next Head Coach

Eagle-1

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

??????????? :wareagle:   Sorry, can't resist....this one's a little before my time, but someone will remember it.

I used to love alka-seltzer but they changed something in the late 90s and now I can barely drink the stuff. It was my moms go to for all ailments.

I want someone that is

Hardnosed, Great Recruiter, Great Evaluator of Talent (amongst star talent and diamond in the rough type), Decendant of a Great Coaching Tree, Coached at the College Level for 20 plus years. I think Venables fits these criteria to a T. 

Based on yesterday's press conferences with the D and O coordinators, it was obvious to understand why the D is stout and well coached compared to the O.  Steele spoke honestly, elegantly, and thoughtfully.  CL had the same short puzzling responses to questions about the O.  I thought GM was the anchor holding Chip down but now I'm thinking they are both knuckleheads.  So unimpressive with his prickly responses on why we aren't targeting our 5* receivers more, why we don't have much intermediate pass routes or throw quick slants up the middle, and the sparse use of our stable of RBs.  He was almost as unlikeable as GM.

I stand by my previous post on this topic; we need to change the HC and the O staff.  Bring in Brohm, Fuente, or Frost.  

1 hour ago, mom2kid said:

Based on yesterday's press conferences with the D and O coordinators, it was obvious to understand why the D is stout and well coached compared to the O.  Steele spoke honestly, elegantly, and thoughtfully.  CL had the same short puzzling responses to questions about the O.  I thought GM was the anchor holding Chip down but now I'm thinking they are both knuckleheads.  So unimpressive with his prickly responses on why we aren't targeting our 5* receivers more, why we don't have much intermediate pass routes or throw quick slants up the middle, and the sparse use of our stable of RBs.  He was almost as unlikeable as GM.

I stand by my previous post on this topic; we need to change the HC and the O staff.  Bring in Brohm, Fuente, or Frost.  

Do we need an OC to be eloquent and likable?  Steele and Lindsey are at very different experience levels in their career...I’m sure Steele is at a place where he can speak much more confidently and autonomously.

10 minutes ago, DivisionN said:

Bobby Petrino...... still waiting on that plane to land.

I was one of the biggest Petrino Pushers in 2012. But I’ve moved on. Frost is easily my first choice at this point.

What do you all think about Bruce Arians?

15 years as a college coach, 9 seasons as an assistant the SEC West, 6 seasons as a head coach for a non-P5 school.

25 seasons in the NFL, five as HC with 0.652 win percentage.  Two Super Bowls as assistant, one as OC.  Two-time NFL HC coach of the year.

Was an OC and HC in both college and NFL.  Also has experience coaching every offensive position other than OL.

Notable names on coaching tree include Bear Bryant, Jackie Sherrill, Marty Schottenheimer, Jim Mora, Butch Davis, Bill Cowher, Mike Tomlin, Chuck Pagano, Ken Whisenhunt and Dick Lebeau.

Coached Peyton Manning, Ben Roethlisburger and Carson Palmer. 

Holds QB career rushing TDs at Virginia Tech (more than Michael Vick, Marcus Vick, Tyrod Taylor, et al).

Somewhat beloved by Auburn fans for his late-game play calling in the 97 Iron Bowl.  (Late in the 4th uat had the lead and the ball.  They were bleeding the clock, preparing to punt and play defense to preserve the win.  He called a screen pass to the FB, which was executed well enough, but Martavious Houston made a great play and caused a fumble.  A few plays later Jaret Holmes kicked the game winner.)

247Sports is reporting he will likely available next year.  

WDE!

It would be interesting to see how Kiffin is running FAU after spending 3 years under Saban, compared to how he was doing things at USC and Tennessee.  

Might be one of the best at adjusting game plan to personnel.   Good recruiter.  Great adjustments during games

1 hour ago, DivisionN said:

Bobby Petrino...... still waiting on that plane to land.

If anyone still wants this guy as our HC then they do not care anything about the school. He hasn't shown me that he is a winner. He chokes every year and is a dirt bag. It really makes me sick that people keep bringing him up. He is at a good place for him right now. A school that has sold their souls to the Devil.  

If Auburn does make a change this year I really hope that they have a superstar in hand before they let Gus go. There is no need in taking a chance on anyone but a proven winner. With the talent we have, coaches should be beating our door down trying to coach this team next year. And they had better want to hang on the Steele and his staff. I do think (right or wrong) that they will keep Gus if he beats Ga. or bama.

1 hour ago, aubaseball said:

It would be interesting to see how Kiffin is running FAU after spending 3 years under Saban, compared to how he was doing things at USC and Tennessee.  

Might be one of the best at adjusting game plan to personnel.   Good recruiter.  Great adjustments during games

Dude failed as USC coach and left Tenn after 1 year. I'd take him as an OC but he has shown me nothing as a head coach. Ask again in 3-5 years

Premature thread - there are still so many scenarios that could either utterly kill the season or make it appear Gus has things going in the right direction. And I don't mean just wins/losses over the next 4 games. 

