this year since the rest of the East is so weak, but hopefully we beat them both and take Bammer's spot.  If not it will be interesting to see how they match up this year.  

It has been my observation, based on my 50+ years of watching this stuff, it all goes in cycles among the top 6 teams in the conference.  Bammer has had its days.  We have had our days.  GA, UT, UF and LSU have all had theirs.  That is why the divisions were aligned the way they were when they were created.  3 big dogs in each division.  We play GA as our crossover.  Bammer plays UT.  LSU plays UF.  You can always look at it and it's not fair that this team has to play that team every year or avoids playing this team or that team based on what has happened in the short term.  But in the long term view the folks that designed the schedules did the best they could to make it fair.  Maybe it needs to be revisited since the other teams were added but I doubt it is going to happen or that you could get all involved to agree if it was revisited.  

Yep you are right about the Big 6.  Try to find the last time a team outside those 6 won the SEC.  

Looked it up... Kentucky shared a title with UGA in 77, before that it was Ole Miss in 1963!  

9 hours ago, OnthePlains said:

Yep you are right about the Big 6.  Try to find the last time a team outside those 6 won the SEC.  

Looked it up... Kentucky shared a title with UGA in 77, before that it was Ole Miss in 1963!  

Exactly.  If anyone has a complaint about the permanent cross division rival it should be LSU.  Florida has won the East many more times than UGA and UT, including the last two.  

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 8:12 AM, PowerOfDixieland said:

Hey Doug, I thought we didn't fixate on what goes on in West Vance.  Funny how now that the SEC west is (seemingly) down, we resort to screaming about how unfair it is that the Updykes don't play Georgia.  I think there are still better teams in the west than UGA.  And quite frankly if and when they play in Atlanta in December the Dawgs will get absolutely destroyed.  Notre Dame and Miss State were not what we thought they were....

I would leave ND out of that statement.  They have laid waste to everyone on their schedule outside of the UGA game, which they lost by a point.  ND may very well be a 10 win team by year end.  They can flat out run the ball.  Averaging 300 YPG so far this season on the ground.  That win for UGA will look really good as the weeks go by.

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

I would leave ND out of that statement.  They have laid waste to everyone on their schedule outside of the UGA game, which they lost by a point.  ND may very well be a 10 win team by year end.  They can flat out run the ball.  Averaging 300 YPG so far this season on the ground.  That win for UGA will look really good as the weeks go by.

That win by Georgia over ND is about the best out of conference win by any SEC team at the moment.   Bama over FSU was pretty good but FSU not looking as strong as first expected.   

Notre Dame Rushing Offense:

Opponent         Rush Defense Rank                    Rush Yardage 

Temple                         105                                                    422

Georgia                           11                                                      55

Boston College           122                                                    515

Michigan State            16                                                    182

Miami (OH)                   76                                                   333

1,270 of their 1,507 season total rushing yardage against three of the worst rush defenses in the country.  They will lose at least two more games, and quite possibly four.

On 10/5/2017 at 2:00 AM, AUloggerhead said:

Absofreakinlutely.  The 9-game conf schedule is long overdue.  Eliminate the sacrificial patsy fcs opponent.  

The 9 game conference schedule has gone to a vote several times, and there was only one program that voted in favor of it >> UAT.:dunno:       Why didn't Auburn representatives vote for it?

There hasn't been enough interest within the conference to even make a serious discussion about realignment with Auburn & Mizzou trading divisions.  

So until the school Presidents/Chancellors/Athletic Directors get on the same page and push the 9-game schedule or conference realignment with AU to the East then everything remains the same.

5 hours ago, keesler said:

The 9 game conference schedule has gone to a vote several times, and there was only one program that voted in favor of it >> UAT.:dunno:       Why didn't Auburn representatives vote for it?

There hasn't been enough interest within the conference to even make a serious discussion about realignment with Auburn & Mizzou trading divisions.  

So until the school Presidents/Chancellors/Athletic Directors get on the same page and push the 9-game schedule or conference realignment with AU to the East then everything remains the same.

Can't answer your question but can only speculate why no one but uat is voting for it -- fear of a tougher schedule?  It's got to be easier to beat up on a non-conference fcs cupcake, certainly.  I don't really care that uat voted in favor of it.  I'm all for ensuring AU plays all SEC members on a semi-regular basis.  Would love to see AU vs UF more often, for instance, not to mention other match-ups across the conference. 

30 minutes ago, Glen from West Glenn Ave said:

How many times in SEC Championship game was a division champion lower ranked (either by the polls or win/loss percentage in SEC games) to the second place team in the other division?

Didn’t have much time to look very deep or put it all together but just from a quick glance, it looks like it happens quite often now— like almost every time. In the 90s it used to be more even with Alabama and Florida playing often and usually both ranked in the Top 10. Recently though, it looked like maybe 7 or 8 out of the last 10 SEC Championships featured at least one team who was not one of the Top 2 ranked teams in the conference. And in 2010, I believe each SEC West team except for Ole Miss was ranked higher than South Carolina who played in the championship.

I certainly understand the reasons for having conference divisions, but it’s neat to think about the Top 2 teams playing regardless of division.

On 10/4/2017 at 8:30 AM, TigerOne said:

We play Clemson more than some teams in the sec. Florida, and Tennessee specifically.

I remember in 1983 we not only played Tennessee, Florida, UGA and bama, but Maryland and, oh yeah, Texas. Ended up beating Michigan in the Sugar Bowl and stayed at the number 3 spot we were in before bowl play began. Little did we know...

Archived