next Head Coach

Eagle-1

1 hour ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

The defensive staff doesn't really need to change. If they do decide to move on, I hope whoever is hired will keep the defensive staff as is and just replace the offensive pieces. If you go back and look at Chip's old offenses, they balled out. We need an actual WR coach and I still have not been impressed with our oline play. I would call out the TEs but we don't use them so I don't have feedback on Porter. With all of that being said, we took a gamble bringing Gus in and now we are talking about bringing in someone else who is really untested. I just have not seen anyone mentioned that IMO will win more than the 8 games a season we will now. 

I agree that I like CKS and the other D coaches, but unfortunately when change HCs you have to give the new guy the opertunity to bring his guys in. Hopefully he is smart and looks at These guys resume and keeps them. The alternative if you want to keep some coaches from the previous staff you would have to hire a coach that no one else would want in order for him to agree to that.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My list I would be OK with for today (which could probably change tomorrow) would be in no particular order:

Frost

Fuente

Brohm

Norvell

Venables

Note: I don't believe Patterson, Stoops (Bob), Kelly, David Shaw, Gundy and Petrino are possibilities and in the case of Kelly and Petrino I hope not.

wde

I'm kinda digging Rod Broadway . Dude wins championships and has done so at multiple divisions.

*Edit: originally said Brodrick Fobbs who'd be fine by me but meant Broadway... the only coach to win a black college football national championship at three different schools.

50 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

My list I would be OK with for today (which could probably change tomorrow) would be in no particular order:

Frost

Fuente

Brohm

Norvell

Venables

Note: I don't believe Patterson, Stoops (Bob), Kelly, David Shaw, Gundy and Petrino are possibilities and in the case of Kelly and Petrino I hope not.

wde

sorta',kinda' guess I agree with you

1 hour ago, AUIH1 said:

Frost

Fuente

Brohm

Norvell

Venables

wde

I like your list. Mine is similar. 

1. Frost

2. Brohm

3. Fleck

4. Venables

5. Mark Stoops

Note: I still think Dan Mullen would do really well with the talent and tools he would have at Auburn, but I just don't see it happening.

Here is just one person I would look at. Ken  Whisenhunt. He is the OC for the Chargers now I believe. He has been HC for Arizona and Titans. 55 years old . Never made more than $5 million a year . So offer full control 5 year package at $30 million and see what he would say. Just one of many. Remember the program will make   north of $650 million during those 5 years and a coach with good results could easily send that number north of $750 million. Good investment.

18 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Here is just one person I would look at. Ken  Whisenhunt. He is the OC for the Chargers now I believe. He has been HC for Arizona and Titans. 55 years old . Never made more than $5 million a year . So offer full control 5 year package at $30 million and see what he would say. Just one of many. Remember the program will make   north of $650 million during those 5 years and a coach with good results could easily send that number north of $750 million. Good investment.

Whisenhunt is a career NFL coach.  Cool thought, but it isn't happening.

1 hour ago, metafour said:

Besides, to succeed in college football, you have to recruit. Who has Whisenhunt recruited?

wde

Just now, AUIH1 said:

Besides, to succeed in college football, you have to recruit. Who has Whisenhunt recruited?

wdee

I don't know, he coached at Vanderbilt for like a season or two some 25 years ago LOL.

3 minutes ago, metafour said:

I don't know, he coached at Vanderbilt for like a season or two some 25 years ago LOL.

Exactly, this is why I think AU fans thinking a Jeff Fisher or a Norv Turner would be a good choice are just dumb and why I think Tennessee fans thinking Gruden would be a Godsend are insane.

wde

On 10/17/2017 at 5:21 PM, Barnacle said:

Usually only unsuccessful NFL coaches return to college football.... Some examples include Lou Holtz , Pete Carroll ,  Chip Kelly , Steve Spurrier and oh yes, Nick . 

I guess it is possible for a coordinator to step back but none come to mind. 

4 hours ago, metafour said:

I wouldn’t know if he would or not . He topped out at $5 million and now is making about 2.5 so who knows if he would pass up 6 a yr. the average nfl HC is making less than 5 a year. We are paying the clown that we have nearly that. Make them say no. 

2 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

wde

Oh yea this opinion from a Gus fan. Lol ?. Head coaches don’t recruit they just close the deal. Asst coaches do the recruiting. Maybe if you study up instead of running around being such a smart butt, you would know that. Carry on young whipper snapper.

5 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I wouldn’t know if he would or not . He topped out at $5 million and now is making about 2.5 so who knows if he would pass up 6 a yr. the average nfl HC is making less than 5 a year. We are paying the clown that we have nearly that. Make them say no. 

JMO but no point in wasting time on people like that...go after serious prospects....

That’s the problem is Your out hunting people who have never coached ball or have already failed at this level. There have been coaches later in their careers to decide to try new ground . Look at Brian Doball the new OC at uat. He just came to college from the NFL. He seems to be doing good. Ken has been a HC two places in the NFL . The last one did not go well but he spent 4 years at SD. He has had college coaching. He might be interested in being an HC in P5 college as apposed to a OC in the NFL. I just mentioned him there are others out there in the NFL that are also possible.

This is simple:  go get Venables before he turns K State into a power in a few years.    The man is the next Pat Dye.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/brent-venables-is-overqualified-so-why-isnt-clemsons-defensive-boss-a-head-coach/

Schiano is not a bad choice. I do like Frost a lot. Remember him well playing. Very strong inside runner. However I think it was Bill Parcells that drafted him in late first or second round to Jets as a FB. One of the worst draft decisions ever. 

I have been pretty firm in the Brohm camp. Another name I'm starting to warm up to is Dave Doeren, at NC State. Won two back to back MAC championships at N. Illinois. Think he is in season 5 at State. Not a great record so far, but has them at 6-1 so far this season, and has made good progress with that program. Should have beaten Clemson last year, if not for a missed chip shot field goal. Curious as to some of your thoughts.

10 hours ago, Beaker said:

This is simple:  go get Venables before he turns K State into a power in a few years.    The man is the next Pat Dye.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/brent-venables-is-overqualified-so-why-isnt-clemsons-defensive-boss-a-head-coach/

For the record, I would definitely be behind this one also. He has come from an excellent coaching tree.

11 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Oh yea this opinion from a Gus fan. Lol ?. Head coaches don’t recruit they just close the deal. Asst coaches do the recruiting. Maybe if you study up instead of running around being such a smart butt, you would know that. Carry on young whipper snapper.

Lol. If you think I am a Gus fan  then you clearly need to "study up". How old are you? I am 54.

Also, if you don't think Saban, Smart, Dabo,  and Meyer are doing a lot of recruiting themselves then you are simply simple. Carry on.

wde

All a pipe dream but at this point I still would love to have Dan Mullen and way more open to the Clemson DC or Coach Fleck 

Archived