4 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Do we need an OC to be eloquent and likable?  Steele and Lindsey are at very different experience levels in their career...I’m sure Steele is at a place where he can speak much more confidently and autonomously.

It's not about eloquence.  Did you hear his press conference?  His answers to legitimate questions were troubling and certainly made me wonder if GM had muzzled him or if he shared the same myopic view of the concerns on O. 

19 minutes ago, mom2kid said:

It's not about eloquence.  Did you hear his press conference?  His answers to legitimate questions were troubling and certainly made me wonder if GM had muzzled him or if he shared the same myopic view of the concerns on O. 

I would bet on the former and not the latter....

The more and more I think about it I'd love to see how the season would turn out if we had KS step in as head coach. I know he'd let Chip do his thing and it seems like he has the connection to keep the guys fighting hard every game. No meddling and just do what he does best with the defense. Oh well one can dream... :beer2:

6 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Saban is anything but eloquent and likeable. Just get someone who has a system that works and coaches to it during the week and on Saturdays. 

Lord, I've said it too many times on this board, but "home run hires" are like pink unicorns. They may exist, but....

Every hire has risks. Look at the Saban situation. He obviously did an excellent job before going to the Dolphins. But his LSU teams did not dominate like the Bama program does now. He was in Miami, and it looked like he was struggling. Bama took some risk in taking him out of that situation.

Or Ohio State with Meyer. Or Michigan with Harbaugh. Those two programs stand above us in the pecking order, and they took proven college coaches who had weird things happen elsewhere. They stole no one from their current job.

Almost always, your options are proven winners in lesser ranks, whose success may not translate to Auburn. A classic case would be Willingham at Utah. In a great conference but with middling resources. That was Pat Dye. Even Texas, maybe the #1 job in the country, went that route. So did A&M, with all their resources.

The other path is to get a strong assistant and hope the skills translate. Oklahoma, also a giant, took their own young OC. Kirby Smart at Georgia.

Imagining that Peterson is gonna come down from Seattle or some situation like that is just ridiculous.

7 hours ago, MadtownTiger said:

What do you all think about Bruce Arians?

15 years as a college coach, 9 seasons as an assistant the SEC West, 6 seasons as a head coach for a non-P5 school.

25 seasons in the NFL, five as HC with 0.652 win percentage.  Two Super Bowls as assistant, one as OC.  Two-time NFL HC coach of the year.

Was an OC and HC in both college and NFL.  Also has experience coaching every offensive position other than OL.

Notable names on coaching tree include Bear Bryant, Jackie Sherrill, Marty Schottenheimer, Jim Mora, Butch Davis, Bill Cowher, Mike Tomlin, Chuck Pagano, Ken Whisenhunt and Dick Lebeau.

Coached Peyton Manning, Ben Roethlisburger and Carson Palmer. 

Holds QB career rushing TDs at Virginia Tech (more than Michael Vick, Marcus Vick, Tyrod Taylor, et al).

Somewhat beloved by Auburn fans for his late-game play calling in the 97 Iron Bowl.  (Late in the 4th uat had the lead and the ball.  They were bleeding the clock, preparing to punt and play defense to preserve the win.  He called a screen pass to the FB, which was executed well enough, but Martavious Houston made a great play and caused a fumble.  A few plays later Jaret Holmes kicked the game winner.)

247Sports is reporting he will likely available next year.  

WDE!

Well, he would probably be an excellent hire but I think he's close to retirement.

15 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

Well, he would probably be an excellent hire but I think he's close to retirement.

Oh, I agree.  I assumed the article was a prelude to such an announcement so he could begin his farewell tour.  The author indicated it's unclear if CBA is retiring or being fired, which got my wheels turning. 

I lived in Baltimore for a long time, so I know him more as a coach for the Steelers.  I remember him being at uat, but I didn't know he coached at Miss St, or that he is (technically) one of Bear's boys.  

WDE!

19 minutes ago, MadtownTiger said:

Oh, I agree.  I assumed the article was a prelude to such an announcement so he could begin his farewell tour.  The author indicated it's unclear if CBA is retiring or being fired, which got my wheels turning. 

I lived in Baltimore for a long time, so I know him more as a coach for the Steelers.  I remember him being at uat, but I didn't know he coached at Miss St, or that he is (technically) one of Bear's boys.  

WDE!

He definitely wouldnt put up with any crap here. I'd love to have him. He's a coach that I would have liked to play for and I could see him changing our program for the better. Im just not going to allow myself to dream that big and get my feelings hurt when we hire who we hire or keep Malzahn....haha

On 10/25/2017 at 5:52 AM, mom2kid said:

IMO you can’t do that....a coach needs to have the autonomy to hire who he wants. Can’t tell him who he needs to keep.

Greg Schiano would be an excellent hire! Was the HC at Rutgers and brought them from a dump to top-10 team (look at what they were before and after he left). NFL experience (although not great, like Saban). Excellent recruiter, can do it nationally but keys are Florida and East Coach. Coaching under one of best coaches ever. Passionate dude and easy to get along with.

Archived